Original swag contents

Opalblade

I'm mostly interested in what types of interesting things people have left as exciting swag for the first few finders to snag :) Maybe themed, or generally of interest to adults or kids? Have any of you found anything in a new cache that you were excited about or tickled by?

You never know which contents might still be there though. I just snagged an item that was listed (and shown on a laminated photograph in the cache) as one of the original contents and the cache has been there for a while. How could such a cute Spiderwoman have survived that long without anyone wanting her??? It does seem odd when the stuff is all gone though and still listed in the cache description.

I've always wondered why COs list what the cache started out with for swag. After a few months the swag will have all be traded out. I don't pick caches by what swag they have/had.

Edited by Opalblade

I like setting up caches with a theme of some sort. It helps me focus my thoughts and stretches my imagination. The original contents of the cache, therefore, follows the theme. That is part of the fun for me. For instance, I had a beaver themed letterbox cache that started out with a carved beaver, a set of hillbilly teeth, some wind-up chattering teeth, carpenter tools, some foam stamps and a few other things that I can't recall. For me, all those items related to the cache in some way. I don't list the original contents on my cache page and, except for one cache, I haven't requested that a swag theme should be kept by future cachers. It's primarily for my own amusement, but I hope that the first finders get a little kick out of the items.

I, personally, don't care much for the practice of listing the original contents on the cache's page. It isn't interesting reading nor is it important information. If I were one of the first finders, I think that it would actually lessen my enjoyment of finding the cache. I've never had that experience, though. By the time I've found a cache whose original contents is listed on its page, all that stuff is long gone. The primary reason that I can think of to make such a list is for the benefit of the owner so that they can remember all those great "gems" they left. However, the list is usually something unremarkable like:

three erasers,

a yo-yo,

a red glow stick,

a green bracelet,

some stickers,

the logbook,

a pencil

The only time that I have found the original contents list at all interesting is on one of flask's caches that tracks the evolution of the swag in the cache. Interestingly, that swag hasn't seemed to degrade in the same way that the swag in most caches tend to.

I love finding themed caches with the themed items still inside :rolleyes: I have my own personal collection of treasure that I keep with my favorite things. One interesting one I found (STF) was based around a Frankenstein movie and was filled with squishy body parts and a Frankenstein mask (which we scored, very cartoony look so great for the boys).

I LOVE the idea behind flask's cache. I may have to steal that and place one like it here. Very interesting :P

I like setting up caches with a theme of some sort. It helps me focus my thoughts and stretches my imagination. The original contents of the cache, therefore, follows the theme. That is part of the fun for me. For instance, I had a beaver themed letterbox cache that started out with a carved beaver, a set of hillbilly teeth, some wind-up chattering teeth, carpenter tools, some foam stamps and a few other things that I can't recall. For me, all those items related to the cache in some way. I don't list the original contents on my cache page and, except for one cache, I haven't requested that a swag theme should be kept by future cachers. It's primarily for my own amusement, but I hope that the first finders get a little kick out of the items.

I, personally, don't care much for the practice of listing the original contents on the cache's page. It isn't interesting reading nor is it important information. If I were one of the first finders, I think that it would actually lessen my enjoyment of finding the cache. I've never had that experience, though. By the time I've found a cache whose original contents is listed on its page, all that stuff is long gone. The primary reason that I can think of to make such a list is for the benefit of the owner so that they can remember all those great "gems" they left. However, the list is usually something unremarkable like:

three erasers,

a yo-yo,

a red glow stick,

a green bracelet,

some stickers,

the logbook,

a pencil

The only time that I have found the original contents list at all interesting is on one of flask's caches that tracks the evolution of the swag in the cache. Interestingly, that swag hasn't seemed to degrade in the same way that the swag in most caches tend to.

Was curious what kinds of interesting things people have found or left in new caches, and if they were announced on the cache page

My first cache was a 35MM film canister micro. Rather than pack it with lots of log sheets, I filled that little tube with as much of a variety of Swag as I could fit in it. And I listed the contents, which became important information.

While I was putting that cache together in my living room, the three jasper stone beads popped out onto the floor, so I put them back inside, and placed the cache in a park. One DNF mentioned finding “3 stone beads” on the ground (which encouraged them to try again later). Upon finding the cache, they returned the beads, now securely strung on a wire, to that cache. Those 3 beads are in there to this day.

Edited by kunarion

I've been very miserly with my caches so far - nothing overly exciting for the first few finders. Was curious what kinds of interesting things people have found or left in new caches, and if they were announced on the cache page :anibad:

I just put $5 in, they can buy their own swag.

really not into swag, if i see something i like however i'll drop money in and take it[even trade there]

I've always wondered why COs list what the cache started out with for swag. After a few months the swag will have all be traded out. I don't pick caches by what swag they have/had.

Our reviewer suggested that if COs wanted to include original cache contents that they put that information in as a note in the logs. Makes sense.

I've been very miserly with my caches so far - nothing overly exciting for the first few finders. Was curious what kinds of interesting things people have found or left in new caches, and if they were announced on the cache page :D

I always include one of these in my NEW caches:

53161596-3f52-4573-b86b-3286b8207566.jpg

When I find a cache I always leave my 2 cents:

That's one of these:

a7d06b96-6ea8-41b4-81a0-6ad02a515c49.jpg

and one of these:

840f47bd-f595-4214-b367-8fc1800f155b.jpg

And on the rare occasion that I'm FTF, I leave one of these:

b37217ae-cd63-4472-ac9b-4739c973a950.jpg

I suspect that is done out of tradition.

The only time that I can recall leaving a FTF "prize" (other than the brand-new log) was a coupon for a free carwash. The cache was hidden in the springtime, down a very muddy dirt road.

When I cache outta town, I like to leave a Houston Geocaching Society coin:

fdc2cc37-b497-4200-9a42-8deef7f97c8e.jpg

When I cache outta state, I like to leave these:

bcfb6191-02ca-4f63-a9fe-112f8a8d76fc.jpg

When I find an ODS cache I always leave a few of these:

4d60b803-8e66-473f-996b-8f2468706d84.jpg

When I find an unmaintained cache or I get crappy service, I leave one of these:

6e2757e5-788c-42d1-817c-d114ca53ed76.jpg

I was just reading some of the original "GPS Stash" documents on the Internet Archive servers, and in the basic stash instructions, Mike Teague states:

Optionally, depending on how hard you want it to be for the hunters, include:

• Nearest city or landmark.
  • Any special instructions.
  • A name for the stash, if you wish.
  • Any photos, if you have them.
  • Container description.
  • Contents of the stash.
  • Anything else you want potential hunters to know.

We had a cache, now archived for unfortunate reasons, that was part of our birding series. This one was to encourage kids to take an interest in birds, and I placed good quality children's binoculars (not a toy, but the Audubon one) in the cache for the first child to help find the cache. Fortunately, the first finders and other adults respected that request and it was eventually found by a 6 year old and his parents.

I also enjoy putting in cool swag if the cache has a theme.

I have a history-related cache that discusses the local history of the area. I put in several items that went along with the theme such as magnets from the local museum, a leather pouch, arrowheads, etc.

Another cache of mine is a puzzle cache with a fairy tale theme. FTF prize was a nice puzzle book.

And most recently, as in last night, I hid another puzzle cache, GC21VCQ, with a puzzle a la Will Shortz's word puzzles that we listen to on National Public Radio. The prize was a brand new copy of a Will Shortz book, which a couple drove 40 miles to snag.

41kHFkaOhxL._SL160_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-dp,TopRight,12,-18_SH30_OU01_AA115_.jpg

I've been very miserly with my caches so far - nothing overly exciting for the first few finders. Was curious what kinds of interesting things people have found or left in new caches, and if they were announced on the cache page :P

I usually purchase items at a 100 yen store (dollar store) that are interesting for children to find. I do this because I usually take enjoyment from the hunt and logging the find while my kids enjoy the swag to be found.

In one of my caches which was pirate-themed, I purchased a bag of fake gold coins and my children donated several plastic jewels that they no longer needed. We placed these in the bottom of the container. I also purchased a Pirates of the Carribean toy telescope, toy rings and bracelets. Then to top it off, since it was a puzzle cache, I placed some puzzles I found at the 100 yen store in the cache. The cache is GC20MBK.

In my most recent series, I went with Star Wars themed swag since the series was based on Star Wars trivia.

Edited by larzanth

Gift cards - usually a $5 card to a local fast food eatery, are our favorite items to put in for the first to find. On some of our longer, multistage caches, I've put in new, unactivated geocoins. One cache that had a theme of high school theatre had a new "High School Musical" DVD for the FTF. (It was so kind of the actual FTF'r, a single lady with no children, to leave that prize in the cache where it was found and taken by a family with a child who was a big fan of that movie.) On a cache along a trail in a forest, we put in a tree identifier book for the FTF prize.

I don't list the prizes or swag in our caches; since, as noted above, the list becomes outdated quickly.

I've been very miserly with my caches so far - nothing overly exciting for the first few finders. Was curious what kinds of interesting things people have found or left in new caches, and if they were announced on the cache page :P

That's one of these:

and one of these:

where do you get these?! i like!

I've been very miserly with my caches so far - nothing overly exciting for the first few finders. Was curious what kinds of interesting things people have found or left in new caches, and if they were announced on the cache page :D

That's one of these:

and one of these:

I bought a penny press aka penny smasher. B)

I designed the dies. 12 of them + 2 backside dies. (I had some help with a couple of them.) There's lots of pics in my profile gallery. :)

I give them away and use them to trade for sig items, pathtags, and geocoins as well as cache swag. B)

If I ever get off my lazy arse, I have a web domain to sell them (ex-PRESSyourself.com) and design custum dies, but in 3 years I've never gotten around to it or bought the graphics program to do the design work. Maybe some day soon, but I also want a new engraver or to learn that skill myself. My old engraver is a pain to deal with. Honestly though, it's very hard for me to take money from geocachers and I absolutely HATE doing the shipping for mail orders. :P

I recently described all the expense I went through to get set up as the funnest, stupidest thang I ever did. About 8k worth. :lol:

Edited by Snoogans

That's one of these:

and one of these:

I bought a penny press aka penny smasher. B)

I designed the dies. 12 of them + 2 backside dies. (I had some help with a couple of them.) There's lots of pics in my profile gallery. :)

I give them away and use them to trade for sig items, pathtags, and geocoins as well as cache swag. B)

If I ever get off my lazy arse, I have a web domain to sell them (ex-PRESSyourself.com) and design custum dies, but in 3 years I've never gotten around to it or bought the graphics program to do the design work. Maybe some day soon, but I also want a new engraver or to learn that skill myself. My old engraver is a pain to deal with. Honestly though, it's very hard for me to take money from geocachers and I absolutely HATE doing the shipping for mail orders. :P

I recently described all the expense I went through to get set up as the funnest, stupidest thang I ever did. About 8k worth. :lol:

I guess these are highly collectible. ever consider putting any on travel bugs and sending them out?

I was just reading some of the original "GPS Stash" documents on the Internet Archive servers, and in the basic stash instructions, Mike Teague states:

Optionally, depending on how hard you want it to be for the hunters, include:

• Nearest city or landmark.
  • Any special instructions.
  • A name for the stash, if you wish.
  • Any photos, if you have them.
  • Container description.
  • Contents of the stash.
  • Anything else you want potential hunters to know.

That's probably why it was a fairly common thing in the early days. I know I did it with my first caches. Later I started putting the original contents in a log note. Now sometimes I just photograph them and put a link on the page.

Here are a few:

6de3a011-140c-4bcf-b19c-ea690ece6ff0.jpg

36b672f3-e7d8-4611-a906-21a781e220e6.jpg

5ac9f143-f6a2-4c51-8ac0-5c1feaa45e57.jpg

3885e59a-d474-45aa-973d-deb84704d516.jpg

bb9cbee1-a47a-4996-910d-22c95e7c9449.jpg

I leave hand made skulls with holes in them, my personal geocoin, and hand made bracelettes in my caches. The skulls can be strung up on a string and collected along the way when you find my tree and cliff cache hides :lol: .

Each one of my new caches are placed high and require ropes or special skills to reach the cache hide. This prevents junk swag from collecting in my caches and leaves finders with nice handmade items when they reach the cache :P .

My first cache placement, "Mbharpmans music box", (GC16557) was filled with music related items, small harmonicas, recorders, percussion instruments, and the like.

I also left a .999 silver ounce coin as a FTF prize.

I have restocked it a couple of times and am gathering more items to restock again .