Endura Safari and mapselect.com

ohiopeace

Hi all, I am a new GPS users and recently purchased and Endura Safari by Lowrance. I tried to get a few maps from mapselect.com but I am having trouble viewing the maps on my GPS. Has anyone has any experience with mapselect.com. I have tried creating the folder called "RasterMaps" on both a MicroSD card as well as the Root of the GPS itself. I have also tried placing the maps files on the root directory of both the SD card and GPS. I was told that I needed to have the GPS set to Hybrid mode to view the satellite images, but again, to no avail.

Any advice or instructions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Rich Peace

Hi all, I am a new GPS users and recently purchased and Endura Safari by Lowrance. I tried to get a few maps from mapselect.com but I am having trouble viewing the maps on my GPS. Has anyone has any experience with mapselect.com. I have tried creating the folder called "RasterMaps" on both a MicroSD card as well as the Root of the GPS itself. I have also tried placing the maps files on the root directory of both the SD card and GPS. I was told that I needed to have the GPS set to Hybrid mode to view the satellite images, but again, to no avail.

Thanks,

Rich Peace

Hey Rich,

I am not sure what is going on but I want to see if we can get this resolved. It sounds like you are doing everything correctly but it is not working.

Are you just trying to download satellite images or are your downloading both topo and satellite for the same area? If you are downloading both types the unit will only show the first images it finds, which would be the topo images.

If you want to send me your phone number and a time to contact you via a PM, I will get this worked out for you.

I am having the same problem.I tried everything,and still no map.I only d-loaded a single imagery map.my unit is updated and all.Have you figured out the problem EnduraExpert?I called cs but was on hold for about 45 min, and gave up.Any help appreciated.

Yes, we have figured out the problem and it has been resolved. There was a problem on the server that we use to provide the imagery, it was giving out the wrong maps.

All new downloads as of last Monday should be working just fine. When did you download the maps? If you want to contact me via a PM we can get this resloved.

Update:My unit would still not display map after much help from EnduraExpert.I was very surprised by the level of support I recieved from Lawrance.They even called me at my home and walked me through the map install process to make sure I did it properly.But still no go.I was informed it would need to be shipped back.Within 24 hours a rep called with the shipping info..nice..EnduraExpert also told me they would give me a few free map downloads for my trouble.Sounds fair to me.Its too snowy here to do anything anyways.So far I must say that this has been a painless experience dealing with Lowrance.Nice to see someone here that was quick to contact me with help.Keeps me assured that they care about their products as well as their customers.I will update this again when my unit returnes.I hope it is soon,the snow is melting!!

Glad to hear the issue is supposed to be resolved. After opening this thread, I received a call back from Lowrance support and was told that there was a known issue. That being the case, I left things be, and with the nasty weather being what it was this winter I have not thought about getting out for a month or so. It just dawned on me suddenly I never heard back from Lowrance so I thought I'd jump on here and check for any new info.

EnduraExpert, thanks for your willingness to assist and sorry for not responding to your original post. I will try to re-download the maps tonight and see if everything is working. If not, are you still willing to assist?

Glad to hear the issue is supposed to be resolved. After opening this thread, I received a call back from Lowrance support and was told that there was a known issue. That being the case, I left things be, and with the nasty weather being what it was this winter I have not thought about getting out for a month or so. It just dawned on me suddenly I never heard back from Lowrance so I thought I'd jump on here and check for any new info.

EnduraExpert, thanks for your willingness to assist and sorry for not responding to your original post. I will try to re-download the maps tonight and see if everything is working. If not, are you still willing to assist?

I am always willing to help out, just let me know what you need.

OK...I hope that this will help others resolve their issues.

Concerning my issue, I was using an 8GB microSD card. While there was not necessarily a problem with the microSD card, Lowrance products can only use memory cards formatted with a FAT16 formatting type. The max size of a FAT16 formatted partition is 4GB...so in my case, the 8GB card that I was using was never going to work.

By default most microSD cards are going to come formatted as a FAT32 or NTFS file format. This means that they are not going to work without being re-formatted. I don't know if there is a better way to get around this other than re-formatting the card, or if Lowrance will support other file formats in the future.

Keep in mind, I am basing my findings off a few things, a new 4GB card that I purchased still would not work until it was formatted to FAT16 file formatting, as well as an article I found on Lowrance's website informing their users that FAT32 and NTFS will not work with their units.

EnduraExpert, thank you again for your willingness to help. It is hard to find good customer service these days for electronic goods. So I feel good knowing that I own a product made by a stand up company. In the end, had I just done a little more research I would have most likely figured this out a long time ago. I guess I had better start reading the documentation that comes with my toys from now on.

Here is the document from Lowrance's website that led me to my findings.

http://www.lowrance.com/en/Support/Product...-Guide/Mapping/

Thanks,

Rich Peace

Concerning my issue, I was using an 8GB microSD card. While there was not necessarily a problem with the microSD card, Lowrance products can only use memory cards formatted with a FAT16 formatting type. The max size of a FAT16 formatted partition is 4GB...so in my case, the 8GB card that I was using was never going to work.

By default most microSD cards are going to come formatted as a FAT32 or NTFS file format. This means that they are not going to work without being re-formatted. I don't know if there is a better way to get around this other than re-formatting the card, or if Lowrance will support other file formats in the future.

Keep in mind, I am basing my findings off a few things, a new 4GB card that I purchased still would not work until it was formatted to FAT16 file formatting, as well as an article I found on Lowrance's website informing their users that FAT32 and NTFS will not work with their units.

EnduraExpert, thank you again for your willingness to help. It is hard to find good customer service these days for electronic goods. So I feel good knowing that I own a product made by a stand up company. In the end, had I just done a little more research I would have most likely figured this out a long time ago. I guess I had better start reading the documentation that comes with my toys from now on.

Thanks,

Rich Peace

It appears the support document you reference is related to SD and MMC cards. The microSD cards are to be formatted in either FAT or FAT32. ( Support page link ) The 2G microSD card I use for my Mapselect topographic maps is the same one I used for my software updates. If is factory FAT formatted and works fine.

Edited by Indotguy

Correct. The units will read a FAT32 format for updating, but will not read maps. I did a lot of testing last night after posting, and I am certain that the problem I was having was strictly related to the format type on my memory cards. Chachi....did you ever get your GPS working yet?

I think fat32 only will work in"updating",not for loading maps as I read it.Fat file system is the only one for maps.Once again"as I read it".

Gentlemen,

Thanks for all your info on this so far and for sending the one unit back in for analysis. We are investigating this right now and will post updated information as soon as we can. Give us a couple days as we will probably need to pull in a couple of other people for specific support and will need to work with their availability.

If for some reason you have any questions on this, feel free to PM me directly or post back to this thread.

Thanks,

Endura Expert

Update..EnduraExpert e-mailed me and indicated they could not get the maps to work on my GPS.So it appears they are going to send me a new unit out this week.Works for me..but sure wish I had it NOW!!lol..

Ask him if they'd mind overnighting it to you for your inconvenience? It's the least they can do for the lost time ... And it can't hurt to ask.

Be safe.

N

Update..EnduraExpert e-mailed me and indicated they could not get the maps to work on my GPS.So it appears they are going to send me a new unit out this week.Works for me..but sure wish I had it NOW!!lol..

Ask him if they'd mind overnighting it to you for your inconvenience? It's the least they can do for the lost time ... And it can't hurt to ask.

Be safe.

N

A replacement Endura Out&Back is shipping out today via UPS NDA. Let's hope the weather stays nice so that you can get out and use it this weekend.

EnduraExpert just e-mailed me and a new GPS in in the mail.Sweet!Even gave me 6 free maps from mapselect for my trouble.I cant say enough about Lowrance customer service and EnduraExpert.They stayed in contact and kept me informed about everything.It feels very reassuring to have a company go out of its way to fix a problem with a product,and actually put the customer first.They are definitely the model for business.Thank you EnduraExpert and Lowrance.

Be safe.

N

A replacement Endura Out&Back is shipping out today via UPS NDA. Let's hope the weather stays nice so that you can get out and use it this weekend.

Not shipped NDA,but ground.Oh well,its on its way.Should be here monday or tuesday.I want to get out and cache!!

Be safe.

N

Not shipped NDA,but ground.Oh well,its on its way.Should be here monday or tuesday.I want to get out and cache!!

Chachi,

Sorry about the shipping mess up, I asked CS to make sure it shipped out NDA, the order was written up as NDA then shipping goes ahead and sends it ground. I have a little gift in the mail for you.

Once again Sorry,

EnduraExpert

Be safe.

N

Chachi,

Sorry about the shipping mess up, I asked CS to make sure it shipped out NDA, the order was written up as NDA then shipping goes ahead and sends it ground. I have a little gift in the mail for you.

Once again Sorry,

EnduraExpert

No big deal.My wife says I am worse than a kid when it comes to patience.I have to agree.And a gift?Gotta go..getting my lawn chair and setting up camp by the mailbox! snail-mail..arrgh!

Final update:I received my new Out&Back yesterday.The GPS works great!They gave me 6 free maps to download and they worked perfect the first try.EnduraExpert also sent me a free lanyard,and a very nice one at that.I cant say enough about how great EnduraExpert and Lowrance have been with my issue.Great communication,shipping,customer support.They always kept in constant contact with me about my unit.Thats how business should be done.Thank you EnduraExpert and Lowrance. :)

I can't get Mapselect maps to load even after following the suggestions and steps mentioned above. I downloaded 4 topo tiles and nothing works. I guess I don't have to tell anyone here how frustrating this is.

2GB MicroSD, Latest Firmware, SD formatted in FAT16

Edited by yogazoo

I can't get Mapselect maps to load even after following the suggestions and steps mentioned above. I downloaded 4 topo tiles and nothing works. I guess I don't have to tell anyone here how frustrating this is.

2GB MicroSD, Latest Firmware, SD formatted in FAT16

Take out the sd card and plug in the unit into your pc.Drag and drop,or copy and paste the map files into the endura root directory.that works for me.remember to select the map you want to view on the menu.base map,imagry,hybrid ect.let me know how that works.

Did you "unzip"the maps?

Edited by chachi44089

Well folks I'm left speechless at the level of customer service from Lowrance. EnduraExpert actually called me on the telephone to resolve an issue I was having with Mapselect Raster Maps. Go ahead, wait for a call from some of the "other" manufacturers to address anything. <_< I know there is some great customer service from a few of the manufacturers but I personally have not experienced anything like this.

It turned out that I was naming the folder on my SD card "Maps" instead of "RasterMaps". Ahh, if only I would have read the instructions. :laughing:

Anyway, thanks EnduraExpert for everything! Looking forward to using the Aerial Images on my Out&Back!

Edited by yogazoo

Thanks,

Rich Peace

Hey Rich,

I am not sure what is going on but I want to see if we can get this resolved. It sounds like you are doing everything correctly but it is not working.

Are you just trying to download satellite images or are your downloading both topo and satellite for the same area? If you are downloading both types the unit will only show the first images it finds, which would be the topo images.

If you want to send me your phone number and a time to contact you via a PM, I will get this worked out for you.

I downloaded some sat images today and they won't display on my Out and Back. Since reading this thread by EnduraExpert I think I know why. I already have topo images for the same area. Am I correct in presuming I will need to load the sat images on a separate card?

Thanks,

Rich Peace

Hey Rich,

I downloaded some sat images today and they won't display on my Out and Back. Since reading this thread by EnduraExpert I think I know why. I already have topo images for the same area. Am I correct in presuming I will need to load the sat images on a separate card?

Thats correct. Redundant areas won't be viewable and will need to be dumped to a different card.

N

Thanks,

Rich Peace

Hey Rich,

Thats correct. Redundant areas won't be viewable and will need to be dumped to a different card.

N

Or, rather than invest in a new card, could I temporarily move the duplicate topo files out of the "Rastermaps" file and paste them in another part of the card?

Thanks,

Rich Peace

Hey Rich,

N

Or, rather than invest in a new card, could I temporarily move the duplicate topo files out of the "Rastermaps" file and paste them in another part of the card?

I would think so. Perhaps a "Misc. Imagery" folder heading. lol.

Definitely wouldn't hurt to try. Let us know how you make out.

Be safe.

N

Thanks,

Rich Peace

Hey Rich,

N

Update - It worked. I used my old Dell Axim to cut and paste the topo map file from the "Rastermaps" directory to the root of the microSD. Once the card was replaced in the Out and Back the aerial map of the region in question was displayed. Finally, I cut and pasted the topo map back into the directory and all is well.

Update - It worked. I used my old Dell Axim to cut and paste the topo map file from the "Rastermaps" directory to the root of the microSD. Once the card was replaced in the Out and Back the aerial map of the region in question was displayed. Finally, I cut and pasted the topo map back into the directory and all is well.

Excellent feedback!

Hmmm. Wonder if you could use an additional folder in the "RasterMaps" folder for the odd map files that you don't want to see to maintain some sort of file management rather than going back out to the root directory.

Thanks Indy, appreciate the update!

N

Excellent feedback!

Hmmm. Wonder if you could use an additional folder in the "RasterMaps" folder for the odd map files that you don't want to see to maintain some sort of file management rather than going back out to the root directory.

N

That would probably work and might be a good idea if there were other map files on the root. I don't have any other files on the root directory of my Map microSD card nor do I plan on moving these very often (Keeping the file names straight could be a problem if it involved many quads). Most of the time I'll rely on the topos but it is nice to know I can switch them in the field if necessary by using my PPC.

Edited by Indotguy

Excellent feedback!

N

That would probably work and might be a good idea if there were other map files on the root. I don't have any other files on the root directory of my Map microSD card nor do I plan on moving these very often (Keeping the file names straight could be a problem if it involved many quads). Most of the time I'll rely on the topos but it is nice to know I can switch them in the field if necessary by using my PPC.

I am glad to see that you were able to get this figured out. You will need to be careful where you place the map images that you are using. If they are placed directly on the root of the microSD card or the internal memory Endura will find them. They can also be placed in a folder named "RasterMaps" either on the microSd card or internal memory. Any other place and Endura will not find them.

We are planning on adding a feature to a future release that will allow you to select which images you want to display and you will also be able to see an outline of the imagery on the basemap.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Thanks,

EnduraExpert

Excellent feedback!

N

I am glad to see that you were able to get this figured out. You will need to be careful where you place the map images that you are using. If they are placed directly on the root of the microSD card or the internal memory Endura will find them. They can also be placed in a folder named "RasterMaps" either on the microSd card or internal memory. Any other place and Endura will not find them.

We are planning on adding a feature to a future release that will allow you to select which images you want to display and you will also be able to see an outline of the imagery on the basemap.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Thanks,

EnduraExpert

The work-around worked but was obviously somewhat of a hassle. The update features you describe will be a definite mapping plus.

Thanks EE

Reading this forum is like a breath of fresh air. Another forum I tried asking advice on was downright rude.

I received my Endura Safari about a week ago and performed the three updates. I have been searching the internet trying to resolve this same issue. I have not taken the steps to correct mine yet, but I am sure I know what the issue is now. Where exactly did you see the instructions for labeling folders as rastermaps, etc?

I have several small questions that I have been trying to figure out, but dont seem to be located anywhere in the manual or internet. Is this the proper thread to post them, or should I start a new one for misc. questions?

Edited by texas republic

Reading this forum is like a breath of fresh air. Another forum I tried asking advice on was downright rude.

I received my Endura Safari about a week ago and performed the three updates. I have been searching the internet trying to resolve this same issue. I have not taken the steps to correct mine yet, but I am sure I know what the issue is now. Where exactly did you see the instructions for labeling folders as rastermaps, etc?

I have several small questions that I have been trying to figure out, but dont seem to be located anywhere in the manual or internet. Is this the proper thread to post them, or should I start a new one for misc. questions?

I believe the information on setting up and naming the folders for MapSelect maps is displayed on the MapSelect site. I recall seeing instructions during the map download/install process.

I would recommend asking your questions on this thread first. If you get no response in a day or two start a new topic.

I believe the information on setting up and naming the folders for MapSelect maps is displayed on the MapSelect site. I recall seeing instructions during the map download/install process.

I would recommend asking your questions on this thread first. If you get no response in a day or two start a new topic.

Texas Republic-

The instructions for naming the folders and where to place your maps are on the MapSelect.com website. They are also at the very bottom of the email that you should have rec'd from MapSelect.com advising you that your maps are ready for download. You would also be able to find these instructions in the FAQ section for Endura at www.lowrance.com.

I have sent your a response to your PM and we can talk about this later today at your leasure.

I want to make a special effort to compliment Lowrance on the spectacular service in customer support that I recently received. No other GPS product that I have owned in the past has put forth this level of effort.

A few weeks ago, I purchased one of Lowrance’s new handheld GPS units, the Endura Safari. My support issue began after I downloaded a topographic map from Mapselect’s website. Even though I seemed to be following the instructions correctly, the topographic maps were not being properly displayed on my unit. Hoping to troubleshoot the problem myself, I became a member of the Groundspeak Forums. After performing many of the listed solutions listed here without any success, I posted a forum reply outlining my own unique set of facts to my problem.

The quick response and quality of support that I received from “EnduraExpert” went far beyond anything I was expecting. Not only did EnduraExpert immediately reply to my posting with several potential solutions to resolve my issue, he also sent me a forum email offering additional phone support in case the issue was not yet resolved. It is hard to find that level of service anywhere, especially when it is free of charge. Later that same day, I received a telephone call from EnduraExpert. We quickly determined that the issue was with my registered account with Navico, and not the unit itself. Having a technical support matter resolved so quickly for once was like a breath of fresh air. However, it did not end there. To show Lowrance’s appreciation towards my purchase, EnduraExpert also provided me with 5 free maps of my choice from MapSelect. Regardless of what line of GPS products you prefer, resolving a customer support issue in less than four hours and being provided with free maps to show your value as a customer wins every time in my book. Lowrance has found itself an excellent employee in EnduraExpert, and will continue to have my business while they provide this level of customer satisfaction. :rolleyes:

Thanks,

Rich Peace

Rich Pease,

I wanted to let you know that I have just finished some testing using a Kingston 8GB microSD card formatted in FAT32. I was able to get the MapSelect eTopo imagery to display without any issues. I used a 2GB FAT32 Sandisk card as my control.

I am not sure why it would not work for you but I wanted to let you know that I was able to get it to work. I have also tested a 4GB PNY card in FAT32 and it also worked.

I was told that several of the Accuterra mapping cards are 8GB FAT32.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

I have been having a similar issue with my Endura Out&Back. I downloaded some topo maps from MapSelect, made sure my MicroSD card was properly formatted, unzipped the files directly into a folder labeled RasterMaps on my 4GB MicroSD, made sure that the contour lines were set to "all" and the detail level was set to "high", set my view mode to hybrid, zoomed into .3 miles...and saw no contour lines. I called up customer support, but the person I talked to said that it sounded like I was doing everything correctly and had no answers for me. I have also tried putting the files on the root menu of the MicroSD, but had no luck. The card talks to the device just fine(it is able to pull gpx and loc files off of it) and when I insert the card while the GPS is on, the GPS says "loading map data" and then "map data loaded" however there is no change to the appearance of the map. I am feeling pretty frustrated by this and could really use some assistance.

This is crazy but I can't get my mapselect to work on my safari. I logged on to mapselect, and selected an area right by my house and purchased two smaller maps ($1.98). I can't get either of these to work on my Safari. The Safari is brand new, just received it a couple of weeks ago. I like my unit, but it is the third Safari I have had in the past year. The other two were replaced due to internal electrical faults. I can say Lowrance is good at getting them in and honoring the warranty. I would like to be able to load the maps and use them. Also, there aren't any good advanced instruction manuals that I am aware of. I would like to be able to take advantage of many features that I don't know about.