FTF Geocacher

Team Idasam

For $8 I can sure try it out too. I can't wait, when I'm in a caching mood and the little one is napping, I find myself pacing the house wishing for geocache reading material (yes, I am that much of a nerd). Yay, something I can curl up in my chair with! I could care less about the name, I am just thrilled they are making a magazine about my favorite hobby. :P

Naw, I think this guy is alright, despite the unfortunate Mag name. Hey, didn't it used to be 9 out of 10 children who didn't like the micros and nanos?

It was 9 of 10...but I found out the tenth kid was actually Bittsen.....so he was removed from the line up. the new tenth kid hates em. A perfect 10.

:P

For $8 I can sure try it out too. I can't wait, when I'm in a caching mood and the little one is napping, I find myself pacing the house wishing for geocache reading material (yes, I am that much of a nerd). Yay, something I can curl up in my chair with! I could care less about the name, I am just thrilled they are making a magazine about my favorite hobby. :P

don;t forget to cancel the "auto-renew". I might have bought it, but do not like my money out of my control...

OK, here it is, my issue is that the name of this magazine promotes or represents one of the worst traits in geocaching overall. There is more negativity and angst in situations with FTF hounds than any other activity in caching. They could have chosen a more positive name, IMHO. However, now that we can ALL have FTF's (first time finding), that makes caching so much less grumpy. (cna you say "so much" and "less" in the same sentence?)

Finally, since the reputation on this magazine is that it is not all about FTF'ers, I have decided to put up or shut up. I just ordered it via PayPal.

WHO-DEY!

Coming up with a good catchy name for a geocaching magazine is just not that hard. Here are a few off the top of my head that are better than "FTF:"

The Ammo Can

5/5

The Tupperware Times

Ground Zero

Satellite Stalker

The Hidey Hole

In Plain Sight

Terrain 5

etc. etc. etc.

The name "FTF" evokes the most unattractive aspects of the hobby.

Those are some pretty funny names. I really like the Satellite Stalker, and The Tupperware Times. :)

Naw, I think this guy is alright, despite the unfortunate Mag name. Hey, didn't it used to be 9 out of 10 children who didn't like the micros and nanos?

It was 9 of 10...but I found out the tenth kid was actually Bittsen.....so he was removed from the line up. the new tenth kid hates em. A perfect 10.

:)

Well my now 10 yr. old is one of them. And he hasn't liked them since he was like 5. A chip of the ol' block, if I don't say so myself. I never asked, but I'm sure he doesn't care about FTF either. :)

Edit to attempt to fix broken quotes.

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel
I got mine today and it had the geocoin and a pathtag since I missed out when I got the first issue! :D

00000100_6203.jpg

I've know of two local cachers here that got this same sweet deal in the mail yesterday and one has a gold seal issue that is trackable. They are both new subscriptions placed after seeing my original issue. I don't expect the extra bells and whistles with the second issue. I would like to recieve it though. I guess new subscribers got first shipments and I'll have to wait a bit longer for my issue :)

I don't understand why people say things like "FTF evokes the most unattractive aspects of the hobby." For some cachers, including me, going for a FTF is fun. Why is it looked at as such a negative? If you don't want to go for FTF's then don't, but why hate on people that like that part of the sport. I just don't get it!

Coming up with a good catchy name for a geocaching magazine is just not that hard. Here are a few off the top of my head that are better than "FTF:"

The Ammo Can

5/5

The Tupperware Times

Ground Zero

Satellite Stalker

The Hidey Hole

In Plain Sight

Terrain 5

etc. etc. etc.

The name "FTF" evokes the most unattractive aspects of the hobby.

Those are some pretty funny names. I really like the Satellite Stalker, and The Tupperware Times. :laughing:

I don't understand why people say things like "FTF evokes the most unattractive aspects of the hobby." For some cachers, including me, going for a FTF is fun. Why is it looked at as such a negative? If you don't want to go for FTF's then don't, but why hate on people that like that part of the sport. I just don't get it!

Read the forums for a while. Then you will get it. There is more angst here over who really got the FTF, people "stealing" FTFs, etc. than any other subject.

That, and many FTF logs are just plain obnoxious. I have no beef with anybody who wants to play the FTF game privately; just don't impose it on the rest of us.

Okay, I got my first issue (March/April) today and I love, love, LOVE it! Best off all because I can curl up in my favorite jammies and read to my hearts content (not the same on the computer). The paper quality is really nice, and the path tag is a great touch. I really love the article on caching with kids (I can SOOOO relate)! Thanks so much to all of those involved with putting out this magazine, and I hope it becomes a real success. :)

Okies...

I read the first issue. I didn't care for it at all. I seemed to lack content. I did not read it before I ordered the next two.

The second issue. Overall I liked it.

Pros: Nice quality with pictures. Variety of different articles. Discovered while geocaching pics are great. :D Nice article about the yearly event in NE Ohio. (This should give others some encouragement to have great events too.)

Cons: Justification! It's tough to read. It doesn't look professional. Toilet art? What does that have to do with caching? Virtuals are a thing of the past. The first issue was cool with a nice cache on the front. Now a toilet seat? Ugh. :) This article about the hints. To me it implied that it is ridiculous to not give a hint. I have no problem with hints but if you use them then the ratings sytems should just be tossed out the window.

Overall I think it is a good start. I look forward to more creative articles and ideas.

I have no beef with anybody who wants to play the FTF game privately; just don't impose it on the rest of us.

Oooo, I like that, I'm going to have to quote you when the next "World Record" holder brag message comes up again in the forums. Power trails and power caching is another annoying caching practice.

Got my copy today! Haven't read it thoroughly yet, but I flipped through it and it looks great. I see substantial contributions from geocachers all over the place, a good mix of serious and light-hearted content, lots of nice pictures, and a big improvement in editing compared to the first issue.

Ottawa geocachers are excited to see our ranks represented two issues in a row - my cookies in the previous issue, and a cameo appearance by model12's personal geocoin in the toilet seat museum article.

I signed up just over a week ago and was shocked to see the magazine in my mailbox this morning. I haven't had the chance to read it yet but looking at the pages it looks great. Very informative and great articles. I really enjoyed seeing a local cacher make it into the magazine. Very happy to be a subscribing member and thanks for the pathtag and sticker.

I think amost no matter what you call it someone is going to cry they don't like it... You can't please everyone...

I've never been 1st or 10th to find a cache and I'm no where near offened or put off by this....

I might have asked this before, any newstands or stores gettng this mag? I'd like to pick up a copy and help support it, but I'm trying not to use C.C. or P.P. anymore....

Okay, I got my first issue (March/April) today and I love, love, LOVE it! Best off all because I can curl up in my favorite jammies and read to my hearts content (not the same on the computer). The paper quality is really nice, and the path tag is a great touch. I really love the article on caching with kids (I can SOOOO relate)! Thanks so much to all of those involved with putting out this magazine, and I hope it becomes a real success. :rolleyes:

Yay I'm glad you liked my caching with kids article :ph34r: Yours is the only feedback I've gotten outside of family hehe. I can't remember if I already shared this here but my kids are newly excited about geocaching b/c I got them each a little flashlight they can use for geocaching at night. They normally never get to be out after dark unless it's to go out for dinner occasionally. My eldest said, "I am liking geocaching more and more". Woohoo!

I loved the story about the toilet seat museum. I'd love to check it out one of these days but it's hard with it being 2 hrs away and the hubby being a muggle. I recognized several local cacher buddies' names on the toilet seat covers pictured :) What a fun idea and how nice he lets people in to his garage to see his museum :ph34r:

Edited by Opalblade

Updating the magazine status – the third of three trial issues has been sent to the printer and we have committed to continued publication beyond the trial period. Issue 3 will mail out in the next couple of weeks. Thanks to all who have supported our up-start magazine start-up!

So I have received my third issue from the trial subscription and I am even more impressed than I was with the other 2 issues. This issue featured some good stories and great perspectives from other cachers that made it an entertaining experience.

What's in a name? Does TIME only talk about clocks? Would you ever question the quality of Apple or Target (or whatever business that has a name that has nothing to do with what it does) based solely on the name? No rational person would bother to do that. Instead you look towards their offerings, if they provide you with a satisfying product then the name becomes (somewhat) irrelevant. Don't stop at the door based on a preconceived idea, go in, take the tour. Then make your personal decision.

What ever the name be I love the mag and it's content and will continue to support it.

Updating the magazine status – the third of three trial issues has been sent to the printer and we have committed to continued publication beyond the trial period. Issue 3 will mail out in the next couple of weeks. Thanks to all who have supported our up-start magazine start-up!

Then would it be too late to change the name? :grin: <== C'mon, just kidding. Congratulations! Great Job. The most successful print Geocaching publication to date.

Once again updating the magazine status. Issue #4 mailed out Wednesday, August 25, and should hit mailboxes over the next week or two depending on the efficiency of the USPS bulk mail department. Production on this issue ran a bit long due to the conversion to a full-color format. Issue #4 features the Necropolis of Britannia Manor III – a multi-stage puzzle cache located in Austin, Texas.

Once again updating the magazine status. Issue #4 mailed out Wednesday, August 25, and should hit mailboxes over the next week or two depending on the efficiency of the USPS bulk mail department. Production on this issue ran a bit long due to the conversion to a full-color format. Issue #4 features the Necropolis of Britannia Manor III – a multi-stage puzzle cache located in Austin, Texas.

Awesome! I've been rushing home to check my mailbox everyday! Thanks again for all the hard work in putting this out!

I couldn't care less what they call the magazine, FTF is just fine with me. It is a great magazine, and it is not about competition, just about geocaching in general with really good pictures and articles. The Editor in Chief, geocacher, author, etc. etc. is also a friend of mine. He is one of the nicest people you would ever meet and a very dedicated cacher. I will subscribe to it regardless of name as long as he will let me.

Aight people, here we go again. This is another attempt at an actual geocaching magazine. First thing; I'm not involved with this magazine in any way. Second, I have been in contact with the publisher and they are very aware of what happened with the first magazine that was supposed to be in print and they don't want to repeat that incident. They are working hard to get this magazine up and running, but it's going take some people that are brave enough and willing, to get this thing going. Here's the link:

FTF Geocacher

I like the Title

I was already disinclined to subscribe because of the name; now that it is clear that the editor can't be bothered to correct misspellings and grammatical errors, any interest I had has vanished completely.

But I assume that it's a great product for those who think of peeling paint as part of the "character" of the Dodge Neon.

It must be hard to be such a grammar nazi that one cannot enjoy what is in general a great product.

Don't waste your time on Fizzy.....he always hs a stick up there.

Lets have a contest for a name all agree on. The prize could be chosen by the publisher.

My entry Urban Geocacher or Urban Geocaching

That sounds great if you are an "Urban" Geocacher, what about the Rural Geocachers and all the beauty of the woods? I think if you examine the content of the mag it quickly establishes that the focus is on all aspects of GCing, not just the one tiny part that tweeks the unsilent minority. Maybe by issue 25 we can put it too rest, lol!

Lets have a contest for a name all agree on. The prize could be chosen by the publisher.

My entry Urban Geocacher or Urban Geocaching

I guess some may see the title, "FTF-Geocacher", and think that it focuses on or features alot of articles on the ftf aspect of geocaching.

Not sure why, but this just never even entered my mind.

However, the title, "Urban Geocacher" or "Urban Geocaching", would immediately indicate to me that it focused on urban caching. I've found some great caches in urban areas but i do have to say that i'm normally not a fan of that type of caching. I would be hesitant to subscribe to it if it had one of those titles...