Creating a Multi-Cache

CreativeOne

I am still fairly new to GeoCaching and have hidden a few over the days and now I would like to create a Multi-Cache. I have three caches that are ready for deployment and would like to know how to properly set this up.

Thanks in advance!

-Creativeone :)

My advice is to wait a little bit an see how others placed their multi-caches. Usually the idea is to show different locations, especially where there is something interesting to see but no place for a container. (Question to answer). Please make the multi fun and interesting and not a punishment geocache, like counting endless numbers. A no-go as well is not to mention what equipment or knowledge is necessary.

GermanSailor

I am still fairly new to GeoCaching and have hidden a few over the days and now I would like to create a Multi-Cache. I have three caches that are ready for deployment and would like to know how to properly set this up.

Thanks in advance!

-Creativeone :)

My advice is to wait a little bit an see how others placed their multi-caches. Usually the idea is to show different locations, especially where there is something interesting to see but no place for a container. (Question to answer). Please make the multi fun and interesting and not a punishment geocache, like counting endless numbers. A no-go as well is not to mention what equipment or knowledge is necessary.

GermanSailor

I agree. With only seven caches under your belt, you most likely haven't seen enough caches to let you know what makes a good cache location and what doesn't. Like GermanSailor said, you want your multi-cache to at least be interesting, if not fun, so you need to look for those types of places for each stage of your cache. In addition to that, there are minimum distance requirements that each stage of your cache MUST meet: NO stage of your multi-cache can be closer than 0.1 mile (or 528 feet) from another person's geocache or from one of YOUR previously placed geocaches, but your stages can be as close together as you want them to be. So there could be times when you want to place a multi-cache in a specific area, but the high density of caches in that area will prohibit that placement.

If you find an area where you would like to place a multi, you can check the distances to single-stage caches with no problem, even if you haven't found them yet. If there are other multis in the area, you will have to find those multis, and all their stages, to be sure none of your multi's stages are too close (minimum 0.1 mile or 528 feet). I placed a three-stage multi in early 2009, and the reason I didn't place it in late 2008 was because I had to find all "SEVEN" stages of a multi that had already been placed in the area. After completing that multi, I was able to shift the locations of my first two stages, and my multi was listed on the website.

Don't give up the idea of doing a multi, because they are fun, be they can also be a challenge to get started. Give yourself a little more time and some more cache-finds, and try a couple of multis to see how others have done theirs. When the time is right, you'll know it. :P

Edited by rocketsteve

The basic idea is that there are multiple stages. Could be two, could be two hundred. Generally there are about 3-5 stages though.

There is something at each stage that will direct you to the next. Most often it is a small container with the coordinates of the next stage. It could however be an object that provides the coordinates for the next stage. Hope this helps. If not feel free to e-mail me.

Edited by briansnat

I hope this topic will be picked up as I'm thinking to place a multicache with starting point close to my existing one. The thing is, there are two churches right next to eachother and I already placed a standard cache. I'm planning to split it into two ChurchMicro, the existing will stay in its place and another, multi with physical somewhere else. Is is something I can do?

39 minutes ago, adahen said:

I'm planning to split it into two ChurchMicro, the existing will stay in its place and another, multi with physical somewhere else. Is is something I can do?

Yes, that is possible. Only if you have two physical stages (as the one final cache box is) too close together (160 metres or less) you get problems.

Having one final there and virtual stages of the multi cache ("How many windows do you see?" but not "I have written a number to the lamb post.") don't collide.

Jochen

PS: If the final is a little bit away from the church why do you need to make it a micro? Isn't there an area nearby where you can hide a bigger cache? Just a question as the answer is usually clear next to the church but not for boxes being somewhere else. :-)

2 minutes ago, frostengel said:

Yes, that is possible. Only if you have two physical stages (as the one final cache box is) too close together (160 metres or less) you get problems.

Having one final there and virtual stages of the multi cache ("How many windows do you see?" but not "I have written a number to the lamb post.") don't collide.

Jochen

PS: If the final is a little bit away from the church why do you need to make it a micro? Isn't there an area nearby where you can hide a bigger cache? Just a question as the answer is usually clear next to the church but not for boxes being somewhere else. :-)

If I understand this right, virtual starting point of the multicache can be close to other, physical. I'm planning to place other stage(s) further from the starting point.

As per your post scriptum - it's an urban area, I'm really looking for a place to hide a bigger cache. The ones I find are awkward and/or with pile of rubbish. Already had to clean area by mine cache. I'm trying to hide something bigger, stay with me ^_^

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, adahen said:

If I understand this right, virtual starting point of the multicache can be close to other, physical.

It is quite easy: anything that is virtual does not collide with anything else. And - that maybe important later - physical stages of one cache do not collide either so you might hide 5 physical stages of the same cache in the same location (if this makes sense ;-)).

Only two physical stages from different caches have to be more than 160 metres apart. It is important to know that not any physical stage is shown on "the map with the red circles" (when you hide a cache) as obviously physical stages may be hidden to other owners (as your new final location will be!).

Have fun!