What did you do with your "GOLDEN AMMO CAN"?

I am 2 caches away from #1000, there for trying to find which cache I want to achieve the milestone at. So of course the visions of the "Golden Ammo Can" are in my head and I began to think... What do people do with them? My friend Titansfan has his in his office so it gives him a good way to introduce people to Geocaching.

So what have you done or what do you plan to do with your "Golden Ammo Can"

Don't forget to share pictures!

What golden ammo can? Not sure where your friend got his, but this isn't something official.. maybe a local caching group?

-Ben

I thought it was a common practice to present a golden ammo can to a cacher who has found their 1000th cache. Kind of a milestone thing. In my area TN/KY we will hold an event and present it to them there.

Edited by Influence Waterfowl Calls

What golden ammo can? Not sure where your friend got his, but this isn't something official.. maybe a local caching group?

-Ben

I thought it was a common practice to present a golden ammo can to a cacher who has found their 1000th cache. Kind of a milestone thing. In my area TN/KY we will hold an event and present it to them there.

It is somewhat common but certainly not widespread. There are lots of geocaching customs, and especially the use of terminology that are pretty localized. In my area, golden ammo cans are not presented to someone that has reached 1000 finds as often as a golden ammo can is hidden by someone else as a tribute to a cacher achieving that goal.

So far the idea I am leaning towards is to make it the container to take my geocoin collection to events with. As it is now there would be plenty of space in there. I would give it a trackable # as well so you could log it. I have also been trying to think of a way to make it a cache too but I have not thought of a secure location. I would hate to loose it to a muggle. I know it is just an ammo can with spray paint. :rolleyes:

So far the idea I am leaning towards is to make it the container to take my geocoin collection to events with. As it is now there would be plenty of space in there. I would give it a trackable # as well so you could log it. I have also been trying to think of a way to make it a cache too but I have not thought of a secure location. I would hate to loose it to a muggle. I know it is just an ammo can with spray paint. :anibad:

The only way I used mine is because it is protected so well. And you have to read dozens of signs and do math to find it. Only found 8 times in 9 months. One other cacher went to look for it but an event onsite prevented them.

What do you do with it? Well, around here, you just leave it out in the woods. You don't get to take it home with you. It isn't presented to you. If you're lucky (and quick, or your friends email you the coords before publication) you might just get FTF, but that's about it.

I agree, also, with those that said that 1000th should be silver, but a recent thread on the issue showed how regional the whole thing is.

Our Golden Ammo Can is in my home office with a "Zulu" pith helmet on top and and both binoculars and telescope in front of it. It reminds us of the adventures we had along the way. Of course we have never used the telescope and seldom the binoculars and if I wore the pith helmet while caching, my wife wouldn't let me out of the car :anibad:

but it's the symbol of the fun, the laughs, the difficulties along the way and the people we've met on that journey.

We were surprised and embarrassed when local cachers decided to give us a golden ammo can. We're not social cachers at all and had never attended an event at that time (the only two we've attended since involved helping out the Army Corps and a treasure hunt on an island). The community only knew us through our caches, log entries on caches found, and occasional meeting on the trail. In fact they had a really hard time figuring out how to give us the golden ammo can since we really aren't social and never did respond to their heartwarming attempts to get us to attend one of their meetings! They finally hid it in the woods and sent us an email to go get it. They are great people. The best thing we could think of was to get permission from a nearby sanctuary and re-hide the container in the manner we most appreciate (nice walk through a natural area to a scenic place) and called it The Golden Rule.

n the SF Bay area, we don't do that at all. There are >190 people with >1000 finds and >100 with 2000 finds. We even have 9 people with >10K.

We were just commenting that getting 1000 finds is way easier than it was when we started playing. Our state forums seem to offer up congrats about three times a week now to someone who's hit 1000. There are fourteen teams in the state with over 5000 and of those, 5 are over 10.000. One is really close to 20,000. It's still a big milestone to hit 1000, but easier to do now if one chooses to cache that enthusiastically.

n the SF Bay area, we don't do that at all. There are >190 people with >1000 finds and >100 with 2000 finds. We even have 9 people with >10K.

We were just commenting that getting 1000 finds is way easier than it was when we started playing. Our state forums seem to offer up congrats about three times a week now to someone who's hit 1000. There are fourteen teams in the state with over 5000 and of those, 5 are over 10.000. One is really close to 20,000. It's still a big milestone to hit 1000, but easier to do now if one chooses to cache that enthusiastically.

Yep one of my caching friends in TN said back when he started there was only 1 in the entire county, now they have tons!

I agree, also, with those that said that 1000th should be silver, but a recent thread on the issue showed how regional the whole thing is.

In Mississippi, 1,000 finds gets a gold ammo can presented by a local caching group. Later milestones also get ammo cans, color determined by local preference.