Lame Ammo Can Hides

There are plenty of threads bashing the lame micros.

Let's hear about lame ammo can hides. You know, the ones in parks with just a scant covering of sticks and leaves on top. Got any to share? :rolleyes:

hmmm well, I've seen a few Ammo cans ... 2 in particular that were quite a 'trek' to get to (more than I expected actually) and after hiking up to the GZ, cussin under my breath because the info didn't imply a very realistic 'terrain' level... the Ammo can was very exposed. Yeah.. it was at the root of a tree all right, but after climbing over and under logs, walking narrow paths that dropped off into a fast flowing creek below etc... I was really surprised to see it .. just like that... not even a twig to disguise it. It hadn't been found in a while either so one would think that leaves, falling branches etc.. would at least partially hide it.. so we tried to cover it some.

Another one was a little tricky to locate GZ because of the heavily treed area. When I spotted the cache, it too was VERY obvious. It was a really Large plastic tub and all it had on it were a few peices of small logs and sticks. (Which made it even More Obvious) Although I really like finding the Ammo cans, the Caches I have enjoyed the most have been those that have shown a certain amount of ingenuity and thought into their hide.

Oh gosh, I would have to think about this one. Ammo cans are somewhat valuable, and more so as of late. Lame Tupperware or Lock-n-Lock's, I could think of several. Generally in trash-littered woods, just off a big box store parking lot.

Waiting for someone to ask me, "Did you CITO"? :rolleyes:

Never met an ammo can I didn't like.

Ditto!

Is the OP (aside from trolling for angst) talking about lame locations? If so the container is irrelevant.

I have an ammo can that's been out since 2004, you can see it sitting in a forest clearing from 40' or more away... after you figure out how to navigate the miles of dirt road to get to my lake place. :rolleyes:

Ditto!

Is the OP (aside from trolling for angst) talking about lame locations? If so the container is irrelevant.

Naw, he's just trying to be funny. He's a funny guy. I'll still go with the regulars, a couple hundred feet from parking in trash littered woods. Although I still can't think of one that was an ammo box.

Ditto!

I have an ammo can that's been out since 2004, you can see it sitting in a forest clearing from 40' or more away... after you figure out how to navigate the miles of dirt road to get to my lake place. :)

Actually, it occurred to me that ammo boxes usually do not have any, or much cammo but despite this people always enjoy them. When I found the Big Red Barn of Laughs cache 2 years ago I had only very quickly loaded the coords into the GPS. When I got to the area, I naturally started looking for a micro or a nano. After 20 minutes of searching and trying to be discreet about it, I look over and see an ammo box just sitting there a few feet away. :huh: It should have been the most obvious find, but not since I wasn't expecting it. With over 900 finds in less than 3 years, I don't see any complaints. :rolleyes:

I was just wondering if there really was such a thing as a lame ammo can hide. Most of them are easy to find and usually are considered with high regard. I love the smell of a new ammo can. :D

i agree, never met one i didnt like

Thats what I'm talking about. :P

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

There are plenty of threads bashing the lame micros.

Let's hear about lame ammo can hides. You know, the ones in parks with just a scant covering of sticks and leaves on top. Got any to share? :)

Boy it seems some people find anything to complain about :rolleyes::P

Scubasonic

...Wasn't complaining..just surprised by the Cache site/hide when, as I said it was not indicated in the Level of Difficulty or Terrain. I realized it's 'all Relative' and was just adding my two cents worth

I was just wondering if there really was such a thing as a lame ammo can hide. Most of them are easy to find and usually are considered with high regard. I love the smell of a new ammo can. :anibad:

I guess it depends on what you consider lame. I don't equate "easy to find" with "lame".

I think that if someone shells out 4-10 bucks for an ammo box and another 5-20 bucks to stock it, he is more likely to put a little thought into where he hides it.

Probably because of that I've found few if any "lame" caches hidden in ammo boxes.

What he said. . . I love finding an ammo can no matter where really. That said like most here I've really never found one in a location I didn't enjoy. After you find a few it really doesn't matter whether it's sitting on top of a tree stump uncovered, or tucked in the crotch of a downed tree with a pile of sticks covering it. They are both easy to find once you get there.

It's the journey...

Ammo cans hidden in places where a large metal container might look suspicious, particularly if the military markings are not covered up.

Ammo cans placed where muggles are likely to find them (and take them). While micros in high muggle areas often go missing, those that use hiding place that muggles don't check (e.g. under lamppost skirts) can often remain there for a long time. Ammo cans usually need to rely on being hidden off the beaten path or so far out in the boonies that they are not accidentally found.

Not everyone is going to think the a long hike particularly with off trail travel and other challenges is an ideal location for a geocache. Most of those people however will keep their mouths shut since they realize that other people do like this sort of thing.

Actually, I found one that was lame. Way out east in Montauk State Park, NY. The ammo can had been there since the early days of Geocaching, and with the saltwater in the air, it degraded the can so much so, that it was just rusty bits held together, with a lock & lock on the inside that was soggy and kinda moldy. There is a long story about the cache and the CO who no longer caches and the fight to keep the cache alive. All hearsay, but a good story anyways.

Actually, I found one that was lame. Way out east in Montauk State Park, NY. The ammo can had been there since the early days of Geocaching, and with the saltwater in the air, it degraded the can so much so, that it was just rusty bits held together, with a lock & lock on the inside that was soggy and kinda moldy. There is a long story about the cache and the CO who no longer caches and the fight to keep the cache alive. All hearsay, but a good story anyways.

What are you talking about? [:)] You mean Project Lookout, GC8B84? I was just out there today and the inner container was dry and fine. The outer rusted ammo box with the huge GC sticker on the side was pretty nostalgic and cool. I had a .50 cal to replace it , but it was best as it was, as the larger container would have been too large to conceal it well with the traditional sticks and leaves covering, plus it would be best to have a GC sticker on the side like the older one had. There was nothing lame about it, it was in a great spot! :P

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

How does this one rate?

lamppostmicro.jpg

This is the funniest thing I have seen in awhile. This is intended to be a joke right?

He hasn't been here in a few days to take credit, but I'm pretty sure Ventura Kids (former world record holder :P) is the originator of that picture, and yes it's a joke. Forgive me if it wasn't him.

Hey, after like 3 days, I thought of one. I found a TB hotel ammo can in a horrifically trash littered area along a rural rails to trails, and the ammo can itself was hidden under discarded trash, i.e. a hubcap. No names or locations, of course. :)

Hey, after like 3 days, I thought of one. I found a TB hotel ammo can in a horrifically trash littered area along a rural rails to trails, and the ammo can itself was hidden under discarded trash, i.e. a hubcap. No names or locations, of course. :)

That's clearly an anomoly similar to the Bajoran wormhole.

I don't think that it warrants an investigation from Commander Sisko, as it's existence is possiby specious as it still has not been verified. :P

I went through my found caches and came up with many ammo cans and regular sized caches that lacked a wow factor of some sort. Either because they were in trashy areas, or placed "just because they could" or lacked an entertainment or fun factor. It seems that the percentage of excellent to so-so to lame caches with regulars is about the same as it is with micros. At least in my area. I wouldnt mention it at all, except that this thread is giving the impression that all ammo cans are great no matter what, when I know that isnt true for me. Still, I appreciate even lame caches micro or ammo can.

Actually, I found one that was lame....

Uh... A nice hike, a scenic location, some kewl caching history.. toss in a bit of controversy...?

That's what you call lame? :unsure:

Hmm... Different strokes for different folks, I reckon.

While I wouldn't call such a cache "lame", I guess I should respect your right to define lame in your own terms.

Personally, I would call such a cache awesome! :D

An ammo can, or any regular sized geocache for that matter, does require at least a tiny bit of creativity in placing it, and also stocking it with tradable items. So as a general rule, they are usually not as “lame” as certain micro sized geocaches which only require a used film canister, and a lamp post skirt.

I know I am going to get flak for this, but I believe everyone’s first hide should be a quality full sized geocache, and then you can hide a micro sized geocache afterwards. :unsure:

Additionally, for many people such as myself, an ammo can is more than just a geocache. Finding one usually invokes sentimental feelings, because that is how this activity gained its roots. An ammo can was at one time the flagship container of geocaching. My very first geocache find in 2005 was an ammo can at the top of a bluff overlooking a lake. That ammo can was a significant part of my experience.

On the other hand, I found an amazing micro sized geocache the other day! It was very challenging, and yet rewarding to finally locate it. However, it could never replace the warmth, and nostalgia that the ammo can brings to me. :unsure:

Additionally, for many people such as myself, an ammo can is more than just a geocache. Finding one usually invokes sentimental feelings, because that is how this activity gained its roots. An ammo can was at one time the flagship container of geocaching. My very first geocache find in 2005 was an ammo can at the top of a bluff overlooking a lake. That ammo can was a significant part of my experience.

On the other hand, I found an amazing micro sized geocache the other day! It was very challenging, and yet rewarding to finally locate it. However, it could never replace the warmth, and nostalgia that the ammo can brings to me. :unsure:

I'll second that. My first cache find was an ammo can overlooking a natural hotsprings in the mountains. The second one was a water bottle straped to a pine tree. It has been mostly down hill from there.

I think that even a lame hide is elevated just because it is an ammo can. I had hid one in a parking lot. It would have been kind of lame, but it was an ammo can. People loved it because they were expecting a zip-lock baggy or something. (Then it got muggled, so maybe not the best idea)

I'll second that. My first cache find was an ammo can overlooking a natural hotsprings in the mountains. The second one was a water bottle straped to a pine tree. It has been mostly down hill from there.

I think that even a lame hide is elevated just because it is an ammo can. I had hid one in a parking lot. It would have been kind of lame, but it was an ammo can. People loved it because they were expecting a zip-lock baggy or something. (Then it got muggled, so maybe not the best idea)

:D My first finds were not ammo cans. I feel left out. :D

I am helping to continue a venerable cache from 2001, which has gone missing again, by camo painting an ammo can to hide in the location. Back when I first found it there was a Tupperware, or similar, tub.

I am helping to continue a venerable cache from 2001

I'm doing something similar. The Hagan & Craig Cache was hidden in August, 2001. Several years later, it got muggled, and someone plopped out a film can rather than log a DNF. The film can got muggled, so someone else plopped out another film can, with the owner's blessing. Then that film can disappeared. It was at that point that ownership passed to me. We searched, found the original film can, CITOd it out, then hid a shiny new ammo can about a hundred feet away.

Ammo cans just seem a bit different than finding a lock'n'lock or tupperware of the same volume. They seem just so more interesting. Most of my early finds were .50 cal ammo cans without any cammo but just mostly between logs with sticks and leaves covering them. I suppose there are a few in areas littered with trash, but I havent come across any, or can I picture it.

Actually, it occurred to me that ammo boxes usually do not have any, or much cammo but despite this people always enjoy them. When I found the Big Red Barn of Laughs cache 2 years ago I had only very quickly loaded the coords into the GPS. When I got to the area, I naturally started looking for a micro or a nano. After 20 minutes of searching and trying to be discreet about it, I look over and see an ammo box just sitting there a few feet away. :D It should have been the most obvious find, but not since I wasn't expecting it. With over 900 finds in less than 3 years, I don't see any complaints. :)

I was just wondering if there really was such a thing as a lame ammo can hide. Most of them are easy to find and usually are considered with high regard. I love the smell of a new ammo can. :D

Oh my. The Big Red Barn of Laughs. Slightly OT, but since you are the OP and you brought it up... :D My son and I ran to grab that one during a brief muggle lull, planning to open it out of view in the car. He got his hands on it first, and made it about 18", if that, before the security chain halted everything and yanked him back. The look on his face! :D And probably mine, too! The non-cachers in the car couldn't figure out why we were just sitting there busting up laughing. Big Red Barn of Laughs indeed.

Not a lame ammo can. (There. Almost OT after all.)

On the other hand, I found an amazing micro sized geocache the other day! It was very challenging, and yet rewarding to finally locate it. However, it could never replace the warmth, and nostalgia that the ammo can brings to me. :rolleyes:

There is something about the clunk of the can as you pull it from its hiding place and the sucking sound as you open it that screams "GEOCACHING!!!"

Actually, it occurred to me that ammo boxes usually do not have any, or much cammo but despite this people always enjoy them. When I found the Big Red Barn of Laughs cache 2 years ago I had only very quickly loaded the coords into the GPS. When I got to the area, I naturally started looking for a micro or a nano. After 20 minutes of searching and trying to be discreet about it, I look over and see an ammo box just sitting there a few feet away. :D It should have been the most obvious find, but not since I wasn't expecting it. With over 900 finds in less than 3 years, I don't see any complaints. :lol:

I was just wondering if there really was such a thing as a lame ammo can hide. Most of them are easy to find and usually are considered with high regard. I love the smell of a new ammo can. :wub:

Oh my. The Big Red Barn of Laughs. Slightly OT, but since you are the OP and you brought it up... ;) My son and I ran to grab that one during a brief muggle lull, planning to open it out of view in the car. He got his hands on it first, and made it about 18", if that, before the security chain halted everything and yanked him back. The look on his face! :blink: And probably mine, too! The non-cachers in the car couldn't figure out why we were just sitting there busting up laughing. Big Red Barn of Laughs indeed.

Not a lame ammo can. (There. Almost OT after all.)

That sounds like a funny story. It wasn't attached to a chain when I found it, although I remember thinking that it should be.

On the other hand, I found an amazing micro sized geocache the other day! It was very challenging, and yet rewarding to finally locate it. However, it could never replace the warmth, and nostalgia that the ammo can brings to me. :blink:

There is something about the clunk of the can as you pull it from its hiding place and the sucking sound as you open it that screams "GEOCACHING!!!"

Most of my early finds in georgia in 2001 and 02 were in .50 cal ammo cans. Eventually when I found a smaller one, I remember thinking "what's this"? ;)