Interest in geocoins going down?

tsunrisebey

Is it just me or has there been a slow but steady decrease in the interest in geocoins?

Seems to me that thread after thread has popped up with people selling their collections for a variety of reasons. Lots of people selling their collections on ebay (I'm talking wihin the last year).

I know the economy around the world has been hit hard so that may account for some of the drop-off. Seems that average life-span for a coiner is about 2-3 years and then they move onto something else.

Others think coins jumped the shark so they left.

I've noticed that (bad word coming up here :anibad:) pathtags have really taken over as the more inexpensive option to sending out sig items. Not trying to start a pathtag discussion as I'm not a collector but just one more piece of the observation puzzle.

Many vendors have come out with "dog tag" style trackable items which seem to be gaining in popularity?

I have talked with a couple people over the past year about geocoins and the direction that geocoins will go. My thought was that maybe geocoins (as far as new mintings) may become extinct within the next 3-5 years in favor of newer/inexpensive trackable items. Yet, I don't think (in my opinion) as far as trackable items go, comes close to the impressiveness as a new geocoin does.

Is the coiner public just getting much more selective in their purchases? Have you noticed the trend, is it all in my mind? Do you even care (lol)?

I'm not here to bash any trackable items or coins for that matter, just observing what looks like a major slow down in coin purchasing and collecting.

Thoughts? Observations? Discussion?

I'm curious because as a designer/seller myself, I start wondering at what point does a person walk away from offering coin designs or try to find a new direction for their creative outlet?

Floors open :P

Edited by tsunrisebey

Nope.

Just see the community and market shifting...

Interest going down...

in personal coins... YES

in non trackable coins... YES

in geocaching related coins... YES

in bad designs... YES

in plain looking coins... YES

in stupid coins... YES

Interest in commercial coins... NO

Interest in well designed coins... NO

Interest in event coins... NO

Just my $126.00 and 2 cents worth... :anibad:

I'm curious because as a designer/seller myself, I start wondering at what point does a person walk away from offering coin designs or try to find a new direction for their creative outlet?

If you don't have any other good ideas then now would be a good time to leave I guess.

Nope.

Just see the community and market shifting...

Interest going down...

in personal coins... YES

in non trackable coins... YES

in geocaching related coins... YES

in bad designs... YES

in plain looking coins... YES

in stupid coins... YES

Interest in commercial coins... NO

Interest in well designed coins... NO

Interest in event coins... NO

Just my $126.00 and 2 cents worth... :P

lol, that total seems familiar for some reason :anibad:

So, you're essentially saying that tastes are becoming more discriminating? That's how I'm summing your post up when I read it. Thanks for the input.

Well, I'm new around here but my initial excitement about geocoins cooled rapidly when I was discovered how expensive they are, how a shocking 80 to 80 percent of the cache inventories are incorrect, and how unlikely the coin is to travel for more than a few months or legs before disappearing. I enjoy picking up geocoins, and moving and logging them responsibly, and wouldn't mind the expense of putting a few out there as my contribution to all of our enjoyment of geocaching but don't want to shell out that much dough $$$$ for someone's swag collection or have it wasted by lazy geocachers who are careless with trackables.

Grit your teeth now... I discovered my first pathtag on Christmas and am excited by creating my own signature item to release in the wild. It's not a small expense but I am looking for ways to contribute to the gc community's fun for less than 8 to 15 bucks a shot.

As a noob, what am I missing? Isn't a pathtag--signature item/tradable/geosway-- very different from a trackable geocoin?

Hello my frioend Tsun!!!:D Happy new year!!!B)

Hmm... I believe that economic crisis has to do with this!

People can not affort buying many geocoins anymore, they have to double think in creating a coin because it really costs....

Except that, expenses are getting bigger, bills are coming all the time.... so people have to sell some things to pay them!!! I have a friend who had to sell her coin and banknote collection to pay some bills! :anibad:

Geocachers sell their geocoins!

About pathtags.... they are much cheaper to make so they are winning the battle against geocoins!

Geocoins all the time needs to be more and more beautiful,and that costs money!!

the TB like geocoins are cheaper... I think, so they are popular now...

New directions??? How about geo banknotes??? they will be cheaper... I think, you can have what ever you like on them, you can put safety elements so nobody will make fakes.... the serial number can be the trucking number.... of course they will get easily damaged.... but if they are laminated in plastic???? :P

I was thinking that some coin companies can even put value on them and they can be used to buy things for a period of time..... like the oakbucks! :D

In events, they can be also used as food coupons, or for a bazzar....

Of course, there is a possibility that all can have a nominal value on them... for example.... 1 Geo, 1 geodollar.... just for the fun!

They can be great signature items (non trackable), trackable travellers, and great personal items since you can put your favorite photo on it, the photo of a view of your homeland...

the ones that are for travells, can be laminated in plastic, the others... not!

.... hey....and it will be less expensive in postages! :o

Hello my frioend Tsun!!!B) Happy new year!!!:o

Hmm... I believe that economic crisis has to do with this!

People can not affort buying many geocoins anymore, they have to double think in creating a coin because it really costs....

Except that, expenses are getting bigger, bills are coming all the time.... so people have to sell some things to pay them!!! I have a friend who had to sell her coin and banknote collection to pay some bills! :P

Geocachers sell their geocoins!

About pathtags.... they are much cheaper to make so they are winning the battle against geocoins!

Geocoins all the time needs to be more and more beautiful,and that costs money!!

the TB like geocoins are cheaper... I think, so they are popular now...

New directions??? How about geo banknotes??? they will be cheaper... I think, you can have what ever you like on them, you can put safety elements so nobody will make fakes.... the serial number can be the trucking number.... of course they will get easily damaged.... but if they are laminated in plastic???? :D

I was thinking that some coin companies can even put value on them and they can be used to buy things for a period of time..... like the oakbucks! :D

In events, they can be also used as food coupons, or for a bazzar....

Of course, there is a possibility that all can have a nominal value on them... for example.... 1 Geo, 1 geodollar.... just for the fun!

They can be great signature items (non trackable), trackable travellers, and great personal items since you can put your favorite photo on it, the photo of a view of your homeland...

the ones that are for travells, can be laminated in plastic, the others... not!

.... hey....and it will be less expensive in postages! :D

I definitely think you're on to something here, Gatoulis !

:anibad:

I prefer round personal coins.

Commercial coins are OK as long as I can relate them to Geocaching in some way.

I think some of the older non-trackable personal coins have lost some of their luster but that's OK as it gives me the opportunity to pick them up cheap on Ebay.

I usually only buy new offerings if they are round and I think they will have some trade value down the road.

When I buy complete sets I normally pick a favorite metal/Color to keep and put the others on my trader list. (which is currently really not up to date)

As far as Sunrisebey designs I wouldn't worry until one of your offerings doesn't sell out in the first hour. :anibad:

I have to agree with nikos, and somewhat with mark...

i think peps are down on their luck with funds, i remember before all the med problems,, i was buying coins like crazy,, now i have to be very selective, and make sure all bills are paid for,, even this month with christmas i was forced to sell about 40 coins, to make a christmas for my family. it worked out great kinda like insurance i took out ahead of time,,, lol .. no really i was fortunate for christmas.

but

i think alot of peps are having med issues and that KILLS the geocoin funds.. ive always been pretty particular on what coins i bought but now i have to really like the design, or reason for the coin.

i honestly think its all about the money right now,,ALOT of peps have lost their jobs, but i think once things get better, all will resume to be the same as it was.. maybe its a good time to take a small break from making coins,, allthough i would not include you t-sun ,, as i think your designs will still sell in 10 min or less!! :anibad:

pathtags are cool but is miles away from a well made geocoin,, i think they have growen again because you can have a run made for 100 bucks,, the cost of 10 or less geocoins. im suprised at how many of those path tags their are but to me id prefer a geocoin anyday of the week.

yeah so over all it comes down to money.

With all due respect to any artist or vendor out there, I feel the tides are shifting towards less expensive ways to trade or track swag, so the ride on coin manufacturing could very well be slowing.

That is why I brought up the issue about dogtag type travel bugs. (something with icon possibilities, cheaper to produce, and can be tracked on GC.com)

I've noticed pathtags becoming more pupolar as well because of cost and trading factor. I've often wondered why Groundspeak and pathtags hasn't worked better with one another on some issues, but thats not something to discuss here, so I'll drop that though...

bottom line is folks want more bang for there buck and they are finding alternative ways of doing so.

:anibad: so yes, I see less interest in coins than before.

I'm a relatively new coin collector, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. Part of what you see is attrition of the old guard, but there is still an influx of new people.

The economy certainly doesn't help for sure.

I wish there was a way for geocoins to be cheaper, but I still vastly prefer them to the aluminum tags and even path tags.

Who knows where I'll be in 2-3 years though. :anibad:

Speaking from my own perspective, there are several factors at work:

- The general economy. I have to watch my discretional spending a lot more carefully these days.

- The cost of geocoins. I know I'll sound like an oldster here, but it seems like I remember being able to purchase coins for well under $10 each a while back. I know that most of today's coins are worlds fancier than they used to be, but unfortunately the cost for each has grown considerably.

- The cost of shipping. Even for those coins that aren't too expensive each, paying $2-3 shipping for a coin often moves it out of my price range.

- Sellouts. Some of the coins I have been able to budget have sold out within minutes, or went on sale at times when I can't be near my computer to even try to get. I know that it's a difficult issue, though - what's the right balance point between keeping the value up by selling limited editions, vs. selling more common issues, but perhaps lowering demand...

- The cost of making coins. I would very much love to have my own personal coins made, but there's no way in the world I can possibly front the $1k-2k it would take to have them made, even if I was sure I could sell a bunch of them. I have had pathtags made, though, because I can usually scrape up $100 for a batch.

Donald (Moozer)

Ditto to what anne.and.eli said. As a collector, I prefer coins. If I were going to release them, though, I'd go for proxies or the aluminum tags -- it wouldn't break my heart to lose them.

I also agree that they've gotten quite pricy. The geocoin boom, I think, pushed prices up so that $10-12 is pretty standard for a coin with normal features (used to be, IIRC, that those prices were reserved for coins with special features like IHE or full 3D).

I see a number of vendors now offering coins at very reasonable prices - perhaps they're just trying to sell off stock, but this is a great time to buy coins if you're interested in coins to release or to gift and you want to buy a pair so that you can keep one (and, presumably, lose one), I think.

I'm curious: I am absolutely sure that speculation drove up the demand for coins (and were partly the cause of the "lightning sales" we saw -- that is, coins being sold out in, like, 30 seconds). How many people bought, say, a Paula coin because it was a Paula coin, or a Tsun coin because it was a Tsun coin, figuring that it would be worth more later? Do you sell your coins on eBay, and have you made a profit? Is the current economy affecting you? (This is economic speculation.)

Did you buy the coins figuring they'd be high on the "I want" list for the purpose of making killer trades? (Trade speculation.)

(Note that I'm not implying anything about the designs of, say, Paula's or Tsun's coins. I am perfectly sure that people bought them because of the design alone, or /both/ because of the design and for speculative purposes. I'm just curious as to how much the desire to have something /rare/ for later profit, either monetary or trade profit, had to do with pushing up both the prices and creating the phenomenon of "lightning sales").

(On a side note: has anyone else given up, either in part or entirely, on super-limited sales? And how many people really enjoy the quest for a super-limited coin? If there's only, say, 25 of the coin, do you care what it looks like? A little of both?)

I have been collecting geocoins since 2006. I love geocoins. When I started collecting coins they were a lot less expensive. :anibad: I also see the coin companies bringing out old coins in new color combinations. Some of my favorite coin vendors are no longer in business. I have not seen a geocoin that has perked my interest this month, and therefore I have not bought one. The interest is still there if only I could find a coin to buy.

As a noob, what am I missing? Isn't a pathtag--signature item/tradable/geosway-- very different from a trackable geocoin?

Yes, they serve two different purposes. A pathtag isn't a traveler it's a signature item, left in caches as a token to be picked up and traded out by the next cacher... a trackable geocoin is a traveler much like travel bugs whose goal is to travel from cache to cache. The reason geocoins cost more is because of the tracking, a non-trackable geocoin costs about $2.00 a coin which is roughly the same as a pathtag.

And yes Tsun, I think people can't afford to collect every geocoin so they gravitate towards ones they like. Well designed appealing coins is a factor in this.

Do any of the vendors have some actual data we could look at that you're willing to share?

For example: how many different coins are represented by what you have in stock? What percentage of the total mint runs for these coins do you still have in stock? In 2007, 2008, and 2009, did you lower the prices on your in-stock coins? For what percentage of your total in-stock coin designs, and by how much (percentage)? Did you realize an increase in sales?

In 2007, 2008, or 2009, how quickly did your coin runs sell out? Did you see an increase in this time? (Example: "in 2007, I sold four designs and they all sold out within one day. In 2008, I sold four designs, and they sold out in one week. In 2009, I sold four designs, and three of them sold out within one month, and I still have the other one in stock".)

How about numbers of coins designs minted, and number of coins per design? Has the economic situation affected how many coins you've actually produced?

There's a lot that raw numbers /can't/ tell us -- for example, they say nothing about the coins' subjective qualities (their designs, and how people react to the designs). But it would be interesting to see whether people are seeing an actual, quantifiable drop off in sales.

Do any of the vendors have some actual data we could look at that you're willing to share?

For example: how many different coins are represented by what you have in stock? What percentage of the total mint runs for these coins do you still have in stock? In 2007, 2008, and 2009, did you lower the prices on your in-stock coins? For what percentage of your total in-stock coin designs, and by how much (percentage)? Did you realize an increase in sales?

In 2007, 2008, or 2009, how quickly did your coin runs sell out? Did you see an increase in this time? (Example: "in 2007, I sold four designs and they all sold out within one day. In 2008, I sold four designs, and they sold out in one week. In 2009, I sold four designs, and three of them sold out within one month, and I still have the other one in stock".)

How about numbers of coins designs minted, and number of coins per design? Has the economic situation affected how many coins you've actually produced?

There's a lot that raw numbers /can't/ tell us -- for example, they say nothing about the coins' subjective qualities (their designs, and how people react to the designs). But it would be interesting to see whether people are seeing an actual, quantifiable drop off in sales.

The number of vendours relying on pre-sales should be a fairly clear indication. But you can't lump all vendours together as they all fit different niches of this market.

Edited by Droo

Lol Kat, I just meant for this to be a discussion based on observations :anibad: That's alot of work to be looking up that info :P It almost brings flashbacks to my Statistical Methods class, haha.

Don't get me wrong, I still do and will continue to buy/sell/trade coins, however as stated, I too am more selective of what I buy/trade/sell.

I think it is worth noting that producing either travel tags or pathtags is not only cheaper to make die changes to when needed, but also it is much easier to do several designs over time for events such GW,MWGB,GCF,CP, FFF and others.

I suspect that the vulnerability of coins after they are released has done a lot to cool interest and sales. Not everyone like to hoard their booty but when the feel good of letting them go goes so does the justification for tossing $15 in a cache.

Hello everybody I have a point to make, i hope it is OK

I want to do a coin but they are very expensive, Dad looked at doing it with a company but it was not ours anymore so we stopped

I love geocoins, love to find them, trade them and send them out to travel

I HATE to have them stolen, this seems to happen alot

Dad says we have to pick which ones we want to get for our collections we cant have everyone so my Sister and me just pick the ones we like the best sometimes we need to save because they cost alot more than we have

I agree on the soldout coins they are tough to get and some we like the best we cant get they show up on a site for bidding this makes it harder for me to get them :anibad:

I like to read Dr Neal posts he gets the best coins and I get to see many I did not know were for sale

I have a pathtag and I like to leave them for people to find and trade

I want to say that I STILL love geocoins, and will keep saving because i want to get more geocoins from the other cachers I meet talk to and read on the board here

I still love geocoins and will add one to the collection once in a while.

They lost a lot of their attraction for me when they became more about business and less about community.

It seems all coins now are made for sale and profit.

We may make another coin some day, but for now, it's pathtags for me. And it's not because of the cost.

I like the trading and the trading community.

:anibad:

I don't know if the interest is down particuarly, but I think we're seeing a market being flooded in a time when the economy is poor. In fact I wonder if maybe the sales of so many aluminum "travelers" might also lead to a flooded market, and an increase in the desirability of the geocoins, if and when they become again less commen, for the collectors (there was previous discussion on the future of geocoins...don't remember who commented, but something was said about geocoins being released less, and collected more in the future.)

GBOTS...if you have a personal coin for trade let me know...my chiro-cache and Kathy's Coin, coins are trade only....not for sale, not for profit.

ILYK

I am not sure that interest is dropping off. I think that some of it just may be that a lot of coins are bought by lurkers like myself so it may seem like interest isn't there. Also I know as I have developed a like for certain metal combos and themes I tend to gravitate towards those coins( BN is not always a choice people offer). I would make a pathtag as a personal sig item but if I could ever come up with something I was ever happy enough to turn into a coin I wouldn't hesitate to make one.

The number of vendours relying on pre-sales should be a fairly clear indication. But you can't lump all vendours together as they all fit different niches of this market.

The problem with this approach is that the pre-sale issue isn't just tied to interest in geocoins, or to the economic situation -- due to several cases of pre-sale delays (and outright fraud), several vendors won't do pre-sales because their customers won't participate.

Lol Kat, I just meant for this to be a discussion based on observations :anibad: That's alot of work to be looking up that info :P It almost brings flashbacks to my Statistical Methods class, haha.

Understood, but I'd be interested in some actual objective information. It would be interesting to see if the numbers match up to people's impressions of what the industry is doing. : )

My interest hasn't decreased in the least, it's just the spouse has a greater interest in a balanced checkbook :P

Good designs will sell as will Designers known for their good work.

I buy some coins to collect and a few to release and a few to give away and I am not interested in reselling any.

I do applaud coin sellers who limit the number of coins to an individual, as the "aftermarket" for popular coins is brutal.

The less expensive trackable tag types are what I would buy to find their own way in the world. At some point I would like to have a personal coin minted and I have a few good uses planned for pathtags as well.

So overall the interest is there, the funding sporadic and the designs I like best are generally offered at the opposite cycle of my funding. :anibad:

For those talking about the cost of geocoins, I have very recent numbers. I really wanted to offer my li'l dreamer coins at less than $10 because they were small (1.5") and nothing fancy shape wise (although they did have IHE).

Unfortunately, the lowest I could afford to offer them is $9.50. At that price if I sell all of them, I will just cover the cost of creating the coin.

In the future I may look into dealing directly with the mint myself, as I'm sure that will lower the costs to create, but I've heard stories that it will certainly make things more difficult.

In talking to an early coin creator, prices for coin creation has definitely risen dramatically over the years, and this definitely drives the price of coins offered.

Shipping: $2.50 for 1 coin. It costs ~$1.50 to ship within the US. Add in the mailer, labels, and time, and there's not much profit margin there, either. Add a coin, you add to the cost of shipping, but the mailer/label/etc stay the same, hence the $.50 for another coin.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that very few people are making coins for a living. :P So while the prices may seem high, it's not because the coin creators are out to gouge you! (Well okay, maybe some people are :anibad: )

This is an issue I have thought on quite a bit over the last months. What brought me to think about it so much are questions of things like...

Trackability, Quantity, and sales of personal coins.

Let me start with quantity. When thinking of the quantity of coins made, it baffles me to see people state that they are making 150 coins, and 25 of them will be LE. In reality of collectlibles in general, nearly every single Geocoin made yet would be Limited Edition, with some rare exceptions. In other collectibles markets, a run of 5 or 10 thousand would still be a Limited Edition.

Now a note on Trackability. By far, the vast majority of Trackable Coins made are never going to get into circulation. The only reason to assign them the tracking numbers is to make them more collectible, by way of giving them a sort of Legitimacy among this community. When you think about all the other types of collectibles that people collect and fill their curios with, I would guess that the most successful coin designer will be the one who finds a way to serve both this very small community(Really not more than a few thousand people worldwide) and also break into a wider market for their designs. Think for a moment what would happen if one could tap into a market like the Franklin Mint has for all of their Limited Edition Collectibles(Made in the hundreds of thousands) I often wonder why some of these amazing designers are limiting themselves to this tiny market.

OK, fingers getting tired here, I just don't know where to go on the widespread sales of personal coins, I've always thought the idea behind making a personal coin was for releasing, and some trading, but it seems that nearly every one made is mostly for sale.

Is interest waning? I don't know, but I think there are certainly still incredible markets out there, but maybe just not within the geocaching community.

i agree, with limited mint numbers, limiting buying, because as fred head said the ebay prices are brutal, ive seen 1 coin go for over a few hundred bucks before.. i think it discourages some collectors. tho i understand you cant allways have all the coins you want,, but if you limit numbers it stops the 10 persons from buying the whole lot and putting them on ebay. one of my designs has been sold out for many months but i see one person offering them on ebay still for a buy it now price of 25 bucks,,, holy cow!! i dunno if they sell but i think thats alot to sell them for like thats a regular price. i wonder how something like this effects the collector end...

i myself have a limit on ebay,, and most coins i buy on there have to stay under that price or i dont buy. it sucks too because there are ones i reallllllly would like to add to my collection but will probably never have them due to pure cost.

also i have not lost any intrest in geocoins, but more focused in finishing or completeing my sets, this was a route i chose to take awhile back,, due to my thinking.... they are pieces of art to me. i case all my coins and enjoy looking at them every day!! :anibad:

also i have not lost any intrest in geocoins, but more focused in finishing or completeing my sets, this was a route i chose to take awhile back,, due to my thinking.... they are pieces of art to me. i case all my coins and enjoy looking at them every day!! :anibad:

Heres what i look at everyday when i walk into my office...:P

16033cc7-86f3-4c3e-b6a2-8f085cbd300f.jpg

I like this thread and have been thinking about it for a while myself!

I am wondering if the seemingly waning interest in geocoins is actually there or if its all a matter of perception.

A few years back say there were say for example 2 coins coming out every month and people bought them. Now for example there may be 20 coming out in a month and I know I can't (and I'm sure most people are in the same boat) buy all of them so you choose your favorites.

I'm sure the economy has emphasized the "being more choosy" atmosphere but in the end I think there is just much more to choose from and not quote a big enough buying market out there to make all 20 design sell out in 10 minutes!

I don't think that it is necessarily a bad thing though as it forces designers to put more time into designs instead of just rushing coins to the mint. Also, is it really that bad that coins take a month to sellout? It's nice to have the variety last a bit longer on the shelves so you don't have to rush and buy just to beat everyone out! LOL

I think in the end geocoins will bounce back...differently then before...but still make a come back. And with so many new cachers by the day there is possibilities for more coin collectors so the buying market will broaden eventually!

I see a divide between the idea of personal geocoins and commercial ones. I think part of the reason why commercial ones are more prevalent is because of the cost.

Let's face it: coins aren't cheap. Pathtags are (relatively speaking), and I think that's why they're so popular as siggy items. Wooden nickels, too, as well as poker chips: they're inexpensive, and if you're expecting to lose something you put in a cache, well, it's easier to do if they're not expensive.

If you're making a personal coin, your main decision is: am I going to try to break even or make money with this? Or am I spending out of pocket for a highly-valued personal token?

If you want your coin to be commercially viable (you want to sell all of them, and you want to at least break even), it has to be trackable, and it has to have an icon. So that's at least $150 + $1.50 per coin added to the cost of your coin. It's easy to see that this drives the price way, way up, especially if you want to do a small run of coins.

Here's a question: is there some central (or mostly-central) place where people who are into buying non-trackables go? Obviously, that doesn't happen here, so there's no way for those of us who are mostly active here to see whether there's an actual market for non-trackables. Is there a whole active community somewhere of which we're (okay, I'm) not aware?

Is it, in short, possible to sell non-trackable personal coins and break even, or are you always going to be essentially giving the money up for tradeable/giveable items (or hoping to break even by trading for trackables and then selling /those/)?

Note: I realize that some people don't mind, at all, spending the money for coins to give & trade (mystery coiners, I love you!). But in the interest of generalized coin making -- and what options there are for people who love coins but who do not have the money to spare -- I'm wondering what the real options are?

I don't think it's geocoin interest that's going down. I think it's the economy causing a drop in interest.

I see what happens in here, a lot. First a flurry of coin buying, gotta get them all. Then something happens and all of a sudden we have a multitude of geocoin sales threads to repair the car, the health, the house, whatever.

I definitely think it's the economy, because there is no lack of people who like geocoins.

My interest hasn't gone down. Just the amount of money I can spend on geocoins. Since my old car died on Christmas Eve morn', I had to get another car somehow. I finally did Wednesday night, and now have to make car payments for the next two years. With just my husband working, that extra payment tis eating up all the money I would have spent on geocoins. Now I have to seriously limit myself to one or two a month, and the money for them will be coming from what would go to gas for my new car or food for me. lol So unless anything changes (I find a job), I'll have to be very picky about what coins I buy for the next two years. After the car's paid off, I want to take some geocaching trips. Then I'll probably get back into buying geocoins, if people are still making new ones. :anibad:

Muggles, Bad Vendors, and Propaganda.

That's what sours me.

Propaganda is neutrally defined as a systematic form of purposeful persuasion that attempts to influence the emotions, attitudes, opinions, and actions of specified target audiences for ideological, political or commercial purposes through the controlled transmission of one-sided messages (which may or may not be factual) via mass and direct media channels."

—Richard Alan Nelson, A Chronology and Glossary of Propaganda in the United States, 1996

I think trading coins has significantly declined in the last couple of years. That has changed my buying habits significantly.

Since, when I buy a coin, I can no longer count on being able to trade it, I only buy one. I used to buy one of each version and keep the one I like best. Now, if I buy several, I don't know if the vendor will remint it. Thus, eliminating the value of the trade.

I do miss the relationships built by trading, but I'm an old dinosaur. I think most people just want to buy their coins.

There just isn't much out there that is collectible anymore.

Morning all,

I too think that the market has become more discerning in its purchasing of Geocoins, and much more frugal in release of these pieces of art into the community at large.

My family and I started Caching in '08 so we are still Newbes in some respects, well our 1st Cache we found a coin and did not know what to do with it but I saw my Son and Daughter's eyes light up, odd though his had that obsessed look down deep. :anibad:

We did what I think every newbe does we started a scorched earth policy for Geocoins, then realilty sat in on what we bought, so we slowed. We like DJ J Rock like themes or lines so we are staying there for now, although I must say I do DROOL on many a keyboard at the newest designs.

As a kid I collected coins from all over the world nothing great just for me, and stamps I never collected everything in a yearly set just the ones I liked. I also did this in Case Knives, as well as Baseball and Football cards, I just got the ones for the people I liked this is one reason the collection is worth more to me than to a true colletor. Remember entire sets always bring more than one or two.....

Many people are blaming the economy it may have something to do with the slowdown but I know in my case I have two kids, they have Hockey, Dance both Ballroom and the standard Tap Jazz Ballet etc... as well as Martial Arts, and school to pay for and to be very honest the kids and their activities come first. But I have not cut back on the family in all areas just re-prioritized.

If I had an emergency I would not get much for my collections but mine would be the first to go the kids most likely not at all so they could maintain some normalcy.

I must say as I read the threads and see what is being offered out there I am impressed everyday, look at the Fear No Cache coin it started to break the mold on what we were used to seeing, then the 3D's now the coins that are no longer round, look at the Revolver and Holster, or the Bow and Arrow sets these are just great forms of ART, not to mention my one of my favorites the Lady Luck Series, it was said here by Write Shop Robert look at the Franklin Mint and the US Mint and what they sell.

I myself, as well as the kids, have the set of all 50 Quarters colleted and displayed in a case, as well as I am still collecting the new Presidents series, old habits die hard.

I also think that as we see these new designs it inspires others to try their hand at coins and adds to the market which further pushes us to decide what coins we are going to purchase so many of the original coin desigers and sellers are seeing competition, great for the addicts bad for the wallet.

So to wrap this up I think that the market it actually growing it is just that the sources are also growing and probally not in parallel with demand so it appears that there is a slowdown. This is a typical and predictable wave this is just the freemaket doing what it does best RESPOND.

I have been trading and buying geocoins since 2006 and have acquired ALL of the older coins I really wanted. Now, I will buy or try to trade for a new coin I really like. It seems that new personals announced on the forum are few and far between, a result of the economy, I guess.

There will always be new enthusiastic collectors coming into the hobby that will buy any and all geocoins that come onto the market. Later, they will refine their collecting interests, and unload their overflow of ho-hum coins.

I disagree with the cencept of tracking numbers. I personally think that a sequentially numbered personal geocoin will ultimately in the end be worth more to a collector than a Novelty geocoin with a tracking number and Icon. GC.com will not last forever (although 10 years is not a bad start)....still, it will not be around for ever. WHen it does vanish into thin air, those tracking numbers will mean squat (so will the icon) ....becuase there will be no way to view the coin or icon on line. Having said that, there has been a significant decrease in the design, mintng, and sales of geocoins. My Software tracks by the year....and the second half of 2009 started a slow decent in the numbers of coins minted and i think we will see this number continue to decline in 2010.

Many people are switching to alternative signature items (Path Tags, Trading Cards, etc.)

I myself have now made 5 (Baseball Style) personal trading cards in 2009 alone and plan to make most likely another 5 in 2010.

I can get 500 trading cards with Sleeves shipped to my door for less than $300.00. No, they are not trackable...but they seem to me to be a much better personal trading item then a novelty geocoin (I say novelty geocoin, NOT personal geocoin).

Just my 2 cents.

BTW, you can see my Trading cards here:

http://www.bluelinegeocachers.org/images/g..._both_Sides.jpg

http://www.bluelinegeocachers.org/images/b..._both_Sides.jpg

http://www.bluelinegeocachers.org/images/G...th_geocache.jpg

http://www.bluelinegeocachers.org/images/b...th_geocache.jpg

http://www.bluelinegeocachers.org/images/b...radingcards.jpg

The problem with this approach is that the pre-sale issue isn't just tied to interest in geocoins, or to the economic situation -- due to several cases of pre-sale delays (and outright fraud), several vendors won't do pre-sales because their customers won't participate.

My point was more towards the need to NOT keep shelves stocked too long or at all. Those who do so through artifice or spectacular demand are not in the same niche as those houses that do keep their shelves stocked. Same market, different economies. :anibad: