Letter boX cache

Please someone explain this to me

from the guidelines

Letterboxing is another form of treasure hunting that uses clues to direct hunters to a hidden container. Each letterbox contains a stamp which is the signature for that box. Most letterboxers have their own personal stamps and personal logbooks. They stamp the letterbox logbook with their personal stamp, and use the stamp contained in the letterbox to "sign" their personal logbook.

Letterbox hybrids are a mixture of letterbox and geocache. They should contain a signature stamp that stays with the box, and they must conform to the guidelines for geocaches and therefore must contain a logbook and involve GPS use as an integral part of the hunt. A letterbox hybrid cannot be designed to be found using only clues. Whether or not the letterbox hybrid contains trade items is up to the owner. In most cases personal stamp and personal logbook are not necessary to be a seeker of a letterbox hybrid.

For more info on letterboxing see letterbox.org.

Edited by jholly

To put it in a nutshell:

A multi-cache where the GPS (due to the guidelines) has to be used as well, but the rest is usually done by clues. Those clues are like: walk 35 paces 340° and turn left at the whatsoever.

Letterboxing uses paces, bearings and lots of other fun stuff. It is fair to explain somewhere what you mean with a pace. This can be done by giving a reference distance. From the okay to the next oak those 100 Meters are 57 paces or so. Just be creative.

The big difference between a letterbox-hybrid geocache and a "normal" letterbox is that the geocache requires the use of a GPSr, otherwise it probably won't be published.

Even if it is not absolutely necessary for a letterbox-hybrid geocache it's kind of expected that you provide a stamp in the stash which has to do something with the topic of the letterbox.

GermanSailor

A multi-cache where the GPS (due to the guidelines) has to be used as well, but the rest is usually done by clues. Those clues are like: walk 35 paces 340° and turn left at the whatsoever.

Letterboxing uses paces, bearings and lots of other fun stuff. It is fair to explain somewhere what you mean with a pace. This can be done by giving a reference distance. From the okay to the next oak those 100 Meters are 57 paces or so. Just be creative.

The big difference between a letterbox-hybrid geocache and a "normal" letterbox is that the geocache requires the use of a GPSr, otherwise it probably won't be published.

Even if it is not absolutely necessary for a letterbox-hybrid geocache it's kind of expected that you provide a stamp in the stash which has to do something with the topic of the letterbox.

GermanSailor

It's been said a few times here on the forums by reviewers and TPTB, that the single defining feature of a Letterbox Hybrid is the presence of a "letterbox" stamp.

Letterbox Hybrids need not be multi-stage caches, need not include clues to the location. Letterbox Hybrids, to my understanding, must contain a stamp to be categorized correctly.

You are absolutely correct about the use of a GPSr as being a requirement.

EDIT: Addendum: You may find Letterbox Hybrids that sometimes seem to not adhere to statements I'm made above- I certainly have. Sometimes these are older caches, sometimes they are edited after publication, sometimes they slip through the cracks, and sometimes one reviewer may interpret the guidelines differently. But the above is what I've read on these forums more than once and will most likely be the criteria for publishing new Letterbox Hybrids.

Edited by Castle Mischief

In short it is both a letterbox and a geocache. It's not necessarly a geocache that is found using letterbox like clues. It can be, but the pont is for people to hide containers that are available to both letterboxers and geocachers, not to give geocachers a letterboxing-like experience (which is what many people seem to believe)

It's been said a few times here on the forums by reviewers and TPTB, that the single defining feature of a Letterbox Hybrid is the presence of a "letterbox" stamp.

Let me quote the guidelines on Letterbox-Hybrid geocaches.

Letterbox Hybrid

Letterboxing is another form of treasure hunting that uses clues to direct hunters to a hidden container. Each letterbox contains a stamp which is the signature for that box. Most letterboxers have their own personal stamps and personal logbooks. They stamp the letterbox logbook with their personal stamp, and use the stamp contained in the letterbox to "sign" their personal logbook.

Letterbox hybrids are a mixture of letterbox and geocache. They should contain a signature stamp that stays with the box, and they must conform to the guidelines for geocaches and therefore must contain a logbook and involve GPS use as an integral part of the hunt. A letterbox hybrid cannot be designed to be found using only clues. Whether or not the letterbox hybrid contains trade items is up to the owner. In most cases personal stamp and personal logbook are not necessary to be a seeker of a letterbox hybrid.

This might be my false understanding of the English language, but should contain doesn't mean to me that it is a requirement. Please correct me if I'm wrong here.

For me a requirement would be "has to" or "must contain".

I'm really interested now in the opinion of the native speakers.

But, it's for sure that the community expects a stamp. Especially the original letterboxing folk, who converted to geocaching get pissed of if there is no stamp.

GermanSailor

In clarifying the guidelines, here in the forums and elsewhere, it has been stated that a geocache/letterbox hybrid must have a stamp. If not for the stamp, a GC/LB hybrid would be no different from other types of caches, be they multi, puzzle, or traditional. This is why a stamp is required.

I believe the usage of "should" means that the stamp should be there when you look for such a cache, but there is always the distinct possibility that it is missing. One reason letterboxers sometimes look down on geocachers is because cachers have been known to trade the letterbox stamp for a McDonald's toy. :)

The requirement or suggestion that a letterbox hybrid have a stamp is up to the cache hider. Guidelines state that it should have a stamp. Doesn't say it must. The problem is the hider can say it's got a stamp to the reviewer, but unless the reviewer goes out there, the reviewer doesn't know whether the cache has a stamp or not.

I've found 7 "Hybrid" caches. Only three are what I would consider real letterbox hybrids, because those had stamps. The other four hybrids weren't even large enough to hold a stamp so they shouldn't have been listed as a letterbox hybrid in the first place.

Letterbox Hybrids need not be multi-stage caches, need not include clues to the location. Letterbox Hybrids, to my understanding, must contain a stamp to be categorized correctly.

You are absolutely correct about the use of a GPSr as being a requirement.

Thank you for this excellent, accurate summary.

The requirement or suggestion that a letterbox hybrid have a stamp is up to the cache hider. Guidelines state that it should have a stamp. Doesn't say it must. The problem is the hider can say it's got a stamp to the reviewer, but unless the reviewer goes out there, the reviewer doesn't know whether the cache has a stamp or not.

I've found 7 "Hybrid" caches. Only three are what I would consider real letterbox hybrids, because those had stamps. The other four hybrids weren't even large enough to hold a stamp so they shouldn't have been listed as a letterbox hybrid in the first place.

I think some COs just want the letterbox cache type in their repository of cache hides, i.e. they don't really understand what a letterbox is but would like the envelope icon in their list of different cache hides.

Some COs think that if you ask cachers to use a stamp when signing the paper log then it's a letterbox hybrid. Some think if you use directions to the cache (an offset) then it's a letterbox hybrid.

Personally, I would like to see the guidelines change the word "should" to "must".

They should must contain a signature stamp that stays with the box. [And then add for emphasis:] Do not trade the letterbox's stamp for a trinket.

Personally, I would like to see the guidelines change the word "should" to "must".

They should must contain a signature stamp that stays with the box. [And then add for emphasis:] Do not trade the letterbox's stamp for a trinket.

Or maybe:

They When placing the cache, the cache should must contain a signature stamp that stays with the box. [And then add for emphasis:] Finders should not trade the letterbox's stamp for a trinket.

As previously stated, this is not supported by the reviewers that have commented on this subject in the recent past. The existence of Letterbox Hybrids that do not contain stamps can be explained, but do not set precedence for future hides.

As for the guidelines, I read "should contain a stamp" much as I would read "car should contain gas- if you want to drive it down the road".

from the guidelines

For more info on letterboxing see letterbox.org.

It seems that letterbox.org is an unregistered domain. Is it .com or .net?

It seems that letterbox.org is an unregistered domain. Is it .com or .net?

That should be www.letterboxing.org

Also, have a look at http://www.atlasquest.com It's a great letterboxing website, lots of information, lots of bells & whistles in terms of website technical enhancements (letterboxing.org is quite low-tech) and a nice letterboxing community feel to it.

You might want to start at the "About Letterboxing" page: http://www.atlasquest.com/about/

The requirement or suggestion that a letterbox hybrid have a stamp is up to the cache hider. Guidelines state that it should have a stamp. Doesn't say it must

If there is no stamp then it's not a letterbox, so it is impossible for it to be a letterbox hybrid. Period. I think most reviewers will tell you that you need a stamp for it to be listed as a letterbox hybrid, because without a stamp it is just a geocache.

I think some COs just want the letterbox cache type in their repository of cache hides, i.e. they don't really understand what a letterbox is but would like the envelope icon in their list of different cache hides.

Absolutely. I have not found yet what I consider to be a real, as intended, letterbox hybrid. Less than half of the 14 I've found contained a stamp, and they were store bought in every case.

Well, that certainly would have taken care of the micro (matchstick container) letterbox hybrid that was published in my State about a month or two ago. :D

Absolutely. I have not found yet what I consider to be a real, as intended, letterbox hybrid. Less than half of the 14 I've found contained a stamp, and they were store bought in every case.

This annoys me a lot, especially when the store bought stamp has nothing to do with the location or the theme. For instance, the cache is called "Teddy Bears Picnic Letterbox Hybrid" and the stamp is a dollar store Mickey Mouse stamp. What's the point? Why do that? It even feels a little insulting - like throwing the letterbox finder a bone. "Give it to Mikey, he'll eat anything."

We have 8 letterbox hybrid hides. Six are also listed on letterboxing.org. A couple are fairly typical, listed coordinate caches, one is obtainable by finding two others, and the last few I've placed are true letterbox style hunts, with coordinates to a starting point, then directions to find the cache. Any new ones we put out will all be of this type.

All but one have stamps I have handcarved that relate to the cache. The one store bought one fits the cache theme. Someone took the original. We have had two handcarved stamps taken, which might explain why many letterbox hybrid placers opt to put in whatever was on sale on the clearance rack. Many letterbox hybrids we've found (we're currently at 84) have had the stamps go missing. I can't recall this ever happening with any of the "pure" letterboxes I've found, so I can only guess that cachers don't always understand what they're finding (even though I write right on the stamp 'please do NOT take').

Edited by Trekkin' and birdin'

Curious. I've found six letterbox hybrids. All of them had a hand crafted stamp.

Well, that certainly would have taken care of the micro (matchstick container) letterbox hybrid that was published in my State about a month or two ago. :D

Then you should travel downstate, and visit my micro letterbox hybrid. :rolleyes: Two micro containers. One for the log, and one for the stamp. The curious thing is that I've had to replace the stamp four times! (Hand carved each time.) But I've only had to replace the log container once.

Then you should travel downstate, and visit my micro letterbox hybrid. :rolleyes: Two micro containers. One for the log, and one for the stamp. The curious thing is that I've had to replace the stamp four times! (Hand carved each time.) But I've only had to replace the log container once.

I've planted (on our team account) 17 letterboxes, all handcarved stamps. Only once in 7 years has a stamp been traded out. I contacted the geocacher and he personally delivered the stamp to me. I believe that my mistake with that box/cache was that I didn't put a note in the box explaining what a letterbox is. I normally put this business card in the cache:

box-note-do-not-trade-large.gif

I got lazy with that box and didn't add the note. I also write with a fine-tip sharpie on the back of the stamp: "Not a trade item. Leave in box." Again, I got lazy and didn't write the note on the back of the stamp. Still, it ended very well because I got the stamp back.

I've never lost a stamp because of a trade before or after that mishap and I think it's because I add the note to the box.