Hike Of The Month 2010

TotemLake

I'm in for Sunday!

If B+L aren't able to make it perhaps I would be looking for a ride to the trailhead as I'm a big baby when it comes to driving in inclement weather and on scary mountain passes. But please don't tell anyone that. I have a car and can meet up anywhere (perhaps somewhere between Seattle and the eastside?). I'd be happy to bribe with cupcakes and/or beer.

Let me know if you need a ride and I'll meet you at the below coordinates at 7:30.

N47° 29.2551'

W121° 47.5685'

If I can't carpool with LandRover I would like to meet up with you there if you have room. Then I don't have to drive my truck, I can drive the Geo.

I got room.

Be there with your gear ready to go. :anicute:

Let me know.

I'm in for Sunday!

If B+L aren't able to make it perhaps I would be looking for a ride to the trailhead as I'm a big baby when it comes to driving in inclement weather and on scary mountain passes. But please don't tell anyone that. I have a car and can meet up anywhere (perhaps somewhere between Seattle and the eastside?). I'd be happy to bribe with cupcakes and/or beer.

Let me know if you need a ride and I'll meet you at the below coordinates at 7:30.

N47° 29.2551'

W121° 47.5685'

If I can't carpool with LandRover I would like to meet up with you there if you have room. Then I don't have to drive my truck, I can drive the Geo.

I think I should be good to go on Sunday. I've spent the last two days hiking around the Mall of America and still have one more day to go (one floor a day) and so far the knee seems to be doing pretty good.

I'll be honest, I'd really love to join you all on this hike and I've been saying "I will one day" it seems for the last couple of years. Problem is, is that I don't know if my mighty Focus would be able to make it to the parking lot and I've never been snow shoeing before (which really makes me want to join you all on this trip)

I am available that day and am heading to Iraqistan in less than two weeks so I'd love to join.

Do we know what the road conditions will be this weekend and/or does anyone live in the Tacoma/Puyuallup area that wants a passenger seat filled? Also, where is the best place to rent snow shoes at?

Edited by CACHE KRAWLER

"I think I should be good to go on Sunday. I've spent the last two days hiking around the Mall of America and still have one more day to go (one floor a day) and so far the knee seems to be doing pretty good."

Are you serious LandRover about "hiking" the Mall of America one floor a day? That sounds like pure torture to me. Just wondering, lol.

Edited by CACHE KRAWLER

"I think I should be good to go on Sunday. I've spent the last two days hiking around the Mall of America and still have one more day to go (one floor a day) and so far the knee seems to be doing pretty good."

Are you serious LandRover about "hiking" the Mall of America one floor a day? That sounds like pure torture to me. Just wondering, lol.

Yep he is really out there with his family.

Jeff I kept telling you to waypoint the car! No wonder your lost.

I'll be honest, I'd really love to join you all on this hike and I've been saying "I will one day" it seems for the last couple of years. Problem is, is that I don't know if my mighty Focus would be able to make it to the parking lot and I've never been snow shoeing before (which really makes me want to join you all on this trip)

I am available that day and am heading to Iraqistan in less than two weeks so I'd love to join.

Do we know what the road conditions will be this weekend and/or does anyone live in the Tacoma/Puyuallup area that wants a passenger seat filled? Also, where is the best place to rent snow shoes at?

If you can walk, you can snowshoe! Yes, you may topple over a little more often but it’s SNOW. Getting up again is a bit more problematic, but you’ll have fun even if you land face-down in the snow. Poles are helpful but I managed a hike up and down steep terrain without them.

REI rents snowshoes for $20 if you’re a member. I’d loan you mine since I’m not going this time but Ironman has already asked.

95ae91ed-54f5-41e9-bc37-148d3b17cc34.jpg

Changing my maybe to a YES. I live in Federal Way and still have room for 3 more in the Land Rover.

I would like to meet up and carpool with you.

Leaving hogar de los Land Rover (N47 20.089 W122 18.125) at 0645. Still room for 3 more close frieds or 2 more not so close pals.

Planning on being there.

It was a very good time. Lots of blowdowns to navigate around so we didn't even get as far as we did last year before we decided it was pointless to continue. I'm lookikng at a different options to try for next time. This was one of the tougher snowshoe hikes I've done. Lots of crawling up the mountain side to navigate around the blow downs. Some short glissading instead of dealing with possible face plants. My shoes were long enough I could almost sit on the tails and slide. :)

L-R: TL, Ironman, LandRover, SudsyMaggie

4456d390-0b1c-44e3-b2e2-1328f53c4d22.jpg

Edited by TotemLake

Thanks for another memorable HOTM.

One year ago today I was starting to struggle with hikes like this and altitudes. This summer I had a heart valve replaced and this was my first snowshoe hike since.

Thanks again and I think this photo says it all:

6d43e852-5818-4962-ae02-6b7bbf02b219.jpg

What I didn't know was my wife, IronMaiden, put this card in with my lunch which we didn't stop to eat:

5e33aeff-1b58-4060-bafb-796bf52ed5bc.jpg

I don't know how she knew I would find her heart sparkling with snow up there anyway!

Edited by ironman114