Geosphere questions

WauloK

I see people are talking about Geosphere so thought I'd check it out.

A couple of questions.

If a Geocaching.com premium membership is required to get access to GPX files, why do I also get GSAK to import the GPX files and re-export them as GPX files for Geosphere? Aren't I doing the same thing twice? ?!?

Why do I need GSAK if I already have a membership to export GPX files from Geocaching.com?

With Geosphere, it only contains the GPX files I install to it, so if I am in an area I wasn't expecting to have some spare time in and want to Geocache I can't really use Geosphere and so should purchase the Geocaching.com application, yes?

Thanks!

A couple of questions.

If a Geocaching.com premium membership is required to get access to GPX files, why do I also get GSAK to import the GPX files and re-export them as GPX files for Geosphere? Aren't I doing the same thing twice? ?!?

Why do I need GSAK if I already have a membership to export GPX files from Geocaching.com?

Essentially, yes. However, importing your GPX files into GSAK keeps a secondary database that is easy to maintain, filter and modify (for puzzle caches). A full size keyboard with a full size screen makes it a little easier.

With Geosphere, it only contains the GPX files I install to it, so if I am in an area I wasn't expecting to have some spare time in and want to Geocache I can't really use Geosphere and so should purchase the Geocaching.com application, yes?

Thanks!

You can use the on-board GPS in Geosphere to create a PQ for your immediate area if you find yourself in caching area that you weren't expecting. Although, I have heard the gc.com app is easier in this respect it can be done with Geosphere.

Hope that helps.

I have recently download iGeocacher. Does anybody know of that?

I can use their server to upload the gpx files and then download them from there with the iphone which I thought was handy.But really I find Geocaching app does the same thing since your able to save your pocket queries for offline use?

Right or wrong?

I downloaded GCBuddy as well but already returned it as I think it's not so good.

What I wanted was an app to first able to be used offline whilst abroad and 2nd an app that would make it simpler to do multicaches without having to use pen and paper. GCBuddy is no good for that or has anybody other experiences?

Any opinions welcome!

Thanks

Thanks for the replies, guys!

I did buy Geosphere and created my first couple of queries.

I'm off to do some Geocaching during lunchtime at work today hehe.

Hoping to drag some friends along as well! :anibad:

Fantastic app so far. Downloaded my PQ and am ready to go!

Once you've done "Mark as Found" or "Add Field Note" with the upload flag on and saved the field note(s), go to the Data tab and click "Upload Field Notes" .. this will upload them to geocaching.com. You can then go to http://www.geocaching.com/my/fieldnotes.aspx at geocaching.com and convert those into Found It or Write Note logs for the appropriate caches. You won't see your Found count go up until you've processed the field notes at geocaching.com. Hope that helps!

We found the two caches closest to our home a couple of weeks ago and logged them through the website. They now appear as found on the website when we do a search of "closest to home". However, when we get our updated pocket queries now through geosphere, they are still showing up as unfound. There are no field notes waiting to be uploaded. Any help would be appreciated.

A couple of questions.

Thanks!

Well in my case, I use GSAK because it is the only way my Delorme PN-40 will show all of the info fields for the geocaches I store on it. If I just upload a GPX file directly to the unit from Geocaching.com (well not exactly "directly", but through Delorme Topo 7 software), it won't show the cache size and last logged fields.

GSAK fixed that problem for me by reformatting the GPX file so the PN-40 could read in all the info fields. As for the 9 million other features that GSAK has, I don't use them :)

I bought GSAK and CacheMate about two years ago because I was using a Handspring Visor PDA. With an impending upgrade to Windows 7, I was forced to look at alternatives for CacheMate as W7 no longer supports my Palm device.

I already had the iPod Touch and Geosphere came recommended from another local cacher. I've only been using it for a few days but I love it. There's lot to learn yet but I like the field notes upload and search capability in Geosphere.

GSAK will still be my default gpx handler and I will then email the new gpx to download to Geosphere. This allows me to keep the corrected coordinates and any other notes I may make in GSAK, plus as someone else said, it's nice to do that on a full keyboard. GSAK allows me to do easy filters for whatever I want then I can put them into Geosphere groups which sorts them even better than Cachemate (I find) and further searching is very easy.