Trouble with 60 csx

tntjoe

I have a garmin 60 csx I do geocaching with it I love it great GPS but ( theres always a BUT) lately I drive to the cache and the coords keep going down as I get closer but when I stop and get off the bike and start walking the darn thing stops tracking so I have to shut it down and restart it to get it to start tracking again very annoying and help would be nice also has a full battery dont know what else to do

I have a garmin 60 csx I do geocaching with it I love it great GPS but ( theres always a BUT) lately I drive to the cache and the coords keep going down as I get closer but when I stop and get off the bike and start walking the darn thing stops tracking so I have to shut it down and restart it to get it to start tracking again very annoying and help would be nice also has a full battery dont know what else to do

Hey tntjoe:

I have the same unit and I'm not certain I understand your question, but I think I have an idea. I don't bike to any caches, but often when I hike I might be experiencing the same problem you are describing. If you move too fast, it seems the innards of the machine just can't keep up and sort of freezes. I believe this is what you are referring to when you are saying that it "stops tracking". I also run into a situation that if I move too quickly toward a cache and then stop just as I reach ground zero, the icon that is supposed to represent "me" keeps moving.

I have often experienced, and have often read in other people's logs that they had to let the GPSr settle down for a minute or two to get a true reading of where they are. I'm not an expert, but believe it is a combination of the satellites shifting and always trying to take an average of where you are in relation to them and the electronics of the unit trying to interpret what it's receiving. At times this gives me the moving icon problem when I'm stationary and at times the whole screen just seems to freeze, even if I do keep moving myself.

Odd thing is that when I drive with the unit mounted to the dash, I don't seem to have the problem. When I do experience this problem though, I usually just hold still for a couple of minutes and let the unit catch its breath and soon enough I'm back in business. Try not turning it off and then back on, but rather just letting it sit for a minute. Your riding your bike with it might be moving it too fast to give decent readings.

My two-cents worth.

If you are navigating using the turn-by-turn feature, the GPS will stop tracking when you reach the destination. Before you reach the destination, switch to navigate in off-rode mode. You can change your default settings so you can choose between Follow Road and Off Road from the map screen or when you first select the waypoint.

Hey tntjoe:

I have the same unit and I'm not certain I understand your question, but I think I have an idea. I don't bike to any caches, but often when I hike I might be experiencing the same problem you are describing. If you move too fast, it seems the innards of the machine just can't keep up and sort of freezes. I believe this is what you are referring to when you are saying that it "stops tracking". I also run into a situation that if I move too quickly toward a cache and then stop just as I reach ground zero, the icon that is supposed to represent "me" keeps moving.

I have often experienced, and have often read in other people's logs that they had to let the GPSr settle down for a minute or two to get a true reading of where they are. I'm not an expert, but believe it is a combination of the satellites shifting and always trying to take an average of where you are in relation to them and the electronics of the unit trying to interpret what it's receiving. At times this gives me the moving icon problem when I'm stationary and at times the whole screen just seems to freeze, even if I do keep moving myself.

Odd thing is that when I drive with the unit mounted to the dash, I don't seem to have the problem. When I do experience this problem though, I usually just hold still for a couple of minutes and let the unit catch its breath and soon enough I'm back in business. Try not turning it off and then back on, but rather just letting it sit for a minute. Your riding your bike with it might be moving it too fast to give decent readings.

My two-cents worth.

Hey tntjoe:

My two-cents worth.

Also remember to re-calibrate the compass

I had the same thing going on yesterday if I understand your posting. I was out caching and the map screen seemed to freeze and I would power cycle my 60CSx too. Today before I went out I was looking over the unit again and it dawned on me that it may be "locking on road". I was on that the receiver had but it would not indicate me getting any closer to the cache. I went to the map page, hit menu, setup map and turned off "Lock On Road". I did not have any trouble today. Give it a shot. I was ready to blame the firmware update to 4.00.

Guy