Newbie blues

The Could Not Zee's

...actually google'd the term all with no success! :grin:

when searching on google for a definition start the search with "definition:" (there us a colon) like:

"definition: opor"

This gives google a hint what you are looking for.

P.S you can also ask google:

"How many feet in a km"

or

"how many kg in a stone"

Hi Again

Could anybody recommend some caches in the EC (Old Transkei) (in an area safe to take the family). This are is one of the top areas in my must do before I die list and I have just never done it. Maybe someone can come up with a good excuse for me to do so.

Cheers

Ah! The former Transkei (my home away from home). Now there's an area I'm able to comment on its caches. Having found all the available caches in the Transkei, I can say there is not a single cache that I was disappointed in finding, unfortunately the same can't be said about some of the urban caches I have found around the country. If I must list a few here is my top 10 in no particular order.

The Gap GCXBZD

FAPJ GCTVVZ

Collywobbles GC1GA6D

Magwa Falls GC1FKTF

Waterfall Wonder GC1F3BJ

Tsitsa Falls GCXBZG

Chloe’s cache at “The Gates” GC12HY0

Avian Airborne Antics GC1EWG2

Nongqawuse pools GC1GB96

Bawa Falls GC161G7

But really all the caches are worth looking into. Should you venture this way, please note Garmaps does not have very good rural road coverage in the area. I have seen some good road maps or Google earth is a good option. As for the roads, don’t expect too much. But a Sedan driven carefully should get you most places.

As for the safety. I can't think of one cache that would put you at risk apart from maybe the terrain risk on some of them. To give an example of the risk factor. I felt quite at ease parking my car in the middle of a rural village at 20:00 and completed a 3.5km walk to the sea and back. Where as I was not as comfortable completing an urban cache in Durban at night.

Hope to see some logs coming through in the future <_<

Hi iNokia

I will look at your recommendations on a map and chose a specific area for my first visit. With the limited amount of roads available it will obviously take a lot of traveling to bag all the caches in the Transkei.

I have also updated software for my Iphone today to assist with finding caches as I have not been very successful in GC’ing and I have a feeling that the software is more concerned with roads and routes than actual GZ’s. I will see how the new software works out before heading off to the EC.I don’t think it will be nice to have a hit rate like I have after driving all that way. Mind you I would probably not be too upset as you still get the opportunity to experience the area and nature (I hear that the Transkei has some amazing scenery)

But first I am off to NW for a blitz visit. Hope we will have time for 1 or 2 CG’s in the area.

GC

Jors - gotta love your link, [blush] I definitely had a blonde moment with this one... I really had a good chuckle at myself for your link...

:):P

:) Phew... :P

I'm somewhat relieved you didn't take it up the wrong way, which you could have, but lighthearted as it was intended. :D

Jors - gotta love your link, [blush] I definitely had a blonde moment with this one... I really had a good chuckle at myself for your link...

:):P

:) Phew... :P

I'm somewhat relieved you didn't take it up the wrong way, which you could have, but lighthearted as it was intended. :D

No Jors, this was pasted on the Newbie blues... anything is possible!!

We have found a couple of caches over the last few weeks and have had the privileged to "own" other peoples TB's and GC's for a short while. I can see how some people say that you can get hooked on GC's. Some are quite amazing. This leads me to some more questions about protocols.

1: TB’s and GC’s: We have come across caches which have TB's missing but they are still listed as part of the cache. I have just logged that they are no longer in the cache. Is that good enough or should I do something else in this regard. I wonder how many are retrieved and never logged. It is obvious that the caches were not muggled so someone must have retrieved the GC and either neglected to log or not have the intention to. I am sure that the owners dread this and I have decided to make it a point to log the retrieve or placement of a GC or TB as soon as possible so that the owners are aware of the movement of their property.

2) Caches; What are the correct procedures and how are things handled when a request for maintenance is logged?

GC

We have found a couple of caches over the last few weeks and have had the privileged to "own" other peoples TB's and GC's for a short while. I can see how some people say that you can get hooked on GC's. Some are quite amazing. This leads me to some more questions about protocols.

1: TB’s and GC’s: We have come across caches which have TB's missing but they are still listed as part of the cache. I have just logged that they are no longer in the cache. Is that good enough or should I do something else in this regard. I wonder how many are retrieved and never logged. It is obvious that the caches were not muggled so someone must have retrieved the GC and either neglected to log or not have the intention to. I am sure that the owners dread this and I have decided to make it a point to log the retrieve or placement of a GC or TB as soon as possible so that the owners are aware of the movement of their property.

2) Caches; What are the correct procedures and how are things handled when a request for maintenance is logged?

GC

1) Just be aware of one thing - when I do a trip to i.e. Durban for a long weekend or so, I might pick up a trackable on the way there or down there and only log it when I'm back, meaning a normal delay of a couple of days. I used to get VERY annoyed when the next logger asks where is the TB or coin. Now I just ignore it, but still think someone must realise over a weekend or in the holidays it is better to wait before you make a song and dance about it.

2) But the most annoying thing you can do is - have something like 14 finds, then, when you don't find a cache where the previous log is still a find, log a DNF. Then go back a few days later when no other cacher was there, don't find it again and then log a Maintenance or Archive request, WITH a patronising tone! I think I put off a newbie for life with my response after I went to check up and found it safe and sound as I expected and I'm sorry about it, but pleaseeee... just because you're a newbie doesn't mean you can't apply common sense, or am I wrong?

Hi Dakardrix

Thanks for your response. I agree, common sense should prevail at all times. I am asking the questions to find out what the procedures are, not because I want to do a song and dance. The reason why I am asking is because I have visited a cache where we did not find the TB. The previous log also stated that there was no TB. This was more than a month before we found it. Do I leave it at that: Surely someone should remove the TB from the inventory? Common sense?

Regarding the maintenance request, we found a very nice cache that was exposed by the rain. We patched it up as best we could but in my opinion it detracts from a well prepared cache and I would hate for it to be muggled. I understand that the owner cannot go to the site five minutes after it is reported but I honestly do not know the procedure to follow. Maybe I should email the owner?

GC

Hi Dakardrix

Thanks for your response. I agree, common sense should prevail at all times. I am asking the questions to find out what the procedures are, not because I want to do a song and dance. The reason why I am asking is because I have visited a cache where we did not find the TB. The previous log also stated that there was no TB. This was more than a month before we found it. Do I leave it at that: Surely someone should remove the TB from the inventory? Common sense?

Regarding the maintenance request, we found a very nice cache that was exposed by the rain. We patched it up as best we could but in my opinion it detracts from a well prepared cache and I would hate for it to be muggled. I understand that the owner cannot go to the site five minutes after it is reported but I honestly do not know the procedure to follow. Maybe I should email the owner?

GC

No, my response not directed at you! And your common sense makes sense, different situation.

Best advice that we all learn the hard way: Relax, don't try and fix everything. Apply a bit of that common sense in terms of logs and communication, develop a thick skin, ignore the caches that don't look great, then move on to the next cache and enjoy the game!

Seems like a shame, but if that is how the game is played, when in Rome ……………………

GC

Ag, remember, the game is open to anyone, so it attracts all sorts. For a lot of people the novelty wears off after a while, so the enthusiasm to maintain a cache too. Some become fanatics and for most of us it goes up and down! :)

So forgive people in advance, ask their forgiveness for what you haven't done yet and enjoy the ride. There are awesome caches out there!! :D:D

Hi to all the good folks.

Back again, a little wiser and more experienced in the game. As mentioned before, we use an iPhone and we are quite happy with it. It is so easy to get all the required information, you can save the info on the phone etc etc. I will happily continue to with only the iPhone but it has one major drawback. For some reason I cannot get an accurate reading to place a cache. It is usually accurate enough to get you to GZ and you can then use logic to find most caches. I have various applications which will allow me to identify my position but they all give me a different reading. This has stopped me from placing any caches to date. I do not want to post a cache if I am not sure that the posted coordinates are accurate. I also think that I owe it to fellow cachers to place some caches for them to find. This is my dilemma and I am not sure which is the best way forward.

The obvious solution is to buy a “proper” GPS. Sounds logical but which one. I have done some investigation as it would be great to buy a GPS for in-car navigation which can double as a Geocaching device. The obvious choice is the Garmin Nuvi 500 but having read the reviews it seems to be another Jack of all trades and master of few. It seems that most of the weaknesses in this device are on the “off road” side which makes me worry that I might end up with another “iPhone”.

So the next logical step is to look at two devices. One for the car and another purely for geocaching…… and of course the iPhone for the paperless side of things.

I have also read the procedures of getting the necessary information into the NUVI 205 so well presented by members of this community to another newbie. Except if I compare this to my Geocaching experience to date with the iPhone, the Nuvi does not sound like fun. I am currently using one application from Groundspeak and that does everything I need. Add to this that I might end up with 3 devices with 20 pieces of software, 50 spare batteries and chargers etc, it starts sounding like a hobby you recommend to your enemies and not your friends.

I would appreciate any comments and or suggestions from the more experienced people out there. I am not sure if anyone else uses a iPhone for caching and if they experience the same problems or not.

The Could Not Zee’s

If you are looking for an all-round device, seriously consider one of the Oregon series. It's an awesome geocaching machine which handles paperless easily with multiple built in geocaching features. Data input is simple. You just cut and paste unzipped Pocket Query files straight into the "drive" that appears under My Computer when you plug it in. When placing a cache, all you do is activate the waypoint averaging function and wait for a couple of minutes while it's all done automatically for you.

I've used it as a "Nuvi" in the car (with windscreen mount and power supply) for over a year and it's quite adequate for the job (provided you can do without the annoying voice guidance, as it only beeps to warn you of navigation instructions). It can also handle multiple maps (Garmap, T4A, OpenStreetmaps) simultaneously and custom vector maps (i.e. like Google Earth images on the screen overlaying the map). The track logging is as good if not better than most dedicated loggers.

Add to this about 12 hours on a set of rechargeable penlight batteries, waterproof to 1m, very robust design, etc, etc, etc and IMHO you can't go wrong. Don't let the stories of poor screen visibility in strong sunlight put you off. That's only really a problem if it's running on batteries while mounted on a bike's handlebars and you can't change the angle. In hand, all it requires is a tilt of the unit and the screen can be seen perfectly, even in direct sunlight.

And no, I don't work for Garmin - I'm just a very impressed owner with a year's hard use of the unit behind me and still finding out new things about it.

Edited by gr8scot

If you are looking for an all-round device, seriously consider one of the Oregon series. It's an awesome geocaching machine which handles paperless easily with multiple built in geocaching features. Data input is simple. You just cut and paste unzipped Pocket Query files straight into the "drive" that appears under My Computer when you plug it in. When placing a cache, all you do is activate the waypoint averaging function and wait for a couple of minutes while it's all done automatically for you.

I've used it as a "Nuvi" in the car (with windscreen mount and power supply) for over a year and it's quite adequate for the job (provided you can do without the annoying voice guidance, as it only beeps to warn you of navigation instructions). It can also handle multiple maps (Garmap, T4A, OpenStreetmaps) simultaneously and custom vector maps (i.e. like Google Earth images on the screen overlaying the map). The track logging is as good if not better than most dedicated loggers.

Add to this about 12 hours on a set of rechargeable penlight batteries, waterproof to 1m, very robust design, etc, etc, etc and IMHO you can't go wrong. Don't let the stories of poor screen visibility in strong sunlight put you off. That's only really a problem if it's running on batteries while mounted on a bike's handlebars and you can't change the angle. In hand, all it requires is a tilt of the unit and the screen can be seen perfectly, even in direct sunlight.

And no, I don't work for Garmin - I'm just a very impressed owner with a year's hard use of the unit behind me and still finding out new things about it.

Sounds like the real Mcoy. . I have also come accross the GARMAP60CSx which looks like a similar type of solution (more aimed at offroad than in car but can do both).

Thanks for the feedback. I will see if I can find someone locally that can read and write and try and get more info as well as pricing etc. Could you maybe just run me through the upload of the caches in a bit more detail. I see that the GS website have the option to "send to GPS" straight from the Geocach seach page. Can this be used? I have not used POI's before. and do not have GSAK and all the other software mentioned.

Thanks

GC

The 60CSX was for many years the "benchmark" GPRSr when it came to accuracy. The Colorado followed it (but didn't fare too well) and then came the Oregon. There is now also the Dakota, which has a slightly smaller screen than the Oregon and not quite so many features. Initially the Oregon's accuracy (especially under tree cover) wasn't as good, but a couple of firmware updates later, and it's now just as accurate. A friend of mine has a 60CSX and side by side, there is just no difference in accuracy between them. The drawback with the 60CSX is that it can't handle paperless caching. It's also increasingly hard to find in SA.

Uploading caches from the GS website using the send to GPS option is as easy as plugging the Oregon into your PC's USB port and ticking the box. But there is a MUCH better way if you are a Premium Member. You can set up a Pocket Query (PQ) in the GS site. This will e-mail you up to 500 caches in one go, filtered to your requirements. This can be set to happen every day, once a week, whatever you like. You then just unzip the file that gets emailed to you and copy it to the Oregon in the same way that you would to any flash drive attached to your PC. You don't need any GSAK macro or anything, just your usual file manager on your PC.

When you turn on the Oregon after that and press the Geocaches button on the screen, the 500 caches, with all their details (but no photos) and the last 5 logs for each, are available to you. They are sorted from closest to furthest and there is a search feature. The unit can hold up to 2 000 (or 5 000 on the 450 and 550 models) caches at once. You then press on the cache name you want to go to and it's shown on the map. Press on the cache name, and you get all the details and the last 5 logs. Press the big green GO button and the Oregon navigates you there. Near the cache you can switch on the electronic compass and just follow the arrow and the distance countdown to the cache. When you find it, you mark it as "Found" and can record a field log which can be uploaded to the GS site later. The cache then moves to your found list on the Oregon and your found count increases by 1.

There is an excellent Oregon Wiki at http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/ that will answer all of your questions far better than most local salesmen can. Take a look there and if you have any further questions, just ask.

Edited by gr8scot

I have a silly question, what does OPOR mean?

Hi Nadia & Co

OPOR means “Obvious Pile Of Rocks”

Please see the “Glossary of terms” http://www.geocaching.com/about/glossary.aspx for more info and acronyms.

Thank you RedGlobe, actually visited the page and google'd the term all with no success! These forums and helpful cachers like yourself are essential! :)

Hi there...just saw this post now on this thread.

If you go to http://www.acronymfinder.com/OPOR.html

you'll see the meaning for OPOR....I submitted it to this website of acronyms because I also wasn't able to find the meaning for OPOR when we started geocaching. Eventually, I came across a listing which had the meaning, so added it to the Acronym website for other geocachers.

Hi all

Back again and a little wiser (I hope). I presume that we are now true Geocachers as we have found more than 100 caches, we have released some TB’s and have two caches of our own about to be reviewed. It has certainly been interesting and very rewarding so far.

I would just like to raise what I presume will be a very personal issue and that is the placement of caches. We have been holding back on placing caches for various reasons but maybe it is not fair to find all the caches placed by others without giving back. I would like to hear what the general opinion is out there regarding this topic. It must be frustrating for the more senior cachers who have found most of the caches in their area. I presume some of them have to go quite a distance for one or two caches, or they have to wait for someone to place a new one, otherwise they are not in a position to find anything.

Would you rather have the opportunity to find new caches even if not spectacular or would you rather do the odd great cache. I know it is not a numbers game and would love it if every cache I find takes me to an amazing place but on the flipside, I would hate it if there was nothing around for me to find.

What is the general feeling out there?

TCNZ's

Hi guys... I was in a position of starting off with only two caches in Newcastle, and two or three within 50km drive on back roads... It was fun to start but I realised that the big centers had so much more. I found the only way to get more was to travel far. Just take a look at the stats on my profile... they speak for themselves. I have limited caches to go for... everything is just so far away. I have now put down a home cache in my area to get more cachers in the area to come over this side... with a twist. I have now added a few micro's to the cache these can be taken and I encourage the visitors to place them in the area... I will then do maintenance on these caches... as long as they are of course not too far and easy accessible areas for normal driving... ie sedan... It is not a must to do this but would be appreciated... I myself am not a big micro fan but for a few extra caches in my area I am more than willing to have a few around... even if I have to supply them...

On hiding caches... I hid my first one after less than 2 weeks of caching and the day I found my 4th cache. It was in my son's old school lunch tin. The hinge was broken on the container so the top and bottom just fit over each other. That was 3 years ago and to this day that very cache is the one that has survived the elements the best. It is all in the hide... if the hide is good, your cache will last... It is good that you did do over 100 caches... so you get a good feel for them... helps a lot to be prepared for your first hide... Check on those you have found and look at the maintenance free ones... learn from them.... it could help a lot...

Looking forward to finding one of yours soon.... go for it... you will never know till you hide one....

Would you rather have the opportunity to find new caches even if not spectacular or would you rather do the odd great cache.

What is the general feeling out there?

TCNZ's

Without any doubt, the decent cache is definately preferred to the ten or twenty lame micros. It doesn't have to be great, but lame is.. well... lame. A numbers game it may be, but to me quality has always been better than quantity. I hate asking myself "Why?" after I've found a cache.

I may not be the average cacher, and this may not be the general feeling, it's only my 2½ cents worth, which may well have been quite different if I didn't have 500 available caches within 80km from home...

Hi Jors

I think most people would agree with what you are saying. I don't think it is wise to just find a hole and stick a cache in but sometimes it is difficult to find a place with historical value or other great attributes. I guess I will just start placing caches and see what the feedback/reaction is.

You are obviously lucky to have that many caches in close proximity, ready to be found. We are not quite in trouble yet but we only have puzzle caches left in our immediate area and have to go further afield for a day of caching. Having said this, we have only been at it for 3 months. In the beginning it was nice as you could have a quick look if you had 20 mins to spare and do one or two caches. Now it is becomming more difficult because you either need to sit down and unravel the puzzle or do a cache that takes a while. These are great and we will do them in time but they do not work as a spur of the moment cache. I am thinking of the guys that have been doing this for years. It must be really tough for them. I can only imagine how easy it would be for these cachers to loose interest over time if they have to plan a long trip in a certain direction to pick up one or two caches and then go in the opposite direction for the next one. You could end up doing a lot of km's for one isolated cache. If you look at the ranking page you notice how many cachers have not been active for months. I am sure there are a variety of reasons for this but it may be less likely to happen if they have an abundance of caches to choose from. I have looked at the amount of caches placed by Dakardrix and BruceTP for their event and think it will stimulate the sport and keep people interested.

We will be hunting for spots and see if we can drop off a couple of caches.

TCNZ's

Edited by The Could Not Zee's

Hi guys... I was in a position of starting off with only two caches in Newcastle, and two or three within 50km drive on back roads... It was fun to start but I realised that the big centers had so much more. I found the only way to get more was to travel far. Just take a look at the stats on my profile... they speak for themselves. I have limited caches to go for... everything is just so far away. I have now put down a home cache in my area to get more cachers in the area to come over this side... with a twist. I have now added a few micro's to the cache these can be taken and I encourage the visitors to place them in the area... I will then do maintenance on these caches... as long as they are of course not too far and easy accessible areas for normal driving... ie sedan... It is not a must to do this but would be appreciated... I myself am not a big micro fan but for a few extra caches in my area I am more than willing to have a few around... even if I have to supply them...

On hiding caches... I hid my first one after less than 2 weeks of caching and the day I found my 4th cache. It was in my son's old school lunch tin. The hinge was broken on the container so the top and bottom just fit over each other. That was 3 years ago and to this day that very cache is the one that has survived the elements the best. It is all in the hide... if the hide is good, your cache will last... It is good that you did do over 100 caches... so you get a good feel for them... helps a lot to be prepared for your first hide... Check on those you have found and look at the maintenance free ones... learn from them.... it could help a lot...

Looking forward to finding one of yours soon.... go for it... you will never know till you hide one....

Hi Wazat,

It is great to know that you would be willing to assist in cache maintenance in your area. We have done the Mooirivier area and were thinking of planting a cache near Escort but decided against it in the end. Next time we go in that direction I will definitely leave some for you to find. It must be very frustrating not to be able to go hunting without serious traveling although you still seem to be doing well in the numbers and the nabbing of FTF’s.

Some FTF’s coming up for you in the near future.

Tcnz’s

Edited by The Could Not Zee's