Help with home coordinates!

JakeNC

I recently tried to add my first cache to the website and recieved a reviewer's note saying that I needed to enter my home coordinates. The reviewer left very detailed instructions. I went to the page with the map and the search box where you are supposed to put in your information. However, no matter what I put in, it turns up blank. I've tried it on two different computers and it still happens. Am I doing something wrong? Or has somebody else experienced this? Please help!! Thanks!

I recently tried to add my first cache to the website and recieved a reviewer's note saying that I needed to enter my home coordinates. The reviewer left very detailed instructions. I went to the page with the map and the search box where you are supposed to put in your information. However, no matter what I put in, it turns up blank. I've tried it on two different computers and it still happens. Am I doing something wrong? Or has somebody else experienced this? Please help!! Thanks!

Hi Jake

When I set up my home coords it was very easy. Enter coords. Done.

I just went to look at what you asked about. I have no idea why they had to change the process to that total piece of crap map page. Enter coords. Click Search. It will pick some spot fairly close to where you searched. Click to Submit at the bottom of the page. Done. But why can't we just enter the digits of our choice and Save?

I actually screwed up my Home Coords by a few feet in this test and can't figure out how to revert back.

Hi Jake

When I set up my home coords it was very easy. Enter coords. Done.

I just went to look at what you asked about. I have no idea why they had to change the process to that total piece of crap map page. Enter coords. Click Search. It will pick some spot fairly close to where you searched. Click to Submit at the bottom of the page. Done. But why can't we just enter the digits of our choice and Save?

I actually screwed up my Home Coords by a few feet in this test and can't figure out how to revert back.

That's the thing though.. When I click search nothing happens. The page refreshes and nothing is entered in the search box. I've gone through all my internet settings to make sure nothing is preventing me from entering that information. I have no idea why it won't let me.

The location doesn't have to be exact. You can enter a zip code and that should be close enough. If you want the location closer, you can drag the marker to where you want it.

It won't let me put anything in though. Everytime I press search, no matter what I put in, the page just refreshes.

The location doesn't have to be exact. You can enter a zip code and that should be close enough. If you want the location closer, you can drag the marker to where you want it.

Not good enough. You used to just be able to set any coordinate digits you choose. Why would Groundspeak dump brain dead simple for total crap stupid? We have GPS units. Who needs a freaking map? And dragging the marker on the map is just a scab on the wound. I really would like a response from Groundspeak what problem was solved with this turd application.

1. Cardinal Red, I need for you to turn down the volume in your posts to this thread. It is uncharacteristic of you to be so nasty. Remember that the "respect" guideline here in the forums also applies to Groundspeak and its employees. It is highly unlikely that you'll hear anything from a Groundspeak Lackey, given (1) your tone, and (2) it's the beginning of a holiday weekend.

2. The map worked fine for me on a test account I control, which doesn't have home coordinates. Coordinate entry put me at an intersection near my actual home. When I entered my street address, the pushpin was centered on the dining room table in my house. I am not sure why the "search" button isn't working for you, OP. What computer operating systems and browsers did you try this with? IE 6.0 is a good browser to avoid when working with maps on Geocaching.com.

3. As an alternative to the map method, try entering your home coordinates here, using simple text entry.

1. Cardinal Red, I need for you to turn down the volume in your posts to this thread. It is uncharacteristic of you to be so nasty. Remember that the "respect" guideline here in the forums also applies to Groundspeak and its employees. It is highly unlikely that you'll hear anything from a Groundspeak Lackey, given (1) your tone, and (2) it's the beginning of a holiday weekend.

2. The map worked fine for me on a test account I control, which doesn't have home coordinates. Coordinate entry put me at an intersection near my actual home. When I entered my street address, the pushpin was centered on the dining room table in my house. I am not sure why the "search" button isn't working for you, OP. What computer operating systems and browsers did you try this with? IE 6.0 is a good browser to avoid when working with maps on Geocaching.com.

3. As an alternative to the map method, try entering your home coordinates here, using simple text entry.

Thank you for bringing up the issue IE 6.0. That's the browser I had been using. I switched to a different one and it works just fine. Thanks for the help.

-Jake

OK Keystone. Scolding acknowledged.

I can only think of three places where the Home Coordinates feature is used.

(1) Search for caches from Home Coordinates centerpoint.

(2) Provide centerpoint for Weekly Newsletter

(3) Identify home location for New Cache Placements.

Did I miss anything?

After reading the OP I spent more than half an hour looking for the "simple text entry" method I knew I had used to set my own Home Coordinates. All three links I managed to track down took me to the map based Manage Location page that I made a few unflattering comments about yesterday. Enough said. And I have since found a fourth link to that same page from the Weekly Newsletter. I guess I have to grudgingly acknowledge consistency here.

However Keystone did provided a link to the Mark my Home Coordinates page which had eluded me. Perhaps I'm pathetic, but it took me nearly two hours to track down for myself that link from the GC.com site. How many of you know where the link is? Those of you who don't, how quickly can you track it down?

This all started with a Reviewer requesting a member to provide Home Coords to prove that a new cache listing did not violate the vacation guideline. That reviewer sent the member to the complicated inexact map based "Manage Location" page when the "Mark my Home Coordinates" page is EXACTLY IDENTICAL to the coordinates entry boxes the member was required to fill out on the cache placement form.

In the most respectful tone I can project, can anyone answer why the "Manage Location" page is now so prominently featured and the "Mark my Home Coordinates" page is so well hidden. And what problem was solved when that change was implemented.

Thank You

However Keystone did provided a link to the Mark my Home Coordinates page which had eluded me. Perhaps I'm pathetic, but it took me nearly two hours to track down for myself that link from the GC.com site. How many of you know where the link is? Those of you who don't, how quickly can you track it down?
Uncle.

I gave up after half an hour. I'm curious where the link to the /my/home.aspx page is hidden.

Thank You

This is what would have satisfied many who have complained over the last years(?) about an inability to exactly specify home coordinates. I discovered when I bought a second account I was unable to set my coordinates to what I had on my original account.

So I'm betting very few people can find that link. Where is it?

Go to the Knowledgebase.

Do a Home Coordinates text search.

Choose the Search: Near My Home link.

Search: Near My Home

SolutionYou can search for nearest caches from your home coordinates ( and even filter out the caches that you have already found) directly from My Account page:

http://www.geocaching.com/my/

Look for the box labeled "Search Options" and follow the appropriate links.

In order for this feature to work, you must share with us your Home Coordinates:

http://www.geocaching.com/my/home.aspx

See also: "Home Coordinates"

That URL in "Search: Near My Home" (highlighted in red) will take you to the elusive Mark my Home Coordinates

How is something that changes your coordinates to what it wants an improvement? It is impossible to directly set your coordinates now without the site changing them to what it thinks.

I'm missing the part where the site changes them to what it thinks. My Home Coordinates are set to the exact spot that I placed them in the middle of the river.

Improved: to raise to a better quality or condition; make better

Improved? You have offered an opinion. I disagree with your opinion.

Did you have to rub salt in the wound with a smiley face?

Ok.

It was never my intention to rub salt in anything. I was merely trying to supply the updated information since the poster indicated that the links no longer worked.

It's okay to disagree, although I don't get it.

.I'm missing the part where the site changes them to what it thinks. My Home Coordinates are set to the exact spot that I placed them in the middle of the river.

This has only been a major complaint since the "new" page was implemented. Lots of complaints about this issue in the forums.

You can try and soften this all you want, its a real issue and gs has broken it, far from an improvement.

They worry about placed counts being wrong on the friends page, making the excuse that it makes them look bad, yet they put out other broken issues all over the place, and to make it worse, they break things that once worked perfectly. This is a prime example.

.I'm missing the part where the site changes them to what it thinks. My Home Coordinates are set to the exact spot that I placed them in the middle of the river.

This has only been a major complaint since the "new" page was implemented. Lots of complaints about this issue in the forums.

You can try and soften this all you want, its a real issue and gs has broken it, far from an improvement.

They worry about placed counts being wrong on the friends page, making the excuse that it makes them look bad, yet they put out other broken issues all over the place, and to make it worse, they break things that once worked perfectly. This is a prime example.

Potato Finder, I caution you to read post #8 of this thread. TPTB must not be harshly criticized. Even when they deserve it.

How is something that changes your coordinates to what it wants an improvement? It is impossible to directly set your coordinates now without the site changing them to what it thinks.

I'm missing the part where the site changes them to what it thinks. My Home Coordinates are set to the exact spot that I placed them in the middle of the river.

Question to Motorcycle_Mama. Are you willing to try an experiment to see if it will help you "get it"?

Referencing a hide of yours, I think the coords N 36° 52.900 W 076° 22.700 should be very near your home range, and are NOT in a river. Using your "improved" method, how close can you set your Home Coordinates to those coordinates? And how big a pain in the butt is it?

Did you read this recent post? Setting location on geocaching.com

After this experiment and reading about the experience of the new cacher linked to above, do you still describe this map based option as "improved"?

I have been too blunt about my personal feelings on this issue. I don't see the Devs coming here to try and convince me that this bitter pill was for my own good. But I really wish they could let me know what problem was solved by killing off the quick, easy, and precise text option.

Well, your response was (in my opinion) extraordinarily rude to me and far more extreme than seemed to be warranted by the exchange.

As I stated above, I was merely responding to Potato Finder's post saying that the links no longer worked.

And the "improved" comment was my personal assessment of ease of dragging the little man as opposed to having to enter numbers which for many new users is a daunting process. Many new users have a harder time grasping the numbers.

Somehow, I stumbled into your personal fight/issue about this matter. And I have not interest in being in the middle of that. I was merely trying to give updated information.

I my opinion did not and does not reflect that of the Groundspeak developers as I am not one and do not work for them.

As to your experiment, I was easily able to set the coordinates desired.

xlwayt.jpg

2lt9x3.jpg

I'm fiddling with Manage Location, and not finding that I can fine tune.

When I enter new, slightly different coords as text, I get the following message in small red print, under the map

System.Exception: Error in decoding latitude at Tucson.WebApp.Common.account.ManageLocations.uxSaveLocation_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)

not wonderful. It does say, "If necessary, drag the marker to make small corrections." and that will work. Interesting...

Edited by Isonzo Karst