MFFTF

HeliDood

Want to mess with a FTF chaser when you are FTF?

Add a few bogus signatures ahead of yours. Call it creative writing about your experience, if you want.

Log sheet would look like this

billybob 11/27/09

marysue 12/04/09

bubba 12/06/09

gomer 12/14/09

cletus 12/29/09

pamela sue anderson 01/01/10

bittsen 01/04/10

Make sue and use different pens and writing styles

And then log FTF to see what others say

Now THAT is a good way to mess with people if you are FTF

Want to mess with a FTF chaser when you are FTF?

Add a few bogus signatures ahead of yours. Call it creative writing about your experience, if you want.

Log sheet would look like this

billybob 11/27/09

marysue 12/04/09

bubba 12/06/09

gomer 12/14/09

cletus 12/29/09

pamela sue anderson 01/01/10

bittsen 01/04/10

Make sue and use different pens and writing styles

And then log FTF to see what others say

Now THAT is a good way to mess with people if you are FTF

Now thats funny :anibad:

Also, this was my FIRST FTF, so it was special to me.

Had it been my 20th or 30th FTF, it would have been no big deal, and naturally I would have wanted to log it immediately.

In this area, (probably not unlike other areas) there are 2 or 3 people who seem to be the FTF whores. They get the FTF's on EVERYTHING, so Ive noticed.

My intention of sitting on a log for half a day, I wanted to serve just one purpose, (not to be rude), but let the 3 FTF whores know that theres a new kid in town.

I like where you're head is at!

If thats a compliment, thanks.

I'm slowly getting the idea that the only people who will get upset over a delayed FTF log are FTF whores themselves.

You want to talk about rude? Maybe being a FTF whore is rude. Always snagging the new caches in the area before casual cachers even have a chance.. Ever think about that?

It was definitely a compliment.

I am so torn though. I love to run to FTF a cache, but on the other hand, being called a 'whore' makes me feel cheap.

In reality, I seem to be a sloppy second cacher lately.

And also, somebody please let this other cacher get a FTF soon before he explodes! :anibad:

being called a 'whore' makes me feel cheap.

Sorry if it offends.

I've seen the terms "FTF Hound", "FTF Hunter", "FTF Whore" all being thrown around.

The "whore" part of it obviously has nothing to do with it's literal meaning.

I guess I prefer using the term "FTF Whore".

On every internet forum, you'll occasionally run into people who post A LOT. Some of these people use their post count as a status symbol and to belittle a person with a lower post count.

This is an example:

"Hey, I've been registered on this forum for 4 years, and I'm not about to let some dweeb with 10 posts who registered a week ago tell me what I can and can't do!"

If you've spent any significant amount of time an any forum, I know you've seen it.

There are people who thoroughly believe in this status thing, and often you'll see people start posting a lot to, not necessarily post just for the sake of posting, but posting to build their post count "forum status"

I call these people Post Whores.

I can't see any reason why (other than it may offend) the term can't be carried over to label someone as FTF Whore.

Sorry if it offends.

I've seen the terms "FTF Hound", "FTF Hunter", "FTF Whore" all being thrown around.

On every internet forum, you'll occasionally run into people who post A LOT. Some of these people use their post count as a status symbol and to belittle a person with a lower post count.

This is an example:

"Hey, I've been registered on this forum for 4 years, and I'm not about to let some dweeb with 10 posts who registered a week ago tell me what I can and can't do!"

If you've spent any significant amount of time an any forum, I know you've seen it.

There are people who thoroughly believe in this status thing, and often you'll see people start posting a lot to, not necessarily post just for the sake of posting, but posting to build their post count "forum status"

I can't see any reason why (other than it may offend) the term can't be carried over to label someone as FTF Whore.

LOL! I'm sorry, my last reply was just a joke about the "whore" comment. You didn't offend me in any way and it would take a lot more than that anyhow too. I have been ROFL'ing all afternoon here. :anibad:

No one asked about a rule for being rude or not. If that was the case, 90% of the population would be in trouble.

If you look again, I asked if there was a rule or directive for logging an FTF.

Either way, I think its plain to see that "rude" is telling other cachers when and how they should log their own finds, FTF or not.

I'm glad I'm not guilty of being rude, then. Please see post #20.

If saying something is rude is being rude, then both of us are guilty.

No one ever mentioned something about rules, or you'd see "guideline violation" being plastered all over the posts. Note that all of us who disagrees with the practice only said it is rude. Let me add inconsiderate and flamboyant to it.

And I don't think irritating other geocachers in your neighborhood is the best way to draw attention to yourself. Contrary to some opinion, there is such a thing as bad publicity.

Edited by Chrysalides

Had it been my 20th or 30th FTF, it would have been no big deal, and naturally I would have wanted to log it immediately.

In this area, (probably not unlike other areas) there are 2 or 3 people who seem to be the FTF whores. They get the FTF's on EVERYTHING, so Ive noticed.

My intention of sitting on a log for half a day, I wanted to serve just one purpose, (not to be rude), but let the 3 FTF whores know that theres a new kid in town.

I'm slowly getting the idea that the only people who will get upset over a delayed FTF log are FTF whores themselves.

You want to talk about rude? Maybe being a FTF whore is rude. Always snagging the new caches in the area before casual cachers even have a chance.. Ever think about that?

I am so torn though. I love to run to FTF a cache, but on the other hand, being called a 'whore' makes me feel cheap.

And also, somebody please let this other cacher get a FTF soon before he explodes! :anibad:

I am guessing this is aimed at me. Trust me, I am not upset in any way over this thread. Getting upset about discussions in online forums is probably not good for one's health. :) I too do not really care for the FTF Whore term. I prefer more civilized use of the language. But I don't get worked up about it when someone else uses the term.

Your post about being second and worrying about me exploding got me to thinking though, so I went and checked my finds for the last 30 days. 26 finds. One FTF on a puzzle the day after it was published. I find that most folks who are FTF hounds don't do puzzles since they require a bit too much effort. Makes for some easy pickings sometimes. :anibad: One first to solve on a puzzle that had big time errors in the puzzle. I emailed the CO and told him what I had. He fixed the puzzle that evening and it was found that evening. I found it four days later when I had some time. Second to find on a 3 star terrain cache the day after the FTF. Only two others have found it in a month. And neither one was one of the FTF hounds. Requires too much effort.

Play the game the way that you enjoy, but please try not to play it in a way that is intended to intentionally cause issues for others. That is all I am encouraging. :D

I am guessing this is aimed at me. Trust me, I am not upset in any way over this thread. Getting upset about discussions in online forums is probably not good for one's health. :) I too do not really care for the FTF Whore term. I prefer more civilized use of the language. But I don't get worked up about it when someone else uses the term.

Your post about being second and worrying about me exploding got me to thinking though, so I went and checked my finds for the last 30 days. 26 finds. One FTF on a puzzle the day after it was published. I find that most folks who are FTF hounds don't do puzzles since they require a bit too much effort. Makes for some easy pickings sometimes. :anibad: One first to solve on a puzzle that had big time errors in the puzzle. I emailed the CO and told him what I had. He fixed the puzzle that evening and it was found that evening. I found it four days later when I had some time. Second to find on a 3 star terrain cache the day after the FTF. Only two others have found it in a month. And neither one was one of the FTF hounds. Requires too much effort.

Play the game the way that you enjoy, but please try not to play it in a way that is intended to intentionally cause issues for others. That is all I am encouraging. :lol:

And I had a great day discussing opinions and issues with you and others. Sometimes we get a little silly or a little too serious. But, at the end of the day, look what we all have accomplished. We have all been able to express all our own concerns and thoughts, maybe get a little worked up about it here and there, but emotion is good. It would be pretty boring if we were all just emotionless people, eh?

I thoroughly enjoyed seeing all aspects of this thread's issue and although I have a hard time keeping things on a serious level at times, I do respect your thoughts and opinions as well as everyone else's.

We are all into geocaching for the one main reason....the sheer enjoyment of it.

Lately, I too have started to enjoy some of the puzzle caches in this area. If I get stumped, maybe I can pick your brain one day for help.

Anyhow, I am actually sad that nothing has been published today in this area as I needed a good fix after a long day at work.

:D

I love it when someone gets their 1st FTF and they want to pound their chest, and tell all the Consistent FTFers that they better watch out there is a new FTFer in town................ brother talk is cheap don't talk about just do it, my experience is it's the ones that start POPPING OFF like that , that wind up fizzling out after a few FTFs.

Scubasonic

Sorry if it offends.

This is an example:

I think "Post Hoe" sound better! :unsure:

I love it when someone gets their 1st FTF and they want to pound their chest, and tell all the Consistent FTFers that they better watch out there is a new FTFer in town................ brother talk is cheap don't talk about just do it, my experience is it's the ones that start POPPING OFF like that , that wind up fizzling out after a few FTFs.

Scubasonic

Yeah, I now see that you have 495 of them. So obviously you're better than me and to you I'm puke.

Wow dude you're so awesome. Someday I want to be like you. Maybe someday when I get 495 FTF's I too will find a way to belittle new geocachers who are more or less just starting out and just now really starting to enjoy this hobby..

Hmm. I didn't think there was anything wrong with people wanting to show their PRIDE in their recent accomplishment/ milestone achievement.

I've been at this a few months now, and I've already met some pretty cool people on the trails.

But one thing I've learned for sure, is that there sure are a lot of people on these forums that just love plucking away at their keyboard that sure come off as some real d*cks!

Am I mistaken or is this what geocachers are really like? :unsure:

But one thing I've learned for sure, is that there sure are a lot of people on these forums that just love plucking away at their keyboard that sure come off as some real d*cks!

To risk sounding like an anatomical part myself, I'd like to point out that a few of your own posts come across exactly that way.

Hey, as a relatively NEW geocacher, when I started this thread, all I wanted to do was share the story of my recent achievement.

I was hoping people would share some stories about, "I can remember my first FTF, too".

Stuff like that.

All I've gotten was 60+ posts about the ETHICS of geocaching, and quite frankly, I feel like I've been beaten up enough.

Hey, as a relatively NEW geocacher, when I started this thread, all I wanted to do was share the story of my recent achievement.

I was hoping people would share some stories about, "I can remember my first FTF, too".

Stuff like that.

All I've gotten was 60+ posts about the ETHICS of geocaching, and quite frankly, I feel like I've been beaten up enough.

To be honest heliDood, I don't think you have been really beaten up and you have handled yourself quite well.

There has been a person or two (some may even go underwater) that can't seem to help themselves from looking up everyone who posts stats and criticize them because 'they don't have many finds' or 'they don't have many hides' or, god forbid they 'don't have many posts'.

Ignore them.

Bruce.

Stuff like that.

You have been congratulated by many posters. Your OP didn't ask for stories. You gloated a bit. And you aren't the only one who has been beat up in this thread. I guess I should add "welcome to the forums." It can be a very entertaining place but you need to keep it from being personal. If you let it get personal it isn't much fun.

I'm sorry you felt that way. I thought that the majority of posts are not directed at you, but as the OP you may feel differently, I suppose.

Delayed logging of FTF is a topic that came up a few times before and has always generated a lot of discussion. The very topic of FTF alone usually generates a lot of animosity. It is one of the topics that seems to bring out the worst in some posters. And a lot of them haven't even contributed to this thread yet.

If all you had posted was that you finally got your first FTF, this thread would just be 6 posts long with a few people congratulating you. But you hit a live one with the delayed logging part.

I'm sorry you felt that way. I thought that the majority of posts are not directed at you, but as the OP you may feel differently, I suppose.

Delayed logging of FTF is a topic that came up a few times before and has always generated a lot of discussion. The very topic of FTF alone usually generates a lot of animosity. It is one of the topics that seems to bring out the worst in some posters. And a lot of them haven't even contributed to this thread yet.

If all you had posted was that you finally got your first FTF, this thread would just be 6 posts long with a few people congratulating you. But you hit a live one with the delayed logging part.

And I would like to add to this that ethics is at the center of the hobby. Whenver ethics comes into the discussion, it's bound to get, um, interesting.

Also, ethics discussions are usually intended to produce good results but unfortunately the newbies usually get slammed with a barrage of ethics "training".

Don't take it personal. It's not.

why make people waste time/money to only go : "NAR NAR but i already got it!"

Not quite sure I follow what you're saying. Those folks who follow will be caching, as opposed to sitting on the couch watching Jerry Springer. I don't see that as a bad thing. If I were to make a mad dash out of the house, in search of a recently published cache, I would still experience the excitement of the hunt. I wouldn't know I wasn't first until I opened the logbook. Up to that point, everything would be identical to a FTF attempt. No one can take those memories away from me. I can assure you that no time spent caching, whether I get FTF, 10th to find or even a DNF, is a "waste". :unsure:

Not quite sure I follow what you're saying. Those folks who follow will be caching, as opposed to sitting on the couch watching Jerry Springer. I don't see that as a bad thing. If I were to make a mad dash out of the house, in search of a recently published cache, I would still experience the excitement of the hunt. I wouldn't know I wasn't first until I opened the logbook. Up to that point, everything would be identical to a FTF attempt. No one can take those memories away from me. I can assure you that no time spent caching, whether I get FTF, 10th to find or even a DNF, is a "waste". :unsure:

That was likely well said, CR.

Lets say I grabbed a long list of coordinates, some new, some old.

I'd head out caching at 6am. At 6:15, I nab a FTF.

Am I expected to run home to where I have internet and log my find? Of course not, that would be ridiculous.

Instead, I'd cache until 6PM, get home, eat dinner, then MAYBE at 9 or 10pm, I might log my FTF's, you know, when I get around to it.

And judging by the comments that have been posted here, thats RUDE to wait such a long time to log an FTF.

for it to be called RUDE, it must mean If that pisses people off that someone doesnt log right away.

If that pisses people off, That person is just a piss-poor sport. Plain & Simple. Does anyone here want to stand up and admit they're a poor sport and make a counterargument?

That was likely well said, CR.

Lets say I grabbed a long list of coordinates, some new, some old.

I'd head out caching at 6am. At 6:15, I nab a FTF.

Am I expected to run home to where I have internet and log my find? Of course not, that would be ridiculous.

Instead, I'd cache until 6PM, get home, eat dinner, then MAYBE at 9 or 10pm, I might log my FTF's, you know, when I get around to it.

And judging by the comments that have been posted here, thats RUDE to wait such a long time to log an FTF.

for it to be called RUDE, it must mean If that pisses people off that someone doesnt log right away.

If that pisses people off, That person is just a piss-poor sport. Plain & Simple. Does anyone here want to stand up and admit they're a poor sport and make a counterargument?

I was backing you but now you seem to be changing / confusing your story.

At first you said that you were gonna hold off on logging it to gloat a little while... are you now saying that you just didn't log it because you couldn't get to the comp till it was convenient?

Please clarify.

No, I created a hypothetical scenario of a person who went out caching for 12 hours, and made him the bad guy for not logging a cache for not logging his cache for most of a day.

Then I redirected the blame by pointing a finger back at the people who have a problem with it.

Edited by HeliDood

No, I created a hypothetical scenario of a person who went out caching for 12 hours, and made him the bad guy for not logging a cache for not logging his cache for most of a day.

Then I redirected the blame by pointing a finger back at the people who have a problem with it.

See post 45. It can't be made any clearer than that.

If anyone has an argument after that then they are arguing for the sake of arguing.

Nothing wrong with waiting to log your FTF. Let the suspense get the other cachers who want an FTF get them running for the cache. A new cache needs the extra attention to get cachers heading for it.

Don't assume that everyone else lives in a similar caching environment like yours. As Ambrosia said, a new cache doesn't always need an extra incentive to be found. There was a new cache placed about 12 miles from me on the 1st. It was the first new cache placed within 20 miles of me in the last two months. Someone went out to look for it at night, in a snow storm and single digit temps and DNFd on it. It still hasn't had a FTF. It's rated a 1.5 and specifically indicated that it's winter friendly. If someone wants to go look for a cache, they will.

Practice what you preach. Don't assume that that everyone else live in a similar caching environmenmt as yours. Waiting to log the FTF is a common practice here. There are several FTF hounds in this area. By waiting to log the FTF we encourage others to think that they still have a chance at getting the FTF. When the others get there and find a signature or two on the log it sets of a series of humorous emails and texts.

Its a common practice in some areas. Just because its not a common practice in YOUR area don't assume that it isn't in other areas.

If anyone has an argument after that then they are arguing for the sake of arguing.

Post 45 is definitely clear, but clarity isn't synonymous with accuracy.

Stating your position clearly does not automatically mean your position is flawless.

Post 45 is definitely clear, but clarity isn't synonymous with accuracy.

Stating your position clearly does not automatically mean your position is flawless.

I gotta agree with that. I read post 45, and that is just your opinion in the end. I would have to disagree with that viewpoint, not because I like to argue, but because I am a different individual than you are.