If you love micros, You'll love my new cache.

daveindeal

86b4240f-bbac-41a6-b015-815e8bc0c22a.jpg

Look out Kent here i come,

I have been talking to the CO of This Cache in USA and he has agreed for me to produce a clone here in the UK.

The original cache has 3,000 micros im planning on between 4,000 - 6,000 with only one containing the key to get to the locked logbook.

The average find time for the log is 1Hr +

The only difference is that he used a 55 Gal drum and im planning on using one of these with the entire top cut off:

new%201000%20litre.gif

Today I started to prepare for the cache and visitied 3 well known high street photo shops withing 5 miles of my home and collect 350(ish) 35mm film canisters/miros.

i have 6 more photo shops with 10-15 miles of here to visit and also collect some as well as a contact from the CO to see if they have the same production company this side of the pond.

I have also written to some of the well known photo companys to see if they can donate or give me a supplyers contact for the canisters.

Edited by daveindeal

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I have no problems with, and enjoy micros as much as any other cache when placed in a suitable location. But as for this idea, well as far as I am concerned life is way to short to be searching 1000s of 35mm cases for a log book; I would give it a very wide berth. I'm certain that someone would enjoy it though, and they are welcolm to it.

I've found one that's similar, but lots smaller.... Do it! It's evil, but do it anyway!

I hate Micro's and have heard of this idea before... It is truley evil, but I like it...

I just hope every visitor who finds it and DNF's logs it then you have to check it yourself from time to time... :)

Or is it against the rules as a finder to stick a new log in the first Micro you find, you found you logged then you can clame FTF as well?

Could be a cache setter worst nightmare :)

So go for it......

Found a smaller version 'Ammo box full of micros all with paper in them but only ONE log book' well it was full to start with but so many finders just decided to help themselves to the micros that when we found it there was only 20 or so left and there had been 4 log books added. It wasn't to bad as it was the last box in a circular series that involved a nice walk around some woods.

Edited by DrDick&Vick

Seen a couple of these, although not so many cannisters. One by the Mountain Girls in Somerset/North Devon, about twenty in a large empty plastic oil bottle so getting them out was just as much a trial as finding the one with the co-ords and another by the Lydford Locators up near the Cotswold Water Parks area, a large plastic cache box which when opened had been completely filled in rows standing up with cannisters, again one holding the co-ords required. A thousand ? perhaps would not have the time or inclination, would also have to be a Muggle free location. Good luck though, its something new for Kent no doubt. :):)

Or is it against the rules as a finder to stick a new log in the first Micro you find, you found you logged then you can clame FTF as well?

there had been 4 log books added.

only one containing the key to get to the locked logbook

I had thought of this already and my version will have a locked box !! containing the log and any swaps, coins insentives

this will also make maintenance easier you always get a spare key, with every lock

Good luck with the cache! I've logged a similar one, but it only had about 50 micros in it. Can't say I like this type of hide particularly so I won't be going out of my way for it (I'll be in Kent this month, yet again), but I suppose it's OK if it's a fine day and the cache is in a nice spot with somewhere to sit down for a while.

Edited by Happy Humphrey

Seen a couple of these, although not so many cannisters. One by the Mountain Girls in Somerset/North Devon, about twenty in a large empty plastic oil bottle so getting them out was just as much a trial as finding the one with the co-ords and another by the Lydford Locators up near the Cotswold Water Parks area, a large plastic cache box which when opened had been completely filled in rows standing up with cannisters, again one holding the co-ords required. A thousand ? perhaps would not have the time or inclination, would also have to be a Muggle free location. Good luck though, its something new for Kent no doubt. :rolleyes::P

Cool, I'll have to do that cache. Sounds like brilliant fun. And the OP's cache in Kent when it gets published. I do like a challenge occasionally...

Could be worse...... a 6 stage multi, each stage having 1000 micros with 14 of them each containing one digit of the coords for the next stage (but you have to guess the order the numbers should be in)...etc ... etc.... to the final stage where you eventually find the key :rolleyes:

Chris (MrB)

Edited to add.... what have I just suggested!

Edited by The Blorenges

86b4240f-bbac-41a6-b015-815e8bc0c22a.jpg

Look out Kent here i come,

I have been talking to the CO of This Cache in USA and he has agreed for me to produce a clone here in the UK.

The original cache has 3,000 micros im planning on between 4,000 - 6,000 with only one containing the key to get to the locked logbook.

The average find time for the log is 1Hr +

The only difference is that he used a 55 Gal drum and im planning on using one of these with the entire top cut off:

new%201000%20litre.gif

Today I started to prepare for the cache and visitied 3 well known high street photo shops withing 5 miles of my home and collect 350(ish) 35mm film canisters/miros.

i have 6 more photo shops with 10-15 miles of here to visit and also collect some as well as a contact from the CO to see if they have the same production company this side of the pond.

I have also written to some of the well known photo companys to see if they can donate or give me a supplyers contact for the canisters.

Please wait until 5th November to hide this cache.

this will also make maintenance easier you always get a spare key, with every lock
But surely if you're doing cache maintenance you have to check the key is still there :rolleyes: ?

But on a more serious note, I did one of these as the start of a multi, I guess there were about 50 film cans and I found the co-ords in almost the last one. By the time I had finished my fingers and thumbs were very sore from prising off the lids.

Rgds, Andy

Edited by Amberel

Just out of interest, what would stop one annoyed cacher from tying the key to a piece of string and taping it to the inside of the box, to save future finders from having to go through so many film pots?

Honestly, I can see a lot of people either not bothering and burying the cache listing with DNFs and notes saying they just couldn't be bothered with it, or taking the film pots away, or subverting your intentions some other way.

If it's a locked box it would be very tempting to save the next cacher the bother of a largely pointless search by just leaving the box unlocked.

Just out of interest, what would stop one annoyed cacher from tying the key to a piece of string and taping it to the inside of the box, to save future finders from having to go through so many film pots?

Honestly, I can see a lot of people either not bothering and burying the cache listing with DNFs and notes saying they just couldn't be bothered with it, or taking the film pots away, or subverting your intentions some other way.

If it's a locked box it would be very tempting to save the next cacher the bother of a largely pointless search by just leaving the box unlocked.

Although this is probably going to be the first ever cache to go onto my ignore list, I think it's pretty lame if people start ruining it for those that want to do it. Anyone who gets so annoyed by this that they try to sabotage it is just pathetic.

I think the best caches are properly hidden ammo boxes. But like I say - each to his own. That's what the ignore list is for. If the cache is within the guidelines set by GC.com - then who am I to say it's wrong?

Although this is probably going to be the first ever cache to go onto my ignore list, I think it's pretty lame if people start ruining it for those that want to do it. Anyone who gets so annoyed by this that they try to sabotage it is just pathetic.

Here Here

The location i had chose was my shed (8 feet from my house) this way there will be no muggle intervention, also its in the dry, warm.

Also on the door to the shed is a sensor to let me know if someone enters, therfor i can make you a cup of tea and have a chat while you attempt it.

This will also mean that after every attemp, i can "check on it"

or taking the film pots away

The whole point of so may film pots is that you are allowed to take a few away and spawn your own cache with it, these will then be bookmarked as spawned caches from this one.

At the end of the year the furthest spawned cache will win a prize

At the end of the year the furthest spawned cache will win a prize

I must remember that when I come down to Dover for Little Miss Naughty's event later in the year....

Although I don't fancy doing the cache, not my cup of tea to be honest.

Edited by HazelS

I think the best caches are properly hidden ammo boxes. But like I say - each to his own. That's what the ignore list is for. If the cache is within the guidelines set by GC.com - then who am I to say it's wrong?

Personally I'd ignore it rather than vandalise it.

But the whole point of geocaching (to me at least) is to have some fun. I for one can't see any additional fun to be had in searching through 100 film pots in the same box than in searching through 10. When the numbers go to several thousand the whole thing seems like an exercise in futility. I'm all for people choosing the caches they're most likely to enjoy, I just don't see any possible way to get any enjoyment out of opening thousands of film pots in rapid succession. But to each their own I guess. If it was anywhere near me I'd be using the ignore function as well.

If it's in the owner's shed, why not just fill the entire shed with hundreds of thousands of film pots and hide a key in one of them?

Edited by team tisri

Interesting!

Is your shed a nice location?

I'd be happy to have a less inspiring location for a unique and challenging cache hide, and meeting a friendly fellow cacher for a brew can be fun. A good cache is always a mix of ingredients but at least one aspect needs to be fun/good.

So, assuming your shed is, well, a shed, the cache hide had better be a good 'un. Is this volume idea 'clever' 'cunning' 'sneaky' or some other adjective other than 'just a long slog'? Is it going to be fun to stand and watch me for 5.5 hrs (4000 pots x 5 secs) while I find the key? Am I going to want to snap lids on and off for 5.5 hrs? Think I'm going to need more than just a brew and your conversation had better be jolly sparkling!

I think the 'size' of your plan is impressive, but the concept needs another element to lift it from sheer boring tedium to a clever and sneaky (= memorable and enjoyable) cache. Perhaps simplest way is to include some sort of puzzle to identify which pot is the one. Magnet on a string and go 'fishing' in your 'pond of micros' might be a simple thing to do. No doubt there are several other ways of making it 'fun' and not just plain boring! So, you need to add another dash of creativity to make the plan work IMHO.

Coming through the door and finding a cubic metre of micros is quite unique and the stuff of some people's nightmares! So worth doing just for that but it needs a smart way round the tedium! :anibad:

If it's in the owner's shed, why not just fill the entire shed with hundreds of thousands of film pots and hide a key in one of them?

Cacher dies after being crushed to death by an avalanche of film cannisters!

A participant in "geocaching" was crushed to death yesterday when he opened a shed door in search of treasure, only to be greeted by a falling wall of 35mm film cannisters. His caching partner said "It was a complete shock. We knew there were a few but weren't expecting so many. I carried on and found the one with the key so I could sign the log. Then I called an ambulance but it was too late..."

Cacher dies after being crushed to death by an avalanche of film cannisters!

A participant in "geocaching" was crushed to death yesterday when he opened a shed door in search of treasure, only to be greeted by a falling wall of 35mm film cannisters. His caching partner said "It was a complete shock. We knew there were a few but weren't expecting so many. I carried on and found the one with the key so I could sign the log. Then I called an ambulance but it was too late..."

Ah, that's where you miss the point. Cachers are a resourceful lot, so it would make sense to call the ambulance first. Then you'd have at least two more pairs of hands to open the infernal film pots, as well as first aid on hand to put the ends of your fingers and thumbs back together again....

Cant you just shake them if it dont rattle then its not got a key in?

Ahhhh, but he could get around that by putting a nano in each one so they all sound the same. :)

MrsB

As I said before:

Metal detector on standby :P

That's assuming all the others are empty ...

We've done one of these before (with a sensible number of film canisters) and the owner made sure that they all sounded the same when shaken.

Having attempted most of D in D's caches,there will probably be several errors that need ironing out and thats if he puts the cache coords on the page ,unlike one of his other live caches.....Where he's putting this new cache, he already has a live cache, reading his description on the forum ,so an archive and at least an hour of our lives after several evenings spent wasting time on mission impossible ill conceived caches, no thanks mate please accept some advise and try finding a few more before wasting our fuel and time.....Sorry if a bit harsh,but you have ignored advice and offers of help from ourselves and others included...so in answer to your post we wont be loving it!!!!! MooToo

Did I read that right?? It'll be in his garden shed???

No way would I think it's ok to go rummaging in someone's shed - no way, not ever. It's bad enough looking over someone's wall, but I'd NEVER go into someone's shed in the name of caching....

I've done a cache or three in cachers gardens - I'd do a cache in a shed as long as it was obviously clear that that is where the cache was.