Spouse hates geocaching

Opalblade

I am soooooooooo sad. Hubby is not fond of being outside (lots of allergies and his family is very sedentary) and he thinks finding "junk" (meaning mctoys) in the woods is no fun at all. I'm lucky in that I have friends to go caching with, and my kiddos, but really wish my hubby would suddenly one day announce he wanted to go caching with me sniff. He's gone out with me (being dragged) maybe five times or so, and with him we've found everything from a micro in my first lamp skirt, to ammo cans we've had to jump over a creek or climb a steep hill to get so he's seen a good variety. He's always happy to go for a walk in the neighborhood but wants nothing to do with park trails or geocaches.

Anyone have a spouse who suddenly reformed and started to like geocaching after having experienced it and disliking it a LOT :)

My ex spouse would likely have loved geocaching but this comment is regarding to spouses in general.

When spouse complains because you go geocaching, reach a compromise. Tell spouse that you won't make them geocache with you if they don't make you sit and listen to them complain about caching.

Geocaching is OBVIOUSLY much more important than saving some silly marriage.

:)

I am soooooooooo sad. Hubby is not fond of being outside (lots of allergies and his family is very sedentary) and he thinks finding "junk" (meaning mctoys) in the woods is no fun at all. I'm lucky in that I have friends to go caching with, and my kiddos, but really wish my hubby would suddenly one day announce he wanted to go caching with me sniff. He's gone out with me (being dragged) maybe five times or so, and with him we've found everything from a micro in my first lamp skirt, to ammo cans we've had to jump over a creek or climb a steep hill to get so he's seen a good variety. He's always happy to go for a walk in the neighborhood but wants nothing to do with park trails or geocaches.

Anyone have a spouse who suddenly reformed and started to like geocaching after having experienced it and disliking it a LOT :)

Mrs. Urkel has considered Geocaching to be stupid for over 6 years now. Despite this, she's probably been along for about 50 caches, and waited in the car for about 10 others.

But seeing as I've been taking my now 15 yr. old daughter and 10 year old boy out since 2004, and they like it, she's OK with it. Despite being as obnoxious as I am, I surprisingly have several local Geo-pals, and I cache with them, as well as caching alone whenever I find the time to sneak it in.

"Suddenly reformed"? Like what, opening an account, stealing my GPS and finding caches on her own? Never going to happen in a million years. But she deals with it, and it's all good, I suppose.

When spouse complains because you go geocaching, reach a compromise. Tell spouse that you won't make them geocache with you if they don't make you sit and listen to them complain about caching.

If my wife complains about geocaching only when I make her go geocaching with me, life would be a lot simpler.

I started Geocaching on 12-24-2008. My wife went on a few geocache hunts with me, but she really thought it was a useless activity. I tried all the angles:

1)It's a way to get away from the TV

2)You can get some exercise

3)A great way to experience places you would have never gone to if it were not for geocaching

4)It's free and better than hanging out at the bars

Finally, about four months ago, she warmed up to it when I gave her a GPS for navigating. I had already given up on taking her on Geocache hunts. I loaded some geocaches on her Nuvi and she began to look for geocaches on her own when she was driving home from work. She complained that my Oregon was easier to go geocaching with. So, I took this opportunity to buy her a Garmin Dakota 10 Bike and Hike Bundle (On sale for $202 with tax and shipping). She now has about 160 finds! We even took a trip to Laughlin, NV last week to geocache in Nevada and Arizona in order to mark those states on our stats map! We are even contemplating on taking a short vacation to Europe to geocache! My only advice is to not force it upon them. Let them discover how much fun it can be by themselves.

BTW, we even have stickers with both of our geocaching handles on them! Wow, I wouldn't have never imagined that this past summer.!

Well I think it was at about my 500th find, or was it that Cruise to the Mediterranean and we landed on the "Island of Rhodes" where I made her hike 11 miles around the Island to get 8 caches. Or could it be the 490 FTFs that I have gotten since July 16, 2008 well either way I just enjoy the activity, and share my experiences with my Geocaching friends.

What Bittsen said !!!!!!

ScubaSonic

I started Geocaching on 12-24-2008. My wife went on a few geocache hunts with me, but she really thought it was a useless activity. I tried all the angles:

3)A great way to experience places you would have never gone to if it were not for geocaching

Finally, about four months ago, she warmed up to it when I gave her a GPS for navigating. I had already given up on taking her on Geocache hunts. I loaded some geocaches on her Nuvi and she began to look for geocaches on her own when she was driving home from work. She complained that my Oregon was easier to go geocaching with. So, I took this opportunity to buy her a Garmin Dakota 10 Bike and Hike Bundle (On sale for $202 with tax and shipping). She now has about 160 finds! We even took a trip to Laughlin, NV last week to geocache in Nevada and Arizona in order to mark those states on our stats map! We are even contemplating on taking a short vacation to Europe to geocache! My only advice is to not force it upon them. Let them discover how much fun it can be by themselves.

BTW, we even have stickers with both of our geocaching handles on them! Wow, I wouldn't have never imagined that this past summer.!

Geocaching was my husband's excuse for getting a GPS back in 2001. He quickly decided the hiking and hunting for tupperware thing wasn't for him so he stopped. I bought myself a GPSr for my birthday and have been independent since - just me and my dog. Turns out I like that. He does grumble though mostly because he's worried for me. We pretty much have a 'don't ask, don't tell' policy now. So my caching is somewhat limited. What makes me pine for a keen spouse, is when we are on vacation - if I'm lucky I can persuade him to do maybe 1 or 2 caches.

Miracles do happen. I am still hoping she will get into caching. Last year on vacation I put on many miles alone to go to caches.

Maybe by next summer, the spark will happen.

My spouse had an interest at first, along with my 2 girls, but after 20 or so caches and not liking the PITS factor and not liking walking in the timber, their interest dropped off; though my wife has asked if we could go geocaching on a rare occasion ( I think she was just bored and wanted to get out of the house ).

I do demand that they go with me on my DeLorme and state county runs. I think that the rewards on those trips out way the caching and I don't want them to miss out. The wife and kids have visited 2 state on those trips and have seen 80% of our state so far. Something they may have never experienced.

My wife's idea of a "camping trip" is a suite at the Marriott Hotel! :)

I did an urban cache (decon container) with her to show her what it was like, and after just five minutes, she said she was "tired of looking". I convinced her to continue, and she found the cache within a couple of minutes. She opened it up, looked through it, and then looked at me with a blank expression and said "Is that it?". It was then that I realized that while I'm out looking for a cache, she'll be at the mall spending our cash. :)

Geocaching was my husband's excuse for getting a GPS back in 2001. He quickly decided the hiking and hunting for tupperware thing wasn't for him so he stopped. I bought myself a GPSr for my birthday and have been independent since - just me and my dog. Turns out I like that. He does grumble though mostly because he's worried for me. We pretty much have a 'don't ask, don't tell' policy now. So my caching is somewhat limited. What makes me pine for a keen spouse, is when we are on vacation - if I'm lucky I can persuade him to do maybe 1 or 2 caches.

Lone R,

I looked on your profile and see that you do not have any hides maybe you might have him do some hides, he may find that he likes that more then finding caches. I have several friends that really just like to hide caches.

Scubasonic

Edited by Scubasonic

I looked on your profile and see that you do not have any hides maybe you might have him do some hides, he may find that he likes that more then finding caches. I have several friends that really just like to hide caches.

Scubasonic

Nice thought but it didn't work for me. She looked at the container that I made and gave me that 'smile' that said 'very nice go play with your toys'.

Lone R,

Scubasonic

We have a team account - started back in 2001. Unfortunately he's no longer interested in that aspect either. We currently have about 10 hides - I do all the hiding and maintaining. But that's OK because I really enjoy hiding and taking care of "our" caches. Gives me an excuse to get out and cache while I'm out on a maintenance run.

Edited by Lone R

I'm pretty lucky because Mrs. DanOCan enjoys caching, for the most part. In our local area she has been called the most active non-cacher around. ("Non-cacher" only because this isn't really a team account and she doesn't have her own.)

She doesn't like hikes that are too long -- I don't know the upper limit yet, but I know 16km round-trip is too much.

She doesn't like hikes that involve too much elevation gain.

She doesn't like caching in high-visibility urban locations.

She doesn't like doing a lot of caches in a day.

So, as long as I can find a flat walk in a nice park or wilderness area and limit myself to the number of places I want to see in a day we're good to go!

usually (from a guy point of view) if you give us a project that we get to tinker with, something like coming up with camo for a hide, usually we will go to work on it. this could be a way to get him into caching. either take him with to a spot you want to hide a cache or take pictures of it and in that sweet voice (all females have and use it, dont deny it :) ) "honey i got this really cool spot i want to hide a cache but i just cant come up with the right camo for it would you help me with it pweeeeese?" also works if you got a daughter to do it (maybe more so, just replace honey with daddy). he may not be out there looking for them with you (yet) but if you get him to do some good camo's he might get more interested in the harder caches just to get more ideas for hide camo.. just a thought though, as a single cacher i feel lucky not to have this problem (yet unlucky in many other areas).

usually (from a guy point of view) if you give us a project that we get to tinker with, something like coming up with camo for a hide, usually we will go to work on it. this could be a way to get him into caching. either take him with to a spot you want to hide a cache or take pictures of it and in that sweet voice (all females have and use it, dont deny it :rolleyes: ) "honey i got this really cool spot i want to hide a cache but i just cant come up with the right camo for it would you help me with it pweeeeese?" also works if you got a daughter to do it (maybe more so, just replace honey with daddy). he may not be out there looking for them with you (yet) but if you get him to do some good camo's he might get more interested in the harder caches just to get more ideas for hide camo.. just a thought though, as a single cacher i feel lucky not to have this problem (yet unlucky in many other areas).

Unfortunately Im the tinkerer and in the house :). No daughters but did get him and eldest son (who hates geocaching) out to cache with us bc mini ninja #2 really wanted to go with me but not without his big brother (who wanted to game with daddy at home). Mini ninja #2 is very dramatic and cries easily - big sad tears that roll down his cheeks :P

my wife doesn't like geocaching, but she loves being outside and walking, hiking, biking so if we're out doing that and i want to geocache around the area she doesn't mind. if it's a multi where you have to figure something out to make the find, she kinda likes those. anyway i don't want my wife sharing my interest in everything i do, and vice versa. we don't have to be together every minute of every day. i like mountain biking, she doesn't and i'm glad of it.

I'm glad that my boyfriend generally tags along, and sometimes even gets excited about the hunt. Especially when he has a "run", and just keeps finding one after another, as I end up wandering in circles looking in completely wrong places. :rolleyes: He also likes virtual caches that teach you something interesting about the place. Most of the time he thinks the caching itself is kind of stupid, but he enjoys the hikes and bike rides that come with it, so usually we have fun when we go caching together.

However, if he didn't enjoy it, I'd just go on my own (and often I do, anyway - I found most caches solo). You can't share every hobby with your spouse. That would get tiresome! You need a break from him sometimes! :P

We started caching in 2003.

At first, my wife had no interest in caching at all. I knew I had to find a way to gear caching around her interests. I knew she liked puzzles so I asked for help on some of the puzzle caches. She solved a few that I couldn't solve and then she quickly gained interest.

Then after she had solved the puzzles she naturally had to find out if she had solved it correctly for the correct coords and we had to go looking for the cache. Now we always cache together whether it be for puzzle caches or not, but she loves to be the one to solve the puzzle and I enjoy letting her work on solving those types of caches.

We still find more puzzle caches than the average cacher because my wife is constantly in front of the computer solving new puzzle caches. She keeps an on-going notebook of solved puzzles (for the coords) and sometimes we spend an entire day just driving around looking for the finals to her puzzles.

This way we both have a good time.

What is your spouse interested in? Is there any way to incorporate that into geocaching?

Edited by GrnXnham

At first, my wife had no interest in caching at all. I knew I had to find a way to gear caching around her interests. I knew she liked puzzles so I asked for help on some of the puzzle caches. She solved a few that I couldn't solve and then she quickly gained interest.

Then after she had solved the puzzles she naturally had to find out if she had solved it correctly for the correct coords and we had to go looking for the cache. Now we always cache together whether it be for puzzle caches or not, but she loves to be the one to solve the puzzle and I enjoy letting her work on solving those types of caches.

We still find more puzzle caches than the average cacher because my wife is constantly in front of the computer solving new puzzle caches. She keeps an on-going notebook of solved puzzles (for the coords) and sometimes we spend an entire day just driving around looking for the finals to her puzzles.

What is your spouse interested in? Is there any way to incorporate that into geocaching?

I might try the puzzle angle :rolleyes: He might be into that :P His hobbies all revolve around being indoors - reading and indoor gaming - computer, console, board, dice, etc. I share the same interests so it's not like we don't do anything fun together. But I'd love for him to share my favorite new hobby with me :)

It does work out in the sense that he doesn't mind staying home with anywhere from 1 to 4 children so I can run out and geocache :huh:

I might try the puzzle angle :P He might be into that :) His hobbies all revolve around being indoors - reading and indoor gaming - computer, console, board, dice, etc. I share the same interests so it's not like we don't do anything fun together. But I'd love for him to share my favorite new hobby with me :huh:

It does work out in the sense that he doesn't mind staying home with anywhere from 1 to 4 children so I can run out and geocache :D

Just make sure and tell him how many children you will be coming home with!

:rolleyes:

Anyone have a spouse who suddenly reformed and started to like geocaching after having experienced it and disliking it a LOT :rolleyes:

Sadly, I'm in the exact same boat, except my wife hates geocaching. Generally hates bugs and soforth. Thankfully, she at least recognizes my love of it, and lets me go off and cache usually whenever. If we're together, she'll stay in the car.

On the downside though, I have exactly ZERO friends who like geocaching, thus meaning I always geocache alone. Which isn't bad, since I generally like the solitude... but having geocached in a group maybe... 3 times ever, I can't really form an opinion as to if I like group caching or not.

I've gone to many geocaching events and know the people there by now, but unfortunately none of them have found their way into my 'group o' close friends I hang out with".

My girlfriend of more than 5 years loves it as much as I do, and in fact we're VERY competitive, each of us having over 1000 finds. I'd say caching has brought us together, as any free time is automatically a caching run. We plan vacations together for the specific purpose of geocaching (leaving for New Orleans Monday). A bit over a month ago she challenged me to find a cache every day, rain, snow, or shine, and we're still going strong. Having a geo-partner makes caching SO much more fun. We are not the only geo-couple I know, either. I don't think either of us would be as into it if we weren't caching together.

My GF wanted nothing to do with geocaching, she thought it sounded "geeky" and "lame." But she does enjoy spending time outdoors -- we met on a running trail.

So one day I took her on a hike. We have a nearby nature preserve with a scenic loop trail that follows a river, and there are three caches along the trail. When we got near the first one, I told her I wanted to check out the cache. She rolled her eyes but followed me off trail, and watched me find the ammo box. As I was writing in the logbook she started looking through the trade items. One of them was a travel bug, and I explained to her what the coded dogtag was for.

We continued our hike, and when we got near the second cache she went with me. I spotted it pretty quickly, but didn't say anything and waited for her to find it. The ammo can was stuffed to overflowing with some unique and interesting trade items. I told her since she found it, she had to write the log. The logbook was a 6 by 9 inch spiral notebook and many of the finders had written full pages, and she found them interesting enough to read a bunch of them out loud to me.

The third cache she found before I spotted it.

In the car on the way home she said, "I had no idea I was such a geek!"

So I'm one very lucky guy. She still has very little interest in "going caching," and refuses to lift a lamp post skirt or hunt for an urban micro. But she likes hiking, and feels like caching is just one more enhancement to the hiking experience, like photography.

When geocaching used to be an obsessive compulsion for me, my wife hated it. I prefer 10 mile hikes that last all day, my wife and kids don't. To be a good husband, I make our trips family friendly, and I don't get anymore grief. :) I don't find nearly as many "remote caches" but, I have more family peace.

My ex spouse would likely have loved geocaching but this comment is regarding to spouses in general.

Geocaching is OBVIOUSLY much more important than saving some silly marriage.

:)

Spouse advice from someone with an ex spouse.. bwah ha ha ha.. ok, I's just having fun. My spouse let's me get away with it and only complains when I try to sneak caching in with the rest of the family. My wife thinks the great outdoors is sitting in the back yard, never leaving the porch.

My husband hates the urban caches, so he doesn't mind too much if I go and take my step-daughter for the majority of the day running around town. He does like the hiking though, so I usually try to plan for some hikes we haven't been on (which have some caches along the way) and he's ok with those, so that's our compromise.

Last night he saved me an empty container that he through was a perfect size for hiding a cache (which it is, i cant wait!) and he doesn't roll his eyes too much when I go on and on about caching :anibad:

I had a girlfriend once that LOVED caching. She'd attend event caches with me, she'd go caching by herself if I couldn't go, she got up over 100 finds, and she and I both spent many nights doing some night-caching together. It was great.

And then she found the forums. :anibad:

Soon after that she was so offended by some of the things said to her she lost all interest in the game and hasn't gone caching since. Yes, I agree, she is WAY too thin skinned. But that's the way it went.

This was also right about the time she moved from "girlfriend" to "spouse". During the next 4 years she never really wanted to do any caching with me because of her forum experience, which at first was upsetting but eventually became fine with me since she moved into "soon-to-be-ex-spouse" status (because of non-caching reasons).

And now that she's an "ex-spouse" she doesn't have to be bothered by caching ever again (and vice versa).

I have a requirement that my next spouse will support (at least happily tolerate) my geocaching. Participation is nice but not required.

The alarm will sound off at 5:00 am on a weekend, sometimes earlier. Sometimes I will meander home around midnight. I spend hours and hours behind the computer publishing caches. If any of this is an issue, it needs to be addressed early in the relationship.

My wife merely tolerated it at first, as I had really only taken the time to show her the park and grabs. Once I took her on some hiking finds, the light bulb went on and she started to enjoy it. Once she realized she could start her own account, and hunt during her off time at work and actually be competitive with me about it, the floodgates opened.

I have a requirement that my next spouse will support (at least happily tolerate) my geocaching. Participation is nice but not required.

The alarm will sound off at 5:00 am on a weekend, sometimes earlier. Sometimes I will meander home around midnight. I spend hours and hours behind the computer publishing caches. If any of this is an issue, it needs to be addressed early in the relationship.

See? Now there's your mistake....

"next spouse"

:anibad:

Should I have used "next significant other"?

See? Now you are thinking.

Significant Others are like haircuts.

Sometimes you let your hair grow too long cuz you don't really want the hassle of going and getting your hair cut but after the haircut you are thinking "wow, this haircut is great!".

Sometimes your friends look at your new haircut and ask what medications you were taking when you decided to get your hair cut like that. Other times your friends tell you what a great haircut you have and want one just like it. And SOMETIMES people will like your haircut so much that they want YOUR haircut.

But after a while the hair grows out and all of a sudden you realize you don't like the haircut anymore and it's time to get a new haircut.

It's all logical...

Edited by bittsen