Hike Of The Month 2010

TotemLake

Ok, there's just enough snow to make it a hassle without snowshoes, and not enough snow to make it worth while. I've decided to aim a little lower and head for Green Mountain - Olympic Panorama for the navigational challenge at the start.

Depending on available time after that one, I'll be aiming for Which Way Do I Go? and Lost In The Wilderness. And if we still have time and energy left, I may try for Real Bats in the Bellefry.

Saturday, 11/27 - I'll be at the below parking coordinates between 8:30-9AM.

N 47° 33.058 W 122° 49.625

Ok, there's just enough snow to make it a hassle without snowshoes, and not enough snow to make it worth while. I've decided to aim a little lower and head for Green Mountain - Olympic Panorama for the navigational challenge at the start.

Depending on available time after that one, I'll be aiming for Which Way Do I Go? and Lost In The Wilderness. And if we still have time and energy left, I may try for Real Bats in the Bellefry.

Saturday, 11/27 - I'll be at the below parking coordinates between 8:30-9AM.

N 47° 33.058 W 122° 49.625

That last one is well worth the effort. I haven't done the others.

Hey - I was just at those parking coordinates today. We hiked part way up Gold Mountain. Be prepared for a muddy mess getting to Bats in the Bellefry. I think this one is going on my calendar.

If you're going to do Bats - it needs to be right before or after Panorama. The other two are across the road. Which Way is up another dirt road that gets you pretty close to Lost but we didn't find that one. I think it would have meant going up yet another dirt road and we ran out of time when we were there.

Edited by Belleterre

Hey - I was just at those parking coordinates today. We hiked part way up Gold Mountain. Be prepared for a muddy mess getting to Bats in the Bellefry. I think this one is going on my calendar.

If you're going to do Bats - it needs to be right before or after Panorama. The other two are across the road. Which Way is up another dirt road that gets you pretty close to Lost but we didn't find that one. I think it would have meant going up yet another dirt road and we ran out of time when we were there.

I found the road access to Lost. It ends about 300 feet straight line from the cache location. It'll be on my PN-60 with it marked. I don't know how overgrown it will be but to give you an idea how old the imagery is, the parking lot to Green Mountain doesn't exist in it. <_<

Edited by TotemLake

That sure is an old image to not have the parking lot. LOL. Even the satelite photo from the cache page shows it. I hiked up the road that comes in SW of Which Way Do I Go. According to the cache page for Lost, the easiest way is to continue through the brush from there. Hmm. Can you send me the pic with the road you're thinking of for Lost? I plan on being at the Gold Creek parking lot at 0830 with Dad, Witty50 and Molly-the-hiking-dog.

That sure is an old image to not have the parking lot. LOL. Even the satelite photo from the cache page shows it. I hiked up the road that comes in SW of Which Way Do I Go. According to the cache page for Lost, the easiest way is to continue through the brush from there. Hmm. Can you send me the pic with the road you're thinking of for Lost? I plan on being at the Gold Creek parking lot at 0830 with Dad, Witty50 and Molly-the-hiking-dog.

I'll need your address. Mine is totemlake at gmail. I have three images for you to compare against.

I'm revisiting an HOTM DNF this month. Halfway to Kendal Katwalk, and to keep it fun, I'm targeting the 19th making it the anniversary of the HOTM DNF. This is a PMO cache but that doesn't mean non premium members can't join.

I'll be in the lot by 8AM with the intent to start hiking at 8:30.

Park at the West Snoqualmie Summit lower lot

N47° 25.5621'

W121° 24.9833'

Then cross under I-90 to get to the trailhead which last year was located here

N47° 25.7054'

W121° 24.9241'

Last year's group

59811e77-3d50-4d54-afaa-ca1f1961c0f9.jpg

Edited by TotemLake

I'm revisiting an HOTM DNF this month. Halfway to Kendal Katwalk, and to keep it fun, I'm targeting the 19th making it the anniversary of the HOTM DNF. This is a PMO cache but that doesn't mean non premium members can't join.

N47° 25.5621'

W121° 24.9833'

N47° 25.7054'

W121° 24.9241'

Last year's group

59811e77-3d50-4d54-afaa-ca1f1961c0f9.jpg

Since I'm already in the picture, I suppose I should try to make this one.

N47° 25.5621'

W121° 24.9833'

N47° 25.7054'

W121° 24.9241'

Last year's group

Since I'm already in the picture, I suppose I should try to make this one.

Oops, I spoke too soon. The 19th isn't going to be possible for me this month. I'll keep my eye out for the January HOTM.

What if I back it up to Saturday the 18th?

Still won't work for me, due to something wonderful which this way cometh. :P

However, that means my snowshoes will be available if if anyone needs a pair and wants to save a Jackson on rental fees. I don't remember the length, but they're MSR Lightning Ascents in brilliant red.

Oh, stop looking for the survival DVDs, Fe has had them all along. :ph34r:

Dude, it's the weekend before Christmas - parties! shopping! decorating! holiday travel! I'm headed to New Mexico for the holiday that Monday, so I'll be wrapping gifts, packing, and telling the cats to behave while I'm away.

Its the only weekend I have for a hike this month. Ok, if there are no takers for Saturday then I'll maintain it on Sunday.

Edited by TotemLake

However, that means my snowshoes will be available if if anyone needs a pair and wants to save a Jackson on rental fees. I don't remember the length, but they're MSR Lightning Ascents in brilliant red.

Time to get That Girl into snowshoeing!

Sat the 18th works best for me. I could do Sunday also though.

Time to get That Girl into snowshoeing!

Sat the 18th works best for me. I could do Sunday also though.

It it's better for you, then I'll plan for it. Same Bat time, same Bat channel.

LR, hope your knee does ok for this.

BrewerMD, keep us posted.

Love, I'm holding out hope for you. ;)

Oh and Criminal, thanks for the advisement. I had no where else to look. I tore the place apart. I even dug a 45 foot trench in the front yard. :D

Edited by TotemLake

and would be having breakfast blocks away from Dr. Who which I'm dying to find.

Did you find Dr. Who's sibling on Bainbridge?

Nope! Haven't cached on Bainbridge at all yet. But now I'm intrigued!

Don't forget Full of Hot Air. And in Silverdale there is Bingo with Darth Vador and Wait Until DARK!!. They will not disappoint.

Sorry, TL, went OT

and would be having breakfast blocks away from Dr. Who which I'm dying to find.

Did you find Dr. Who's sibling on Bainbridge?

Nope! Haven't cached on Bainbridge at all yet. But now I'm intrigued!

Don't forget Full of Hot Air. And in Silverdale there is Bingo with Darth Vador and Wait Until DARK!!. They will not disappoint.

Sorry, TL, went OT

No worries guys.

As I said earlier I'm on the fence for this one but I should I make it I would prefer Sunday, but that's just me.

I call shotgun!! (if you go)

Either day works for me. I have something else I could do on Saturday if Sunday is decided.

edit:

If I seem to be waffling, I may start on some new welding certs and classes are on Sat. I need all the advantages I can get for work.

Edited by ironman114

Here's the scorecard so far

Saturday = 3

Sunday = 3

Either = 1

Maybe = 2

Couples count as 1 on this score. I haven't added my vote in yet, but as a tie breaker, I'll lean towards Sunday as that was my primary date. Monday morning, I'll cast my tie breaker if there are no other preferences cast into this.

Still a maybe at this point, but SudsyMaggie's post reminded me to ask. Will I be able to get to the parking easily without chains/snow tires? Also, any kind of passes needed for parking? I should know by late this week if I'm up for the adventure. :rolleyes:

Free parking with no permits required although I think there's a point closer to the PCT trailhead at the end of the upper lot where the NWFP might be required.

Do not park at the ski resort on the other side of I-90. It is private property and we were blessed by a generous caretaker last year just as we were getting ready to pull out of the lot to park at the west summit.

I'm in for Sunday!

If B+L aren't able to make it perhaps I would be looking for a ride to the trailhead as I'm a big baby when it comes to driving in inclement weather and on scary mountain passes. But please don't tell anyone that. I have a car and can meet up anywhere (perhaps somewhere between Seattle and the eastside?). I'd be happy to bribe with cupcakes and/or beer.

Let me know if you need a ride and I'll meet you at the below coordinates at 7:30.

N47° 29.2551'

W121° 47.5685'

I'm in for Sunday!

If B+L aren't able to make it perhaps I would be looking for a ride to the trailhead as I'm a big baby when it comes to driving in inclement weather and on scary mountain passes. But please don't tell anyone that. I have a car and can meet up anywhere (perhaps somewhere between Seattle and the eastside?). I'd be happy to bribe with cupcakes and/or beer.

Let me know if you need a ride and I'll meet you at the below coordinates at 7:30.

N47° 29.2551'

W121° 47.5685'

If I can't carpool with LandRover I would like to meet up with you there if you have room. Then I don't have to drive my truck, I can drive the Geo.