geocaching Goal for 2010

ToonAl

Kate, I have not been to Brantford yet to do these rail trail caches, if you want to join us I was thinking of doing a GHMGC day probably May 15th.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've put a question mark on my calendar and will see what else is on my plate closer to the time. May/June are shaping up to be chock full of geocaching events!

I'm thinking, maybe, 300 finds by/at Spring Fling. That's a bit ambitious based on my current caching rate and propensity for being distracted by - and spending the afternoon at - interesting earth caches.

Maybe I need to make a trip to Brantford :blink:

Yes, Res2100 never responded to my suggestion of Brantford as a destination to find his 100+ caches in a day. I'd also suggest a bicycle. There is going to be an American invasion of Brantford in March. Me, I've never found more than 23 in a day. I'm definitely not a "power cacher", but seeing as these are smalls and regulars along rails to trails, I'm not only in, I'm organizing the trip!! I'm thinking somewhere in the 50-75 range though, no zany plans for 100.

I looked at Brantford when you suggested it, and although the cache density\power trails are very good, I don't know if it's possible to get 100 there in a day there, especially considering you would probably have to do 30-40km of hiking.

We've decided on the Kitchener-Waterloo area for being the best spot to get 100 finds in a day, as there are several hundred caches to choose from that none of the 6 of us who plan on taking part have done yet. We plan on going on a weekday in the Spring sometime.

Kate, I have not been to Brantford yet to do these rail trail caches, if you want to join us I was thinking of doing a GHMGC day probably May 15th.

Didn't see your reply for several weeks. I agree you probably need a Bike/Scooter/Rollerblades/Moped etc.. to get 100 in a day in Brantford. Although strategic parking with members of your party could cut down on hiking, I'm sure.

But C'mon now. On February 15th, 18 more "power trail" caches were placed in Brantford, starting right after the 2010 Olympic Series. It's a Star Wars Series. Who doesn't love Star Wars? Everyone loves Star Wars. :(

I'm a n00b so my goals aren't all that lofty by some standards, but my main goal is to incorporate Geocaching into my regular fitness routine and to find as many back country caches as I can.

I only have a few finds so far but they have been in the forest and I really have no interest in finding "city" caches unless they are in a wooded park or ravine. I'm all about the outdoors and getting out of the city as often as I can :o

100 finds would be acceptable.

Well, it's been 2 months since I posted that and it looks like my goal is too low lol. New goal for 2010 ...

200 finds and at least 1 hide. :blink:

for the record, I have lost 15 pounds so far geocaching :(

actually get to my cottage, rather then caching along the way and never making it.. :D

How 'bout going straight there and caching on the way back....? I'll write you a note for work.... :)

The caching becomes exponentially awesomener(sic) as i get closer. I figure if i can just get up there I can do a cache or maybe two, then spend the next few days recovering..

This year's goals for the geek include:

1. Going on a canoe cache and not cracking the hull wide open while 3 km upriver, :D

2. Going winter cacheing in a remote forest and not getting the vehicle stuck in the snow for 3 hours, B)

Lofty goals indeed! :unsure:

Edited by entogeek

1. Going on a canoe cache and not cracking the hull wide open while 3 km upriver, :D

2. Going winter cacheing in a remote forest and not getting the vehicle stuck in the snow for 3 hours, B)

Lofty goals indeed! :unsure:

Aw, but where's the fun in that! :)

Three months in. Let's see how I'm doing. :laughing:

My caching-related goals for this year:

1. Design 3 new geocoins

I've done one I am selling myself being minted now.

Completed one design for someone else and now working on a second.

2. Hit 1000 caches found

Found 200 so far this year. Should hit 1000 sometime in May at this pace.

3. Place 20 caches

17 placed so far... all winter friendly

4. Plan and host a rockin' mega event in July!!

Working on it! Registration should be up and running by tonight!

5. Host one CITO

Hmm. Maybe in the Fall.

6. Find a cache in one more province

Hoping to get to PEI this Summer or Fall

Late start for us, but as we are new to this, our goal this year is to hit 50 caches. We were going to say 100, but we are both full time students and full time employees and planning a wedding, so we are not sure how much time we will have, so we will stick with 50.

cBk31211

(Chad and Kristina)

I would like to break 100 finds this year, or at least 50. It always seems like something comes up to ruin my caching plans though. Maybe garlic or wolfsbane will keep it away... :P

I will be placing a cache for an upcoming local event though so at least that's one long overdue goal that will be met.

@ E&Cplus3: I had no idea that Vault Tec had a vault in NS. What number is on the back of your jumpsuit?

2. Going winter cacheing in a remote forest and not getting the vehicle stuck in the snow for 3 hours, :D

Lofty goals indeed! :)

So I know the truck getting stuck story, care to enlighten us with the story on the canoe??

Time to modify my previous goal(s).

My goal is to have a memorable experience while caching, preferably a positive one that won't result in those that know me bringing it up again and again and again and again... stoopid canoe.

oh ya! almost forgot about that!

Don't you have some water to fall into somewhere? :) If not, I have a canoe you can borrow... slightly used and in need of some minor repairs. :laughing: No wait, the reciprocating saw got to it and it wound up in my utility trailer. B)

1. Going on a canoe cache and not cracking the hull wide open while 3 km upriver, :)

Lofty goals indeed! :laughing:

So I know the truck getting stuck story, care to enlighten us with the story on the canoe??

Oh alright, Sun-Cacher. Sept. 19, 2009 log.

Next goal has been achieved. Six of us went out on Friday and found over 100 caches in a day, from 6:00 am til midnight without using a power trail. Total found was 113.

res2100 and I also completed the caches in the Niagara gorge on the American side this week. We started them last year and made a second trip this week to get the rest. Well worth the adventure if you are up to it. No child friendly for some of them. The views and thrills however were unmatchable. If you are looking for a goal, this would make a good one.

Edited by Keith Watson

As Keith mentioned, we found 113 geocaches in a single day (18 hours, 6am - midnight) therefore achieving my goal of finding 100 caches in a single day. It was a very fun day and I enjoyed accomplishing this goal with a great group of friends. Now to think of a new caching goal.

Here's some stats from our adventure.

Participants (6): res2100, bggy, geob.o.b, Keith Watson, emzernask, Jiminie Crickets

Most caches in one hour - 11

Least caches in one hour - 3 (twice)

Finds by hour: 7,11,8,5,3,3,8,9,8,8,6,6,6,6,5,5,5,4

Average finds per hour: 6.278

DNFs - 8

Highest difficulty rated cache: 3.5

Highest terrain rated cache: 4.0

Average difficulty: 1.633

Average terrain: 1.588

Longest hike (one way) to a cache: 640m

Longest round trip hike (for 2 caches): 1.5km

Total distance traveled (driving and hiking): 330km

Total area covered: 248 sq km

1. Going on a canoe cache and not cracking the hull wide open while 3 km upriver, :rolleyes:

2. Going winter cacheing in a remote forest and not getting the vehicle stuck in the snow for 3 hours, :ph34r:

I know about #1 because of my Mini-Fizzy, but what's the story for #2? I got my Jeep stuck overnight and since misery loves company I'd like to hear this one.

I've just gotten back into it this year. I'm hoping for somewhere between 150 and 200 caches this year, meeting some of the local cachers, attending at least ONE CCC event (I have Cubs on their meeting night) and continuing to have fun introducing my three little kids to caching.. (they're loving it so far!)

Tyg

I'm thinking, maybe, 300 finds by/at Spring Fling. That's a bit ambitious based on my current caching rate and propensity for being distracted by - and spending the afternoon at - interesting earth caches.

Maybe I need to make a trip to Brantford :)

This goal seemed ambitious in February but now I ... just ... keep ... finding .... caches. And (reaching 290 today) I'll have to slow down if iI want to make Spring Fling #300.

So, is this how the disease spreads, with steadily increasing #s of caches found per month. :)

Is there a cure? :)

Seriously ... I'm having fun.

And, a new goal: develop and hide, with Team_BG, a cemetary multi because we enjoy them so much.

CanadaKate

I would like to break 100 finds this year, or at least 50. It always seems like something comes up to ruin my caching plans though. Maybe garlic or wolfsbane will keep it away... :)

I will be placing a cache for an upcoming local event though so at least that's one long overdue goal that will be met.

@ E&Cplus3: I had no idea that Vault Tec had a vault in NS. What number is on the back of your jumpsuit?

Well, nearly a month later and I have met one of the three goals and very nearly two of the three.

I have surpassed 50 finds and am nearly at my first 100 with only 8 more to go.

Unfortunately I was not able to make a hide for the aforementioned event due to life getting in the way but that goal will be met and surpassed by a good margin soon enough.

The best part of all is that I have met some really good people thanks to local events, put faces to names seen online, and made some inseparable friends along the way. Those things beat any numbers goals in my book hands down. :)

I guess my new goals will be 200 finds, and adding another province, territory, or country (likely the US thus also getting my first state) before the year is out. I have no doubts about getting 200 finds, probably before summer, so I hope that one gets replaced real soon.

Done, today. And I managed to co-ordinate my #300 with Team_BG's #250.

Now, on to the fun of Spring Fling and the rest of this caching year.

:laughing:

Maybe I need to make a trip to Brantford B)

My Goals:

1. 4000th cache find (Started the year at approx 2200 :))

2. Find at least one cache in every Region/District/County in Ontario

3. Cache more in New York

4. Attend more events in new areas

About half-way through the year, and I've done all these except for #2, which I am still working on. To my knowledge, Juicepig is closest to finishing this goal with 3 districts remaining. I've also heard that 3-Bearss have this as a goal as well. Another cacher who may be close to completing this is jleecollins, though I'm only speculating on this based on their find range.

Kudos to Bullfrog Eh-Team for getting so close to highlighting all those regions.

. To my knowledge, Juicepig is closest to finishing this goal with 3 districts remaining. I've also heard that 3-Bearss have this as a goal as well.

Those last 3 have been taunting me for nearly 2 years now - And i am unlikely to get to them this year or next. Good luck 3bearss!

I'm not sure if you'd really call it a goal or not, seeing as I have every intention of it happening, but I am looking forward to finding Canada's first geocache in the next three weeks. Then I will have found Canada's three oldest caches, and 4 of the 5 oldest. There probably aren't many cachers that could say the same!

Six months now. Time for an update. :P

My caching-related goals for this year:

1. Design 3 new geocoins

One in the bag -- Discover Your World. (view thread)

Second one is now in the sample stage -- Alice (view thread)

Designed the Martime Geobash 2010 coin. (view thread)

Working on a design for my first client

2. Hit 1000 caches found

Done!

3. Place 20 caches

Still stuck at 17.

4. Plan and host a rockin' mega event in July!!

Two weeks to go!

5. Host one CITO

Hmm. Maybe in the Fall.

6. Find a cache in one more province

Probably not going to happen this year. B)

While it may not seem like it, I have not had the time to go out caching in the ways that I had hoped and since the year is nearly half over it is time to update as others have.

} I've been doing pretty well at filling in the Caching Calendar Challenge. I missed Jan 3rd and May 17th, but happy with my results so far. Will keep on this goal

} Got 10 listings published, and then noticed a slight flaw in my plan and now have to get another 30 listed by the end of the year. That leaves 30 for 2011 and 30 for 2012.

} Having worked on solving many local puzzle caches I hope to get much more of my local caches completed.

Three goals is enough, but I still want to spend more time caching with friends.

:lol: BQ

2010 will be the year I finally FTF a cache, any cache, that's been waiting more than a year for the occasion. (Right now I'm stuck at 11 months; this is hard!)

February will be the month, I think.

I have a plan...

Okay, I bombed out in Mexico. I bombed out in Guatemala. But I finally succeeded in Alberta with an FTF after almost 3 years.

I can't tell you how good that feels.

I've had some goals for 2010 roaming around in my head but never put them down here...

1. Reach 7000 finds (did that in June, now it's on to 8000... by GHAGAFAP, perhaps?)

2. Find 1000 caches in one or more counties (less than 50 to go in Halton, and a little over 100 in Niagara)

3. Continue to colour my county map red (250+ finds in a county). I currently have 10 red counties, and 2 or 3 more are getting up there.

4. I have only one day left on the yearly calendar on which to find a cache. So that will be completed on July 9th. My calendar alarm is already set...

I started finding a cache every day on March 1st, and made it to 71 days or so. It was difficult to travel out of the way for a cache every day, due to the number of finds I already have... I think the only way I would be able to complete the 365 continuous days is if I moved at least 3 hours away in any direction.

Little late on this post, but figured I would add mine.

1. 200 finds (~20 left to go)

2. Find at least one 5 terrain difficulty cache with Cohen in the backpack

3. 50 hides (introducing some cache types not found locally)

4. Attend 8 Events this year (2 completed, 6 marked as 'will attend', vender at 6 events)

After a small typo in Google Earth, I now want to place a cache in one of the two following locations;

N 47 00.000 W 081 00.000

or

N 47 00.000 W 081 00.000

Looks like there is a small typo in your post too as both coordinates are the same. :)

If those forest access roads are open, you could probably get within 200m with a 4x4.