Hike Of The Month 2010

TotemLake

HOTM for January 10 will be the Snowshoe 101. I promise there was no collusion.

There will be a beginner's class before the hike starts. Those that can't make the full hike will still receive the HOTM sig item. I'll need a show of hands to make sure I have enough made.

Class will start at 8AM. Hike starts at 9AM. I will be there at 7AM to help newbs with how to get their shoes on.

A Sno-park pass is required. You can pick one up at the gas statons at the North Bend shopping center. Sometimes there is a ranger there selling them too.

Other caches in the area I'll be aiming for:

A Little Birdie...

Gold Creek Arches

Edited by TotemLake

There will be a beginner's class before the hike starts. Those that can't make the full hike will still receive the HOTM sig item. I'll need a show of hands to make sure I have enough made.

Class will start at 8AM. Hike starts at 9AM. I will be there at 7AM to help newbs with how to get their shoes on.

Do we have to bring our own snowshoes? Sounds like a lot of fun, but winter outdoors activities are not in my repertoire. So I'd have to borrow/rent a pair to join the hike.

Do we have to bring our own snowshoes? Sounds like a lot of fun, but winter outdoors activities are not in my repertoire. So I'd have to borrow/rent a pair to join the hike.

Yep, if you don't own a set, you'll need to rent or borrow. If you're a member of REI, the rental is reasonable and there is no deposit to be made. Don't wait to the day before to set up the rental. They go pretty quick. Rentals are for the day of use only. Which means your pickup the day before and drop off the day after are not charged.

How long is the hike expected to last? Based on distance, I'd guess about 5-6 hours roundtrip. That about right?

With snowshoeing you always figure an average of 1 MPH so your esitmate is about right. YMMV as you gain experience. Also figure digging time if any is needed and a quick lunch at or near the turn around. Regardless, I'm making the hard time turn back at 2-2:30.

ahhhhh, a sunday expedition, I might be game for this, especially now that the seahawks home games are over with and their season in general, but that's another thread itself. Anyways, I'll check into this a little more and see if my mom is game since she has been bothering me about snowshoeing, so a 101 course might be right up both our alleys...

edit: I talked with her and I could have as many as four coming, though we would only need one HOTM sig item if that's an issue, your call I guess. My mom was asking about the length of the hike and if that would be a good idea for someone who doesn't hike every day and has never snow shoed? I looked at the cache page and saw it's 5.5 miles round trip, is that bad? Sorry, never been out in the snow like this before and don't want to be "those people" who ball everyone else up when we bite off more than we/she can handle.

Edited by NWCREW

HOTM for January 10 will be the Snowshoe 101. I promise there was no collusion.

A Sno-park pass is required. You can pick one up at the gas statons at the North Bend shopping center. Sometimes there is a ranger there selling them too.

Other caches in the area I'll be aiming for:

A Little Birdie...

Gold Creek Arches

I bought boots, wool blend socks, and wool insoles on my ride into Canuckia today (also found five caches north of the border, the first I'd sought since moving to Sumas). Michele of LucyandRickie graciously offered the use of her snowshoes and poles; she'll bring them to the holiday event. Any clothing recommendations? My coat isn't water-resistant, but it's warm. At one time, I had some water-resistant pants that go over my jeans, but I can't find them. I'm assuming something like that or gaiters are wise...? Anything else I should know?

I am SO looking forward to this! My bones have been yelling at me the past few days, but I've kinda been pushing my limits. I'll go for a couple of easy rides early this week, then probably take it easy for a day or two before I take the train south on Friday (already made reservations for me and my baby [folding] bicycle). I feel all giddy, like a kid going on a fun field trip. :)

The list of people who have somehow heard about this seems to be increasing. My mom wants to, like I've already mentioned(she joined me on the AHOTM in capitol forest) and she was mentioning this to my uncle and his family who got a GPS for christmas, for various reasons, one being that they had heard about geocaching but didn't really know how to start. So TotemLake, be honest and let me know what you think. Am I stepping on toes inviting several of my family members along or should I just leave 'em be. Like I mentioned before, most of them aren't avid hikers, but maybe we could show up for the 101 part of it and then go off on our own for some of the close caches that you mentioned?

As I see it, those two caches would be on the way to snowshoe 101 and are much closer, but I'm not 100% sure where we would be parking either.

Edited by NWCREW

The list of people who have somehow heard about this seems to be increasing. My mom wants to, like I've already mentioned(she joined me on the AHOTM in capitol forest) and she was mentioning this to my uncle and his family who got a GPS for christmas, for various reasons, one being that they had heard about geocaching but didn't really know how to start. So TotemLake, be honest and let me know what you think. Am I stepping on toes inviting several of my family members along or should I just leave 'em be. Like I mentioned before, most of them aren't avid hikers, but maybe we could show up for the 101 part of it and then go off on our own for some of the close caches that you mentioned?

As I see it, those two caches would be on the way to snowshoe 101 and are much closer, but I'm not 100% sure where we would be parking either.

You're stepping on my toes if I let my big fat feet get in the way of having fun. Bring it on! I just need to know how many that's my 2nd to biggest request. My biggest request is to have fun.

As for the clothing question above, it's very easy to over dress. Wear layers you're willing to carry. Snowshoeing is as aerobic a workout as any exercise you can come up with to get the heart rate up. You will feel it in terms of muscle usage and overall body heat generation just getting around.

Don't forget the potluck soup! Bring a can each of your favorite non-cream based soup to add to the pot.

Parking is going to be where you can find it. I'm going to try to park as close to the trailhead as I can. Look for a white Grand Cherokee Jeep with an orange ribbon tied to the cargo rail. It'll have the Taz Devil visible on the tailgate if it is closed.

Edited by TotemLake

Don't forget the potluck soup! Bring a can each of your favorite non-cream based soup to add to the pot.

This potluck soup sounds intriguing, but I'm betting it ain't gonna be vegetarian fare, eh? I hope I don't offend anyone if I bring meatless food for myself. I'll bring something for the pot, too.

This potluck soup sounds intriguing, but I'm betting it ain't gonna be vegetarian fare, eh? I hope I don't offend anyone if I bring meatless food for myself. I'll bring something for the pot, too.

Too true. No offence if you don't bring anything to add if you're not dipping from it. :anibad:

Is anyone perchance going to be driving by Monroe before heading for the hills? I need a ride and will pay for gas. But please, don't go to any trouble. If this works out, I'll be tickled. If it doesn't, I'll be tickled for everyone else.

What?! Allanon isn't playing chauffeur and heating the potluck soup for us while we hike? You don't have him very well trained. :anibad::anibad::)

Is anyone perchance going to be driving by Monroe before heading for the hills? I need a ride and will pay for gas. But please, don't go to any trouble. If this works out, I'll be tickled. If it doesn't, I'll be tickled for everyone else.

What?! Allanon isn't playing chauffeur and heating the potluck soup for us while we hike? You don't have him very well trained. :D:unsure::D

If you can manage to find yourself at Totem Lake PnR by 6, I have room in the Jeep. Return back to Monroe won't be an issue.

*wonders if the Froomlord is watching*

No one can break that wild steed. moto.gif

phil_40.gif

What?! Allanon isn't playing chauffeur and heating the potluck soup for us while we hike? You don't have him very well trained. :D:D:(

If you can manage to find yourself at Totem Lake PnR by 6, I have room in the Jeep. Return back to Monroe won't be an issue.

phil_40.gif

I see everything... :D

TL, if she's still willing (and will get herself out of bed early enough), I'll have her there by 6 for you to add to your car.

And as for training... :unsure:

Last I heard the soup was going to be 'made' at the turn-around point on the trail, not in the parking lot and I'm not walking all that way just to play sous chef...nor do I want to wait 5+ hours in the car for everyone to come back...I prefer to nap on my couch while I wait... :D

TL, if she's still willing (and will get herself out of bed early enough), I'll have her there by 6 for you to add to your car.

And as for training... :unsure:

Last I heard the soup was going to be 'made' at the turn-around point on the trail, not in the parking lot and I'm not walking all that way just to play sous chef...nor do I want to wait 5+ hours in the car for everyone to come back...I prefer to nap on my couch while I wait... :D

I'm willing! And I can be up and out of bed and cheerful at just about any hour of the day. I just don't do it if I don't have to. :D

Thanks, Greg...your offer is very kind and humbly accepted. And Brian, what can I say? Can't wait to see ya. :D

What?! Allanon isn't playing chauffeur and heating the potluck soup for us while we hike? You don't have him very well trained. :D:):D

phil_40.gif

I see everything... :D

And as for training... :D

I'm not hauling a big camp stove and kettle big enough to hold all the soup to the turn around point.

Edited by TotemLake

Trailhead is here. I'm aiming as close to it as I can. It looks like there's a parking loop there but I don't know if will be accessible.

47° 23.669 W 121° 22.654

Last time I snowshoed at Gold Creek, we had to park outside on the main road and walk in; they didn't plow the entrance road or parking area.

Trailhead is here. I'm aiming as close to it as I can. It looks like there's a parking loop there but I don't know if will be accessible.

47° 23.669 W 121° 22.654

Last time I snowshoed at Gold Creek, we had to park outside on the main road and walk in; they didn't plow the entrance road or parking area.

Thanks for this! We'll likely see the same conditions this year. So look for the Jeep near that location.

I'm not sure what the cell coverage is for ATT over there, but PM me if you want my number for the "We're coming don't leave without us!" message.

Again the jeep will be marked with orangish(?) flagging tape on the rail on the roadside and will have a taz devil on the tailgate when the gate is closed.

Does anyone know if a little car without 4WD will be able to safely make it to where ever we might be parking? That will be my biggest concern. I'm leaning towards coming, but I have to see how I feel after snowboarding (I was in pain for a week last time). :blink:

Does anyone know if a little car without 4WD will be able to safely make it to where ever we might be parking? That will be my biggest concern. I'm leaning towards coming, but I have to see how I feel after snowboarding (I was in pain for a week last time). :blink:

Yes, you can. ;) Exit 54 off I-90, go under freeway toward Gold Creek. Park where they stop plowing; road should be fine to that point.

Edited by hydnsek

Yes, you can. ;) Exit 54 off I-90, go under freeway toward Gold Creek. Park where they stop plowing; road should be fine to that point.

If my feeble memory is correct; any legal parking north of the Hyak exit requires a Snowpark Pass?

If my feeble memory is correct; any legal parking north of the Hyak exit requires a Snowpark Pass?

Yup. Mentioned a couple of times now but thanks for the reminder. It helps to reinforce. :lol:

I was ever so hopeful to make this trip... But, the healing process is a slow one with a broken wrist. I tried to hold a trekking pole a few minutes ago - no strength and all pain put an end to that. I still have several weeks in a cast ahead of me so I'll aim for the next outing, be it HOTM or AHOTM... or both! I'm sure you'll all have fun on Sunday; I look forward to reading your logs :anibad:

hydnsek, you behave... there's no jinxing allowed in 2010! :P

I was ever so hopeful to make this trip... But, the healing process is a slow one with a broken wrist. I tried to hold a trekking pole a few minutes ago - no strength and all pain put an end to that. I still have several weeks in a cast ahead of me so I'll aim for the next outing, be it HOTM or AHOTM... or both! I'm sure you'll all have fun on Sunday; I look forward to reading your logs B)

hydnsek, you behave... there's no jinxing allowed in 2010! :P

hope all is well, drink that orange juice :anibad:

Hope to see you out on the trail soon!

hydnsek, you behave... there's no jinxing allowed in 2010! :)

Ditto that luluonthego. I missed a full month of hiking when I broke my fibula.

Hey! :P:D:lol:

Btw, some friends heard about the clumsy cachers, and I received an emergency "SAM Splint, the pocket cast" for Christmas. I'll have it with me Sunday...just in case. B)

Edited by hydnsek

hydnsek, you behave... there's no jinxing allowed in 2010! :)

Ditto that luluonthego. I missed a full month of hiking when I broke my fibula.

Hey! :P:D:lol:

Btw, some friends heard about the clumsy cachers, and I received an emergency "SAM Splint, the pocket cast" for Christmas. I'll have it with me Sunday...just in case. B)

I've carried a SAM for years, only had to use it once (a climbing partner with 5 to 7 breaks mid-calf thru ankle). They are amazing things, you can splint just about anything (with two even a upper leg break). They even make a small finger splint (3 pak at REI).

Wow, I had an amazing time today, thank you to everyone who showed up, thanks to TL for showing me and my family the ropes when it comes to snow shoes, even though I walked the last mile or so in my shoes. We all have fun and are planning our next snow shoe adventure for my girlfriend and sister who couldn't make it today. Nice meeting you all and sorry for not hanging around afterwards, we didn't have any soup to offer and the hike was starting to set in on our bodies. So I hope I didn't offend anyone. Also, everyone who took pictures, if you happen to upload them somewhere, I'd love to look through them and maybe grab a few for facebook. I'll be uploading a video tonight or sometime this week since that's all I was doing with me phone, just video. Don't expect anything super fancy, but yeah, good times.

Thanks again totemlake for setting this up, had a wonderful time!