Newbie blues

The Could Not Zee's

Hi there

Just thought I would post this and get some feedback.

I stumbled accross GC by accident while downloading applications to my IPhone. Sounded really interesting so we decided to give it a go. The idea of getting access to the interesting places other people find sounds awesome. We have attempted 10 caches with a hit rate of 2. I am not an expert on this but this does not seem like a good ratio. I am not sure if this is a reflection on my skills, the quality of my GPS, the rain which has resulted in long grass and big bushes, or a combination of. Any comments or advise in this regard will be great

Welcome to the wonderful world of Geocaching! For starters, as a Newbie, you have done a great thing to get connected on the Forum. That is a good way to get a feel of things and what geocaching is all about, as well as "get to know" the various, active geocachers in RSA.

In terms of your hit rate, it is not so bad. Your GPS, the weather, the terrain, etc. all play a role in finding a cache. But most important, as you gain more experience, you'll start to notice things "out of place" or "this is not the spot where a cache should be hidden" and then that will help you to find the cache. Also, getting to know how certain cachers hide their caches, helps too.

We first started caching using our Nuvi 710, which is essentially a street navigator. We managed to successfully find 30 hides with it and also had some DNFs (Did Not Finds). We then realised we needed something a little more geared for geocaching, and invested in the Garmin eTrex Vista HCx. Now we also use our iPod Touch for the paperless side of things (we used to use a little programme that Rolf wrote for his cellphone, but it was too limiting).

There have been many times that we have not been able to find hides, so it is very normal. Even now, we get DNFs.

Our advice is that you will get into it as you do more of it and your hit rate will certainly improve. The main thing is not to give up and not to feel put off by not finding the caches. Keep at it and you'll soon discover the gems that you never knew existed! If you can, attend an Event if one comes up near to you and get to meet the wonderful geocachers around.

Good Luck and hang in there!

GEO936

PS: (You are welcome to give us a call (the PAF (Phone A Friend) option, if you get stuck on a cache that we have previously found. Email us via the link in GC.com for our number). :)

First off all welcome...

And then just to add to what Geo936 has said already. I use my Nuvi 710 and my cell phone. (nokia E66 ) On the Nokia I got am application called Geocache navigator by Trimble.

Now Trimble is an amazing application and fairly inexpensive as well. As you get all the info needed regarding the cache. Ie Wright up, log entries and hints.

And the nice thing is you can use it on the fly. meaning you can go online any where and see if there is a cache nearby. And 9/10 its more accurate than the nuvi. Witch help when it comes to finding GZ ( Ground Zero)

Now this might help you to start off and see if you at least like Geocachcing before going out to get a proper GPS device.

Hope this helps..

Regards

Freddie :)

If I could only give one hint, it would be trust your GPS, but not much. Depending on reception, your GPS is only accurate to a few metres and the person who hid it's GPS is also accurate to a few meters. That means that when your GPS says you are standing right on it (geocachers call that "ground zero"(GZ)) that you must draw an imaginary circle around youself about 5m in all directions. The cache should be hidden in that circle (occasionally the circle needs to be 20m big!). If you are at GZ, put away the GPS and ask yourself, where you would hide that silly Tupperware? Look at the cache size to get more of an idea. If it's a micro, it could be very sneaky....

magnetic, camo-ed etc. If it's an urban cache, it could be a disguised every day object.

Decrypt the hints before you go (in the beginning).

Read between the lines in the previous logs. They often contain little hints.

Hope that helps a little!

I noticed you were in the area that was visited by us during December. You can contact me if the caches were visited by me via e-mail. There are some different caches in Natal and the quicker you find them the more you will learn. Welcome to geocaching and I hope to see many more finds and that you will enjoy them. Gerhard

Welcome!

I have been at the game exactly 1 year now. What I enjoy the most is the interesting places that I have discovered very close to where I travel everyday between my home and work - let alone the rest of the country! You will surely increase your skills as you keep at it. Some days I get 10/10 :D and a week ago I had a day when I found 0/4. :):P I have to say I think it is all part of the game.

Happy caching.

ooh if you were caching in Natal, some of the cachers there are sneaky buggers, and they like to make their own nefarious cache containers to not look like caches!

Good luck :)

Agreed - KZN has some sneaky hides. Look at the hide rating - the difficulty of the stars on the caches you looked for.

also look at the hints / previous logs and cqache description. This should all give an idea of how easy / difficult it is to find a particular cache.

Enjoy and we look forward to many more stories of sucess from you int eh future.

I have been reading the forum on the Iphone and it seems that some are OK and some not so. I will monitor and see how it goes.

Just another question that has been in the back of my mind. What is appropriate as items to add to caches. I have only found 2 caches, the one contained a small plastic soldier and the other a single dice. This tells me that anything is OK but I cannot think of things to obtain as items to swop. Especially in the small caches (the only ones I have seen).

Maybe I should look for a larger cache next to form a better idea of the type of items used in caches.

Please stay away from food stuff. Animals can smell it from distance and your cache will be eaten mainly by rodents. Also stay away from lighters inside the container. We had two incidents with cachers where these exploded after removal from the caches. Matches and fireworks is a no no as well. I came across several items such as energy pills which should not be in the cache. I also found some liquor in a cache. Nice idea but never practical.

In most caches you will little things for the kids. The girls are normally on the short end. Not much for them to choose from. Use small cars, coins, marbles, old medallions that are no longer of value, small ornaments, soldiers, dolls, stickers, etc. With time you will find the best options in what to place and what not to place. I placed several items of higher value but this is not very good. Your cache does get downgraded with time with less wanted items. Gerhard

We usually go to a chinese run toy shop in Randburg (although after all the guns I saw on sale there before Christmas I was really put off to go there again!), and buy small but inexpensive toys for putting in caches.

Bright and interesting erasers are a hit with the kids, so are bouncy balls, little animals, whistles, etc. Anything that a kid will have fun with, and it is simple and does not cost the earth. Sometimes, you can actually find useful things too - we once traded with this tiny spatula from tupperware and it is a brilliant gadget for me when I'm in the kitchen.

And some girls love the guy things - my daughter has often taken a car from a cache.

But really, if you look around at most toy shops and those large plastic wholesalers (there are a number around here like Plastic Warehouse or Westpack Plastics, etc.) and you'll find loads of goodies. In Durbs I'm sure you could pick up some nice novelties at the markets?

Another thing that we do, is look out for goodies wherever we go. Sometimes you can pick up so great goodies of various sizes, for under R10. So they will put a smile on a kid's face and they don't cost the earth.

We also ge a variety of sizes of goodies, so that we have something for all sizes of caches.

We do get a little annoyed when we find broken or dirty items in caches. Things that are also not good are hand lotions or creams or hotel shampoos. We have found these on more than one occasion and they have leaked inside the cache, and the cache got all gooey and sticky and wet!! Yuck!

Hi there

I would like to thank everyone for their responses. I think this post may help a lot of newbies. I must compliment everyone for their patience for questions that I am sure have been asked a million times. I must say that I have been made to feel very welcome.

I have some more questions after further research. Can TB's and geocoins only be obtained from overseas; meaning are there local sources and or can you have something registered as a TB or geocoin and obtain a tracking number when registered.

One again, thanks for the friendly advice and patience with a newbie

Edited by systemguy2000

You must not be ashamed to ask questions. It is better this way than to learn the hard way. Only a person that thinks are the one asking questions.

You can contact GreenJam with regards to coins. He sometimes brings them into the country in Bulk and in a safer way. Drop him a private e-mail – he is a nice person and I am sure he will help you.

Last but not least there is one bit of information that could add value to you. If you are angry with the cache owner for some reason - try to cool down for about 4 days before you write that nasty logs. In the beginning I jumped on several cachers. You will find one sooner or later that will annoy the daylight out of you. It is now much better – I only do it in once in every 4 logs. (lol) No – it is not that serious anymore. If you have to write the nasty log - do a very short one such as “Found, thanks”. Normally the cache owner will be able to read between the lines. If you like the caches please try to write a longer log. Normally the cache owner will like it and it builds positive relationships.

Here are some links that can help you. Just click on them and download the info as needed.

RSA Shop

Cacher Jargon

LogSheets

Just another question that has been in the back of my mind. What is appropriate as items to add to caches. I have only found 2 caches, the one contained a small plastic soldier and the other a single dice. This tells me that anything is OK but I cannot think of things to obtain as items to swop. Especially in the small caches (the only ones I have seen).

Cache Contents Guideline

Cache Contents Tips

Maybe this will be of some value to you as well. Some stats information and a place where you see the progress of cachers. With this info you will start to learn the names and later on you will be able to add the faces easier when you meet them at a cache or at an event.

RSA Cachers

RSA Cacher Ranking

Hiking Skills and Outdoors

Last but not least if you are done with all of the above information you need to write a test – pass mark is only 95%. Sorry I got carried away. You now have all that is needed to have a good start. I am now above 1000 finds and I still learn everyday something new. The best teacher is “Do it”, sometimes you will fail but keep on doing it. Gerhard

I have been reading the forum on the Iphone and it seems that some are OK and some not so. I will monitor and see how it goes.

Maybe I should look for a larger cache next to form a better idea of the type of items used in caches.

HAHA, a small soldier in a cache means the famous Tricky Vickey and Mickey have found the cache :anibad:

Hi to all the CG's that have been talking to me.

As you may notice, this is a new me (The Could Not Zee's).

Just a short explanation, as I mentioned before, I stumbled accross CG while searching for apps. It looked interesting and I registered a username to get more info. Systemguy2000 was the only thing I could come up with at short notice (I have used this before on a technical forum after attempting all other meaningfull names that were all taken). Well me and my family have decided that we will stick with this hobby and see where it leads. I have therefore decided to change our handle to "The Could Not Zee's" as a wordplay on our surname as well as a description of our first couple of efforts at finding caches.

Regards

(Ex Systemguy2000)

Edited by The Could Not Zee's

If you cache in the Western Cape, we will accept R200 notes, R500 gift vouchers to Woolies, Vouchers for spa treatments or week ends away, jewelry......... :unsure:

If you cache in the Western Cape, we will accept R200 notes, R500 gift vouchers to Woolies, Vouchers for spa treatments or week ends away, jewelry......... :unsure:

Hi CapeDoc

I will definately be heading your way in the future. Thanks for the info. I will come and inspect (and collect) all the R 200 notes, Woolies vouches etc and enjoy a great holiday. (Remember that I am a Newbie and can therefore not be blamed for my ignorance)

smallest - probably about the size of an eraser on a pencil (most common of the nanos) =

Largest - quite often a "normal" or "large" will be a 2 - 5 litre icream tub size - up to an ammo box (metal type - not massive plastic type common in SADF).

Often a Tupperware type lunch-box will be the average of the bigger containers used.

The biggest container we have found was a 20 kg washing powder container (or something like that), in KZN. Cache in question was NabrascacheZA (GCPCGX).

I see it has been taken over by GerhardoosMPsa, and still has so few hits (only 24).

I'll do a check to see how many caches in ZA are said to be "large".

Hi there

I would like to thank everyone for their responses. I think this post may help a lot of newbies. I must compliment everyone for their patience for questions that I am sure have been asked a million times. I must say that I have been made to feel very welcome.

I have some more questions after further research. Can TB's and geocoins only be obtained from overseas; meaning are there local sources and or can you have something registered as a TB or geocoin and obtain a tracking number when registered.

One again, thanks for the friendly advice and patience with a newbie

We buy all our geocoins and TB dogtags from overseas places. We have only experienced one lost parcel from geocoinshop.de, which they replaced at no extra charge. Other than that we have always received our orders. We shop at

www.geocoinshop.de

www.coinsandpins.com

www.chqualitycoins.com

We've recently ordered twice from Socal Geocoins, but we haven't yet received our orders.

When we first started caching, we purchased the famous South African made Eragon-saphira geocoin. I can't remember how Rolf got to find it, but he met up with the owner and bought it from him directly.

We've made a new year's resolution not to purchase many coins this year - it is a very addictive habit (ask Fish Eagle) because there are so many gorgeous coins out there and you just can't resist to have one of your own!

There are local guys selling geocaching dog tags and other goodies. Speak to HeinG and W@lly and Geocacher.co.za.

I think you need to have a design done, approach a geocoin manufacturer and then have a certain number of coins minted before you can get valid tracking numbers onto the GC.com system. I don't think they will give out abitrary tracking numbers for once off items. Not sure though - haven't ever asked!

The biggest container we have found was a 20 kg washing powder container (or something like that), in KZN. Cache in question was NabrascacheZA (GCPCGX).

I see it has been taken over by GerhardoosMPsa, and still has so few hits (only 24).

I'll do a check to see how many caches in ZA are said to be "large".

The biggest I have found was a 100 litre, if I'm not mistaken, in KZN- what a great cache!

Found one that I cound not find before. Thanks once again for all the encouragement and help that I have received. I think we may be able to participate in this. Now the bug has bitten and I will be doing some GC'ing in NW in the very near future (if time permits). I will also be re-visiting some of the others that have evaded me.

I also have some more questions:

1) When and how do I lose the tadpole handle?

2) How many caches may be placed in a multi-cache?

3) How far apart can the caches be from each other (in a multi-cache) (minimum and maximum if any)

Thx once again.

Found one that I cound not find before. Thanks once again for all the encouragement and help that I have received. I think we may be able to participate in this. Now the bug has bitten and I will be doing some GC'ing in NW in the very near future (if time permits). I will also be re-visiting some of the others that have evaded me.

3) How far apart can the caches be from each other (in a multi-cache) (minimum and maximum if any)

Thx once again.

So many questions...

1. To change the avatar associated with your name (I think that is what you mean), you need to load the info in the relevant section of your profile. Then you need to log out and back in again for things to take effect. The forums run on a different server to the gc website, so logout and back in on both sites to play safe. (this advice may be incorrect as I have not had recent experience, but seem to recall something to this effect)

2. Any number but 2,3,4 or 5 probably the most common. Going more than 5 or 6 runs the risk of turning the multi into a mission.

3. Any physical stages of a multicache (ie where there is a physical container to be found) is part of the 500' (128m rule) in that it may not be closer than this distance to any other physical container, be that a regular cache, a physical stage of another multi, or the final of a puzzle/unkmown cache. The lastmentioned can mess with things as you will not know unless you solve all the mystery/unkowns in the area, or until the reviewer tells you as much when you attempt to list the cache. A often used type of multi-cache stage is "question to answer" - eg count poles of a structure or collect a date or any some such - this stage type is not subject to the proximity rule.

There are more detailed guidelines on the forums and some of these questions have been discussed in some detail, if not heatedly.

Funny how technical and complicated this seemingly straightforward hobby can become when you start scratching.

Edited by the pooks

Thx once again.

Hi TCNZ's, and welcome to the game!! :D

Please excuse my previous response to one of your questions (post #16) which probably appeared abrupt, but I was battling to wade through an enormous gc-workload at the time.

Normally I take the time to respond fully, and try to help as much a possible (that's one of my roles!!)

Quick answers to your questions:

1) I have no idea, but if you keep posting here, one day it'll disappear. :D

2) Theoretically, any number. Practically, not many - risk of muggling grows, and popularity declines with more stages.

3) If it's something you've placed, minimum 161m from any other physical cache or waypoint, but no restriction for a stage of a multicache versus another stage of the same multi, or for "virtual" waypoints where one gets a clue from something already there. No maximum, but there are practicality considerations.....

However....

It's very common for someone new to the game to want to create a "masterpiece" of a multi or mystery cache for their first hide.

Sadly, that rarely works out, and ends up in frustration all round. :)

It's like riding a bicycle - first learn to ride properly, and get some practice before entering a mountain bike race. :D

My advice is to find a few more caches and hide a few fairly simple traditional caches to first to get the feel of it, then think of getting more creative.

You're welcome to attempt something more expansive, but I ask that you please email me directly with your ideas, and I'll try to guide you how to make it happen within the cache listing guidelines. If you just "go for it" with a complex multi, your chances of getting it published without having the necessary experience are very small.

Some reading matter if you're thinking of hiding caches:

Cache Listing Guidelines

Tips for hiding a cache in Africa

Hi The Could Not Zee’s,

I kept an eye on your logs to monitor your progress and to see if there is anything I can help with. You are doing well. You found a couple of caches from Noddy. You now need to sit down and think about his caches. Where did you find the cache and where did you find the zero point. Noddy has a specific strategy with his hides. If you break his hiding method you will be on a winning streak as his caches are probably the trickiest. Also he sometimes changes his hiding method and that is truly confusing. Lower Virgin bush is not that easy and some experienced cachers were caught. I myself had a nice battle. Every cacher has a method. There is one person in Nelspruit that do tricky caches, except when he starts planting them in isolated areas. Then he changes to obvious hides and easier to find than in the town, especially when tough terrain is involved. If you know this cacher you will start with the isolated and tough terrain caches to learn his ways and then move closer to town.

There is another thing that I noticed on your logs. Please do not do caching after dark especially in parks with bushes where you can be ambushed. I had to smile when you and the rest of the team had to feel your way out of the park. I was there not long ago and I can remember that path. I can only imagine what was said in that darkness. It is not safe in our beloved country where a President can have 6 wives. Unless it is at a cache where you can see everything around you clearly with little hiding places. The Post-box caches in Durban are a good example of caches that can be done during the night. To see if a cache can be done during the night look at the little icons on the right of the listing. Every person has an inner voice or protection angel or something that will warn you. It is just a pity that we ignore it or that we lost that ability. So if you go in a park and some guys are hanging around with their caps low down on their foreheads and you are being watched and you feel uneasy; get out. It is a reality here in Gauteng. Do not do any caches near ledges or drops in the dark, sometimes the waypoint is pointing over the edge and you can be caught if you are not aware of the surroundings.

As time progresses you can also get hold of two way radios. My wife and I uses this a lot. We have cheap ones which were bought at Game. We are impressed with them. Sometimes she stays in the vehicle while I do the climbing up the hill or tree. At least we have a communication line and she can talk to me and visa versa, especially when there is no cell phone reception. Just recently I climbed around a waterfall for fun and my wife was frantic. To her it is crazy to climb alone as she does not understand the basics. At times she could not see me and as soon as the rope stops to move she starts to worry. In cases like this where I have to use both hands I place the walkie talkie in VOX mode and we strap it to the shoulder. The moment I start to talk the message is send without pressing buttons. A classic example where this could be used is at Noddy’s “Hole in the wall”. I saw the cache location and the thingy as per hint from the bottom but I went alone and I got myself confused when I was on the ledge in the semi darkness. In this case my wife could tell me to go lower, higher left or right. But it was New Year’s Eve and too many strange characters were hanging around and I had to do alone. At one point during the search I looked down and I noticed about 15 people standing at the bottom watching my every move. I abandoned the search and climbed down and I just said “These rocks are extremely well preserved”. This group did not respond but they probably thought of possible places where I could have escaped from. No people were in this area when I went up the ledge. In cases like this my wife would warn me “Do not lift the cache you are being watched”. We had to use the radios to lift the Tonteldoos cache in PE, she sat in the car which has tinted windows and she scanned the area for any muggles watching. When I heard the word “Now” I lifted the cache. To scan the area, keep an eye on the GPS and to look around for possible hiding places is overloading my brain.

Bottom line – You are doing pretty well and your caching ratio is increasing and you should feel proud of yourself. Do not worry about the DNF’s. Even the top 3 do get them. Did not finds are part and parcel of the game and it does keep you humble. Soon you will have more smileys in the form of finds and less DNF’s. Well done – you are doing well and I see you enjoy it. I hope we can meet one day at an event and share some stories and I hope to find a cache hidden by you in the near future.

*** Mental note to myself. Check all the caches done by CapeDoc and take note of the one that was mentioned. Highlight in red and in bold.

:rolleyes:

Gerhard

Hi once again.

I know I am starting to sound like a broken record, Thank you, thank you .. thank you but I mean it. I wish i had access to this forum while I was at school, but then again I don't think my Abacus was Wi-Fi enabled. Anyway, I digress.

In response to the posts after my last post.

Hi Pooks, thanks for your response and yes, I do tend to ask a lot of questions. I promise you that there is some logic behind it and I am not just asking for the sake of conversation. Thank you for your response, I really appreciate it.

Hi Fish Eagle. Thank you for your response and all the pointers. I have emailed you and assume that you are busy and will get back to me. Please just drop me a line if you did not receive an email from me.

Hi Again Cape Doc. Thanks for your response and once again (If I may) ask more questions. What area would be covered by your 20 multi and how long would you guestimate it would take to do this GC?

Hi gerhardoosMPsa: Thanks for taking the time to read my ramblings. Yes you are right and we will be better prepared in future. It was just so tempting after the 3 in a row and I know the vicinity (outside) quite well. It is not such a big area and at the time we had more than enough light. We thought we would just pop in and if nothing else at least find GZ. Boy, did we misjudge that. For those who know the area, you start walking and after 10 minutes or so you are sure it cannot be much further. Then you reach a point of no return. It is rapidly becoming dark and with all the twists and turns in the bush you are not sure exactly where you are. You are sure that you have passed the halfway mark on the path and it would be further if you turned around. What you do not know is the amount of twists and turns they have employed in the paths. Due to the size of the trees you cannot find anything visible to try and orient yourself. We came very close to GZ at a fork in the road but at this stage the GPS was pointing to the smaller of the 2 paths. Being a DJ (Desk jockey) most of my recent life also meant that we were blowing a bit by then. I decided that we could always come back for the GC later and took the bigger (perceived shorter) path, knowing it will eventually lead back to the gate. I was sure we were quite close to the gate but this turned out to be wishful thinking. Needless to say, this made for an interesting journey back to the car (as well as the better half falling over an exposed root in the dark). It was definitely not our intention to end up with this adventure but again it is part of a learning curve. I will obtain a backpack that we will always keep in the car and take with us whenever in doubt about the duration of the hunt. Obvious things to include will be torches, .. some more torches and maybe…. some torches. Other things will be accumulated over time and would include water, basic first aid and I like your idea about the radios as well. If you don’t mind I would like to steal that idea.

Not having been very active or outdoorsy for quite a while (work related) I am glad that we are learning these lessons now and in town. My actual aim is to travel SA and sniff out all the remote places. I am sure that these areas will be less forgiving.

Like most things in life it all comes back to common sense. The moral of the story for the rest of The Could Not Zee’s is.. never go into the forest late in the afternoon, no matter what the wolf tells you.

Regards

Gerrie

Hi Fish Eagle. Thank you for your response and all the pointers. I have emailed you and assume that you are busy and will get back to me. Please just drop me a line if you did not receive an email from me.

No email received yet....?

Hi Fish Eagle: I have tried sending a mail again but I do not get a warm fuzzy feeling about it. When I press send, the mail just dissapears and not being sent from anywhere I have access to, i am not in a position to see if it was sent or not. To be double sure, I also sent you a fried request. If neither of these work, maybe you can mail me so I can obtain your email address.

Thanks

G

Hi Again Cape Doc. Thanks for your response and once again (If I may) ask more questions. What area would be covered by your 20 multi and how long would you guestimate it would take to do this GC?

The cache is probably spread over an area 800 or 900m long and about 100m wide.

As to how long to do the cache?

How long is a piece of string? (....answer....twice half its length....)

Most cachers have taken a good number of hours, split over a couple of visits.

For an amusing read, read cownchicken's log...

It is nice to chat with you. We all went through the same learning curve. Just the other day I had a slip up. I went up to Magaliesberg and somewhere in my mind I visualized a quick in and out on this mountain. I must say I was concerned for a moment when I met the GreenJam team with all equipment - from hamburgers to coke to spare caches. I had everything in my vehicle from torches, to spare caches for placement and a recovery rope, hiking stick and bag. I left it there and took a coke with. I was so wrong that day. I ended up in the middle of the berg and had one huge problem. To go back is not good. To go forward is better but …. I had to switch to survival mode that day with the sun at plus 30 degree Celsius with no hat but I learned the basics again. Never leave your stuff behind.

Then there was one time when I met “Die Swart Kat” at a cache stashed by Ginger. Be careful for Ginger – she is a woman with the ability to seriously confuse you with some of her caches. Her hides are very good and some is easy and some is a challenge and different. It is easy to stumble at some of her caches. As I arrived at the location I noticed the “Swart Kat” team and I quickly went up and I sat down and I collected the cache in about 10 seconds flat. For a couple of seconds he just stared at me. He said “Oom weet jy hoe lank soek ek hierdie een al”. I quickly realized that this quick find is not good for his geocaching morale. But I was there previously and I searched for a long time and I could not find it. A cacher then whispered some clues in my ear and I knew where to find it. So I quickly explained to him that my second name is not Guru – I only had the correct info to get to it quickly. I think he was relieved to discover that there is nothing wrong with his searching technique.

You discovered another irritating problem. If you send an e-mail then you need to right click and you need to select all the details. Copy the message. Sometimes the email does not work and a blank page will be returned. You then paste all the info back in the message block and you resend until it shows that the e-mail was send properly. There is another trick. You can double click on the send button but you have to be quick. Sometimes the other person will receive two e-mails and sometimes only one. Try to send it again to FE.

I love the log from cownchicken, a good example and we should all try this one.

Gerhard

Hi There

Back again. Bagged two more last night and was stared out of town on another one.

Hi Fish Eagle, hopefully technology will work this time. If you do not get this mail we are not meant to speak to one another.

Hi TaraLB. Thanks for your note. You must have some great caches in the area. Yet another area of RSA that I have never visited.

Hi CapeDoc: You guys must be in caching heaven. All those mountains from the one that has not been finished through De Doorns and beyond. The CowandChicken log is classic and I find this type of thing very entertaining. It is just a pity that classics like these are only read by a select few (people who try and find the specific GC etc). I am the newbie and don't want to push my weight around but would anyone object if I start a new topic called Best of the best. I thinks logs like the one above deserve to be read by more people and maybe even start a culture of more rewarding logs in general. I have not hidden a cache yet but I have read that the TFTC type logs are not that well received (and with good reason). I think the website is scattered with gems like the one above but there is just so much information that they may never be read by people in other provinces. I dont think there should be any criteria for posting. If you think it is a great log and other people would enjoy it, post it. Great posts could also be included.

Hope I am not overstepping the bounds here. I will see what the response is before proceeding.

gerhardoosMPsa it sounds like you have lost of GC stories and can keep people entertained for quite a while. You also come from an interesting part of SA which should lend itself to some interesting caching opportunities. I have not found the log for the Kruger Millions cache but maybe you can give me some inside info on this. (maybe it is only available to the pro's)

Hi to The Could Not Zee's,

I liked the idea of a topic containing the best logs. Very positive and educational for the ones with the short logs, that could be the answer. Go for it.

If you want to read stories please go to GC1DDRY. We stashed this cache with the idea that every cacher should publish a story to log a find. However, we can not demand this as it is against the placement rules so it is included as an option for the cacher visiting. Most cachers do use their writer’s talent and I do love to read the stories. At present there are 11 cachers watching this cache so I assume they love it too. It is so great to get home and to notice a new story.

Gerhard

Hi to The Could Not Zee's,

I liked the idea of a topic containing the best logs. Very positive and educational for the ones with the short logs, that could be the answer. Go for it.

If you want to read stories please go to GC1DDRY. We stashed this cache with the idea that every cacher should publish a story to log a find. However, we can not demand this as it is against the placement rules so it is included as an option for the cacher visiting. Most cachers do use their writer’s talent and I do love to read the stories. At present there are 11 cachers watching this cache so I assume they love it too. It is so great to get home and to notice a new story.

Gerhard

Hi Gerhard

Very interesting concept and some very creative writing. even more interesting, is GZ. It is not easy to see from the photos but does anyone know what the actual story is with this site?

GC