Hostile encounters.

Vivaxia

I've been caching with my younger brother for a little over a week now... I know it's probably not long enough to form any strong opinions but I wanted to post my experience anyway.

Every search up until this point was great even if we didn't find anything we had fun trying to look and be stealthy about it.

We've done mostly urban stuff around businesses and a couple residential ones and have had no problems.

Anyway.. we went out around noon today and took our mom and a friend of my brothers with us. We found the first cache in a moderately busy parking lot and moved on to the next one that was in a residential area. When we got to where the cache was hidden we parked in a legal area that wasn't even in front of someones home and set to searching in a little decorative side yard. After looking for about a minute this older man started walking towards us from down the street and yelled,

"What are you looking for?"

My mother answered,

"Oh it's kind of a treasure hunt someone in the neighborhood hid for us!"

So he yells back,

"There ain't no treasures here!" and releases his dog off the leash for whatever reason (it wasn't a very threatening animal) but we got back into our car and left.

I know it could have been much worse but it's kind of turned me off from residential caches. I don't want people calling the cops thinking I'm stealing something.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

It has happened to us. It has happened in commercial areas too in which not only was permission given to place the cache but the name of the person who gave permission was posted on the cache page. Still a tyrannical security guard yelled at us. (We are always polite and say yes sir and leave in those encounters, with a quick email to the cache owner letting them know what happened.) Some folks are just cranky by nature I think. In our years of caching, with over 1400 finds, we have had only a small number of bad encounters. No more than perhaps 5 or so. You will have far more pleasant encounters with strangers, fellow cachers and law enforcement/security people than you will ever have negative ones. Dont let one experience get to you.

I've been caching with my younger brother for a little over a week now... I know it's probably not long enough to form any strong opinions but I wanted to post my experience anyway.

Every search up until this point was great even if we didn't find anything we had fun trying to look and be stealthy about it.

We've done mostly urban stuff around businesses and a couple residential ones and have had no problems.

Anyway.. we went out around noon today and took our mom and a friend of my brothers with us. We found the first cache in a moderately busy parking lot and moved on to the next one that was in a residential area. When we got to where the cache was hidden we parked in a legal area that wasn't even in front of someones home and set to searching in a little decorative side yard. After looking for about a minute this older man started walking towards us from down the street and yelled,

"What are you looking for?"

My mother answered,

"Oh it's kind of a treasure hunt someone in the neighborhood hid for us!"

So he yells back,

"There ain't no treasures here!" and releases his dog off the leash for whatever reason (it wasn't a very threatening animal) but we got back into our car and left.

I know it could have been much worse but it's kind of turned me off from residential caches. I don't want people calling the cops thinking I'm stealing something.

Well you can't cache for any lengh of time without running into a few bad situations, don't let it bother you and just keep caching.

ScubaSonic

I definitely don't plan on giving up caching, and I've even had a few great residential hides

(GC110TW in particular)

It's just that I'll probably research the area a bit better before heading out into the neighborhoods.

Edited by Vivaxia

I definitely don't plan on giving up caching, and I've even had a few great residential hides

(GC110TW in particular)

It's just that I'll probably research the area a bit better before heading out into the neighborhoods.

Good attitude I have over 4370 finds and I can probably count on 1 hand the number of bad encounters I have had most all are very possitive. Just move on to the next cache there is always another.

Scubasonic

Some people are just a little edgy.

I have had the encounter with the grumpy residential person. I was looking for a cache that was on a small bridge and the only place to park was in front of someones house. The had made the neighborhood very unfriendly for visitors with blocking parking and such. Anyhow, this guy was working in his incredibly perfect front yard when we pulled up. He grumpily asked us if we needed help with anything. You know, that "why the heck are you near me" type of "can I help you with something?" comment.

We just said "no, we knew what we were looking for" and he asked why we were parking there (in front of the corner of his perfect yard). I just replied that we would only be there for a few minutes and we weren't causing any problems. He made some under the breath comments and turned to his (I am guessing) spouse who had come out to investigate those people who dared to park near their perfect yard. And we went for the cache.

The guy really chapped me for some reason. We weren't even close to trespassing, not disrespectful, not doing anything odd, or illegal. Don't know what his problem was.

Maybe it was the pink plaid flannel or something.

After over 1000 finds, I can't say I've ever had that problem. We've encountered law enforcement twice. The first time was in New Hampshire. We were in the woods along the side of a rural road searching under a fallen log when the cop pulls up, looks at us, and says... "are you looking for that...geo-cache?". Apparently we weren't the first people he found in that particular triangle of woods :anibad: The second time was in Colorado, when we stopped along a relatively busy stretch of US 287 looking for (what else?) a guard rail cache. After making the find, logging it, and returning it to it's spot, we saw a Colorado State Patrol cruiser behind the cachemobile, who had been watching us for who knows how long. We explained geocaching, thanked the officer for checking up on us, and went off on our way.

Encounters with law enforcement are just part of the game. Be straightforward and you'll be fine. Also, I simply DO NOT DO residential caches. Whenever we run into one, we just keep driving. Really, in general, we avoid any cache where the sketch factor is too high.

If the owner of the residential area cache has done the proper legwork then all of the neighbors should be aware of the cache. Problem solved. If neighbors are harassing cachers the needs archived post is likely in order. That is, AFTER contacting the cache owner and explaing the issue.

If the owner of the residential area cache has done the proper legwork then all of the neighbors should be aware of the cache. Problem solved. If neighbors are harassing cachers the needs archived post is likely in order. That is, AFTER contacting the cache owner and explaing the issue.

The only problem is, as a cacher, it's impossible to know if the CO has really done the proper legwork. Why risk a hassle? In theory what you say is true, but in practice, it's a lot easier to just find one of the many other caches out that and avoid risking a confrontation.

just tell 'em that you are geocaching.

Visiting my parents in Oregon, my brother and I walked half a block down the street to a cache “in front of the house, curbside”. There was a 4-foot-long PVC pipe tied to a tree right by the road, sprinkler head on top, but having no fitting at the bottom, not too bad for a disguised cache container. An elderly man was trimming a hedge nearby. As I contemplated that PVC pipe, he approached.

“I noticed your sprinkler system”, I said.

“I was watering the plants”, he replied. Then he asked “What are you doing here?”

“We’re Geocaching,” I said.

You’re WHAT?”

”Geocaching.”

“Gee-whatzing?”

I pronounced it again, and showed him the cache info on my GPSr, hoping he’d let me off the hook.

“What’s Gee-whatzing?”

Boy, I thought, some cache owners can really play their part to the hilt…

“Never heard of Gee-whatzing,” he announced gruffly. Then he returned to his hedge.

I wondered if he was waiting for me to just go ahead and open that sprinkler head, and get his Micro cache. It was about that moment that I realized the actual cache was one more house over. :anibad: Since then, I hardly ever do a residential cache.

Edited by kunarion

The only problem is, as a cacher, it's impossible to know if the CO has really done the proper legwork. Why risk a hassle? In theory what you say is true, but in practice, it's a lot easier to just find one of the many other caches out that and avoid risking a confrontation.

My theory has worked fine for me for over six years now so I am good with it. YMMV. If you aren't comfortable chatting with the people who live in neighborhoods then don't do those caches. Use common sense and have fun. Do what works for you. :anibad:

New to caching here as well. In my case, I was the curious neighbor who watched a strange vehicle drive slowly down our small cul de sac. After watching them search in the bushes, I simply asked, " can I help you find something?". They were as friendly as can be, and took the time to explain to me what exactly Geocaching is. The next day, my kids and I went on our first hunt and have been hooked ever since! It proves my theory, that a friendly wave and a Hello will open up many doors for you. Happy Hunting :anibad:

As a very frequent night cacher - often ALL night - I have invented numerous responses to the "what are you looking for" inquiry:

"Bodies...you seen any?"

"A warm place to sleep"

"My Keys"

"My contact lens"

"Your momma"

"Ancient Scripture" (I live in Utah)

"Golf balls" (nearest golf course was miles away)

"Whatever I happen to find"

"Cans to trade in to get a hot meal"

"The bag of pot I ditched here earlier"

"My wife's diamond ring" (This one is especially good as a practical joke, since after determining the cache is MIA, lots of laughs can be had watching them start looking after I leave.)

The main thing is, under no circumstances will I ever tell them what I am really doing. The only time I give a straight answer is if it's a cop asking the question.

Once, I was looking for a ceche a ways off from my car, and could see my car from where I was searching. I saw a cop pull up behind my car, and since it was night, and I had my very bright headlamp on, I am sure he saw me, as well. Not really wanting to deal with another bored cop, I simply kept searching, and he stayed put. After a while, I gave up, and instead of going back to my car, where I would certainkly have had to deal wtih him, I walked about a quarter mile to the nearest cache, found it, and returned back to my car. I think he must have gotten a call, since I saw him drive off as I was walking back toward him. So my rule is, if you act like you are doing something you shouldn't, then people will treat you like you are. On the other hand, if you act like you have all the right and reason to be there in the world, or even like THEY are the ones encroaching on YOU, then they will leave you alone. Most of the time, if I am at a cache long enough for someone to wonder what I am up to, it's highly unlikely that they are going to spot it passing by, so revealing the cache's whereabouts is rarely a real risk.

Edited by bunkerdave
"My wife's diamond ring" (This one is especially good as a practical joke, since after determining the cache is MIA, lots of laughs can be had watching them start looking after I leave.)

hearing them yell at you as you leave and the wife says "no, its just a film cannister with a piece of paper inside" :anibad:

Encounters with non-cachers is one of the big reasons I don't do much urban caching anymore.

Sometimes the cache placement just doesn't make sense. I've gone to a park and the cache is hidden in a tree which is right across the fence from someone's living room window. Sure, it might be the cache owners house, or it might be someone who wonders why I am poking around right outside their house -- public space or not.

Heck, sometimes even rural caching isn't much better. A car stopped on the side of the road for no apparent reason is often a beacon for people to come and see what you are doing -- whether they are thinking you are having car trouble or up to no good. I was searching for a cache along a fenceline and had the property owner get angry with me -- even though I was on the public side and not on his property. His comment was "If we see someone hanging out around here they are either here to steal something or break something." He then demanded to know who hid this "cache thing" near his fence so he could get them to remove it -- again, knowing full well it was on the side of a public roadway.

I've been yelled at by restaurant staff when they found me searching for a micro near their loading dock. Don't get me started on how many times I have had to pass over micros near playgrounds because of the suspicious looks from parents.

Interestingly enough, I've never had any encounters with law enforcement yet. **knock wood**

More and more I find if a cache isn't hidden in a place where I can search without being likely to drawn attention I just won't bother with that cache.

As a very frequent night cacher - often ALL night - I have invented numerous responses to the "what are you looking for" inquiry:

"Bodies...you seen any?"

"A warm place to sleep"

"My Keys"

"My contact lens"

"Your momma"

"Ancient Scripture" (I live in Utah)

"Golf balls" (nearest golf course was miles away)

"Whatever I happen to find"

"Cans to trade in to get a hot meal"

"The bag of pot I ditched here earlier"

Now that is some funny stuff.

Edited by cakmakli

I've had lots of encounters of various nature; so far none were hostile in any way. By far most were quite pleasant and I enjoyed talking to the folks.

I do have a TB hotel cache on my front porch in a residential neighborhood, but I made sure to put my name, address and phone number in the description, telling cachers to call me if they feel uncomfortable, and I let all of my neighbors know to expect to see strangers hunting it at all hours. It's a double-size ammo can that can be seen from the street.

Still, I did get a call one day from a cacher I know pretty well, who told me that she and her kids had been searching my porch for twenty minutes and asking "Could it be behind the white flower shelf?" at which time I, when I could stop laughing, had to tell her that the white shelf is on my neighbor's porch! :anibad:

I was verbally abused by someone on a public trail near my home. Came out of the woods after making a find and this guy starts yelling at me about "you damned drug addicts hiding in the woods! I'm calling the cops you pervert..." This rant goes on behind me all the way back to my car for about 20-minutes. Don't know what his problem was as I had never seen any drug related activities on this trail.

The main thing is, under no circumstances will I ever tell them what I am really doing. The only time I give a straight answer is if it's a cop asking the question.

I've only got two answers: geocaching, and surveying. Both are truthful answers.

If the inquisitive person looks less than stable, or potentially confrontational, I just look them in eye and say "surveying", and turn back to what I'm doing. That always satisfies them, since few of them know how surveying is done, and they assume if you're surveying, you somehow have the authority of the dominant social order in your corner. In truth, I'm surveying the area for possible cache locations. Just be matter of fact, look like you belong, and they'll go back to what they were doing. It helps to wear work clothes as you cache.

If the inquisitive person is just being inquisitive, I tell them "geocaching". If the cache is placed with permission (aren't they all?), then there can be no issue of substance. A friendly smile and a brief explanation is usually all it takes to allay concerns. Since there's a good chance other cachers will encounter the same neighbor, setting a positive tone for what we're doing is important. Lying about our activity creates suspicion, and can bring undesired consequences. If the inquirer doesn't grasp the situation, it's easy enough to glance at your watch, tell them you enjoyed visiting with them, and excuse yourself. You can always return to the site at a later time, if you wish.

Well, no, we don't look for too many residential caches. The few we did hunt made me nervous. Unfortunately, this is likely to happen more and more to new cachers as they come into the hobby and with folks not thinking about their placements.

You did the right thing in simply leaving.

The old man was wrong in releasing the dog. That could be construed as assault. Alternatively, it wasn't a good idea on the old man's part as he doesn't know the type of person he is releasing his dog on. If it had been me and the dog had gotten in kicking range, the dog would have gotten the short end of the stick. Someone who thinks his pitbull will fair better will get his dog shot.

One thing folks don't consider when placing residential caches is local crime. Almost everywhere, even in gated communities, there are both burglaries and auto break ins. Folks get wary of folks they don't know in their neighborhood.

BTW, the main target--for whatever reason--of auto break ins? GPSs. Everyone has written down their serial numbers right? You won't get it back without knowing which GPS is yours.

I am wary of residential caches too and avoid them. Once I was geocaching across the street (on public land) and an older woman came out of her house to be angrily question me on what I was doing. I said "geocaching", she said, "what?"; I then told her scavenger hunting, she seemed okay with that :)

Another time I was questioned by a guy who watering his lawn as I started to enter the nearby greenbelt. I said geocaching, he ask about it. He turned off his garden hose and came with me on the hunt. I never saw him again but it was nice to have made a brief convert.

I carry a copy of this brochure in my geobackpack: http://www.geocacher-u.com/resources/brochure1.pdf

for cops, rangers or assorted G-men.

There was one cache- I think it was placed in celebration of a birth- on someones property. I couldn't see anything from the sidewalk that looked like it might be a likely hiding spot so I moved on. Don't feel good about poking around someone's house. Have known people who have looked for a cache in other people's yard (trespassing) because the posted coordinates were off or their GPS was off.

Think if I were to hide a cache on my property or someone else's where there was a chance of someone looking in the wrong yard then I might mention something on the cache page to indicate to cachers that they are looking in the right place- like a sign, description of house, or something close by like a hedge, firehydrant, etc.

Edited by Luckless

If it's a legitimate cache placed with legitimate permission. Tell the nosy neighbors to mind their own business. :)

I sure wouldn't run off scared that I was going to have to answer questions of a LEO. I would just hope that the property owner was home to back up my story. I've found a few caches like this and after a short look around I've gone to the front door to ask if the cache was on the property to make sure I hadn't messed up the co-ords or something. Every time I was in the right place and found the cache.

If it's a legitimate cache placed with legitimate permission. Tell the nosy neighbors to mind their own business. :)

I sure wouldn't run off scared that I was going to have to answer questions of a LEO. I would just hope that the property owner was home to back up my story. I've found a few caches like this and after a short look around I've gone to the front door to ask if the cache was on the property to make sure I hadn't messed up the co-ords or something. Every time I was in the right place and found the cache.

"f it's a legitimate cache placed with legitimate permission. Tell the nosy neighbors to mind their own business."

Yeah, I'll be sure and keep that in mind.

On private property, it's cool to leave the address number in the hint field

Fields out in the boonies can be private property too. They are unlikely to have street addresses though.

True but I doubt you would end up on the wrong farm.

I had to archive one of my caches when someone claimed that people looking for the cache were going through private property. I couldn't tell where the property boundary was and it wasn't posted as private property anywhere that I could find.

I was verbally abused by someone on a public trail near my home. Came out of the woods after making a find and this guy starts yelling at me about "you damned drug addicts hiding in the woods! I'm calling the cops you pervert..." This rant goes on behind me all the way back to my car for about 20-minutes. Don't know what his problem was as I had never seen any drug related activities on this trail.

"I'll sit right here while you call them there cops, Buddy" - He'll be right up there with Mrs. Kravitz :)

Concerned or curious people are one thing and when I'm questioned by them, I try to be a good ambassador for Geocaching. That may or may not involve explaining what I'm really doing, but I strive to be as friendly as I can be and as informative as the situation warrants.

But there are also genuine jerks in this world and their encounters with me typically don't go the way they plan them. Thankfully I've only run into a couple of 'em while Geocaching and they were both security guards with bad attitudes and a grossly-inflated sense of authority. Ironically, both were also pimple-faced punks who probably got picked on a lot in school. They tried their best to be a bad @ss with me but quickly learned that I'm not even slightly intimidated by a starched uniform with cloth security company emblems sewn on the sleeves.

In all fairness, I should add that I've also met some really decent security guards while caching, and my encounter with them was a lot more affable. In fact, one is now a local cacher too, primarily because he asked me what I was doing in a friendly and genuinely curious way. So I explained geocaching to him and the rest, as they say, is history.

Pete

I've had lots of encounters of various nature; so far none were hostile in any way. By far most were quite pleasant and I enjoyed talking to the folks.

I do have a TB hotel cache on my front porch in a residential neighborhood, but I made sure to put my name, address and phone number in the description, telling cachers to call me if they feel uncomfortable, and I let all of my neighbors know to expect to see strangers hunting it at all hours. It's a double-size ammo can that can be seen from the street.

Your front porch cache and the "turtle" down the road from you are two really good examples of how to properly write a cache page to let a seeker know they are in the right place looking for the right thing.

I've come across other caches that were hidden close to a house or in a backyard that I passed on because I just didn't get a good feeling that I was being invited by the owner to search on their own property.

My only hostile encounter was a vetran geocacher who thinks its funny to wait at a new cache and hassle any newbie who shows up looking. He hassled myself and my 8 year old daughter and preceeded to hassle another newbie who showed up just after me with his two young children.

After hassling and lightly verbally abusing us, he laugh and says, I'm "so and so". He almost made me feel like giving up the sport until I found out there were a lot of others who are very nice people.

My only hostile encounter was a vetran geocacher who thinks its funny to wait at a new cache and hassle any newbie who shows up looking. He hassled myself and my 8 year old daughter and preceeded to hassle another newbie who showed up just after me with his two young children.

After hassling and lightly verbally abusing us, he laugh and says, I'm "so and so". He almost made me feel like giving up the sport until I found out there were a lot of others who are very nice people.

Let me guess, he was in his mid 50s' maybe early 60's. Men that age are like 2 and 3 year olds, they love the sound of their own voices. They love to offer unsolicited advice and opinions.

I have 3 brothers in that age range who are just like that. Its a guy thing.

Let me guess, he was in his mid 50s' maybe early 60's. Men that age are like 2 and 3 year olds, they love the sound of their own voices. They love to offer unsolicited advice and opinions.

We have a couple of cachers in my area in that age range that do the same thing, believe it or not. I guess they think it's funny. :anibad: Side effect of Cialis maybe? :anibad:

We have a couple of cachers in my area in that age range that do the same thing, believe it or not. I guess they think it's funny. :unsure: Side effect of Cialis maybe? :D

This guy is in his 30's. Just a rude person. My 8 year old daughter even asked me after, "Why was that man so rude?"

My only response was "Some people think it is funny to tease others."

Bullies are everywhere.

Edited by 42at42
" and releases his dog off the leash for whatever reason (it wasn't a very threatening animal) but we got back into our car and left.

Should have called the LEO on him. Releasing a dog on someone when you're not being threatened is illegal.

NOTE: We have had 4 police officers in our family plus are friends with one so I know it IS illegal.

" and releases his dog off the leash for whatever reason (it wasn't a very threatening animal) but we got back into our car and left.

Should have called the LEO on him. Releasing a dog on someone when you're not being threatened is illegal.

NOTE: We have had 4 police officers in our family plus are friends with one so I know it IS illegal.

Perhaps the person no longer wanted the dog and was offering it as a gesture of friendship. Befriend the dog and take it home with you. Obviously that is what was intended.

:unsure:

Maybe in Kansas. Maybe not in California. Maybe not if the dog doesn't attack. Maybe if the dog owner felt threatened.

Too many variables.