Friend cannot log into Forums.

Zop

Hello.

My friend Cheryl-MuggleN0More is having a problem logging into the forums. In fact she tells me that she has never been able to log in.

She has verified her registration and has tried multiple times from several computers but the forums will not recognize either her username or password. while trying to diagnose the issue, we changer her password and logged back into the geocaching.com website with no problems. Then clicked on the link to the forums and attempted to login again using the new password only to be told that the username or password is incorrect.

Using Windows 7 now but this has also been tried using Vista and XP. IE versions, 6, 7 and 8.

I suspect that the issue is due to "-" in her username.

Can this be resolved without changing the username?

I've seen dashes in other usernames in these forums so I don't think that's the problem. Did she use the "Forums" link on the GC website to enter the forums after changing the password? That's the critical step that transfers the new password (and other info) from the website to the forums. Are there any special characters in the password? I think the forum software might not like those so try removing them if there are any. Also, unlike the website, forum passwords are case sensitive so she'll need to have the caps lock on or off depending on how it was when the password was changed.

Edited by Yossarian

I've seen dashes in other usernames in these forums so I don't think that's the problem. Did she use the "Forums" link on the GC website to enter the forums after changing the password? That's the critical step that transfers the new password (and other info) from the website to the forums. Are there any special characters in the password? I think the forum software might not like those so try removing them if there are any. Also, unlike the website, forum passwords are case sensitive so she'll need to have the caps lock on or off depending on how it was when the password was changed.

Thanks Yossarian,

Yes, we tried that but will try again later today. No special characters in the password. That was the first thing we checked as that was what happened to me once.

It isn't the dash in the username, as you can see with mine. Also, try deleting cookies and then logging back in and trying to enter the forums.

Yea.. we tried that too. from several computers as described in the original post.

Make sure the first time you friend comes into the forums is from the link on the Geocaching.com site and not directly entering the url. I believe the first time in it does some behind the scenes registering with the forum software.

This is the only method she has tried.

I also have a friend that can not log into the forums.

He has been a premium member since 2004 and his password has worked fine, except this site will not accept it.

In short, his password gets him on Geocaching dot com to put in his logs, but will not allow him to become a user of the forums. I have tried to get him in and it just keeps saying the password or user name must be wrong.

I had a problem once and found I was using a special character in my password because my email had been hacked and I changed them all. This site would not do that, so made a different change and it's working.

I checked all that and he still cannot get in. New ideas???

RiffRaff2

I also have a friend that can not log into the forums.

He has been a premium member since 2004 and his password has worked fine, except this site will not accept it.

In short, his password gets him on Geocaching dot com to put in his logs, but will not allow him to become a user of the forums. I have tried to get him in and it just keeps saying the password or user name must be wrong.

I had a problem once and found I was using a special character in my password because my email had been hacked and I changed them all. This site would not do that, so made a different change and it's working.

I checked all that and he still cannot get in. New ideas???

RiffRaff2

Same here...

My password was never hacked though, I just like to use a semi strong password. It's a bummer that the forums do not accept strong passwords but geocaching.com does. Seems like a programming slip.

Cheryl-MuggleN0More still cannot log into the forums regardless of username, case or password combination she tries from any computer using any browser, the results are the same.

I had the same problem until I figured out what the deal was. In every web-based application I've developed and in almost every one I've used, the username is always case insensitive. For the Groundspeak forums, it appears to be case sensitive. So, I cannot log in using 'hirogens' but must enter it exactly the way I did when I created my account and that was 'Hirogens'. The capital H made the difference for me.

HTH

I had the same problem until I figured out what the deal was. In every web-based application I've developed and in almost every one I've used, the username is always case insensitive. For the Groundspeak forums, it appears to be case sensitive. So, I cannot log in using 'hirogens' but must enter it exactly the way I did when I created my account and that was 'Hirogens'. The capital H made the difference for me.

HTH

Hmmm.....I just tested that and was able to log in using both upper and lower case Ys in my username. *shrug*

HTH

Hmmm.....I just tested that and was able to log in using both upper and lower case Ys in my username. *shrug*

Yes, me too, there is no requirement that I am aware of, that user names be upper case to login here. As a matter of fact when I just now logged in as team cotati, the system returned: You are now logged is as Team Cotati. Cool.