If you love micros, You'll love my new cache.

daveindeal

whether i do the cache or not is not the point (sounds intriguing, if somewhat painful!) However, it's different, its pushing the boundaries, and to my my mind, that is part of what makes caching enjoyable. We frequently bemoan that Groundspeak prevents us trying something original (or nearly original anyway!) so fair play to someone who does something a little different.

Especially, I do hope that any talk of vandalism is tongue in cheek. Vandalising a cache that you don't agree with is (IMHO) the lowest of the low. Its not everyone's cup of tea, but plenty more caches about!

I would propose that there is possibly ONE way to find the container quickly - however cachers should have to use their ingenuity to work it out! I have an idea (which I'm not telling, so it can't be oversome!) already, to prevent having to search 4000 containers!

Cheers!

Dave

Without seeing a specific cache page, these comments are only general ones about possible issues.

Access: will there be access to the shed 24/7? Will cachers only be able to attempt the cache when someone is in the house. Will cachers have to contact you first to make sure there is access to the Shed?

You could have set hours, but it would be impossible to have variable hours. As experience has shown, that you'll get those who do not read the cache page. Or even ignore time restrictions.

Neighbours: You'll need it inform your neighbours of what is going on. As your going to be have strange people accessing your property, possibly at all times on the day and night. If no one is at home, they will have to decide if the person is a genuine cacher lurking around the back of your property. Or possibly a burglar.

I know the above seems a attempt to block the cache, but as a Reviewer these are genuine concerns as we are the ones who get dragged in if things go pear shaped. As there is a risk of a cacher being stopped and challenged by the Police due to a Neighbour spotting them and phoning the Police. Or being a suspect of a burglary in the local area [even your own property] as someone saw them acting in a furtive and suspicious manner [we've had multiple incidences of cachers being stopped and challenged by the Police due to their behaviour flagging it up. And not only in London. But also because a member of a Airport Watch scheme set up by Police based at a International Airport Flagged up the cachers behaviour . The cache location being miles away from the Airport, but under the flight path].

Better to be as pro-active as possible before submitting the cache, and have as many possible issues resolved. It will help save you, cachers searching for the cache and the Reviewers from potential issues. Due to a lack of communication with those living local to you. Caching is about having fun, it's not fun if your challenged by the Police or a concerned neighbour!

Deci

Without seeing a specific cache page, these comments are only general ones about possible issues.

He already has a cache in the shed, so I guess that there are no new issues.

Other than proximity. Unless his shed is really, really BIG. Around 528 feet long I guess :) .

Or, of course, he could simply archive the existing one I suppose...

whether i do the cache or not is not the point (sounds intriguing, if somewhat painful!) However, it's different, its pushing the boundaries, and to my my mind, that is part of what makes caching enjoyable. We frequently bemoan that Groundspeak prevents us trying something original (or nearly original anyway!) so fair play to someone who does something a little different.

It's certainly different. I know different people like different things, but for the life of me I can't see how anyone could find hunting through 4000 film pots to be any more enjoyable than hunting through 40. Up to a point increasing the number of pots makes it more of a challenge and beyond a point it just makes it more tedious. For myself this many pots is so far past the point of it just being tedious it seems counterproductive.

There are some caches I don't enjoy much but can appreciate that others do. For this one I just can't imagine anyone finding it enjoyable at all. But hey, if someone's into that kind of thing who am I to stop them?

Wow, if I still lived in my last house in the Yorkshire countryside I could have set the ultimate cache for daveindeal, the container would have been my "garden" which contained a few hundred ivy covered trees. I could have hidden a film can in each tree! Only one of course would be "the cache". Daveindeal would have loved it.

Where is the locked logbook going to be? At the same property? Cachers may be more prepared to search through thousands of film pots if they know the next part of the cache involves a long walk in the countryside, or some other challenge/experience that rewards them for the effort they have put in rummaging in your shed. If the locked logbook is in the shed it's just going to be like the longest Crystal Maze challenge ever. Sorry but it doesn't sound like much fun to me.

Where is the locked logbook going to be? At the same property? Cachers may be more prepared to search through thousands of film pots if they know the next part of the cache involves a long walk in the countryside, or some other challenge/experience that rewards them for the effort they have put in rummaging in your shed.

Speak for yourself :P

Unless there was a literal pot of gold up for grabs I wouldn't bother hunting through that many film pots. I can go take a walk in the countryside without spending hours opening film pots to find a route - it's quicker and easier to buy an OS map and pick a route for myself. If I had to open thousands of film pots to find the coordinates I've got no way of knowing there isn't an equally pointless task to complete when I get to the coordinates. You know, like finding it's someone else's shed containing a box of thousands of film pots or something.

If the locked logbook is in the shed it's just going to be like the longest Crystal Maze challenge ever. Sorry but it doesn't sound like much fun to me.

the longest Crystal Maze challenge ever. I couldn't have put it better myself...

Well there is a bunch of happy people who are clearly really excited about this cache! :P

I think it sounds like a bit of fun personally and will be giving it a go (keep me informed)!!

If you don't want to do it........don't.

Don't have a go at the poor guy who is making an effort (and sounds like a fair bit) for some cachers to have a spot of fun!

Its only a game!

after several of you have show how unwilling to do something different or take up a challange. :angry:

i will change:

1. From 1 cubic meter to a 10 gal container (holding about 1000 micros) B)

2. you wont need to open all of them, the key will rattle (there may be a few false sounds there tho) :)

3. the container will be set in the middle of some woods (if its cold, wet that your own fault for dissin my warm dry shed with tv radio and a bar!!) :P

I know that the one in USA normally had people doing it in groups of several cachers or even got the better halfs or kids involved.

I may organise an event later in the year with 10,000 micros :smile: in a coinatainer and for all who attend they will have to all dive in befor they can log the event.

after several of you have show how unwilling to do something different or take up a challange. :P

I wouldn't say it's anything to do with being "unwilling to do something different" or "a challenge". To me having looked through the first dozen or so film pots the subsequent 3,988 film pots don't add anything to the "challenge" and certainly don't add any more fun.

For me it's like looking for a film pot in a pile of leaves. If the pile of leaves is a foot square, maybe two square feet, it's worth a look. But once the pile gets to more than five or six square feet it ceases to be fun and becomes tedious. Give me a field covered in dried leaves with a film pot in there somewhere and, in the absence of anything to narrow it down, I just don't see any fun in searching that many leaves.

Regarding your shed, I personally would not walk into someone's shed unless it was obvious that the cache was in there, and that I was welcome to enter. For me when the GPS points onto what is clearly someone else's private property I'll either attempt to verify that I am truly welcome there, or walk on by. I'm not interested in getting into grief for walking into someone's back garden just because my GPS needle said so, no matter what a web site says.

That said, if you're home most of the time you could meet a lot of people that way - I met a couple of geocachers in the US when I knocked on their front door to confirm permission to go on their back porch to retrieve a cache. They didn't know quite what to make of an English guy turning up in a sleepy small town in the middle of nowhere in the US, but they were a lovely couple and still keep in touch.

I did a cache just like this in Shropshire. I really enjoyed it, but that was because it was a Mystery cache and there was no hint before you arrived at GZ that you'd have to shake hundreds of film canisters out of the slim neck of a huge water bottle (impossible to do quietly!) and then hunt through them all <_< It was a cheeky and very funny surprise!

Edited by tonibunny