Funny Geocaching and GPS-using Stories

Keo1

A recent post of my own http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=238827# (post #18) got me thinking ... I can't be the only one that has had a humorous incident when pursuing the idea of Geocaching or when using GPS devices. With winter full upon us (where I am), and few people getting outdoors as much (it's -20 F. here recently) I thought it might be fun to share and read other's stories.

Perhaps this has been done before? (It must have.) If so, what's the harm in another thread devoted to humor. I would think there'd be a whole section devoted to posts of that nature (I didn't see one).

Surely someone got attacked by a flock of geese or rolled down an embankment into that icy water in the pursuit of a cache. If law enforcement was called on you while that pack of dogs had you treed, that'd be even more funny. :rolleyes:

So? What happened, now that you are safe and sound, that makes you laugh every time you think of it or tell others?

:P

(I do recall the time that my extra set of batteries in my pocket grounded out on my keys and I almost burnt a hole in my leg. But that's only slightly funny. And most of the humor is lost without the visuals of watching me jump around trying to get them out of my pocket.)

Edited by Keo1

Much of geocaching humor is of the

variety: sliding down a hill and getting mud all over your butt, bushwhacking through 400 yards of thicket to discover a trail on the other side of the cache, the sudden cloudburst that catches you unprepared.

Some of Mark Twain's best humor came from describing his misfortunes. The Innocents Abroad is a perfect example. I especially like his description of the donkey ride through Syria.

I suppose there are other kinds of geocaching humor. How many geocachers does it take to change a lightbulb? Why did the geocacher cross the road? What did the geocacher say to his wife?

variety: sliding down a hill and getting mud all over your butt, bushwhacking through 400 yards of thicket to discover a trail on the other side of the cache, the sudden cloudburst that catches you unprepared.

Some of Mark Twain's best humor came from describing his misfortunes. The Innocents Abroad is a perfect example. I especially like his description of the donkey ride through Syria.

I suppose there are other kinds of geocaching humor. How many geocachers does it take to change a lightbulb? 15 and one fire truck, if it is a LPC. Why did the geocacher cross the road? Too far to go around. What did the geocacher say to his wife? Really, sometimes we do Cache at night.

Edited by BrrrMo

Ah have had much happen, but the most mortifying was being "attached" by 2 swans. Screaming and trying to throw rocks behind it to get its attention diverted for long enough for me to make a run for it. Unfortunately, the swans were smarter than I was and nipped at my legs chasing me until I ran into the park ranger. Who sniggered because he heard me scream bloody murder. And all this happened in NYC!

Edited by buttaskotch

I suppose there are other kinds of geocaching humor. How many geocachers does it take to change a lightbulb? Why did the geocacher cross the road? What did the geocacher say to his wife?

laughing at things that happen to you is not shadenfreude.

laughing at things that happen to OTHER people is schadenfreude.