Happy new year Who geocached on the First Day

Elementry

We are new to "this thing of ours" but we went and stubbled our way out and about to collect only one cache on the very First day of 2010. the 10th aniversary of the first geo cache is this year. what a crazy idea hide and seek eh. Lets all try and make it a great and safe one. I can't wait to see 1 million active caches.

cheers

We went out for a walk and to test out the new GPS...found where a cache *should* have been but failed to actually find it. :rolleyes:

Had a few more locs loaded but then it started to rain and the kiddo got cranky. Note to self, next time don't go out just before lunch time, in the rain with a 4 1/2 year old who needs a nap.

Oh well, two more days left of the weekend, plenty of time to cache! :P

We went out for a walk and to test out the new GPS...found where a cache *should* have been but failed to actually find it. :rolleyes:

Had a few more locs loaded but then it started to rain and the kiddo got cranky. Note to self, next time don't go out just before lunch time, in the rain with a 4 1/2 year old who needs a nap.

Oh well, two more days left of the weekend, plenty of time to cache! :P

sounds like you learned somthing.lol

I took the puppy out for a little 4km walk. It was a little colder than I would have liked for him so we didn't attempt all of the caches in the area. As it was we managed to find 3 and added two DNFs, most likely due to snow.

Not a bad start to the year.

darn snow i was up to my waist in it but what fun when geocaching not when you have to shovel it.

Edited by Elementry

I would have been out - but the nearest unfound cache is 2 hours drive away from where I live in Northern Ontario

time to start hidding some of your own.

Had one published on the 1st am. Had a dnf for the first visiter. But is was -22 with -32 wc. hjad 2 dnf myself and loved it

Grabbed one yesterday - the weather was too wet to enjoy more. Today's a bit better, and my birthday, so caching is definitely in the forecast!

Happy Birthday,Is it a good time or did you get all the good presents at christmas?.lol happy days

Thanks! We found ten caches (no real challenges), and no present yet (except, of course, the chance to go caching!)

We are new to "this thing of ours" but we went and stubbled our way out and about to collect only one cache on the very First day of 2010. the 10th aniversary of the first geo cache is this year. what a crazy idea hide and seek eh. Lets all try and make it a great and safe one. I can't wait to see 1 million active caches.

cheers

Day .... not so much. Night ... yup went out for 16 caches [:)]

New caches in our area were published about 20 minutes before the new year. Loaded up the gps and made the 20 minute drive to the rail trail. 6 FTF's starting at around 12:15 am and ending at 1:15 am. GC2151W

Had a few hours sleep and then headed an hour away to the 4th Annual Re-Gift O'Rama GC20XKJ at the Kitchener-Waterloo Children Museum, also the location of the GPS Maze till Jan 3 2010.

Then did Urban Solitude cache in a rough forest in the middle of the city for a 2 hour hike through uncut bush in the snow. GC10Q74 This was one of the most memorable cache hunts I have had!

Lots accomplished in 24 hours on New Years day!

Met HikerT at the event also!

Was a great time!

New caches in our area were published about 20 minutes before the new year. Loaded up the gps and made the 20 minute drive to the rail trail. 6 FTF's starting at around 12:15 am and ending at 1:15 am. GC2151W

Had a few hours sleep and then headed an hour away to the 4th Annual Re-Gift O'Rama GC20XKJ at the Kitchener-Waterloo Children Museum, also the location of the GPS Maze till Jan 3 2010.

Then did Urban Solitude cache in a rough forest in the middle of the city for a 2 hour hike through uncut bush in the snow. GC10Q74 This was one of the most memorable cache hunts I have had!

Lots accomplished in 24 hours on New Years day!

Met HikerT at the event also!

Was a great time!

sounds like a great geocaching area...happy new year.

cheers

Day .... not so much. Night ... yup went out for 16 caches [:anibad:]

I am scared of the dark..not really but 16 at night is impressive

sounds like a great geocaching area...happy new year.

The caches are starting to appear in the Brantford Ontario area on a regular basis.

The caches are getting better and better as they come to.

You should plan a trip to the area someday. If you do, let me know and I can show you around a bit!

Happy New Year to you too!

I would have been out - but the nearest unfound cache is 2 hours drive away from where I live in Northern Ontario

time to start hidding some of your own.

HA! He has and more than many of us with a 140 hides!!!

what 140 your inbox is full of logs,how do you check them all?

With all of my caches in Northern Ontario, they tend not to be found very often, but I do check every e-mail that comes in and if problems are identified, I try to deal with them in a timely manner, I have one disabled at the moment because the object it is attached to was moved about 400 meters and is now blocked off with construction. So I give at less monthly updates on its status. The other caches are checked periodically, sometimes by friends and family but most of the time by myself. Any with problems are dealt with as soon as I can. A lot of my caches only receive 2-4 visits or less per year. I still have 3 that have not been found yet (2 of them 2 years old and they are checked about yearly). So it can be done.

By the way I submitted a new cache today for approval.

Well I did find 9 caches on Jan 3/10 and 6 caches on Jan 4/10 in the Thunder Bay area. That's my best for the first week in January

Edited by jleecollins

Nice to see all the enthusiastic responses. I too, am new to the game, but I went out on NYD with my son in law and 2 grandchildren (ages 5 and 2). The 5 year old was pleased as punch when he figured out the code to a puzzle cache we found. We were all so excited we went on to another one a half km away, and found it too! But by then it was dark and time to head for home. So much fun!!

Edited by BusterBev

A lot of my caches only receive 2-4 visits or less per year. I still have 3 that have not been found yet (2 of them 2 years old and they are checked about yearly). So it can be done.

By the way I submitted a new cache today for approval.

Sounds like a New Year's Resolution. Go to Thunder Bay and get a FTF on a 2 year old cache!!!

I'm Game!!! Anyone else from SW Ontario ready??