Help to publicise Geocaching

I have recently published a thread about getting involved with Geocaching. I love Geocaching, but do not have

the time to go out and find Geocaches regularly at all. I have been advised by a moderator to do something 

to help with Geocaching in Britain. 

So, this is what i am attempting to do right now. Seeing as there are quite a few new cachers out there, i

thought that it would be a good idea if we were to make something for them. My original idea was to produce a website that told them all about Geocaching. I know that there is already a Geocaching newsletter, but we could

produce on just for new cachers. This would hopefully help them to know all about Geocaching in a very short

time. I am sure that others would have over idea's as well. 

I would really like to start a group up so that we can make something useful. My only request though is that 

you live in Britain, as i am trying to aim this at Britain.

This request is for everyone all over the world though. If we are going to produce a website, then we will 

require a server to host off. If there is no-one out there who has a spare/server with free space, then i am sure that we will find a way around it.

If you feel that you would like to get involved, then please post something. It would be a lot easier though if

you could email me directly on - williambanfield223@googlemail.com

I hope that this will inspire others and i look forward to hearing your thoughts. Thank you for taking the time to read this post.

I have recently published a thread about getting involved with Geocaching. I love Geocaching, but do not have

the time to go out and find Geocaches regularly at all. I have been advised by a moderator to do something 

to help with Geocaching in Britain. 

So, this is what i am attempting to do right now. Seeing as there are quite a few new cachers out there, i

thought that it would be a good idea if we were to make something for them. My original idea was to produce a website that told them all about Geocaching. I know that there is already a Geocaching newsletter, but we could

produce on just for new cachers. This would hopefully help them to know all about Geocaching in a very short

time. I am sure that others would have over idea's as well. 

I would really like to start a group up so that we can make something useful. My only request though is that 

you live in Britain, as i am trying to aim this at Britain.

This request is for everyone all over the world though. If we are going to produce a website, then we will 

require a server to host off. If there is no-one out there who has a spare/server with free space, then i am sure that we will find a way around it.

If you feel that you would like to get involved, then please post something. It would be a lot easier though if

you could email me directly on - xxxxxxxx@googlemail.com

I hope that this will inspire others and i look forward to hearing your thoughts. Thank you for taking the time to read this post.

Hi William,

You've been geocaching slightly longer than me so forum wisdom dictate I bow to your infinite majesty... however, far be it from me to be presumptuous but have you heard of the GAGB yet?

I don't bother getting involved with them but they seem to have Britain well covered already.

Then there's the question of why would you want to promote geocaching at all? All those newbies coming in and ruining the game, all those politicians who suddenly find they need to invent a whole new raft of legislation....

Hello William

Whilst appreciating your kind offer of assistance, I feel that the UK geocaching community is very well served with various websites already.

There are all these Groundspeak forums, including Groundspeak's own regional forum for UK and Ireland and then there's the Geocaching Association of Great Britain which also embraces all the geocaching organisations that operate within GB.

Then within UK and Ireland there are at least 8 active regional forums (some more active than others!).

For even more help there's "Follow the Arrow" Geocaching Resources for UK and Ireland.

My personal feeling is that there are too many geocaching-related sites around the UK and I'd rather not have to look at so many different places to keep up with the Geocaching scene in UK... but I do my best! :P

Can I suggest you have a look around the various links I've provided to see what's covered there and then if you feel that there's an obvious gap that needs to be addressed come across to the UK forums and put your proposals forward to the UK caching community.

Happy caching for 2010 :anibad:

MrsB

I think the Blorenge has it covered. :anibad:

Me too.....

there are too many sites at the moment, I find that if anyone asks me about caching, in the first instance I point them to Wiki, then I answer any Questions they may have...... then I point them to GC.Com and the GAGB forums.

We also have the newbie section here - I have often taken newbies out - it's much better to SHOW someone properly than to have a website... there's people from all over the UK willing to travel and show people the ropes....

I don't think I understand what it is you'd be offering that other sites and REAL people getting in touch couldn't give???

thanks for your replies, butt they aren't really what i'm after.

My idea is to create a something new and you never know, it may be the best.

I know some of you may not agree with my idea, so feel free just to skip the thread.

Ditto to the other answers.

Scratching my head a bit to try to think what exactly you might bring along that's both new and relevant.....

thanks for your replies, butt they aren't really what i'm after.

My idea is to create a something new and you never know, it may be the best.

I know some of you may not agree with my idea, so feel free just to skip the thread.

Sorry but it sounds like your not interested in the opinions of those who do not toe your party line! A very experianced cacher, who at one point was also a Forum Moderator for this site. Has given you some very valuable advice, which you feel you have no need of.

From looking at your Profile you've found 95 Traditional Caches and 6 Multi Caches, had 9 Traditional caches Published. 2 of which lasted 3 days. And now feel that you've enough experiance and knowledge of Geocaching to set up a web site to explain Geocaching to new members?

I'd suggest becoming a more rounded Geocacher, I'm not talking High numbers. But more a case of have Found the various types of caches currently listed on this and other cache listing sites [there are 7 different cache types listed just on this site and available in the UK]. And Placed a variety of cache types [currently there are five different types just for this site]. It would also help to have at least attend one event [you've got a choice of 3 types of event available on this site], so you've got actual experiance of meeting members of the Geocaching community.

Then you'll have a rounded understanding of what Geocaching is about. And will be in a position of being able to properly explain Geocaching to new or potential new members.

As for

I have recently published a thread about getting involved with Geocaching. I love Geocaching, but do not have

the time to go out and find Geocaches regularly at all. I have been advised by a moderator to do something

to help with Geocaching in Britain.

Why not get activly involved in discusion on here, your local geocaching forum which in your case is secaching or become active in supporting GAGB

By doing any of the above, you'd be helping with Geocaching in the UK. Also by signing the Number 10 Downing St Geocaching Petition [someone will be along with a link soon] you'd be doing a service as well.

Dave

All spelling mistakes are my own, as IE Tab does not use the native Fire Fox spellchecker :anibad:

I was pretty much agreeing with everyone but... If you're new to caching, or just heard about it...

Are the current sites actually that useful?

Look at the GAGB Homepage - does it make you go WOW! Yep, thats something I want to be involved in?

The Geocaching.com/About page is somewhat more interesting.

I'm hope I'm not being too critical of the existing sites.. but if William can produce a smart looking website that explains what Geocaching and especially Geocaching in the UK is all about... he may well be onto a winner.

I'm rather taken with the British Columbia Geocaching Associations site here - it really grabs you (well it does me)

Go for it William - if it's good, people will use it.

I was pretty much agreeing with everyone but... If you're new to caching, or just heard about it...

Are the current sites actually that useful?

Look at the GAGB Homepage - does it make you go WOW! Yep, thats something I want to be involved in?

The Geocaching.com/About page is somewhat more interesting.

I'm hope I'm not being too critical of the existing sites.. but if William can produce a smart looking website that explains what Geocaching and especially Geocaching in the UK is all about... he may well be onto a winner.

I'm rather taken with the British Columbia Geocaching Associations site here - it really grabs you (well it does me)

If William has the web design skills wouldn't it make more sense to work with GAGB to improve their site rather than creating yet another site about geocaching?

The BC site does look more impressive than the GAGB one without doubt, but I agree with what was said earlier

"If William has the web design skills wouldn't it make more sense to work with GAGB to improve their site rather than creating yet another site about geocaching?"

We do not require any more new ones at this moment in time as I feel that we are very lucky with what we have and well covered as well.

Just a penny worth personal opinion. :):P

Ive been caching for nearly 2 years now have found 1 or 2 of the buggers and still count myself as green.

Can I help the Geocaching comunity? The knowledge I have can still be writen on a postage stamp.

Some times reading the forums I can stick my pennys worth in but more often I learn.

The one thing you could do that would be a great help post ONE PAGE

Preferably with a map linked of course. So you can see clearly where groups are based.

Also CLEAR LINKS to the best information others have made (how do I put my cache stats on my profile? I have bought a Oregon where do I find out how to use it not just the manual?).

As fresh geocachers we find information that others count as old hat, new...

Then heres the hard part keep it up to date!

As for encouraging new Cachers. Not just yet! 2 years ago when I started (by accident, if thats possible) one of my friends had heard of it. I knew no one that did it, now 2 years later its hard to find some one who does not know anything about it.

Its a great sport but the last thing we need is to many cahcers!

1) There is not enough space for all those caches. :D

2) It would be no fun not trying to hide from muggles, if every one knows what your doing why hide? :)

3) It would reduce the quality of the caches in general (not that I do not think that is already happening :huh: ).

So my thought is IF you can do a GOOD :P job of telling people what information is out there thn you would do good.

ALthough I am sure the link for the above site is out there I just did not know and its about to be posted next :D

If we are going to produce a website, then we will 

Well he certainly doesn't have his own server for it :)

Chris (MrB)

I do have a server, but it is not the best one on the market

Well he certainly doesn't have his own server for it :)

Chris (MrB)

So why not approach GAGB and see if they would appreciate some help with their web pages?

I've spent some time wondering whether to reply or not. Obviously it's entirely up to you what you do, but you asked for opinions and you will see that most people think that there is already a glut on information on the internet.

Looking at your profile, I would say that your time would be better spent on making sure that you can maintain caches that you set and gaining more all-round experience.

Good luck, whatever you decide to do.

With the caveat that I've only been caching a few months, have fewer than 50 finds, only three published caches, and hence am patently a newbie ... I'm with Birdie on this one. It works the same with most if not all Internet sites. If it's good it draws an audience and survives. Bad sites tend to fade away. But most importantly, the best ideas get taken up by the mainstream sites.

FWIW, I run an Internet directory of campsites that's just holding on. I had a unique feature that's now been taken up by the biggest in UK and improved upon in a way I don't have the money to compete. However, I'm not miffed - quite the opposite, I'm rather chuffed. My website was never intended to be seriously commercial (it just about breaks even) and I created it to plug a hole in the online facilities on offer to campers and caravanners. So the more mainstream sites take up my idea, the more choice everyone has. AFAICT, this is similar to William's situation.

So, William, go for it. If you've got a good idea they will come. If you've got an excellent idea maybe some of the more mainstream sites will run with it - you might even want to offer it to GAGB etc. However, there are several mainstream geocaching sites right now, cachers use YouTube etc. to publish some very informative videos (take a look a HeadHardHat's "Geosnippets" series for an excellent example), and there are probably hundreds if not thousands of geocaching-related sites and blogs. So you've got a lot of competition and I suspect your ideas will need to be something truly special not to merge into the geocaching background.

HTH,

Geoff

Well he certainly doesn't have his own server for it :anibad:

Chris (MrB)

So why not approach GAGB and see if they would appreciate some help with their web pages?

We're always happy to get new ideas from people.

Come onto the site, have a look round and offer constructive feedback. We know that the site is in need of a make over and could look much more appealing. No need to just tell us that. Give us something to work with and we can try to improve. :anibad:

Then post it on the forums.

Thanks