help with GPS

What software are you using to load caches to the GPS? Do you have a Pocket Query GPX file? What exactly isn't working?

onemistake

Group: Members

What are the odds of having a "Pocket Query GPX file?" Come On Man.

I have no experience with any Magellan product. But more detail about where/how you are grabbing the data, and what you are using to get it on the Maggie would help.

I checked marked the points I wanted to try and find saved them to my desk top then I opened ithe loc files into the magellan geocache manager and followed the steps by connecting the gps in usb mode and the hitting the transfer button on the computer.. then after 30 seconds or so i get an erroe that says

"no unit connected

magellan exploist manger was unable to detect any exploist

make sure usb cable is connected at both end (which it is)

chech that explorist is on (which it is)

so I am stumped!

What software are you using to load caches to the GPS? Do you have a Pocket Query GPX file? What exactly isn't working?

if i had it backwords and no batteries in the gps will it still be on?

i have it screwed into the back of the gps and cable is runnning down the gps.. it should be running up, maybe?

You may have your cable backwards. If your holding the device in your hand as if operating, the cable should run down and come out the bottom of the case.

I think I am just going to return it, as i can not figure this thing out, usually i can figure things out like this, but this thing is terrible, i will biy a garmin instead

if i had it backwords and no batteries in the gps will it still be on?

i have it screwed into the back of the gps and cable is runnning down the gps.. it should be running up, maybe?

You may have your cable backwards. If your holding the device in your hand as if operating, the cable should run down and come out the bottom of the case.

Are you in the File Transfer mode. When you connect the USB cable to a computer or other power source, a menu with three options should pop up. Power Only will allow you to operate the 500 without using the battery. If you select File Transfer, the next menu will ask if you want to use the SD Card or Internal Memory. (I recommend putting everything on an SD Card.) You can also get to this using Menu->Advanced Features->Communications. After you make this selection, a new device should pop up on your computer. At this point, your software should recognize the receiver. If you have an SD Card Reader, you can transfer directly to the card (although it is a PITA to get to the card).

I never used geocache manager. I downloaded MapSend Lite from the Magellan website (for free). It allows me to import the .loc files, save the caches as a .gs file, and then transfer them to the 500. It's not elegant, but it works.

If this doesn't work or you have more questions, please ask.

I just bought my first gps and I am having trouble d/l the caches to the gps... please help

I have Magellan explorist 500 le

I wanted to get out today and start finding.. but the gps is not co operating!

Thanks for any advice you have!