MISSION: Birthdays 2010 Edition!

anne.and.eli

Eli's birthday mission arrived last night! It was AWESOME. I took some pictures, I just need to upload it.

Him: "I think this package might be from my mom for my birthday!"

Me: "I'm pretty sure it's not from your mom.."

Him: *opens package*

Him: "What...what is this??"

Me: *laughs uproariously*

Needless to say he was super surprised! AND he was so happy with everything! You did an awesome job grodan!!! He had a great time unwrapping everything and showing it off to me. He started out a bit perplexed but by the end he was just beaming he was so happy with all the things you sent!

Sadly, he knows me too well. He held up the bar of dark chocolate w/almonds bar.

Me: *looks innocent* "What??"

Him: "Uh huh. A request I assume?"

Me: "She asked!!"

Him: "You're not getting any!"

NO FAIR. SERIOUSLY.

:)

Next period is opened:

Calling all March and April Birthday boys and gals…

This mission is for you!

If you have a birthday later in the year, then please be patient ~ your turn will come….

cake.jpg

To participate:

You must be willing to send two (2) unactivated geocoins to one participant.

You must be a registered user in these forums with some history of posting.

If you have a birthday in March or April and want to be part of this mission please send me a message through my GC.com profile. (millieballon)

Include in your message:

Geocaching Name

Birthdate (you may include your age you are turning if you like)

Real Name

Address

Are you willing to mail outside your country? Or global region?

(Note some people don’t get this option, unfortunately, due to being the only one in their country signed up)

Do you have a seeking list? If so, where. If not, are there any coins you'd like to own?

What are your interests? This will help your "gifter" in assembling a fun package!

NOTE: Please do not ask me to assign you a certain individual, the missions will be assigned at random.

What you need for this mission

1. Be prepared to mail in time, a birthday mission to a recipient. (some leeway given for early January birthdays given the time crunch)

2. Include 2 unactivated and trackable Geocoins (you may send more)

3. Add birthday goodies and treats as per the lists below.

4. Wrap it up, box it or package it and send it.

Birthday Missions should include something from the lists below.

The best mission would be one item from each group (two geocoins though)

THIS MISSION IS ALSO FAMILY FRIENDLY ~ please consider that when selecting gifts.

GROUP A (requires at least 2)

Regular unactivated Geocoin

(This can be upgraded)

GROUP B (optional extra)

Pathtag

Micro geocoins

Caching pins

TB tags and Geocoin buddies

GROUP C (optional)

Caching related items

GROUP D (optional)

Personal signature items

Regional souvenir

Postcard of your area

GROUP E (optional)

Novelty item or toy.

GROUP F

Birthday card or tag.

International missions should omit any seeds and plant material.

These "groups" are to help as a guide on what to include ~ especially for those who have not participated in a birthday mission before.

You may also wish to check out last year's mission: 2009 Birthday Mission

NAMES FOR MARCH IN ASAP – I will start allocating missions on the 1th of March.

NAMES FOR April IN BY 15th of March.

Two missions for me! Thanks millieballon for taking this on.

E&Cplus3: Jonathan

Mission Email Sent - 22/02/10

Mission Name Received - no

Mission Sent - no

Mission Received - no

E&Cplus3: Patrick

Mission Email Sent - 22/02/10

Mission Name Received - no

Mission Sent - no

Mission Received - no

fiabus: he turns 25 :D for God knows what time :blink: , feb 26

1. Participating: jan 4

2. Received Name: yes

3. Mission Complete: Yes, mailed out feb 09, and received

4. Package Received!: YES, a very nice package came yesterday to fiabus. He could not wait so he opened it rigth away. A really nice package with lots of goodies to us all. Thank you, he loved the coins all of them. Very suitable coins for fiabus. B) Thank you so much for everything.

grodan Karin

Howlingmoon ~ 29 and holding on March 20th.

Email Sent - 2-19-10

Name Received - 3-1-10

Sent - Nay.

Received - Nay.

Started buying a few things today. Now to figure out the coins. :D:) Erm, there's NO WAY I'm going to be able to get any of the coins on their seeking list. ;) And the only coins I have that aren't unactivated are...meh. No one wants them, for trades or to buy. :unsure:

My geohubby You Ke Té (translate to Where Are you) as got his birthday mission last thusday. He was VERY HAPPY with all the gifts, especially the stamps! Anne made her homework by finding his chinese sign (pig).

THANKS THANKS from the bottom of his heart. (and of course, having a big heart himself, he let me have the coins....Yay!)

2010_0303AL.jpg

2010_0303AN.jpg

2010_0303AO.jpg

Yay! I'm glad he liked the stuff! I actually got the coins with him in mind (he likes the outdoors and virtual caches) so sorry it's not stuff off your want list!

Oh and the cardboard piece with all the stamps was what some of the stamps were mailed in! They didn't get canceled so I figured you all would know what do with them. :D

I had SO much fun putting together this birthday mission. You have no idea. :( I am however, quite sorry it took so danged long!

Email Sent - 2-19-10

Name Received - 3-1-10

Sent - 3-16-10 Should be there sometime next week, definitely in time for their birthday. :)

Received - Nay.

I'm going out of town on Thursday for two weeks but, I'll have my husband email me daily with mail call. If anything pops up that might be the mission, I'll post here that I MIGHT have received it. I won't know for sure 'til around the 1st.

Email Sent - 2-19-10

Name Received - 3-1-10

Sent - 3-16-10 Should be there sometime next week, definitely in time for their birthday. :smile:

Received - I *think* it arrived today. I won't know for sure 'til I get home and relax from tis trip, in a little over a week.

I'm going out of town on Thursday for two weeks but, I'll have my husband email me daily with mail call. If anything pops up that might be the mission, I'll post here that I MIGHT have received it. I won't know for sure 'til around the 1st.

SimonLimon - boy turning 3

Email Sent - yes

Name Received - yes

Sent - finally, march 22. I was waiting for coins so this will unfortunately be late to its receiver. So sorry for that. Hope you get it soon.

Received - yes, march 28

He got a very nice package with many goodies. Thank you so very much! He loved it all.

Thank you for the mission.

grodan Karin

I'm in - a MARCH (26th) baby here.

Mission Email Sent - 28-FEB-2010

Mission Name Received - 3-MAR-2010

Mission Sent - 3-MAR-2010

Mission Received - 29-MAR-2010

WOW - I was really touched by the thought that went into my package. I'll post a picture as soon as I get moved into my new place (I'm between address at the moment); But the bottom line is, it was the best present received for my birthday this year! Thanks again!

- Savoy

The way the Birthday mission worked last year is that volunteers offered to organize in 2-month segments. If there is interest in starting these missions up again, let's have a sign-up for organizing for the remainder of the year. That way, no one is left out, and no one person has the burden of organizing for an entire year. Ideally, the organizer would have a birthday sometime within the two months for which he/she volunteers.

If we stick with 2-month increments, here's what we've got:

May/June

July/August

September/October

November/December

I have a suggestion, though. We can divide the rest of the year into two groups: May through September, and then October through December. In my experience as last year's Sept/Oct organizer, we had less than 20 people each month, so it's not too terrible an organizing process. Not sure what anne.and.eli's or millieballon's experiences were this year...

If no one objects, I will volunteer for the May through September segment (my birthday is in September). This will reduce confusion in the thread, as there will only be one person to contact at a time. Also, the good thing about including more months is that a larger group of coiners (and, theoretically, a greater variety of coins) can exchange. Post thoughts here, especially reasons why the retroactive mission may not work, and perhaps the coin community can come up with a better way?

Beginning September 1st, someone else can take over for October, November, and December.

What say ye, geocoin community?

Image%20=%20thumbs-up-down.jpg

Pacman 529 and other interested people who have NOT participated in mission:

I recommend you read through this thread in its entirety. I know this is tedious, but I think it will give you a good idea of what is expected from you IF you choose to participate.

A geocoin mission can be great fun, and a little bit of education goes a long way.

Here is the simplest timeline, or series of steps:

1) You let the Mission Organizer know of your interest and your willingness to participate.

2) The Mission Organizer will randomly assign to you a recipient for the mission. Your mission recipient is the person who will receive whatever you send out.

3) At the same time, your name is given to another participant, from whom you will receive a mission.

4) Everyone is happy!

A requirement of the mission is that participants post their progress in the forums. This is to help the organizer keep track of what's going on and allows you to avoid emailing the organizer constantly. These posts usually look something like this:

1. Participating:

2. Received name:

3. Outgoing mission sent: (the date you send your package to your person)

4. Incoming mission received: (the date you receive your package; cool people post pictures :rolleyes: )

I have included anne.and.eli's original post in this thread, which includes all of the rules. The Birthday Mission is a special one, because you are putting together a birthday present for someone. Ideally, you would put together a mission that you would like to receive. In the birthday mission, participants are included to give the organizer ideas about what they like (types/kinds of geocoins, hobbies, interests, age of participant, etc), and this can be as much or as little information as the individual chooses.

I encourage you to use the "search" function in these forums and type in "mission" to see all of the different kinds of missions. Some are easy ( a coin and a card), and some are a lot more involved, like the birthday mission (two unactivated coins, groups of gifts to include, etc). Look at the pictures that people have posted of their missions, and I think you'll get a good idea of what is a thoughtful (and appreciated) mission.

Problems can arise when participants do NOT read instructions, or do not bother to learn about what is expected. If you search older missions, I think you'll see what I mean. Again, a little bit of education goes a long way.

If afterwards you STILL have questions, please contact me through my geocaching.com profile and I will do my best to answer any questions you have. By this point, you should have more specific questions that will be easier to answer, rather than "what's going on here?"

I'm a January birthday, and I've been looking forward to a January birthday mission all year. :anibad:

So since no one else will do it, I'll give this a try! Hopefully I'll get some help along the way because I've never done this before!

cake403.jpg

Calling all January and February Birthday boys and gals…

This mission is for you!

If you have a birthday later in the year, then please be patient ~ your turn will come….

To participate:

You must be a registered user in these forums with some history of posting.

If you have a birthday in January or February and want to be part of this mission please send me a message through my GC.com profile.

Include in your message:

Geocaching Name

Birthdate (you may include your age you are turning if you like)

Real Name

Address

Are you willing to mail outside your country? Or global region?

(Note some people don’t get this option, unfortunately, due to being the only one in their country signed up)

Do you have a seeking list? If so, where. If not, are there any coins you'd like to own?

What are your interests? This will help your "gifter" in assembling a fun package!

NOTE: Please do not ask me to assign you a certain individual, the missions will be assigned at random.

1. Be prepared to mail in time, a birthday mission to a recipient. (some leeway given for early January birthdays given the time crunch)

2. Include 2 unactivated and trackable Geocoins (you may send more)

The best mission would be one item from each group (two geocoins though)

THIS MISSION IS ALSO FAMILY FRIENDLY ~ please consider that when selecting gifts.

(This can be upgraded)

GROUP B (optional extra)

Pathtag

Micro geocoins

Caching pins

GROUP C (optional)

Caching related items

GROUP D (optional)

Personal signature items

Regional souvenir

Postcard of your area

GROUP E (optional)

Novelty item or toy.

GROUP F

Birthday card or tag.

These "groups" are to help as a guide on what to include ~ especially for those who have not participated in a birthday mission before.

You may also wish to check out last year's mission: 2009 Birthday Mission

NAMES FOR JANUARY IN ASAP – I will start allocating missions on the 8th of January.

NAMES FOR FEBRUARY IN BY 15 JANUARY.

Please note, due to the late start, those of you with earlier January birthdays may not get their gifts in time. Please be patient with your gifters! :unsure:

If this follows through we would like to get in :unsure:

Destiny was a May Baby (5-26) Turned 12

I (Melanie - AKA Goo) was a June Baby (6-22) Turned 30 something

Michael is a November Baby (11-17) Turning 10

Skye is a December Baby (12-31) Turning 12

I will send an email tonight **after that thing that interfers with fun - WORK** with all the info.....you can group us into one lump bunch...lol...or we would be happy to sign up for both.

I have been reading through the missions looking for one to jump into....YEAH!!!

Calling all MAY through OCTOBER Birthday boys and gals…

Birthday.jpg

This mission is for you!

If you have a birthday in November or December, then please be patient ~ your turn will come….

To participate:

You must be a registered user in these forums with some history of posting, or at least some geocaching.

If you have a birthday in May, June, July, August, September, or October and want to be part of this mission, please send me, "Penny and Kona", a message through my GC.com profile.

Include in your message ALL of the following:

1. Geocaching Name

2. Birthdate (you may include your age you are turning if you like)

3. Real Name

4. Mailing Address

5. Are you willing to mail outside your country? Or global region?

6. Do you have a seeking list? If so, where? If not, are there any coins you'd like to own?

7. What are your interests? This will help your "gifter" in assembling a fun package!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1. Be prepared to mail, on time a birthday mission to a recipient.

2. Include 2 unactivated and trackable Geocoins (you may send more than two geocoins)

The best mission would be one item from each group (two geocoins are a MUST)

(This can be upgraded)

GROUP B (optional extra)

Pathtag

Micro geocoins

Caching pins

GROUP C (optional)

Caching related items

GROUP D (optional)

Personal signature items

Regional souvenir

Postcard of your area

GROUP E (optional)

Novelty item or toy.

GROUP F

Birthday card or tag.

You SHOULD check out last year's mission: 2009 Birthday Mission

This will help clarify these instructions AND give you an idea of what is expected of you. This should be a fun mission to put together for someone, as well as a fun mission to receive!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ALL NAMES In BY 30 September 2010.

Because of the number of months represented here, I will start allocating names on TWO dates:

31 August 2010

30 September 2010

Everyone who submits their name(s) by 31 August will exchange gifts with each other. I will send out your mission recipients on 31 August. A SUGGESTION: if you have a May-August birthday, try to make this your deadline!

Everyone who submits their name(s) between 1 September and 30 September will have their missions assigned on 30 September and will exchange with each other.

Giving this revived(?) mission a little BUMP.

So far, we have three participants. Any other takers? The first round of name assignments, which will mean those of you who have been waiting will get your missions SOONER, will be given on 31 August. If you are interested in participating, contact me through my geocaching.com profile!

This can be fun, a great way to get new coins you may never have seen, and an excellent way to make friends and build trading relationships here in the forums.

Hope to see more of you in the mission!

I'll participate, but I'm a pain the the glutes to find coins for...whomever gets stuck with me, any coins are fine...I just like the suprise in the mail!

1. Participating (email sent): Yes, 20 August 2010

2. Name Received:

3. Outgoing mission mailed:

4. Incoming mission received:

ILYK