FTF Geocacher

Team Idasam

The fact that it's commonly used does not make it less offensive and unnecessary in a civilized discussion. There's no reason to fling around names like that over a minor difference in opinion.
Perhaps it doesn't to you, but it does to most of us.

That's truly unfortunate.

Still, it's unnecessary to call people names over something like this.

OK, that does it!! :) No soup for you!!!

Heehee; I love that guy, but do avoid using the term outside of joking around with my hubby or family, just in case it might upset someone.

Careful, now... haven't you already learned your lesson about saying nice, kind, positive things in this thread? You lookin' for trouble? :laughing:

Was over at the magazine site (was pulling the url for sharing in my local geocacher yahoo gp, and to tell them to come take a peek at my trackable magazine at an event tomorrow) and noticed the two following interesting notes on the front page. Figured I'd share since they're relevant to discussions on here.

SOLD OUT (but not in the bad way)

Yes, we've sold out of our initial printing so there are no more copies of the premier issue of FTF Geocacher to be had at any price. Don't miss another issue! Subscribe now (just $8 for the remaining 2 trial issues). Based on the subscriber stories we've received so far, the next issue is going to be even better than the first.

Welcome to the Buy More Now

By popular demand, we now offer a default "Buy Now" button for those who prefer not to sign up for a recurring subscription. We will reinstate the option for recurring subscriptions after the trial period has ended.

Edited by Opalblade

The fact that it's commonly used does not make it less offensive and unnecessary in a civilized discussion. There's no reason to fling around names like that over a minor difference in opinion.

Yeah, that's why I added: Not saying that it's good or bad, just sayin'. :)

:laughing:

OK, that does it!! :laughing: No soup for you!!!

S7S06_The_Soup_Nazi.jpg

Heehee; I love that guy, but do avoid using the term outside of joking around with my hubby or family, just in case it might upset someone.

I don't really get offended when I see people use the term, because I understand how some of those terms get around, like from tv shows and movies, etc. But personally, I'd feel uncomfortable writing it in black and white, and only use it in joking with people close to me. :ph34r:

Edited by Ambrosia

OK, that does it!! :laughing: No soup for you!!!

Careful, now... haven't you already learned your lesson about saying nice, kind, positive things in this thread? You lookin' for trouble? :laughing:

Isn't that a bit of a stretch? :) What people on this forum will do for popcorn...

Was over at the magazine site (was pulling the url for sharing in my local geocacher yahoo gp, and to tell them to come take a peek at my trackable magazine at an event tomorrow) and noticed the two following interesting notes on the front page. Figured I'd share since they're relevant to discussions on here.

SOLD OUT (but not in the bad way)

Yes, we've sold out of our initial printing so there are no more copies of the premier issue of FTF Geocacher to be had at any price. Don't miss another issue! Subscribe now (just $8 for the remaining 2 trial issues). Based on the subscriber stories we've received so far, the next issue is going to be even better than the first.

Welcome to the Buy More Now

By popular demand, we now offer a default "Buy Now" button for those who prefer not to sign up for a recurring subscription. We will reinstate the option for recurring subscriptions after the trial period has ended.

Oh, I'm glad they did that. I didn't mind the subscription thing, but it seemed to be a barrier to people who found it confusing to cancel the renewal.

P.S.-I make no bones about it, being a Life Mensa Member...either you're enthralled or repulsed, I don't care, that's your problem not mine, doesn't matter to me either way...I'll continue being whom I am no matter what you think. All I can say is that I test well, what can you say about your abilities!

:P:):D:blink:;):P:D:):DB):blink:

huh? Where did THAT come from???

he's proving the point that being intelligent doesn't make you smart. Having some tools doesn't make you a mechanic. Being a pedant is often more a curse than a blessing... and cetera :laughing::P

It's fairly common for someone with a combination of a very high IQ, and low self esteem to get rather upset quite easily. Instead of properly recognizing their abilities, they have a tendency to view themselves as "average" and everyone else ( and their errors ) as idiots.

I really don't understand why a missing apostrophy would annoy someone, as long as the message was communicated clearly.

There is a form of idolatry which involves proper spelling and grammar. It seems that there was an ancient attempt at making the numerical value of words have a common value when having similar meanings.

When some people try to absorb writing that is mispelled, it is like running 10 amps of electricity through 5 amps of wiring..

P.S.-I make no bones about it, being a Life Mensa Member...either you're enthralled or repulsed, I don't care, that's your problem not mine, doesn't matter to me either way...I'll continue being whom I am no matter what you think. All I can say is that I test well, what can you say about your abilities!

:P:):D:blink:;):P:D:):DB):blink:

huh? Where did THAT come from???

he's proving the point that being intelligent doesn't make you smart. Having some tools doesn't make you a mechanic. Being a pedant is often more a curse than a blessing... and cetera :laughing::P

It's fairly common for someone with a combination of a very high IQ, and low self esteem to get rather upset quite easily. Instead of properly recognizing their abilities, they have a tendency to view themselves as "average" and everyone else ( and their errors ) as idiots.

I really don't understand why a missing apostrophy would annoy someone, as long as the message was communicated clearly.

There is a form of idolatry which involves proper spelling and grammar. It seems that there was an ancient attempt at making the numerical value of words have a common value when having similar meanings.

When some people try to absorb writing that is mispelled, it is like running 10 amps of electricity through 5 amps of wiring..

Brilliant!

Poor punctuation does interfere with the clarity of a message.

Thanks, narcisstic, you've given us your opinion on the matter ad nauseum. We hear you. While policing our speech you missed 'apostrophy'. You really must do better. :o

I haven't been policing anybody's speech on this forum. If I took it on myself to nitpick everyone's casual writing on every forum I visited, I wouldn't have time to do anything else.

The discussion at hand is about a print magazine. Printed literature that is offered for sale should be held to a higher standard than internet correspondence.

I think it's appalling that you feel it necessary to attack my user name over a minor disagreement.

I think it's appalling that you feel it necessary to attack my user name over a minor disagreement.

No kidding.

I think your user name is quite fitting!!

Because I look like a daffodil?

Um, NO

The girl's name Narcissa \n(a)-rcis sa,

nar-cis sa\ is of Greek origin, and its meaning is "daffodil". Feminine form of Narcisse, which comes from the legend of the beautiful Greek youth who became enamored of his own reflection - hence "narcissism".

Narcissa has 5 variant forms: Narcisa, Narcisse, Narcyssa, Narkissa and Narsissa.

No kidding.

I think your user name is quite fitting!!

Because I look like a daffodil?

Um, NO

The girl's name Narcissa \n(a)-rcis sa,

nar-cis sa\ is of Greek origin, and its meaning is "daffodil". Feminine form of Narcisse, which comes from the legend of the beautiful Greek youth who became enamored of his own reflection - hence "narcissism".

Narcissa has 5 variant forms: Narcisa, Narcisse, Narcyssa, Narkissa and Narsissa.

I really don't see what your point is. Where in this thread have I been exhibiting narcissistic behaviour? I haven't declared myself the sole arbiter of all that is correct, and I haven't held myself up as a paragon of spelling and grammatical virtue. I also haven't "policed" anybody's writing within the thread, though I've been accused of this for no apparent reason.

All I've done is defend my original point, which is that a print magazine ought to be closely edited for grammar, punctuation, and clarity. The fact that this magazine is attempting to reach to an audience that includes "regular folks" who may not read very often makes it even more important that the articles be edited to an appropriate reading level.

I really don't see what your point is. Where in this thread have I been exhibiting narcissistic behaviour? I haven't declared myself the sole arbiter of all that is correct, and I haven't held myself up as a paragon of spelling and grammatical virtue. I also haven't "policed" anybody's writing within the thread, though I've been accused of this for no apparent reason.

All I've done is defend my original point, which is that a print magazine ought to be closely edited for grammar, punctuation, and clarity. The fact that this magazine is attempting to reach to an audience that includes "regular folks" who may not read very often makes it even more important that the articles be edited to an appropriate reading level.

I know you don't see it. That's the point.

And sometimes it helps to look beyond the confines of a single discussion.

I know you don't see it. That's the point.

And sometimes it helps to look beyond the confines of a single discussion.

So you're carrying over some grudge from another discussion, then? How bizarre and unnecessary. :o

So you're carrying over some grudge from another discussion, then? How bizarre and unnecessary. :o

A grudge? Heavens no. You haven't offended me. I was just making an observation as to how brilliant you were to pick a user name that reflects you so well.

I mean you didn't pick some lame handle like "bittsen" that leaves people wondering. You were precise. I commend you.

Tickets!! Getcher tickets here! Getcher tickets while they last... :o

:)

*grabs the popcorn, sits next to knowschad*

Everyone's in this forum because we love geocaching, right? What's the point in taking down names and keeping track of every single person who ever disagrees with us and then carrying a grudge all over the forum?

I find that I learn more from a healthy discussion of disagreement than I do from a thread where everyone's just chiming in to agree. I don't understand why some people get so offended about little things.

Tickets!! Getcher tickets here! Getcher tickets while they last... :o

:)

*grabs the popcorn, sits next to knowschad*

Everyone's in this forum because we love geocaching, right? What's the point in taking down names and keeping track of every single person who ever disagrees with us and then carrying a grudge all over the forum?

I find that I learn more from a healthy discussion of disagreement than I do from a thread where everyone's just chiming in to agree. I don't understand why some people get so offended about little things.

Tickets!! Getcher tickets here! Getcher tickets while they last... :laughing:

Well, I'll subscribe as long as they send me a magazine a few days before everyone else and post my username on the cover as FTR (first to read) as a bonus.

I bet they'd put your name on the back cover... maybe even your address too..

Call that a bonus!!

To be FTR, you just have to be quicker than everyone else.

Well, I'll subscribe as long as they send me a magazine a few days before everyone else and post my username on the cover as FTR (first to read) as a bonus.

Then the rest of us can write forum posts complaining about how you're a cheater because you were given early access to the magazine, so it wasn't a fair FTR race. It will be epic.

All I've done is defend my original point, which is that a print magazine ought to be closely edited for grammar, punctuation, and clarity.

All I can say is, vote with your wallet. If, like so many of us in here, you are OK with folks typing a story in a manner that reflects their speech, then you would likely enjoy the magazine. If you are not OK with that, then don't buy it. A free market is a beautiful thing. While I certainly respect your expectations, I simply can't adhere to them. :o

All I've done is defend my original point, which is that a print magazine ought to be closely edited for grammar, punctuation, and clarity.

All I can say is, vote with your wallet. If, like so many of us in here, you are OK with folks typing a story in a manner that reflects their speech, then you would likely enjoy the magazine. If you are not OK with that, then don't buy it. A free market is a beautiful thing. While I certainly respect your expectations, I simply can't adhere to them. :o

Writing to reflect a type of speech still requires editing. As I mentioned before, good editing brings out the best of the writer, and preserves the intent of the writing. Simply leaving pieces unedited is a disservice to the writers AND the readers.

Besides, when it comes to homonyms, using the correct word isn't going to detract from a folksy style.

In a "free market" that is very tough for print magazines right now, speaking up about where the magazine fell short is far more productive than simply buying or not buying the magazine.

The magazine should be edited to include, not exclude readers. Better editing could make the magazine a joy for ALL to read.

The magazine should be edited to include, not exclude readers. Better editing could make the magazine a joy for ALL to read.

I'm with narcissa on this one.

Go read some Mark Twain. He was a master at writing the way people talked, yet he still managed to use proper punctuation.

Absolutely. It took a lot of editing to get those dialects into print in a way that made them authentic, but still pleasant to read.

Every good writer knows the value of a good editor.

Go read some Mark Twain.

I think I've read everything Sammy wrote. While I find his books wonderfully appealing, (read the covers off of several of them), I wouldn't call him a master of punctuation, syntax or grammar. His Adventures of Tom Sawyer was written to reflect the speech patterns of folks living along the Mississippi backwaters, and in places, can barely be considered English, yet it is still a beautiful tale, readily understood. If an editor had butchered it till it was grammatically perfect, it wouldn't have been nearly as appealing.

Go read some Mark Twain.

I think I've read everything Sammy wrote. While I find his books wonderfully appealing, (read the covers off of several of them), I wouldn't call him a master of punctuation, syntax or grammar. His Adventures of Tom Sawyer was written to reflect the speech patterns of folks living along the Mississippi backwaters, and in places, can barely be considered English, yet it is still a beautiful tale, readily understood. If an editor had butchered it till it was grammatically perfect, it wouldn't have been nearly as appealing.

Horsefeathers!

Perhaps you are thinking of the Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, written in the first person. Tom Sawyer has a lot of dialect, but the narrator writes perfectly grammatical, properly punctuated English.

Much as it jars my nerves to see things like "be careful where you put your GPS or you might loose it," one expects that sort of thing in the forums. But if someone is going to pretend to be a publisher, and ask me to spend money on their magazine, I expect them to edit the darn thing.

Go read some Mark Twain.

Of course not. A good editor respects the intent of the writing. Sometimes this means artistic license with grammar and syntax, sometimes this means rigorous editing for clarity and precision.

In the case of the magazine we're discussing, there was very little editing of any sort, and most of the articles suffered as a result.

Then the rest of us can write forum posts complaining about how you're a cheater because you were given early access to the magazine, so it wasn't a fair FTR race. It will be epic.

Actually, they could encourage readers to photograph themselves with a picture of themselves with the new magazine in their hands and the next issue could show the first photo that was e-mailed to them. A column in the magazine with letters protesting everything from mail delivery times to users bribing the magazine to be sent an early copy, would be epic. An uncut and unedited version sent a week early to people who requested it would be even better. :D

I don't have a problem with the name of the magazine at all...in fact, I find it kinda cool. I have never been a FTF, although I am sure it is great fun...

The name just tells me that it is a geocaching magazine and you have to be "in" to understand what FTF means. I am sorry but something like Geocaching Survey or National Geocaching Society sound too educational and names like Way Cool Treasure Hunting sounds too childish. I think they hit this one right in the center of the bullseye and went with a name that is iconic for us cachers and will find great success and probably even find some new blood for the sport.

JMHO.

Aight people, here we go again. This is another attempt at an actual geocaching magazine. First thing; I'm not involved with this magazine in any way. Second, I have been in contact with the publisher and they are very aware of what happened with the first magazine that was supposed to be in print and they don't want to repeat that incident. They are working hard to get this magazine up and running, but it's going take some people that are brave enough and willing, to get this thing going. Here's the link:

FTF Geocacher

I will only by it if I get the first copy. <_<