REI NEW YEARS DAY SALE

I was at REI in Nashville last week looking at GPSr and an associate said to hold off and come back for the big New Year's Day sale. Got up early and drove about an hour and a half from home coords, what a waste of time. I expected as I was told a lot of scratch and dent and returns items. No GPSr at all, and many trays and boxes of JUNK. Let me say there were some good deals and markdowns but many thing were literally broken, damaged, and things I would throw out before even putting in a garage sell. Needless to say they tarnished their image with me.

The 2 units I looked at last week were higher this morning than they were last week. We did grab a few caches nearby and had a good time, so all was not lost. :rolleyes:

Everyone should do their homework instead of depending on places dedicated to the sale of GPS and outdoor gear. Last year I found my GPS from a well-known and reputable discount camera store I had bought camera gear from many times. For 50% the price it was being sold everywhere else (including all used ones on ebay), with free shipping too. Brand new, in box, 12V car-adapter, dash-mount, and City Navigator software included. It wasn't even on sale there.

You might be tempted to find your "GPS cache" in the most likely spot advertised for selling GPS units, but the correct location might be many stores away from there that doesn't usually cater to the the GPS crowd.

btw: I always find better deals and gear at Campmor and Sportsman's Warehouse than I have ever found at REI. I've not set foot in an REI store for ages. REI has turned into nothing but an overpriced yuppie's fashion store, long ago.

Edited by Keo1

Yes, REI is a bit expensive, almost anything I've ever bought there I know I coulda found cheaper somewhere else. But I keep going back because...

- They have a good selection of lots of stuff and it's there when I need it.

- They have a 100% satisfaction guarantee and liberal return policy.

- Anything I order online can be delivered to the local store for free.

- The local store is a 10 minute walk from my office.

- And there's a geocache on the upper level of the local store's parking garage :rolleyes:

Edited by lee_rimar

Well then... Just paint me an overpriced yuppie's fashion store walking commercial. :rolleyes:

Fwiw, when you buy their brand, it's cheaper and every bit as good as any of the other brands. I like the idea of being able to walk into the store and trying on the goods without having to pay for and wait for shipping. I like knowing what I'm buying isn't some cheap knock off that won't last me on the trails. I also like their instant no hassle in store refund without having to pay for and waiting for shipping and accounting to to do their thing.

I remember orderng snowshoes on line and they got stuck in Utah for a week due to (of all things) snow! As a result, I missed a great week of snowshoeing in my area. So if you're willing to put up with the shipping and the hassles associated with it, then bully for you. I prefer to keep my business in the local businesses when and where I can. For me, it's a stress reducer.

I would have bought my GPS from REI except not only was I an early adopter, but had the desire to buy the 8GB version of the PN-40 immediately after it came out and you can only get from DeLorme. I hated the wait.

Yes, REI is a bit expensive, almost anything I've ever bought there I know I coulda found cheaper somewhere else. But I keep going back because...

- They have a good selection of lots of stuff and it's there when I need it.

- They have a 100% satisfaction guarantee and liberal return policy.

- Anything I order online can be delivered to the local store for free.

- The local store is a 10 minute walk from my office.

- And there's a geocache on the upper level of the local store's parking garage :rolleyes:

I don't know about the geocache situation for all my more favorite stores (and that would only hold a one-time interest, if that). But all that you said can be said for Campmor and Sportsman's Warehouse as well as many other suppliers. Just because of your proximity to REI, it doesn't make that true for everyone else.

This does sound like a shill's spam-convention for REI. I'm waiting for Cabela's overpaid reps to show up shilling their overpriced stuff too now.

Edited by Keo1
...This does sound like a shill's spam-convention for REI.
Tadpole, you don't know what you're talking about when you call me a shill.

I don't shill for ANYONE. Quite the opposite, I'm often accused of being overly-critical, even about companies that give me test and review products for free -- and REI isn't one of those. One of my first comment on this thread was that REI rarely has markdowns on GPS equipment. Shortly thereafter I commented that they're pretty much overpriced on everything.

And you call me a shill because I like their nearby store with good customer service to complement their online presence? That's not being a shill, that's talking about my local situation. I am not criticizing your favorites stores (and by the way, nobody's accusing YOU of shilling for THEM) -- I just don't have either of your faves equally close by.

Come back when you've written more than 7 posts and have read a couple thousand of mine - then you'll at least be able to pick the right names to call me.

Edited by lee_rimar

I was at REI in Nashville last week looking at GPSr and an associate said to hold off and come back for the big New Year's Day sale. Got up early and drove about an hour and a half from home coords, what a waste of time. I expected as I was told a lot of scratch and dent and returns items. No GPSr at all, and many trays and boxes of JUNK. Let me say there were some good deals and markdowns but many thing were literally broken, damaged, and things I would throw out before even putting in a garage sell. Needless to say they tarnished their image with me.

The 2 units I looked at last week were higher this morning than they were last week. We did grab a few caches nearby and had a good time, so all was not lost. :rolleyes:

Here is another vote for REI. Their 100% satisfaction no hassel guaranttee is second to none, and customer service is outstanding. If you take into account that members (which only cost $20 for a lifetime)get a 10% rebate on everything they buy it makes shopping REI even more reasonable. I'm with Totem Lake, I want to touch and see the merchandise before I buy it. However, it's "to each his own". That's why there are many different retailers and ways to buy merchandise.

OldA'sFan

This does sound like a shill's spam-convention for REI. I'm waiting for Cabela's overpaid reps to show up shilling their overpriced stuff too now.

So that makes you a shill for Campmor and Sportsmans Warehouse right? Afterall, you are speaking accolades for them. I tried to point out to each their own flavor of choice. I'm not overpaid (and the gods know I want to be) and I'm not a rep. I'm a satisfied customer.

All of this dedication and affection for these corporate giants makes me nauseous. Reminds me a little of NASCAR. :rolleyes:

Yah it's pretty sickening when a happy customer talks about their good experiences instead of the bad ones.

Wait a minute! That's the Ying and Yang of reviews! Hold the puke! You might get your shoes messy!

Edited by TotemLake
:rolleyes: I worked for a company that had a conference room by that name.
Really? I've been waiting months for a chance to use that pun. What company?

Digital Equipment Corp. I worked at DECwest in Bellevue, WA. Projects were named after minerals and consequently the conference rooms were similarly named. That particular conference room used to be the General Manager's office and had a high rotation of GM's and was associated with being a jinx to anyone's career. So we ended up making it a conference room with that particular name.

Edited by TotemLake

btw: I always find better deals and gear at Campmor and Sportsman's Warehouse than I have ever found at REI. I've not set foot in an REI store for ages. REI has turned into nothing but an overpriced yuppie's fashion store, long ago.

Who knew you could get your bicycle fixed or rent a kayak at a "yuppie fashion store"? We used to have a local Eddie Bauer store, and that's exactly what they turned into. But REI? I don't think so. Maybe you should set foot in one sometime.

I'm waiting for Cabela's overpaid reps to show up shilling their overpriced stuff too now.

I just bought 2 fishing pole cases from them, at half the price available anywhere else. I love their "overpriced" stuff. :anibad:

BTW, the length of the case wasn't listed on their website, so I called their service number. Got an actual human (and not a someone at a call center half way around the world) on the line in under 30 seconds, and they sent someone into the warehouse to check the length. I had my answer in a few minutes. This is the first time I've ordered from them, but that's the kind of service that gets repeat customers.

Edited by Prime Suspect

All of this dedication and affection for these corporate giants makes me nauseous.

And your beloved and cherished handheld GPSr receives signals from a satellite made by whcih non-coporate giant?

Which GPS satellite was placed in orbit with launch vehilce made by which small company?

Do you understand that this hobby, this forum and your posts would not be here if it were not for the

much maligned corporate giants?