Hike Of The Month 2010

TotemLake

Just back from dinner with the Mrs and I will post more later.

It was a great day for a hike and the weather was friendly enough for the duration. NWCrew, no offence for not sticking around. We decided against the soup collage due to the brisk wind making it up the pass and I just wanted to get home to my wife and enjoy a nice dinner.

Thanks everone for making it! Hope to see y'all on the trail again!

Setting out yesterday, I had no goal in mind save to try snowshoeing. I figured that if my legs threatened to give out on the way to the final, I'd turn around. Well, they never threatened to give way, they just kept nagging at me. After finding the final and hanging my prayer flags nearby, the bones started screaming. There were a few instances where I had to keep blabbering to Greg and Drew to keep my mind off of the pain (my apologies for overloading you with the philosophical chatter). Other times, I would do a walking meditation where, instead of focusing on the breath, I focused on "One step. One step. One step." This allowed me to concentrate on just the act of putting one foot in front of the other, and not the pain involved in doing so. The last mile or so, though, was probably the hardest physical task I've ever undertaken. I got a bit emotional on the way home (plus a couple of instances on the trail), knowing that I literally had accomplished something impossible for me. Thanks to Greg for organizing this on a day when I could check off an item on my "bucket list". Thanks, too, for making sure I was safe and secure, and for the encouraging words all along the trail. I'm grateful to Drew, too, for the botany lessons. I will never forget how to distinguish a hemlock tree in a forest of conifers, and now know where to find a witch's broom the next time mine goes *pffft*. :) My apologies to all for being so slow and holding you up, and thank you so very kindly for your patience and camaraderie.

It's going to take some time to recover; I'm in extreme pain, but ya know what? Knowing what I know now, I'd do it again in a heartbeep. :D

And now, without further ado, my pics (in no particular order):

Abby-Vickie.jpg

Awe.jpg

BigTrees.jpg

DrewoftheHill.jpg

VineMaple.jpg

Yikes-1.jpg

Zen-1.jpg

I'll have you know that Greg didn't fall once that I know of. Ask me how many times I fell. :) Actually, I lost count. It didn't hurt, though, or mayhaps the other pain superseded the pain from falling; my legs are pretty bruised today. What a day. What a DAY! :huh:

And, for those of you who I asked about Facebook, this is my profile; please add me as a friend.

Okay, I am being done now. :D

I'm considering this cache for the next snowshoe hike. Because the three day weekend also falls on Valentine's day, I don't dare use it, so I must choose between Coinapalooza and a Sequim event weekend. I'm thinking of 2/20. This is a difficult hike based on 6.5 miles RT with 3,500 feet elevation gain on the way in.

Edited by TotemLake

I'm considering this cache for the next snowshoe hike. Because the three day weekend also falls on Valentine's day, I don't dare use it, so I must choose between Coinapalooza and a Sequim event weekend. I'm thinking of 2/20. This is a difficult hike based on 6.5 miles RT with 3,500 feet elevation gain on the way in.

Has the road in been reopened? According to Ruck's log it looked like the hike may be about 9 miles.

Could be another snow shoe hike that isn't too snow shoie. Recient Trip report from the cache owner.

Could be another snow shoe hike that isn't too snow shoie. Recient Trip report from the cache owner.

Bummer. Alright, back to the whiteboard.

I'm about to hang up the snowshoes for the season. Warm weather is making the snow less accessible and what is available is becoming too risky to get out on. NWAC has the risk up to a factor of 3 by noon tomorrow and strongly increasing. I'll be looking at a lowlands hike this time around so stay tuned.

Avalanche risk maintaining at level 3 is making me put the snowshoes away for the season. So with this in mind, I was toying with going after the Lime Kiln Trail but I think I'd like to go after Monte Cristo. It appears accessible with the lack of snow in the lower elevations.

So I'll put it to you folks and see which you'd like to go after instead. Final vote tally will be Monday evening with the plans for hiking on the 20th of February.

I was toying with going after the Lime Kiln Trail but I think I'd like to go after Monte Cristo. It appears accessible with the lack of snow in the lower elevations.

So I'll put it to you folks and see which you'd like to go after instead. Final vote tally will be Monday evening with the plans for hiking on the 20th of February.

I vote for Monte Cristo, since there are a few newer caches I haven't done there (vs. Lime Kiln). Hope to make it, although my Cougar AHOTM is the next day (Sunday, Feb 21).

Edited by hydnsek

Six of one half dozen of the other since I've done them both. Although I would like to see the new location of the Monte Cristo Concentrator Cache after all the hubbub about the cache being in a Superfund site (it wasn't) and such. That concentrator, the Boston American and 1 of 2 in the area, was never put into production as it was built in anticipation of the reactivation of the Boston American mine that never happened. The other concentrator is the one on the Superfund list, and it is surrounded by a construction fence to warn people away.

If it is decided to do Monte Cristo a visit to the Mont Cristo Preservation Association web site is a good starting point to get some accurate history and info about the area. Printing out a copy of the MCPA Brochure to bring along would also add a lot to the experience.

I am interested in seeing both concentrator locations. I also want to see how far up the trail we can go to the glacial falls cache. So far the leaning is heading to Monte Carlo.

Also, for this year, I'm attempting to look to the dry side as well as to the south to break up the hiking venues somewhat. I feel like I'm visiting the same locales too many times. There's a lot to see but I want to expand my horizons too. So if anybody has good destination caches in mind, I'm open to suggestions.

:o I really want to get out but until the Doctor's clear the kid I'm stuck doing a little bit here and there.

We are trying complete BLIND MAN at Highpoint. Good walks for him as we have a very close idea where to look next.

A idea hit me and you may enjoy is GC21TFN - Whole lot of BS, getting this one would give 3 others, as GC21THA, GC21W76 & GC21TQ1. There is several on the way in and a chance off shoot to Wash Out GCMXXA.

Sure miss the gang and hope to make it one of these times.... :)

We'll probably look at those during the summer. I'm intending to stay out of the snow areas for the remainder of the season.

With that said, I'm aiming for Monte Cristo and plan to be at the parking by 8AM with a take off time of 8:30 unless everybody is ready before then.

It looks like the gate starts about here:

N 48° 01.523

W 121° 26.615

Edited by TotemLake

I'm pretty sure I can make it, but won't know for sure til Fri. Is the mileage around 7round trip? it looks pretty flat.Are kids welcome in case I need to backpack my 4yrs old?

If we make it all the way to glacier falls cache it's between 10 & 11 miles. It is a pretty flat hike the only real elevation gain is between MC and glacier falls cache and that's not too bad (400' in .75 miles)

I'l be there, and cait wait!! it'll be my first! loading the caches now. Anyone want meet and carpool I'm coming via Monroe.

I'm going straight up 9 from 522 to Granite Falls. I plan on making the turn off onto 9 at about 6:50AM. I can be there 15 minutes earlier and meet you on the backside of Costco. If you're planning on bringing your tyke, be aware I'll have my dog so the car seat will need to come to my car which means we'll need to meet a little earlier than that for the switch.

I mentioned this to hydnsek, but figured I might post it here since she wasn't sure if she was super interested this early in the year with the shorter days, which would then mean an early morning, teehee.

But yeah, 30th anniversary of st. helens is coming up, maybe a hike in that general area for the month of May? Not a crater hike, but something down in the area with a few caches to grab and a nice view and a moment of silence for mr. truman, heh.

Just a suggestion :lol:

I mentioned this to hydnsek, but figured I might post it here since she wasn't sure if she was super interested this early in the year with the shorter days, which would then mean an early morning, teehee.

But yeah, 30th anniversary of st. helens is coming up, maybe a hike in that general area for the month of May? Not a crater hike, but something down in the area with a few caches to grab and a nice view and a moment of silence for mr. truman, heh.

Just a suggestion :blink:

Like going to GC15C2H and GC15C2J? :shocked::blink:

Just a suggestion :blink:

Like going to GC15C2H and GC15C2J? :shocked::blink:

Seems like one of those is in serious need for a visit but I'm not sure about Memorial weekend. I was kind of planning a maintenance run to Watson Watson My Bacon so that I'm freed up for a charity bike ride support in Oregon and a multi-day hike on the Kitsap in September.