FTF! my soapbox

TURN180

Recently, I heard a story somewhat like one I heard 3weeks ago and a couple times a month or so before that, Basicly the Cacher didn't share their FTF with the group of lookers at GZ and people where upset. Are we expected to share ftf with everyone who shows up? Sorry, if I find it, it’s my FTF! Especially if there are a half dozen cacher’s or more looking in a 40ft circle? Get over it! How do others feel about this? Of course I know there are exceptions.

Edited by TURN180

It's a pretty interesting question.

If I am caching with a buddy, we would share the FTF.

If I'm on the scene of a FTF hunt and show up about when everyone else does and find it first I would share the FTF. If I'm within 30 feet of others and find a cache first, I would offer to share FTF.

If I'm further than 30 feet and find it, sign it and put it back before anyone notices, i might just be a stinker and not let anyone know I found it till someone else finds it, and then still share the FTF.

If I show up and any of the circumstaces above apply but Do Not find the cache myself, I will leave it up to the discretion of whoever does actually find the cache. It's their find.

I would only be miffed if I were with a caching buddy at the time and he/she were to deny me a share, or if the finder blocked other searchers from the area of GZ and then denied them the share.

Personally, it doesn't really matter who is FTF on a mob search. The attitude of those caching, though, is really important.

and that's how everyone else does it.

Not how it's done here. Seems like a very broad statement, ya think?

Well, for the 25+ FTF's Ive been on the "scene" for, everyone present has put their name on claimed the FTF except under two circumstances which were somewhat special and the other party refused to claim them for various reasons.

But really, I don't care in the end. If someone wants to argue about "claiming" the FTF, fine, life is too short to argue about a pointless stat anyways. Lucky for me most people realize that a group effort searching is all help towards the find.

What Allanon said. We have a group of cachers here in Kitsap County that really enjoy going after the FTF. I say more power to them. If I happen to be at the site and someone drives up. I let them go ahead and find the cache, sometimes there is already a name in the log.

Dick

It's a pretty interesting question.

If I am caching with a buddy, we would share the FTF.

If I'm on the scene of a FTF hunt and show up about when everyone else does and find it first I would share the FTF. If I'm within 30 feet of others and find a cache first, I would offer to share FTF.

If I'm further than 30 feet and find it, sign it and put it back before anyone notices, i might just be a stinker and not let anyone know I found it till someone else finds it, and then still share the FTF.

If I show up and any of the circumstaces above apply but Do Not find the cache myself, I will leave it up to the discretion of whoever does actually find the cache. It's their find.

I would only be miffed if I were with a caching buddy at the time and he/she were to deny me a share, or if the finder blocked other searchers from the area of GZ and then denied them the share.

Personally, it doesn't really matter who is FTF on a mob search. The attitude of those caching, though, is really important.

I'd have to all-out agree with Bittsen here.

Recently, I heard a story somewhat like one I heard 3weeks ago and a couple times a month or so before that, Basicly the Cacher didn't share their FTF with the group of lookers at GZ and people where upset. Are we expected to share ftf with everyone who shows up? Sorry, if I find it, it’s my FTF! Especially if there are a half dozen cacher’s or more looking in a 40ft circle? Get over it! How do others feel about this? Of course I know there are exceptions.

I'm fast approaching my 500th FTF and I have been caching for less then 2 years sometimes I share them and sometimes I don't just depends how I feel at that moment but as far as I'm concerned, who finds it is the FTFer and it is totally their call most of the time we don't share. Thought I would add ......yes always share a FTF with a buddy I'm caching with in fact I think I even shared one with Bittsen one time but if I show up and there are other people there or show up while I am looking and I make the find totally my call.

Scubasonic

Edited by Scubasonic

I'm fast approaching my 500th FTF and I have been caching for less then 2 years sometimes I share them and sometimes I don't just depends how I feel at that moment but as far as I'm concerned, who finds it is the FTFer and it is totally their call most of the time we don't share. Thought I would add ......yes always share a FTF with a buddy I'm caching with in fact I think I even shared one with Bittsen one time but if I show up and there are other people there or show up while I am looking and I make the find totally my call.

Scubasonic

interesting topic

I've had someone claim FTF on a cache I was FTF on and they weren't even in the neighborhood yet when I found it first!

I claimed a FTF on a cache once and someone else logged in later that they had found it first a few hours earlier. I had signed a blank log booklet....or so I thought. I went back and sure enough there was the other cachers signature.... :rolleyes: and mine wasn't there. :ph34r:

I had signed in on the last page thinking it was the front. :P

really, doesn't matter. If with a group I sometimes (in my log) give credit to the one who made the actual find but claim a co find. Other times I give them all the glory in my log.

Ie: "I looked all around it but xyz made the find."

And I do the same if I make the find with someone else at ground zero.

Sometimes I'll give all credit but other times like if I was out with my brother in law I might rub his nose in it and claim that I stole first to find from him while he was looking 4 feeet away. :rolleyes:

So it doesn't really matter in my book.

I've always been told that everyone searching gets the FTF, that's how I've always done it and that's how everyone else does it. Once the cache is found, anyone else who shows up is too late.

No, that's not how everyone does it, even up here.

There's only one FTF. The second person to sign is STF.

I agree with Dick and Allanon. Someone else can go Beta-test a cache. I chased FTF's for a bit, but got real tired of that pretty quick.

I think that it is interesting about how some people treat FTF. I think that it is a great idea if you get to find something that brand new, no geo-trails going to it, and it is hidden just as the original hider wanted it to be. However, I don't think that it really is needed to 'share' first to find with people in the area... heck what did they really FIND, they found YOU with the cache in your hands.. not the acutal cache.

I also think that it is funny how some people will get FTF on dozens of caches, many of them just moments after they are posted. I don't even think I see them for at least 30 mins or so, and that is if I am actually watching my email.

If FTF is really that big of a deal to someone that they are going to get mad over it, then they need to find a new hobby, maybe Fishing, you can be the first to catch a fish.. Or do you need to share that fish with all the boats around you?? ;)

If FTF is really that big of a deal to someone that they are going to get mad over it, then they need to find a new hobby, maybe Fishing, you can be the first to catch a fish.. Or do you need to share that fish with all the boats around you?? :lol:

Wait a minute how do you know you would be the First to cactch that fish???? after all maybe the fish you caught was caught the day before and let go..... :):lol::lol:

Scubasonic

FTF never was my style. In the early days, there were not that many caches or cachers. However, there is a group of very active FTFers here in Kitsap County that are really having a blast going after them. More power to them. As far as not really finding the cache yourself if there are others passing around the cache, you could say the same for Cache Machines. I am too old to keep up, but have no problem with them enjoying the events. Dick

If FTF is really that big of a deal to someone that they are going to get mad over it, then they need to find a new hobby, maybe Fishing, you can be the first to catch a fish.. Or do you need to share that fish with all the boats around you?? :lol:

Wait a minute how do you know you would be the First to cactch that fish???? after all maybe the fish you caught was caught the day before and let go..... :):lol::lol:

Scubasonic

The only thing you'll know for sure in fishing is when you keep it, you're the last to catch it.

FTF never was my style. In the early days, there were not that many caches or cachers. However, there is a group of very active FTFers here in Kitsap County that are really having a blast going after them. More power to them. As far as not really finding the cache yourself if there are others passing around the cache, you could say the same for Cache Machines. I am too old to keep up, but have no problem with them enjoying the events. Dick

Dick,

Can totally respect that.....one down side of the FTF hunt is you are the one that finds out firsthand if the cache has problems, just hit my 700 FTF in a little less thn 2 years of caching, and I have seen it all......published with no cache at GZ... coordinates obscenely off just got one last night that was 65+ ft off, well you name it it has happened to me.

Scubasonic

Dick,

Can totally respect that.....one down side of the FTF hunt is you are the one that finds out firsthand if the cache has problems, just hit my 700 FTF in a little less thn 2 years of caching, and I have seen it all......published with no cache at GZ... coordinates obscenely off just got one last night that was 65+ ft off, well you name it it has happened to me.

Scubasonic

Only 65 feet? I did one once at 11pm that was 150 feet off - that was an interesting FTF in a maze of mountain bike trails.

I've always been told that everyone searching gets the FTF, that's how I've always done it and that's how everyone else does it.

That's not how "EVERYONE ELSE" does it, maybe in your circle

SS

I guess I just don't sweat the FTF numbers enough to worry if the people I'm with get to add to their count or not. If we're all looking, so what, co-ftf it. I obviously see now that other people do it differently, just the only way I've ever seen it done. Glad I cache where I cache I guess...

I was wondering when it was that I was first to find a cache. I think it was Sept. 6 2001 hid by Ajetpilot. Bruce hid it on Sept 5, 2001. I remember it very well. Bruce had his dog along and evidently there was no high tide and I could see all the dog tracks in the sand near where he hid the cache. The name of the cache which is still active is

Sunrise Beach Cache. Since I never heard of FTF I never declared one. On August 30, 2001 I hid Bataan Park in Bremerton and Bruce found it on Sept 6 2001. The Shavers were the FTF on it on 9-1-2001. They also never heard of FTF, but Ray the present owner has given them credit for the FTF.

Edited by W7WT

Or you could do like one of my friends did at one of my caches.

There was a group of people looking for the cache..

My friend found it first, secretly signed it, and then excused himself.

Whilst everyone else was thrashing about.

When I was really new to caching, I was out with my sister looking for a FTF. You were already there. Didn't know the etiquette and that we should have shared it with you. I'm really sorry about that.

I guess you're fine with it or else you would never have given me your "phone-a-friend" number. Thanks ;)

A good one for this thread... happened sometime last summer. I was going out after the FTF on a newly published cache. Pretty good hike into the sticks along the Columbia river. At any rate, I was first on scene by a LONGSHOT. During the entire trek into the woods, I never saw another soul. I set about searching and had things pretty well zeroed after about 15 minutes or so -not including the half hour hike to GZ. Finally, I heard footsteps and looked up to see a husband-and-wife team approaching. We chatted a bit. Usual stuff. Had I been here long, had I found it yet, etc.

As individuals, we each soon zeroed the same spot but they were just a bit closer/quicker/more willing to trash both their clothing/whatever than I was and they came up with the find. I don't recall if they offered a co-FTF (I don't think they did), but it was cool with me. Had I 'found' it? No way. I'd been searching the opposite end of the log and had just taken a step or two on my way to the other end. I was within ~20' but I didn't 'find' squat.

My rule of thumb is that if I'm part of a group ('group' being ANYTHING more than just myself), co-FTF is entirely acceptable if the other party(ies) involved were within an arm's reach and were clearly/actively searching in the direction of GZ, and then only if the one who physically made the find offers it up.

Scubasonic

interesting topic

I got to agree with Scubasonic you find it yours just like the kindergarten saying "Finders keepers losers weepers" unless your cacheing with a buddy then i could see using the Co FTF

A caching buddy and I set a cache up on the day of an event for another cacher who had reached 10000 finds. It so happened to be published in just a couple of hours and when this event was over a group from the event formed a mini flash mob and went after the cache, they were all given a FTF by me, now if the whole group took credit for a FTF that is totally up to them. just my .02 cents worth.

The only find I have that I can even vaguely call a co-FTF is on a cache placed in Discovery Park specifically so that those participating in the CITO event could be first to find it. We were done spreading gravel and all walked to the cache. The CO was with us, as were a couple of Groundspeak folks, plus 40 or 50 cachers. As we walked, one of the lackeys published the cache using his smartphone, so that it activated just as we arrived. Everyone signed, and we were all offered a very watered-down co-FTF.

I think it's totally up to the actual finder whether to share the FTF. If I ever end up at an FTF party trying to find a new cache, I plan to cooperate with others, rather than compete with them. I'll look over here, you look over there, that guy can check there. When the search is done that way, sharing the eventual find seems most appropriate.