Creating a Medicine Wheel coin

CCWelch

The pictures below were sent to me via "my design team" through my chosen coin maker Cache Addict who did such a beautiful job on the Dreamcatcher coin!!

I think it needs something in the center to make it stand out, I was leaning towards finishing the Compass Rose. The feather is one of 4 that will be added, the other 3 being a Phoenix for fire, A Dolphin for Water and Wolf for Earth. The Butterfly signifies Air.

The Current plan is to produce this in Copper and Silver which are the metals that would be used most often in Native American work.

Medicine-Wheel-Front.gif

This is the Front

Medicine-Wheel-Back.gif

This is the Back

Feather-ButterflyFront.gif

This is ONE of the feathers. I like the feather as is, I plan to leave that the way it is. They will be attached to the drill holes along the bottom edge.

Any suggestions will be considered

Thank you Mike for taking on this project!!!

ive seen a few medicine wheels,, if im not mistaken, they usually dipict a bison, a bear, a eagel and wolf,

if you take away the compass and use a medicine man you can use his arms and legs as directions. ????

just an idea to get your brain going. :rolleyes:

Hmm creating a Medicine Man that looks like he is being drawn and quartered......Not too sure about that idea. I will give it more thought.

I like your Idea , Just the way it is.

LOVE the feathers!!!

I want one in copper no matter what you end up doing

Great Design Idea!!!

I would just add that there are the 4 wind colors that can be used.

Here is a link to symbols, Check out the plant symbol and it's meaning.

Native Symbols

But I like it as is.!!!!

Opalsns

Edited by opalsns

I like your Idea , Just the way it is.

LOVE the feathers!!!

I want one in copper no matter what you end up doing

Great Design Idea!!!

I would just add that there are the 4 wind colors that can be used.

Here is a link to symbols, Check out the plant symbol and it's meaning.

Native Symbols

But I like it as is.!!!!

Opalsns

Thanks for the other ideas! once I get home today I will post the other photo that I received just as I was walking out the door showing all of the feather designs.(This is CCWashburn answering, just on Temacon's computer and account)

Edited by Temacon

snip

Wolf for Earth.

/snip

You had me at Wolf. :P I definitely want one!

Here is the newest photo including all of the feathers!

Wheel-and-Feathers-1.gif

/drool

I'm gonna have to make tis the one coin a month I am allowing myself to get for the next two years. Now that I have a new car with a car payment, I have to seriously limit myself. :anibad: Tis one's just one of those coins that I can NOT miss! I love it!

I love native american things! WOW!!!

I wish I had seen a medicine wheel, a real one from close....

Anyway... How about adding in the middle of the coin...at the center of the compas... a medicine hat? A native american one... ok? :anibad: ....or a buffalo, bison... they were great and respectfull animals for native americans! Maybe the white buffalo.... WOW!!! :P

I fall in love with the feather with the wolf! The silver and black is like snow at night!!! I m wondering if the feather was bigger if it could stand for a beautiful geocoin by itself!!! :D

Edited by GATOULIS

I think it'd be cool to put one of the border patterns, as on the page that opalsns referenced, in a circular band behind the compass rose, and to do it in semi-recessed metal so that it can "ride" under a translucent enamel. This is presuming that the rest of the coin isn't so 3D as to prevent the coin from being polished down, that is...

Anyway... How about adding in the middle of the coin...at the center of the compas... a medicine hat? A native american one... ok? :anibad: ....or a buffalo, bison... they were great and respectfull animals for native americans! Maybe the white buffalo.... WOW!!! :P

I fall in love with the feather with the wolf! The silver and black is like snow at night!!! I m wondering if the feather was bigger if it could stand for a beautiful geocoin by itself!!! :D

I am sure any of the feathers done larger would be able to be a geocoin...with my permission and Cache Addict doing the work being as they will hold this design copyright.

I'm gonna have to make tis the one coin a month I am allowing myself to get for the next two years. Now that I have a new car with a car payment, I have to seriously limit myself. :anibad: Tis one's just one of those coins that I can NOT miss! I love it!

I plan on it coming out in 2 different metals so it will become decisions..decisions.

I plan on it coming out in 2 different metals so it will become decisions..decisions.

That won't be hard. I usually go for copper metal finishes. :P We'll see when it comes out.

Pay no attention to the feathers, Here is the center we came up with, there is a design under the yellow if you look close and the colors will be translucent.

Medicine-Wheel-Symbols-2-2.gif

I am going with the tall slender feathers in the other posts, the design goes to the mint today. There will be a little tweaking of the design under the yellow and the phoenix background will be darkened so it is recogniable as a Phoenix and not a cooked chicken.

Just got a blueprint for my coin feathers....Most of the colors will be translucent and the White moon behind the wolf will be glow!!! I am soooo excited.

This will not have my caching name on it but this is designed off of my Tattoo on my left arm, if anyone questions if it is a personal coin in person, I will roll up my sleeve and say yup!

Just got a blueprint for my coin feathers....Most of the colors will be translucent and the White moon behind the wolf will be glow!!! I am soooo excited.

This will not have my caching name on it but this is designed off of my Tattoo on my left arm, if anyone questions if it is a personal coin in person, I will roll up my sleeve and say yup!

That's awesome! The glow, the tattoo, all of it! :P Can't wait to get one of these.

I'm anxiously awaiting this coin along with everyone else! I also like the idea of the individual feathers being done! (and yeah, add me to the list of wolf fans! :P ) Hope I don't miss out on this one! I started with geocoins *after* the dreamcatcher ones and am still bummed on that one!

I'm anxiously awaiting this coin along with everyone else! I also like the idea of the individual feathers being done! (and yeah, add me to the list of wolf fans! :P ) Hope I don't miss out on this one! I started with geocoins *after* the dreamcatcher ones and am still bummed on that one!

I got very lucky, I found one dream catcher on Ebay and then Sivota made my dream come true of owning the other 3!! I have all 4 and that is what egged me on to get my Medicine Wheel done. It is being made by the same people that made the dream catchers so I know the work will be excellent! I only hope for 2 things, 1. Enough sales for an Icon and 2. Enough sales that I don't have to buy 100 of them at once. Of course if I have enough sales for an icon there will be no question about the 100.

Please take into consideration this Tattoo is 13 year old with no touch ups, all single needle including the shading. it was 2 and a half hours of enduring the discomfort but will worth it to me.

mymedicinewheel.jpg

The blue "smudge" between the middle 2 feathers is the Artists signature it is a bear paw and this design was drawn for me then destroyed immediately after use. My designer/ artist was Baby Bear she runs a shop in Ocala Florida.

Anyway... How about adding in the middle of the coin...at the center of the compas... a medicine hat? A native american one... ok? <_< ....or a buffalo, bison... they were great and respectfull animals for native americans! Maybe the white buffalo.... WOW!!! :P

I fall in love with the feather with the wolf! The silver and black is like snow at night!!! I m wondering if the feather was bigger if it could stand for a beautiful geocoin by itself!!! :)

I am sure any of the feathers done larger would be able to be a geocoin...with my permission and Cache Addict doing the work being as they will hold this design copyright.

Trackable feather coins would be very nice!

What will the backs of the feathers look like ? Just curious. <_< I can't wait to see these in coin form. :P

Actually I don't think they are doing anything with the back of the feathers, we never discussed it.

It would be nice if they were something other than flat metal - maybe just an element/meaning/etc.

Or a 3D (or 2D) feather look. I hope you put something on the other side as well, but understand if you want to keep costs down. Doubt this is gonna be a cheap coin to make. <_<

Can't wait to see the samples, it looks great so far!

I'll step in to make a comment about the back of the feathers. The cost of the coin would go up considerable. A big difference between these feathers and the Dreamcatcher ones is that these are all different. There for the cost of this coin right now is made up of at least 6 dies. How do you say CHA, CHING, $.

So there will not be any back to speak of on these feathers.

Mike

Beautiful design, I love it B)

(especially since my last name is feather, well in Dutch it is)

Does this mean you will be wanting one?? I was hoping you would chime in on this design, I have not forgotten that you helped me finish my Dreamcatcher collection which goes with me to events for discovery only.

Or a 3D (or 2D) feather look. I hope you put something on the other side as well, but understand if you want to keep costs down. Doubt this is gonna be a cheap coin to make. B)

I'll step in to make a comment about the back of the feathers. The cost of the coin would go up considerable. A big difference between these feathers and the Dreamcatcher ones is that these are all different. There for the cost of this coin right now is made up of at least 6 dies. How do you say CHA, CHING, $.

Mike

Thank you Mike, that being said, these coins will be around $12 each but with all the details and the dangles etc they are definitely worth it!

Or a 3D (or 2D) feather look. I hope you put something on the other side as well, but understand if you want to keep costs down. Doubt this is gonna be a cheap coin to make. B)

Mike

Thank you Mike, that being said, these coins will be around $12 each but with all the details and the dangles etc they are definitely worth it!

Besides, I am considering the possibility of enlarging and releasing feathers as individual coins at a later date. Then they will get a back design.

Hmm. interesting coin. I'm going to add some commentary FWIW. You have to pay for a back strike plate either way, even if it's blank. They can't alleviate the strike pressure otherwise. Wondering if you could make the overall outside shape of the feathers the same, instead of inversing two. That way the back strike plate could be the backside die, common to all. With unique fronts. As it stands now you have to pay for two backside strike plates, why not reduce the cost to pay for one backside die? It would require flipping two feather shapes. I understand if the design warrants not doing that. Just thinking out loud. Very cool either way.

TMA

Not sure if we are going to have 3 "regulars and an LE or 2 regulars an LE and an XLE. I do know at this point the "regulars" which will be antique metal with matching feathers will be $12 and the LE or XLE which will be antique metal with multi antique metal finish feathers will be $15 or the entire set of 4 may be $42 and it will include a coordinating pathtag. There is also a possibility of sets of feathers sold as earrings. These prices are subject to change as details increase.

Not sure if we are going to have 3 "regulars and an LE or 2 regulars an LE and an XLE. I do know at this point the "regulars" which will be antique metal with matching feathers will be $12 and the LE or XLE which will be antique metal with multi antique metal finish feathers will be $15 or the entire set of 4 may be $42 and it will include a coordinating pathtag. There is also a possibility of sets of feathers sold as earrings. These prices are subject to change as details increase.

If you make earrings from the feathers, I may just need to get my ears pierced!

I can't wait to see the samples, this is going to be a fantastic coin :P WIth a great price for something with so many dies (thank you for that)!

Edited by ThirstyMick

Ohhhh, I was thinking a set of the wolves as earrings would be cool! :P

Ohhhh, I was thinking a set of the wolves as earrings would be cool! :rolleyes:

If only they were clip ons. :ph34r: I can't get my ears pierced. :P

Gold or Silver studs through the hole in the feather should make them work. looks like I should make some earrings.

Gold or Silver studs through the hole in the feather should make them work. looks like I should make some earrings.

That would be easy! And if the studs were removable then it would give the option of using other studs at times too. (basically an earring jacket type deal!) Or a french hook should be *really* easy to add if there's a hole at the top like it looks!

Howling Moon, bummer on having to go with clips only. (though I think there may be a way to do a conversion. I may have to check!) I didn't get my ears pierced until I was like 22. I saw a pair I wanted *really* bad for a wedding so broke down and took the chance. (use to have some skin issues so wasn't fun for the first few years!)

If only they were clip ons. :rolleyes: I can't get my ears pierced. :P

That would be easy! And if the studs were removable then it would give the option of using other studs at times too. (basically an earring jacket type deal!) Or a french hook should be *really* easy to add if there's a hole at the top like it looks!

Howling Moon, bummer on having to go with clips only. (though I think there may be a way to do a conversion. I may have to check!) I didn't get my ears pierced until I was like 22. I saw a pair I wanted *really* bad for a wedding so broke down and took the chance. (use to have some skin issues so wasn't fun for the first few years!)

There's a way to convert pierced earrings to clip ons. I bought a Wolf set a few years ago, and knew the guy who sold them to me. He converted them for me for a small fee. Unfortunately, even clip ons irritate my ears. I had my ears pierced twice as a child, and still have problems. :ph34r:

And remember , you'll be able to hang the feather on a chain or off a cell phone or even a pair of sunglasses

Ummm Just hang the whole coin on a chain and let it be a pendant. I know at least one of these is going on a piece of leather to be a necklace for me, just to show it off.

UPDATE: I got to see a picture of part of the finished product sample, sounds like this will go on reservation before March 15th!! I am so psyched!! I should be getting samples soon also!! :)