Do I need to print the cache information?

happydutch

Hi all I am new to geocaching, and found my first 4 last 2 days. It's been a fun start!

One thing I noticed is that it is a bit of a hassle to print out the information of the caches (I search only traditional caches).

Is there a better way to do this, short from buying a GPS that can display that info? (I own a eTrex Legend HCx). Does the paid membership help out here?

Do I need that info anyway???? Do you take the cache info with you or skip that step? I could have found the last caches probably without the paperwork but since I am new to this I may just have been lucky.

Thanks!

Hi all I am new to geocaching, and found my first 4 last 2 days. It's been a fun start!

One thing I noticed is that it is a bit of a hassle to print out the information of the caches (I search only traditional caches).

Is there a better way to do this, short from buying a GPS that can display that info? (I own a eTrex Legend HCx). Does the paid membership help out here?

Do I need that info anyway???? Do you take the cache info with you or skip that step? I could have found the last caches probably without the paperwork but since I am new to this I may just have been lucky.

Thanks!

Yes premium membership helps. Without buying a new paperless capable GPS consider a $25 palm M500 from ebay. You can then use spinner/pucker for free or cachemate for $10. To manage the PQ's and loading the units consider EasyGPS or GSAK.

link1

link2

link3

link4

Jim

Thanks!

Yes premium membership helps. Without buying a new paperless capable GPS consider a $25 palm M500 from ebay. You can then use spinner/pucker for free or cachemate for $10. To manage the PQ's and loading the units consider EasyGPS or GSAK.

link1

link2

link3

link4

Jim

Thank you Jim for the quick answer! Looks like there are some good options. I was considering getting a PN-40 in addition to the HCx but it seems that is a bit wasteful now.

The term you're looking for if you want to do a search is "paperless", and there are multiple ways to achieve that. You can even do it on your Legend HCx, kinda-sorta, by loading the geocaches in as custom POI. There's a GSAK macro for that. But you'll need premium membership to populate GSAK. I wouldn't recommend the custom POI route with the eTrex or GPSMap series - I find it too cumbersome. Custom POI on the Nuvi - now, that's a fantastic solution.

It all depends how serious you're going to be with this hobby, how many geocaches can you conveniently find in your area, etc.

Edited by Chrysalides

Short of buying a brand new GPS, if all you're doing is printing out the caches, and if you have a phone or device that works with it, consider another method: Evernote.

They have a PC and Mac application that you can simply copy and paste the geocache info to, and depending on what phone (or other device) you have, you can sync notes to it over the internet. So as long as you copy anything you need (coords, description, hint, etc), it should be pretty decent.

Right now, it works with the iPhone, iPod touch, Android, Blackberry, Palm Pre, and I think some other devices too. And it's free for a basic account (40MB/month) which is always a bonus. ;)

The cache description often contains critical information like "Stay out of the flowerbed" or "No climbing required" so yeah, you need that info anyway. I can cite several instances when I've arrived at a GZ to find trampled foliage and other damage that was clearly warned against in the description and the only plausible reason I can think of is people caching with coordinates only.

Put another way, that "info" can not only help you find a cache, but it can also help you find it without giving geocaching a black eye.

Pete

Do I need that info anyway?
The cache description often contains critical information like "Stay out of the flowerbed" or "No climbing required" so yeah, you need that info anyway.

These are good and true points. However for those that are infrequent "on the go" cachers with geo-ethics of keeping our land safe, I would say that if you search for a particular type of cache* with pocket queries, in 99.9% of the time, you'd be OK searching for a cache with nothing more than the coordinates. Whether or not you NEED the information would be up to you and how you cache.

================================

*If you choose only traditional caches and not unknown, multis, etc., the coordinates should lead you to the container. I also spin my icons on my Garmin 76Cs so that regular and large caches show as "City Medium" and micros show up as "City Small" (see example below). That way since I'm loading mostly traditionals into the GPS I also know what size container I'm looking for. The only things I don't know are "extras" like hints, logs, etc. and the other possibly pertinent information mentioned above by Curioddity.

05dc917f-bf31-4c25-990a-e481c31e7d43.jpg

To me it kinda boils down to how many caches I am going for on a particular outing.

10 or less, I use GSAK's condensed print, more, I use a Palm M505 loaded with the caches downloaded from the site via a PQ and into GSAK.

If you are going to be a fairly active cacher, then I would recommend becoming a premium member, get yourself either a GPSr that does paperless or a cheapo Palm, get GSAK.

That's about all you are going to need to handle your paper yes or no issue.

Good to know about the M5xx series Palm having a use in Geocaching. I'm pretty sure I have one rattling around the house somewhere and if it still works properly, would it be an appropriate thing to trade in a cache? It's not new but it is not shabby either (Makes note to self to look for the cable and charger tomorrow, and try to find nearby cache that's not soggy).

I am using my iPhone for the paperless aspect, because it's easier to read the descriptions there than on my GPSr. Also, if I am not well prepared in advance, I can find nearby caches 'on the fly' and type the coordinates into my GPSr.

Good to know about the M5xx series Palm having a use in Geocaching. I'm pretty sure I have one rattling around the house somewhere and if it still works properly, would it be an appropriate thing to trade in a cache? It's not new but it is not shabby either (Makes note to self to look for the cable and charger tomorrow, and try to find nearby cache that's not soggy).

I am using my iPhone for the paperless aspect, because it's easier to read the descriptions there than on my GPSr. Also, if I am not well prepared in advance, I can find nearby caches 'on the fly' and type the coordinates into my GPSr.

BTW, in addition to GSAK, you'll need a Palm app. Lots of cachers use Cachemate.

http://www.smittyware.com/palm/cachemate/

$8.00....................sweetness. ;-)

OP, do you own a Nuvi?

My wife has one and would not be very appreciative if I lift it from her car.

However I just found an old iPaq in a box and I thought it was dead but I jolted it to life and installed GpxView on it. I never thought this old item would be of any use and I almost threw it out... I think it's going to be of much use now!

Oh and I am eyeing a DeLorme PN-40 for the longer term. I cannot unload the Garmin though as I travel to Europe and Asia from time to time where I think a PN-40 is not of much use. But I have to contemplate strongly to own 2 very similar GPS'es. Seems like a waste...

And I concluded that geocachers are pretty nice people. Thanks so far for all of the helpful tips!

A lot of people are answering the first part of your question, so I'll answer the second part.

You don't need to need to print the information out and take it along if you're searching for a Traditional cache, but I find doing so helps us stay organized. It tells us what type of container the cache is, hints for finding it and if I have the correct waypoint on the GPS selected. On major geocaching trips that can all get a bit confusing.

If you're searching for a Multi Cache or a Puzzle Cache, you'll most likely need to bring the paperwork along to help solve the puzzle.