Lame Ammo Can Hides

Hmm... A lame ammo can... I can think of a couple... :unsure: umm... I get out of the car. look at the coords, look at the trail. I see a bridge 50 feet away. I toss my GPSR back in the car and go get the can from under the bridge... WOW GREAT HIDE!!!

also, I can think of TONS of really stupid "regular hides" where someone took some zip lock container and tossed it just off the trail under a couple rocks, no though to it... or under a park bench, or in the crook of a tree, or, or, or...

hmm... sounds to me like every size from the Nano, all the way up to the Ammo can has its pluses and minuses. I personally believe that any size could be great, its just up to the CO to make it that way :)

Ammo cans are cool, no lie. But, they always give me the heebies when I find them.

Here, the are covered with rocks and sticks. And almost guarenteed to have a scorpion underneath. It's always a scary prospect.

But, once you've deemed them to be safe, they are pretty cool!

This is the only lame ami can thread for some odd reason..:blink:

hmmm well, I've seen a few Ammo cans ... 2 in particular that were quite a 'trek' to get to (more than I expected actually) and after hiking up to the GZ, cussin under my breath because the info didn't imply a very realistic 'terrain' level... the Ammo can was very exposed. Yeah.. it was at the root of a tree all right, but after climbing over and under logs, walking narrow paths that dropped off into a fast flowing creek below etc... I was really surprised to see it .. just like that... not even a twig to disguise it. It hadn't been found in a while either so one would think that leaves, falling branches etc.. would at least partially hide it.. so we tried to cover it some.

Now that sounds like a sweet cache. Seriously? Dropping into a fast flowing creek? I think I would love that one!

Hmm... A lame ammo can... I can think of a couple... :blink: umm... I get out of the car. look at the coords, look at the trail. I see a bridge 50 feet away. I toss my GPSR back in the car and go get the can from under the bridge... WOW GREAT HIDE!!!

also, I can think of TONS of really stupid "regular hides" where someone took some zip lock container and tossed it just off the trail under a couple rocks, no though to it... or under a park bench, or in the crook of a tree, or, or, or...

hmm... sounds to me like every size from the Nano, all the way up to the Ammo can has its pluses and minuses. I personally believe that any size could be great, its just up to the CO to make it that way :mad:

man, I love exploring under bridges!

And anything "just off the trail" is obviously on a trail, so it can't be all bad! At least it is not under a dumpster behind McDs!

I think some people need to be more gratefull!

Ok and I have seen ( last week 2 ) one Ammo can that was a bit hard to find because of a SWAMP and LOADS of skeeters....and Wow there it is a Ammo box....so you opem , to find Mc toys ....second one , same story but this time the swag was so bad that even a Mac toy would make a nice find.

something like that ain't fun...I better stay on the parking lot and sign a Nano log.

Lame hide..ok, ok I can deal with that but , Please find better swag...

M.TEX

There are plenty of threads bashing the lame micros.

Let's hear about lame ammo can hides. You know, the ones in parks with just a scant covering of sticks and leaves on top. Got any to share? :blink:

There's something that feels substantial in finding an ammo can, that no film canister will ever fulfill. Ever if the location sucks, opening up the ammo can kind of just feels like geocaching the way it was meant to be done, at least IMO.

Lame ammo can? Are you serious? Just goes to show that no matter what is put out there, somebody, for reasons that they believe to be righteous and superior - they are gonna b!+(h about it or insult it. There have been threads and rants about micros ad nauseum, so now we have to move on to ammo cans? I suppose it must be nice to live in an area so saturated with caches that you have the luxury of judging and insulting the offerings of cachers. Cachers who's only intent is to further the game, further the enjoyment of some schmuck like me who is happy to have a new cache pop up so I can get out and have a bit of fun. And yes, even micros do indeed provide fun for many of us. So when I read that you classify a can as lame, well, here's my rebuttal... phbtttttttt!!!

Proceed with your flames and angst.... have at it, I won't be back to read it...

Lame ammo can? Are you serious? Just goes to show that no matter what is put out there, somebody, for reasons that they believe to be righteous and superior - they are gonna b!+(h about it or insult it. There have been threads and rants about micros ad nauseum, so now we have to move on to ammo cans? I suppose it must be nice to live in an area so saturated with caches that you have the luxury of judging and insulting the offerings of cachers. Cachers who's only intent is to further the game, further the enjoyment of some schmuck like me who is happy to have a new cache pop up so I can get out and have a bit of fun. And yes, even micros do indeed provide fun for many of us. So when I read that you classify a can as lame, well, here's my rebuttal... phbtttttttt!!!

Proceed with your flames and angst.... have at it, I won't be back to read it...

Ah well, I guess that's good because obviously you haven't read any of it to begin with. :blink:

Sorry to hear that. Because the OP is a notorious prankster, and is just kidding around. At least I think he is. :mad: Hey, I traveled to Wichita Falls a couple of times in the 90's for work. That was before Geocaching existed, but it would have been cool to find some caches there. How is the caching?

I ask only because I know you're reading this. :blink:

How does this one rate?

lamppostmicro.jpg

LoL. This pic seems to show up at least once a month on here some how or another.

Anyone know who first posted it?

I'm going to say Ventura Kids, but don't quote me on that. They're around here enough, I'm sure they'd own up to it.

Honestly, most regular sized caches I've found have been underwhelming thus far...

smalls seem a little easier to hide somewhere tricky without being obnoxious and holding a TB.

That said, my recent large is the greatest cache of all time...

Edited by d+n.shults

I like the 50 cal skirt lifter! That's awesome!!!

I had a lame ammo can once.

It was a weird flat one, if I remember right, it once held some kind of rocket shells. anyway it was a PUZZLE can. Even the CO admitted that the stupid lid didn't fit right going back on, once you got it lined up perfectly it took about 200 lbs of force to close. ...but the log was DRY!

Or did you mean "lame" as in sucky not damaged?

I think my favorite caches are ammo cans that involve long hikes, have a terrain rating of at least 3, and a low difficulty rating. I like long hikes, but when I've been hiking all day, I suddenly get tired and lazy and want the cache to basically spring forth from the ground and say "Howdy!!!". :unsure: So, I must be a hiker first and a cacher second.

I'm learning to appreciate the micros more, as I'm getting addicted to the point that I'll take whatever I can get when I'm out running errands in the city, but there's nothing as gratifying to me as a long hike with a giant ammo can.

I think my favorite caches are ammo cans that involve long hikes, have a terrain rating of at least 3, and a low difficulty rating. I like long hikes, but when I've been hiking all day, I suddenly get tired and lazy and want the cache to basically spring forth from the ground and say "Howdy!!!". :unsure: So, I must be a hiker first and a cacher second.

Right on there. After climbing for 5h, who wants to spend 45 min. searching for a cache. Obviously you are not comming back, so you better make sure to find the cache.

a few months ago I went to a park to do a series of caches, most of which were ammo cans.

by the end of the day, the ammo can under the pile of sticks became a joke.

most you could spot from 30 ft away

Well yeah. It's Ohio. :)

Hey now lets not make fun of Ohio, oh never mind

A few years ago I stirred up some trouble in an area about two hours away. They had a number of basic pile of sticks ammo can hides on some lakeshore trails, and I got in the habit of creating a few extra piles of sticks at each one while my partner signed us into the log books. The local reviewer said he got a few complaints about this behavior. :D:)

a few months ago I went to a park to do a series of caches, most of which were ammo cans.

by the end of the day, the ammo can under the pile of sticks became a joke.

most you could spot from 30 ft away

Well yeah. It's Ohio. :angry:

Hey now lets not make fun of Ohio, oh never mind

Oh just kidding. I hope this isn't Malabar Farm State Park, I was going to stop by there to find some ammo cans next month.

I personally have never really run across these "piles of sticks in the woods visible from 100 feet away", as some like to mention around here, or often mentioned by my local dumpster enclosure using, parking lot cache placing, aficionado. I think this is because I still use an old Garmin 60 Series, which goes wacky under tree cover. It was purchased in 2005, probably manufactured in 2004. So if you don't like lame ammo can hides, go retro on the GPS. ;)

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel