Spouse hates geocaching

Opalblade

I started Geocaching and then got my kids involved. We love all aspects of it. I took my husband a few times and ususally he just sits in the geomobile and waits for us to return. One time I did manage to get him out of the car and he found it before I did. That got him a bit more interested than before.

He still doesn't care for the sport but I think he may be coming around. We were at Goodwill just before Christmas and he saw an ammo box and got all excited...for me.

It's a start.

I might try the puzzle angle :D He might be into that :D His hobbies all revolve around being indoors - reading and indoor gaming - computer, console, board, dice, etc. I share the same interests so it's not like we don't do anything fun together. But I'd love for him to share my favorite new hobby with me :)

It does work out in the sense that he doesn't mind staying home with anywhere from 1 to 4 children so I can run out and geocache :D

Since he is into reading, gaming, etc, see if getting his input for building a Puzzle Cache might spark some interest, for instance there is a cache in our area that (by the description) is based on an old console game. I'm sure that his reading & gaming has given him TONS of insight for making that special clue or theme that might just bump that puzzle up to a Difficulty 5!

I might try the puzzle angle :D He might be into that :) His hobbies all revolve around being indoors - reading and indoor gaming - computer, console, board, dice, etc. I share the same interests so it's not like we don't do anything fun together. But I'd love for him to share my favorite new hobby with me :D

It does work out in the sense that he doesn't mind staying home with anywhere from 1 to 4 children so I can run out and geocache :D

Explain to him that the GPSr is his mini-map and the cache is location of the level boss. If he finds the cache, you'll give him a Smooch +1, +2 vs Washing Dishes and 200 XP. If he doesn't find it, make him roll a save vs Sleep on the Couch (with bonus for high CHA). If he finds five caches tell him that he'll "level up*" the next time he rests at the inn.

Maybe ask him for gaming-centric ideas for a new travel bug. Maybe you both release a new bug and see who gets the most mileage.

*Wink, wink, nod, nod :D .

The wife approves, because it's a good activity for the daughter and I, but she has very little interest in it. I don't understand, since she kinda likes the outdoors. I think it's the hiking part that keeps her away. We do a lot of wooded area/trail finds or that's what we've done so far.

My wife does not care for the hunt but loves the trinkets, so she will only go with me to caches that I have found and know to contain interesting swag. If she can get out of the car and walk 200' or less straight to a well-stocked cache she's a happy camper.

I can't believe the little things she finds real happiness in... "Ohh, I want that, put something in!".

I keep an eye out when I am caching for trade items that she might like and she's like I brought her a present when I bring something home. I recently traded for a little stuffed green pelican and she was happier than if it had been jewelry!

The hardest part is when she finds a trackable that she likes and I have to convince her that she can't keep it!

We have a cache on our front porch that is both a swag trade cache and TB Hotel that she keeps stocked and checks weekly... she's visibly disappointed when no one has left anything interesting.

But to actually go geocaching? Emphatically not! :rolleyes:

Some of us are happily married.

Mike likes caching as much as I do. He doesnt do the online part of it, but he enjoys the hunt.

Hmmm... last time I talk to Mike, I was getting a different story.

(as I step back to watch the fireworks)

Tsk. Trying to cause trouble in a marriage.

Fortunately I know Mike better than that lol.

Muggle Hubby (as I refer to him in logs) really thinks that caching is one of the biggest wastes of time (and gas, and wearing out the car) that is in existence. Both of my adult sons feel the same way. All three of them are Eagle Scouts, you'd think that they'd be more interested in an outdoor hobby.

Having said that, he has cached with me a little bit. He was actually with me on my first find, which was with the GPSr I had bought him. He later regifted it to me with my blessing when I discovered how much I enjoyed caching. When we are touring on our motorcycle, he will stop for a cache if it is easy and quick and right off the road, like in a rest area. I can only push my luck so far here. My sons will occasionally go out with me for a few caches, like if there's one that is too high for me to reach. And MH made me a really great cache container out of a log, and has even repaired it a few times since I've put it out.

Like a previous poster, I think that spouses can and should develop interests that are separate from each other, as long as they have some shared interests as well. Sure, I wish that the family was more interested in caching. But I don't let that stop me from getting out there on my own.

I have a requirement that my next spouse will support (at least happily tolerate) my geocaching. Participation is nice but not required.

The alarm will sound off at 5:00 am on a weekend, sometimes earlier. Sometimes I will meander home around midnight. I spend hours and hours behind the computer publishing caches. If any of this is an issue, it needs to be addressed early in the relationship.

See? Now there's your mistake....

"next spouse"

:rolleyes:

The next ex................ :D:):D

Some of us are happily married.

Mike likes caching as much as I do. He doesnt do the online part of it, but he enjoys the hunt.

are you saying that those of us who have a spouse that doesn't like geocaching aren't happily married?

Not at all. I was referring to this post (seen below), in which the member made a bit of a dig at marriage in general. I probably should have quoted his post in my original post to avoid any confusion.

i wish i had a spouse! lol

No, no you don't!!!

Don't wish for such nonsense!!

NOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

My kiddos - The Stackable Jr Cachers - used to be into caching as much as I am. We went on many hunts, a few out of town runs, and cached our way to Texas Motor Speedway for a race. But their interest in it has waned, and about the only GC related activity we do (together) anymore are the monthly meet-n-greet-n-eats. So I do my caching during my weekdays off, and my visitation weekends are spent on other interests, all the while keeping an eye out for new caches (they do still like the thrill of a FTF). Hopefully spring will bring a renewed interest...

No spouse to ... ahem.... complain about it!! :blink:

My wife is pretty certain that geocaching is stupid and that we're all idiots.

Substitute husband and you've got it! What's the point if you can't make money doing it, he says. The worst part is that he is actually very good at it: great sense of direction, doesn't even need the compass, can find almost anything! But he won't go if it is too hot, too cold, too buggy or there's any chance of seeing a snake. So I mostly cache alone or with my grown daughter.

Muggle Hubby (as I refer to him in logs) really thinks that caching is one of the biggest wastes of time (and gas, and wearing out the car) that is in existence. Both of my adult sons feel the same way. All three of them are Eagle Scouts, you'd think that they'd be more interested in an outdoor hobby.

Having said that, he has cached with me a little bit. He was actually with me on my first find, which was with the GPSr I had bought him. He later regifted it to me with my blessing when I discovered how much I enjoyed caching. When we are touring on our motorcycle, he will stop for a cache if it is easy and quick and right off the road, like in a rest area. I can only push my luck so far here. My sons will occasionally go out with me for a few caches, like if there's one that is too high for me to reach. And MH made me a really great cache container out of a log, and has even repaired it a few times since I've put it out.

Like a previous poster, I think that spouses can and should develop interests that are separate from each other, as long as they have some shared interests as well. Sure, I wish that the family was more interested in caching. But I don't let that stop me from getting out there on my own.

"muggle hubby" I love that term... What should I call my wife who is not so into it? 'muggle wifey'? 'mugglette'?

NM... I shouldn't push my luck... I should just be thankful she puts up with my crap.

Bruce.

You guys are so lucky! My wife loves geocaching... I pick up the GPSr and there she is, in the car before I can get my boots on :) We get on the trail and the next thing I know, she hands me the dogs' leashes, and takes the GPSr :huh: And what really sets me off is the inevitable "I found it" from her once we get to the cache coordinates :D Oh, and try to just go out to a quiet dinner... no, she meets me at the back door with the Garmin in her hand, asking if I have any caches loaded for the area around the restaurant :anicute:

I've tried trekking her through critter infested swamps. Long trails in freezing weather. Dark, spider infested holes............... I'm at a loss. HOW do you guys break your spouses from trying to take over your geocaching? HELP!

You guys are so lucky! My wife loves geocaching... I pick up the GPSr and there she is, in the car before I can get my boots on :) We get on the trail and the next thing I know, she hands me the dogs' leashes, and takes the GPSr :huh: And what really sets me off is the inevitable "I found it" from her once we get to the cache coordinates :D Oh, and try to just go out to a quiet dinner... no, she meets me at the back door with the Garmin in her hand, asking if I have any caches loaded for the area around the restaurant :anicute:

I've tried trekking her through critter infested swamps. Long trails in freezing weather. Dark, spider infested holes............... I'm at a loss. HOW do you guys break your spouses from trying to take over your geocaching? HELP!

Wife swap? Mine cooks well... looks pretty and earns more in a month than I do in a year...

You guys are so lucky! My wife loves geocaching... I pick up the GPSr and there she is, in the car before I can get my boots on :) We get on the trail and the next thing I know, she hands me the dogs' leashes, and takes the GPSr :anicute: And what really sets me off is the inevitable "I found it" from her once we get to the cache coordinates :D Oh, and try to just go out to a quiet dinner... no, she meets me at the back door with the Garmin in her hand, asking if I have any caches loaded for the area around the restaurant :blink:

Wife swap? Mine cooks well... looks pretty and earns more in a month than I do in a year...

Not a chance! My wife wanted a laptop for Christmas, so that she didn't have to keep bothering me to use OURS. And for her birthday, yesterday, a waffle maker - boy, they were good this morning :huh:

Edited by BillyP55

This made me laugh out loud. I think the same thing about my "Muggle Hubby" I'd trade his butt for a years worth of gas to go Geocaching. (not really, I do like him more than gas)......but maybe for a new GPS'r????

Look at my username and see if you can guess which way I am coming from. I have 2 caches found, my wife has 2 caches found, of the other 150 we have found them together. Her birthday was yesterday and we went caching with her brand new GPS that I got her as a present.

I heard about geocaching last year and thought it would be a good thing to do with the kids, THEN I figured that my wife would like it more than my kids would. My son is autisitic so he does not enjoy the looking around part and my teenage daughter is horrified to think what would happen if someone saw her looking for a cache. :lol: My wife likes solving puzzles and we like to watch the Amazing Race. Sometimes it feels like we are on that show. We find that it is about the only chance we have to spend time together, and since we seem to like each other, I guess you can say it all works out.

I can understand someone not being into geocaching, but I what kind of person tries to keep his/her spouse from doing an activity that brings them joy? In any healthy relationship, there are things you do together, and things you do apart. Geocaching can be one or the other. As long as your spouse isn't neglecting his/her family responsibilities, there's no reason to be such a kill-joy.