Any tips n tricks for a Newbie

minew

Hey guys! I'm new to Geocaching! Can't wait to get started! :rolleyes: I just ordered a Garmin eTrex Legend HCx. I should receive it next week! I have never done this before and I can't wait to get into it! I am from Ontario and it just snowed a bit here, so I have a feeling that might make things a bit difficult but I was just wondering if any of you can offer some tips and tricks with Geocaching for a beginner!?

Thanks a bunch!

Cheers,

K

Look for caches that have the winter-friendly attribute if you're caching with snow on the ground.

You can learn a lot about the cache by reading previous logs: often there is lots of info about cache condition, winter suitability, location, container etc.

When searching for a cache, do not fixate on the little icon on your screen: some coordinates are not that good, and often you will experience signal bounce (i.e., when under a thick tree canopy or when surrounded by tall buildings). Once you're in the general vicinity of the cache, look around and search for likely places to hide the thing. Sometimes the cache will be 50 or more feet away from where your GPS unit says it is. (The most extreme for me was about 400 feet - right under the skyscrapers of Toronto. In a case like this, you're better off zooming into the Google map satellite view for pinpointing the location. :-))

Start with difficulty 1 caches (and preferably not micro). Use the Additional Hints as well as hints that can be found in user's logs if you are stumped (of course, this means you should either carry the printout of the cache page with you, or load cache details on some electronic device like iPhone, Blackberry etc.)

But the best thing I can recommend is to just go ahead and start looking for some caches. In no time you'll be on here giving helpful advice to new cachers yourself. :-) Have fun!

Two things I'd recommend:

1. When your GPS says you're within seven-ten feet of the cache, put the GPS away and use your eyes. A sk ypourself "Where would I place a cache here?", and start looking.

2. If your GPS is "bouncing", i,e., giving you a lot of different readings, put it down and wait two minutes. Let it rest, and then pick it up and try again. You should have a better reading on distance. This really helps when under heavy tree cover.

I'm new-ish, having found 70. Two pointers stand out to me. First one has already been stated:...when you get within a few feet, put the GPS away and look around. Also, there is some crazy clever camo out there. I used to look at something and think in my mind "I wonder if...." but wouldn't check. After getting burned by that a few times, I take NOTHING for granted. If you look and something comes to your mind, check it out. Put your hand on it, feel around, pick it up....investigate.

GET OUT WHILE THE GETTING IS GOOD!!! :rolleyes:

I'll be starting my 6th year in May, so don't take that advice seriously.

As others have said, start simple. Large caches are easier to find than small or micros, obviously. Start with them. Low difficulty ratings (don't worry about the territory rating unless you want to, or unless its a 5, which is a whole 'nuther story).

Look for the unnatural, or what doesn't belong. Keep in mind that hiders often need to be able to find their cache again, maybe years later, so they will *most likely* will not just be out in the middle of nowhere, but instead, somewhere that will help the hider remember where he/she hid it.

If you can, try to attend a geocaching event or two. Not only are they fun, but they are a great place to make connections... maybe it will be a new caching buddy, or just hear some stories.

important: remember that you will not find everything.

if you could find everything you looked for, there wouldn't be very much sport to it.

make it more about the search than about the find and you'll do just fine.

i remember the fantastic moment of our first find, bitter cold and after no small amount of time sunk in. nothing special about the place or the container, but it was one of the most awesome moments of my life.

good luck to you.

I agree ! We just got one for Christmas for my son, (haha) and i have gone out three times already w/no success! But I am learning! Any help would be much appreciated!!

When you get your new GPS learn how to use it. Once you know how to use your GPS, get out and have fun! It's easier than you think, the hurdle is learning how to use your GPS if you've never used one.

I just started last week, and all the I think all the tips give are good.

1. Invest the time to learn your GPS. I had a handheld quite a few years ago, but never really learned how to use it. I invested the time on this one to get decent with it. I'm sure there are lots of things it will do that I haven't figured out yet, but at least I'm pretty comfortable with it.

2. Have patience! I'm not known for my patience, but my wife is, thankfully. We searched for and found 10 caches yesterday. One, was a direct result of her "never say die" attitude. On this particular cache, the coordinates were off by quite a bit. And while the tip was helpful, it wasn't entirely accurate. I had already thrown my hands in the air, but my wife kept on looking and finally found it.

3. Use your hands. On one cache yesterday that was listed as a nano, I had looked right at the cache probably 3 times, and it never dawned on me that something that small could be it. I got in my car to leave, but couldn't stand not finding it, and got back out for one last look. It looked curious enough for me to take my knife out of my pocket and poke at it....and it moved! It was VERY small, but magnetic. It just looked like part of the design! Poke and prod it not sure.... On another, I had to lay down and slide on my back up under a bridge to find it. Remember, they're hidden so as not to be seen by others, so some will be kinda' tough. That's what makes it rewarding.

4. Try to be as stealthy as possible so as not to give it away to non-cachers who might destroy it or take it.

5. Have fun....I am!

Good luck!

Edited by lightsandknives

If I can piggyback as another new cacher. I've been wondering what goes into the "perfect" caching kit.

Do you have a cashing pack? What's in it? How do you choose your caching treasures (besides cleaning out the kids' toybox, or the bottom of the golf bag - ha!). Do you have a grab-n-go bag? Backpack? Satchel? Brown paper bag? I have been using a wool felted bag, but am discovering it picks up alot of debris as I set it down (and the kids drag it over to pick out swappables)

What's in *your* caching kit?

I have only one question. How can I mark a cach as founded on my profile?

I did not find anything on the homepage.

all the best to every cacher from germany :anibad:

Click on the link to the specific cache you found and then look in the upper-right corner. There are several icons including one that looks like a text bubble with a plus sign called "log your visit". Click that and you will be brought to the cache's log-page. Happy Geocaching! :P

I'm a new cacher also. I spent 2 days playing with my new GPSr before I went out. Then I logged on and discovered there were 2 caches hidden on a local hiking trail I was familiar with. I found both (With the help of ZORRO and Bess) within 2 hours. At one point I had to put my GPS down, and let it rest.

I carry a small backpack with; First Aid kit, multi tool, long tweezers, camera, pens, paper, my caching journal, and snacks. Bessie the Wonder Dawg carries her own backpack with her water and snacks, ZORRO packs the 3 liter camel.

Newbie, here, hi! There's a cache near my grocery store which I haven't found yet, have looked three or four times. Today I saw someone looking at ground zero; I pretended to be a muggle and just sat nearby watching to see where and how the guy looked for it. I don't think he found it, I went across the street and took a great photo of him looking, lifting up the bushes to look underneath. Too bad I can't upload it to the log page, I'll have to keep the pix for my private collection to inspire me to look again.

In my area there are still some virtual caches around so I racked up about ten of those, easily. Those exercises got me out walking, which IMO is what it is all about, and learning how geocaching works.

I've found some micros, magnetic ones, regular size and one gigantic one. I just go out looking for anything nearby expecting not to find them all but enjoy the outing. There's also an Earthcache nearby which I'm sure I can do without frustration.

Two things I'd recommend:

1. When your GPS says you're within seven-ten feet of the cache, put the GPS away and use your eyes. A sk ypourself "Where would I place a cache here?", and start looking.

I would suggest expanding that distance from 7-10 feet to 50, even 100' as you're approaching the area. Learn how to estimate distances. When your GPS is telling you that the cache is 100' away, look for something about 100' away in the direction your GPS is telling you to go that stands out. Whether it's an odd looking tree or a section of guard rail, it's very likely that the CO probably spotted a potential hiding place from a distance greater than 10', and hid the cache there. If you try to follow your GPS to within 10' you're already within an area where the accuracy of your and the CO's GPS may differ. You might find yourself standing in an open area with an obvious looking hiding spot 30' away. If you noticed that from 100' away you'll save a lot of time finding caches.

Welcome! Get out before it's too late! Oh, hang on, you're here, it's already too late!!

People have already said "you will not find everything". What would be great is if you could log the attempts on the cache page where you "did not Find", also known as DNF.

It helps the cache owner know that, at least, there are still people looking for it.

Many people will have differing opinions on how long/good an attempt you made before calling it a DNF. Personally, if I've got to ground zero (GZ) or thereabouts ad have managed to look then I will log a DNF. If I get near and (for example) there's people sitting on the most likely spot or the area is absolutely packed with non-players (muggles) then I either won't bother logging at all or will post a note saying something like "did not Attempt" and explain the reasons why.

#1 tip/trick.... have fun!! remember this is a game :anibad:

Hey guys! I'm new to Geocaching! Can't wait to get started! :anibad: I just ordered a Garmin eTrex Legend HCx. I should receive it next week! I have never done this before and I can't wait to get into it! I am from Ontario and it just snowed a bit here, so I have a feeling that might make things a bit difficult but I was just wondering if any of you can offer some tips and tricks with Geocaching for a beginner!?

Thanks a bunch!

Cheers,

K

If I can piggyback as another new cacher. I've been wondering what goes into the "perfect" caching kit.

Do you have a cashing pack? What's in it? How do you choose your caching treasures (besides cleaning out the kids' toybox, or the bottom of the golf bag - ha!). Do you have a grab-n-go bag? Backpack? Satchel? Brown paper bag? I have been using a wool felted bag, but am discovering it picks up alot of debris as I set it down (and the kids drag it over to pick out swappables)

yes most people have a caching kit

I have a military shoulder bag might have been a medical kit

It contains gpsr, bug spray, extra batteries, CITO kit, trade items, extra pen, personal coin, notebook,

mirror, multi tool,telescoping magnet, maps, geocaching info paper for muggles, bottle of water, camera, maybe a few more little thing I cant remember

I am fairly new myself. Member for 2 months and 30 finds. But I have learned through trial and error. I started out with just a tote with trade items. I soon switched to a backpack realizing it was alot more comfortable (esp. on the longer trails) and could carry more. So now I carry with me in my backpack at all times (it sits as a grab-n-go bag):

- trade items

- camera

- 2 sets of extra batteries for gpsr

- handkerchief (for hot/sweaty times)

- knife (you never know)

- multi-tool

- toilet paper (hey, you when you gotta go, you gotta go:) )

- first aid kit

- pens and a notebook

- my geodog's harness and leash

- CITO bags (for my trash as well as trash I find)

And we throw in snacks and drinks if we will be gone out in the woods most of the day.

I usually choose my "swappables"/trade items/swag by either going to yard sales and local stores. I even buy things that my geodog Molly can put in a cache as a trade item. She recently placed her first trade item in a cache out in the woods, she wanted me to place a pet travel water bowl for other geodogs that might be out caching with their owners as well. She has a couple of dog harness's, doggy toys and brushes in with my trade items in the backpack.

Hope this will help you out. It really depends on your needs and who will be going with you as to what you will need in your bag and some of the trade items as well.

From one semi-noob to another...Good luck and have lots of fun! :unsure:

Edited by mud4x4

I carry a small fannypack. In it I keep spare batteries, a compass, pencil, paper, pen, plastic baggies, pencil sharpener, whistle, small flashlight, small retractable mirror and small trade items. If I am going on long hikes in the woods I should have something to start a fire and first aid kit just in case. The paper and baggie is for those logs that are wet. I sign the paper and leave it inside baggie, then put it in the cache. This buys the cache owner time to replace log and allows other cachers to sign log. One time I found a cache that got soaked and froze solid. If not for my supplies I would not have been able to sign log. :P

When you do start looking for micros, know all the different types and what they look like. (e.g. nanos, rock caches)

or, if you prefer it, don't know what they all look like. seeing each kind of container for the first time gave me a thrill.

seeing one i've never seen before still does.

Hey guys! I'm new to Geocaching! Can't wait to get started! :P I just ordered a Garmin eTrex Legend HCx. I should receive it next week! I have never done this before and I can't wait to get into it! I am from Ontario and it just snowed a bit here, so I have a feeling that might make things a bit difficult but I was just wondering if any of you can offer some tips and tricks with Geocaching for a beginner!?

Thanks a bunch!

Cheers,

K

We have that same GPSr. Took us a little while to really understand it but with only 25 finds under our belt we can say that we really love it. Look for the larger size and easy rated caches first. Watch geocaching footage on youtube to help develope your "geosense"... that alone has helped me a TON. Have fun!