Hike Of The Month 2010

TotemLake

Seems like one of those is in serious need for a visit but I'm not sure about Memorial weekend. I was kind of planning a maintenance run to Watson Watson My Bacon so that I'm freed up for a charity bike ride support in Oregon and a multi-day hike on the Kitsap in September.

If you don't do "Watson" as a HOTM, would you mind keeping me in the loop? How much more difficult/arduous is this than Snowshoe 101?

Seems like one of those is in serious need for a visit but I'm not sure about Memorial weekend. I was kind of planning a maintenance run to Watson Watson My Bacon so that I'm freed up for a charity bike ride support in Oregon and a multi-day hike on the Kitsap in September.

Kitsap isn't big enough for a multi-day hike, is it? :)

PNT trail from west to east is long enough to call it 4 1/2 days.

If you don't do "Watson" as a HOTM, would you mind keeping me in the loop? How much more difficult/arduous is this than Snowshoe 101?

I'll look at it some more after Saturday.

Are you sure you don't mean the Olympic Peninsula?

Are you sure you don't mean the Olympic Peninsula?

I always thought they were one and the same. Thanks for setting me straight.

Another one I've been eying for quite some time is Aix & Pains near Bumping Lake. With the low amount of snow we got this year it seems like this would be a good late spring (May/June) hike before it gets too hot over there.

Oooh, that does look fun! If it's not on a Sounders home game day, I'm in. :anibad:

Kitsap Peninsula is just the part between the Hood Canal and Puget Sound. It's actually considered a part of the Olympic Peninsula.

The PNT looks like a great hike from Port Townsend to Cape Alava. I'm not up to that much of a hike, but depending on the timing, I might help out with a car shuttle.

I'll keep this in mind as we get closer to the date.

Another one I've been eying for quite some time is Aix & Pains near Bumping Lake. With the low amount of snow we got this year it seems like this would be a good late spring (May/June) hike before it gets too hot over there.

I Would love to visit Mt. Aix and my cache again. If my vote carries any weight. :D

This carries a lot of weight Og. It's been a very long time since we hiked together and I'm always glad to have a cache owner in the group. ;) I'll plan this for later in the year when the weather is a bit more tame.

Edited by TotemLake

I Would love to visit Mt. Aix and my cache again. If my vote carries any weight. :)

This carries a lot of weight Og. It's been a very long time since we hiked together and I'm always glad to have a cache owner in the group. :blink: I'll plan this for later in the year when the weather is a bit more tame.

Great! I can't wait!

I'm trying to keep an earlier promise for something south of Olympia but I keep running into too far south or too short of a hike. So it's taking me longer than usual.

I tripped across this one but it's all service road to the top so I'm reserving this for plan B if I don't come up with something by Saturday.

I'm looking around for Plan A for a trail hike. I'm open to suggestions as long as we get out of the Snoqualmie/Stevens rut and try to push a little more west so others in the outlying areas can join in on a hike.

I'm trying to keep an earlier promise for something south of Olympia but I keep running into too far south or too short of a hike. So it's taking me longer than usual.

I tripped across this one but it's all service road to the top so I'm reserving this for plan B if I don't come up with something by Saturday.

I'm looking around for Plan A for a trail hike. I'm open to suggestions as long as we get out of the Snoqualmie/Stevens rut and try to push a little more west so others in the outlying areas can join in on a hike.

Really not sure what the snow level is but this area has been looking good for a while

Check out the area around

GC1WNXP

Really not sure what the snow level is but this area has been looking good for a while

GC1WNXP

hmmm maybe not, a trail report from the general area says 2 feet of snow at 4400 feet.

GC1WNXP

hmmm maybe not, a trail report from the general area says 2 feet of snow at 4400 feet.

There is also Sugerloaf and Mt McDonald near Kanasket Palmer. MD is 3300 but all logging road.

There is also Sugerloaf and Mt McDonald near Kanasket Palmer. MD is 3300 but all logging road.

A friend and I made the hike up Sugarloaf a couple weekends ago with our kids in tow. Nice hike, not too bad. A little much for the kids as they were wiped out by the end of the hike. And the weather isn't too bad.

Greg, I think I've mentioned the gold-themed caches here to you. There's a series of them on a trail up here. Problem is, it's way up here. I'm considering an event before or after a hike to get the caches near GC23Y4E (I don't have trail maps, but I'm sure I could find some) I've been looking forward to getting up there, but want to have company. I'm sure a lot of BCers would attend, so think about combining a HOTM with an event. :anibad: I may even have the perfect place for a repeat of the spud-fest in January...that was a hit, I think.

Greg, I think I've mentioned the gold-themed caches here to you. There's a series of them on a trail up here. Problem is, it's way up here. I'm considering an event before or after a hike to get the caches near GC23Y4E (I don't have trail maps, but I'm sure I could find some) I've been looking forward to getting up there, but want to have company. I'm sure a lot of BCers would attend, so think about combining a HOTM with an event. :anibad: I may even have the perfect place for a repeat of the spud-fest in January...that was a hit, I think.

I am planning a couple of northward hikes, but I'm really trying to stay focused south of me for this one.

Pye

Are those the ones that head up the west side of Sumas Mountain?

I was just looking at that area along with the trail that runs up Stewart further west.

Pye

Are those the ones that head up the west side of Sumas Mountain?

I was just looking at that area along with the trail that runs up Stewart further west.

Yep. I wasn't thinking of right away...probably not till May, at the earliest.

Not to get too technical on ya but South Mountains not south of Olympia. Its as far north of Olympia as Federal Way is.

How about Buck's Crossing Between Elbe and Ashford on the way to the Nisqually entrance to Mt. Rainier and it is south of Olympia?

Plan B it is. Sorry this took so long to settle on.

A South Mountain Surprise

Plan on a meet up at the trailhead by 9AM on Saturday the 27th.

Turn off to the trailhead is aproximately N 47° 17.282 W 123° 22.656

Adding the gate coords N 47° 17.415 W 123° 22.725

Don't drive past the gate if its open unless someone has the key to get out with.

Edited by TotemLake

It Looks like you planned this one just right:

Issued by The National Weather Service

Seattle/Tacoma, WA

4:28 pm PDT, Sat., Mar. 27, 2010

"A FRONTAL SYSTEM WELL OFFSHORE THIS AFTERNOON WILL STRENGTHEN BEFORE MOVING THROUGH THE PACIFIC NORTHWEST SUNDAY NIGHT AND MONDAY.

THE FRONT WILL BRING WINDY CONDITIONS TO WESTERN WASHINGTON... ESPECIALLY ALONG THE COAST SUNDAY NIGHT WHERE SUSTAINED WINDS OF 40 MPH AND GUSTS TO 60 MPH ARE POSSIBLE.

THE STORM WILL BRING SIGNIFICANT PRECIPITATION TO WESTERN WASHINGTON SUNDAY NIGHT AND MONDAY. THE HEAVIEST PRECIPITATION AMOUNTS WILL OCCUR OVER THE SOUTH SLOPES OF THE OLYMPIC MOUNTAINS... WHERE LOCAL RAINFALL AMOUNTS WILL LIKELY EXCEED 4 INCHES. THIS COULD DRIVE THE SKOKOMISH RIVER ABOVE FLOOD STAGE MONDAY OR MONDAY NIGHT.

THE SNOW LEVEL WILL BE AROUND 4000 FEET SUNDAY NIGHT AND GRADUALLY FALL TO AROUND 2500 FEET MONDAY NIGHT."

My spare time has been maxed out this past couple of weeks. I will put some thought to it after I meet my obligations.

Yes, a big shout-out to TotemLake for organizing WSGA's APE Cache Event for GeoWoodstock VIII - a very complex piece of work, and he is in the critical phase of pulling it together. You da man! :lol: