FTF Geocacher

Team Idasam

*shrug* Your choice, but your comments are still redundant to the thread.

If they didn't use PayPal, they'd likely be cutting themselves off from more subscribers than the vast amount of people who are not willing to follow ridiculous idea and instructions for immediately cancelling their subscription.

yes, it is my choice. My money is still in my pocket. I am good with it. :ph34r:

Regrding the redundancy of the comments I made. Sometimes the dead horse gets the attention it deserves. :D

I did not really want to get anything that promotes FTF hounds anyway. se la vi. :D

Edited by WHO-DEY

He was simply taking an opportunity to make yet another unwarranted personal attack because I'm a woman from Ontario with the audacity to have opinions.

oh. ontario. well, that's different, then. are you guys allowed to have opinions, let alone ones that cross international borders? that just sounds like a slippery slope to me.

Snarking at me is his way of making up for Ontario's long history of exploiting the rest of Canada and giving women the vote.

He was simply taking an opportunity to make yet another unwarranted personal attack because I'm a woman from Ontario with the audacity to have opinions.

oh. ontario. well, that's different, then. are you guys allowed to have opinions, let alone ones that cross international borders? that just sounds like a slippery slope to me.

Snarking at me is his way of making up for Ontario's long history of exploiting the rest of Canada and giving women the vote.

oh. well, that makes so much more sense. i'm glad to see there's a good reason for it.

From what I've seen, your comments get singled out because of your delivery, not the content of your opinion, though you do seem to be the type of person that often lets the negative blind you from seeing the positive. Just curious, this isn't the first time I've seen you claim that people criticize your posts because you are a woman and because you are from Ontario. Is there a joke I'm missing (very possible)? There are women and Canadians, and probably Canadian women too, even ones from Ontario, who are not having their posts singled out.

About the typos, I also noticed them, but they were within the cacher-contributed material - I was curious if they were left in there intentionally to give a real, down to earth kind of feel to the magazine, or if it was a result of rushing to meet a deadline. (this was answered in a post by the publisher below)

Speaking generally to quality - as there is a bigger and bigger pool of submissions, the stories, photos, etc are going to necessarily increase in quality, but that said, I really enjoyed reading ALL the submissions, even yours Narcissa :ph34r: Your Signal cookies are super cute and the excerpt reads smoothly to me :D Looks like there were some space constraints for the text and photo of the cookies :D Yours was one of the ones I had planned to come and comment on. I love baking and have an appreciation for how hard it must have been to do all those little squigglies :ph34r:

Edited by Opalblade

I have to admit that narcissa's comments are valid. There were far too many typos in the first issue - mostly in the stories I wrote myself;-) It's also true that the magazine was "hastily" produced, edited, and rushed off to press. Believe it or not, I actually delayed printing a few days as I corrected errors even more egregious than those that made it through. As for narcissa's "negative" take on the magazine, you should check out the review of the magazine she posted on her blog (http://geonarcissa.wordpress.com/). It points out the same flaws, but in a somehow softer light.

Edited by ckpetrus

From what I've seen, your comments get singled out because of your delivery, not the content of your opinion, though you do seem to be the type of person that often lets the negative blind you from seeing the positive. Just curious, this isn't the first time I've seen you claim that people criticize your posts because you are a woman and because you are from Ontario. Is there a joke I'm missing (very possible)? There are women and Canadians, and probably Canadian women too, even ones from Ontario, who are not having their posts singled out.

Take a hike, and take your strawman with you. I was speaking about one individual in particular, not "people." The very same individual who has, on other occasions, made remarks about me being a woman from Ontario. Not "people." It is ONE individual who does this. That's why I referred to him in the singular, and did not, at any time, imply that such things have been said by "people" other than him.

While we're picking apart each other's commenting habits, *you* seek out negative comments so you can jump on them and make yourself feel like you're making some sort of contribution. Back here in reality, all of us big bad mean people with our horrible negative opinions are really just normal individuals who are capable of having both positive and negative reactions to things.

Alright, I've got my red wine, and my magazine open here - wanted to make some comments on some of my favorite content (don't want to give it all away) :P I recognized a few forum posters among the authors!

LOVED the newbie tip regarding bisons and nanos. I was so proud of myself when I figured this out myself, somewhere before (but not much before) my 100th cache :P That was the first thing I read and I thought, I am going to LOVE this magazine :D

I hope the section on creative containers is permanent, loved the photos - was pleased to note the comment that photos would only be published with the CO's permission.

I could definitely relate to the story about family members not appreciating snuck-in geocaching :ph34r:

Loved the info on Benchmarks. I'd been vaguely curious about them but they didn't seem very interesting to me until I read this article.

Clan Riffster, I love how you portrayed your character hehehe.

The article submitted by Ellis Clan GeoSnoops was HI-LARIOUS!!! It's rare that something I read makes me laugh out loud, and I was laughing a lot :D

Old Navy, I carry an overstuffed backpack with more stuff than I'd probably ever need and I still found things in your list that I want to add now :D Nice work!

Evelev - "nerd-chic" - I like it - I'm in a meetup in my area who refer to ourselves as chic geeks :D

"Dude, I think I broke your cache" - Lol, NOT what a CO wants to hear :ph34r:

And an excerpt from the back page:

"FTF Geocacher is YOUR magazine. Our goal is to publish YOUR stories in YOUR words." Ah ok; flipping through to type up this post I realized I never did read the last two pages :P

I'm loving it, can't wait for the next issue. Wish it was a weekly!!!

I have to admit that narcissa's comments are valid. There were far too many typos in the first issue - mostly in the stories I wrote myself;-) It's also true that the magazine was "hastily" produced, edited, and rushed off to press. Believe it or not, I actually delayed printing a few days as I corrected errors even more egregious than those that made it through. As for narcissa's "negative" take on the magazine, you should check out the review of the magazine she posted on her blog (http://geonarcissa.wordpress.com/). It points out the same flaws, but in a somehow softer light.

Yes, in my blog I wanted to present a balanced view, because I did like the magazine. Here in the forum, I didn't think my one negative comment would overwhelm the many positive, and equally valid comments.

Yes, in my blog I wanted to present a balanced view, because I did like the magazine. Here in the forum, I didn't think my one negative comment would overwhelm the many positive, and equally valid comments.

Oh, I guess I should add a bunch of smileys to this too. :P:D:D:ph34r::P:ph34r::D

Your review on your blog is so radically different in tone than your comments here that I claim innocence on your strawman comment.

I had no idea a poster was specifically making comments about you being a woman from Ontario; I was curious, that's why I asked if there was something I was missing. It didn't make sense, but if you did truly believe that I didn't want you thinking people were singling you out for either of those reasons.

I'm idealistic. I want everyone to be happy and polite and considerate of others' feelings :ph34r: And I'm the eternal optimist - I like to encourage that in others - for them and those they affect though, it certainly doesn't benefit me in any way. I am sorry I upset you :ph34r: You are certainly entitled to communicating your negative reactions.

Take a hike, and take your strawman with you. I was speaking about one individual in particular, not "people." The very same individual who has, on other occasions, made remarks about me being a woman from Ontario. Not "people." It is ONE individual who does this. That's why I referred to him in the singular, and did not, at any time, imply that such things have been said by "people" other than him.

While we're picking apart each other's commenting habits, *you* seek out negative comments so you can jump on them and make yourself feel like you're making some sort of contribution. Back here in reality, all of us big bad mean people with our horrible negative opinions are really just normal individuals who are capable of having both positive and negative reactions to things.

I had no idea a poster was specifically making comments about you being a woman from Ontario; I was curious, that's why I asked if there was something I was missing. It didn't make sense, but if you did truly believe that I didn't want you thinking people were singling you out for either of those reasons.

You want everyone else to be nice, but you certainly had no qualms about filling in the blanks with lies when it suited your little sunshine agenda. Perhaps, being the eternal optimist you claim to be, the next time something like this crops up it would be best to assume that you don't know the full story. It's certainly preferable to making things up and putting words in other's mouths.

Edited by narcissa

I believe i read somewhere, that the article submissions were put into the magazine without any editing. These articles may be where you found some of your "errors". Personally however, i didn't expect to see this as being a top notch professional, mistake free magazine. To be honest, i'm glad it isnt. It's more personal and down to earth coming from regular folks (cachers) and not from a giant multi million dollar publishing company that probably wouldn't have an inkling of what caching really is. The content and layout of the magazine was right up my alley.

You may be mistaking magazines... I said earlier in this thread that I don't do much editing of the articles published in The Online Geocacher, a separate and unrelated magazine.

I do spell-check and fix some punctuation, but mostly leave grammar alone.

I'm on the fence on the issue. I like to read geocacher's stories in their own words as I think it gives me a better 'vision' of the writer. On the other hand I don't want folks to be hesitant to write articles because they feel that their writing skills aren't up to some expected standard so I will edit their work if asked to do so.

The folks at FTF Geocacher will likely have a different view on editing but please don't judge their magazine by what I do with The Online Geocacher. :ph34r:

I believe i read somewhere, that the article submissions were put into the magazine without any editing. These articles may be where you found some of your "errors". Personally however, i didn't expect to see this as being a top notch professional, mistake free magazine. To be honest, i'm glad it isnt. It's more personal and down to earth coming from regular folks (cachers) and not from a giant multi million dollar publishing company that probably wouldn't have an inkling of what caching really is. The content and layout of the magazine was right up my alley.

You may be mistaking magazines... I said earlier in this thread that I don't do much editing of the articles published in The Online Geocacher, a separate and unrelated magazine.

I do spell-check and fix some punctuation, but mostly leave grammar alone.

I'm on the fence on the issue. I like to read geocacher's stories in their own words as I think it gives me a better 'vision' of the writer. On the other hand I don't want folks to be hesitant to write articles because they feel that their writing skills aren't up to some expected standard so I will edit their work if asked to do so.

The folks at FTF Geocacher will likely have a different view on editing but please don't judge their magazine by what I do with The Online Geocacher. :D

WARNING: The following may, and probably does, contain grammatical errrors, typos, and misspellings. My intention was to post to this thread in my own words. Do not read unless you are prepared to do some cringing! :ph34r:

TAR, you're probably right about that. I remembered reading it, probably in this thread, but i didn't even think about it pertaining to the Online Geocacher. My mistake, but i still have to say that i enjoyed FTF Geocacher the way it was. I know i'm in the minority here, but my take on many things, including this, is that it doesn't have to be perfect, the biggest, and/or most successful to be good. :ph34r:

Oooops, submitted and now see where i typed too many "R"s in the word error above. Oh well,,,

Edited by Mudfrog

First of all, does it really matter that its called FTF Geocacher?

Would everyone automatically love it if its called Geocaching.com and it had not so interesting articles?

The proof is going to be in the articles.

Unless you have a dedicated staff of writers, editors, etc... you can only hope for the best.

If the magazine takes off great, I'll get my order in.

Can't we all just say good luck and we wish them the best?

You want everyone else to be nice, but you certainly had no qualms about filling in the blanks with lies when it suited your little sunshine agenda. Perhaps, being the eternal optimist you claim to be, the next time something like this crops up it would be best to assume that you don't know the full story. It's certainly preferable to making things up and putting words in other's mouths.

Stay strong my Canadian sister!! I got your back!

First of all, does it really matter that its called FTF Geocacher?

Would everyone automatically love it if its called Geocaching.com and it had not so interesting articles?

The proof is going to be in the articles.

Unless you have a dedicated staff of writers, editors, etc... you can only hope for the best.

If the magazine takes off great, I'll get my order in.

Can't we all just say good luck and we wish them the best?

I don't really get why people are so deeply offended by the name.

I'm not inclined to just say "good luck" and keep it at that. I like reading magazines, and despite the problems with the first issue, I did think it showed promise. How will the magazine improve and get established if everyone just tells them "GREAT JOB :tongue::(:):yikes:B)" without any substantive input?

Alright, I've got my red wine, and my magazine open here - wanted to make some comments on some of my favorite content (don't want to give it all away) ;) I recognized a few forum posters among the authors!

LOVED the newbie tip regarding bisons and nanos. I was so proud of myself when I figured this out myself, somewhere before (but not much before) my 100th cache :P That was the first thing I read and I thought, I am going to LOVE this magazine :P

I hope the section on creative containers is permanent, loved the photos - was pleased to note the comment that photos would only be published with the CO's permission.

I could definitely relate to the story about family members not appreciating snuck-in geocaching :yikes:

Loved the info on Benchmarks. I'd been vaguely curious about them but they didn't seem very interesting to me until I read this article.

Clan Riffster, I love how you portrayed your character hehehe.

The article submitted by Ellis Clan GeoSnoops was HI-LARIOUS!!! It's rare that something I read makes me laugh out loud, and I was laughing a lot B)

Old Navy, I carry an overstuffed backpack with more stuff than I'd probably ever need and I still found things in your list that I want to add now B) Nice work!

Evelev - "nerd-chic" - I like it - I'm in a meetup in my area who refer to ourselves as chic geeks B)

"Dude, I think I broke your cache" - Lol, NOT what a CO wants to hear :)

And an excerpt from the back page:

"FTF Geocacher is YOUR magazine. Our goal is to publish YOUR stories in YOUR words." Ah ok; flipping through to type up this post I realized I never did read the last two pages :P

I'm loving it, can't wait for the next issue. Wish it was a weekly!!!

I'm hurt. I didn't see my article mentioned anywhere in your list of favorite content. :tongue: WAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

I have no idea what you are talking about now. Please message me if you feel we need to discuss whatever it is further.

I have no idea what you are talking about now. Please message me if you feel we need to discuss whatever it is further.

I absolutely will not message you privately - you were the one who attacked me, and all the smiley faces and playing dumb in the world doesn't change the facts. You jumped in to the discussion for no apparent reason, made wildly incorrect statements about me, and now you're feigning innocence. Your games are tiresome. I realize you're desperate for everyone to like you, but this kind of behaviour isn't the way to go about achieving that.

The folks at FTF Geocacher will likely have a different view on editing but please don't judge their magazine by what I do with The Online Geocacher. :tongue:

The Rambler and I are on the same page on this issue. I don't mind correcting obvious misspellings or errors in grammar or punctuation (assuming I am astute enough to catch them) but I prefer to allow as much of the writers original style to show through as possible.

Edited by ckpetrus

The folks at FTF Geocacher will likely have a different view on editing but please don't judge their magazine by what I do with The Online Geocacher. :(

The Rambler and I are on the same page on this issue. I don't mind correcting obvious misspellings or errors in grammar or punctuation (assuming I am astute enough to catch them) but I prefer to allow as much of the writers original style to show through as possible.

Some people regard spelling errors like speed bumps in their cognitive absorption, but I actually like them. It gives the writing more style and individuality, similar to accents. When I lived in Georgia/NC, it was easy to tell the people from South Carolina, as the accent was still southern, but a bit different and thicker. In Tennessee it was different also and used different phrases and so on. Hearing a Midwest accent is even more unique. By listening to someone speak, it was relatively easy to narrow down the area they were from. Florida was the furtherst south, but most people didn't have an accent at all and was a bit boring.

Would anyone really regard the book "Huckleberry Finn" any better if they edited out all the unusual grammar? :tongue:

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

Some people regard spelling errors like speed bumps in their cognitive absorption, but I actually like them. It gives the writing more style and individuality, similar to accents. When I lived in Georgia/NC, it was easy to tell the people from South Carolina, as the accent was still southern, but a bit different and thicker. In Tennessee it was different also and used different phrases and so on. Hearing a Midwest accent is even more unique. By listening to someone speak, it was relatively easy to narrow down the area they were from. Florida was the furtherst south, but most people didn't have an accent at all and was a bit boring.

Would anyone really regard the book "Huckleberry Finn" any better if they edited out all the unusual grammar? :unsure:

There's a very big difference between making a stylistic choice to write in a dialect, and confusing "then" and "than."

When a magazine article is intended to inform the reader of a serious issue (i.e. caches on school grounds), the writing should be concise and free of errors. When the article is intended to amuse, there's more room for artistic license.

No matter what the intent of the article, "it's" is a contraction of "it is" and "its" is the possessive of "it." Confusing these isn't a stylistic choice - it's a mistake.

I'm hurt. I didn't see my article mentioned anywhere in your list of favorite content. :unsure: WAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!! :unsure:

Yours rocked - it was a very interesting read :anibad: I was going for a sampling, so I skipped around the magazine, which is why I said "some" of my favorites B)

*SNIFF* You really mean that? *SNIFF*

I've noticed some of the formatting issues others have pointed out. I can say that even reading my own article, some issues where there. But of the issues I caught, they were a result of how the article was translated from a blog post to a 3 column, 3 page article. So some formatting issues with layout may be a result of the transfer between those two mediums. I should have done a thorough walkthrough of my own article before it was used as I caught a few things, like my use of "I'll end by..." only to write three more paragraphs. The result of last minute thoughts when I wrote the article. It looked odd and I've since corrected it in my original post.

Still working on putting a review together for my site in the coming days.

There's a very big difference between making a stylistic choice to write in a dialect, and confusing "then" and "than."

When a magazine article is intended to inform the reader of a serious issue (i.e. caches on school grounds), the writing should be concise and free of errors. When the article is intended to amuse, there's more room for artistic license.

No matter what the intent of the article, "it's" is a contraction of "it is" and "its" is the possessive of "it." Confusing these isn't a stylistic choice - it's a mistake.

Since this is an issue which affects all magazines and their readership I will post this here, without trying to get too far off of the FTF Geocacher topic.

Your point is certainly valid, which is why I sit on the fence at this time still pondering the best way to go.

As an Editor I do try to spot and correct issues such as the contraction errors you mention and do run a spell-check as a minimum, with the caveat that I am not a professional writer nor editor and will never catch all of the mistakes even should I want to.

A new print magazine was started last year called Great Days Outdoors which asked a staff writer to interview myself and several other geocachers for their debut issue. Four of us met the writer, talked with her for perhaps an hour, then I took her geocaching. We hid a geocache and created an account for the magazine so that it could be watched. She sent me a pre-publication draft to fact-check and it was terrible! Spelling, syntax, grammar and word choice errors made me look like a redneck with a third-grade education (I have no problem with the redneck part, I wear that as a badge of honor, but I did get an education!). Fortunately she was receptive to corrections and after an exchange of 'Is this right?' 'No, fix this' emails the article came out nicely. Since then she has published three more articles on geocaching and the sloppy writing and inadequate fact-checking continue. She no longer sends me a draft to get my opinions, however.

The magazine is great in all other aspects. Someone is putting a lot of money into publishing it. They have professional-quality formatting, graphics and layout. They have attracted many of the top names in outdoor sports vendors as advertisers and well-known sportsmen who provide valuable and interesting content. The magazine itself is printed on the best paper and is bound using a square edge binding process that I have never before seen but really admire... it gives a great appearance and makes the magazine a physical joy to hold and read.

My first thought was exactly as yours; cannot a magazine this well developed get our native language right?

After reading it for a few months it struck me that it wasn't that one particular writer overlooking errors, it is the editing (or lack thereof) of all content that allows these errors to be published. It turns out that they are doing the same thing that I do... let writers speak for themselves with little correction.

There is one article in last month's edition that is truly painful to read. It was submitted by a professional guide whom I had twice hired to take me fishing, and it occurred to me that the writing was in fact an accurate reflection of how the man talks. He's an excellent fisherman, worthy guide, an expert in his subject matter, and in all ways the epitome of the southern redneck good ole boy stereotype. His writing tells the reader all of those things, and upon consideration I found that I like that. He is exactly what his articles make him out to be, for better or worse.

Upon consideration I have come to the conclusion that their editing style is an intentional marketing decision. They write for their target audience. Hunters and fishermen regardless of education and social positioning tend to get their redneck on when it comes to these sports. Reading one of their articles imparts the feeling of a fire-side conversation with the writer at a hunting or fishing camp... or geocaching event, which is exactly what the magazine wants to do.

So, for now I will continue fence-sitting, but by doing very little editing I obviously am leaning to the side of 'less is better' when it comes to editing submitted work.

Fact-checking is a different horse, however, and I do check for factual accuracy and expect other editors to do the same, thus my issues with Great Days Outdoors remain, at least in that area.

Whatever geocaching publications you choose to read I hope that you will take some of this into consideration and grant us some flexibility and discretion in the editing process. Hopefully the content and meaning shine even through the errors.

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler
Upon consideration I have come to the conclusion that their editing style is an intentional marketing decision. They write for their target audience. Hunters and fishermen regardless of education and social positioning tend to get their redneck on when it comes to these sports. Reading one of their articles imparts the feeling of a fire-side conversation with the writer at a hunting or fishing camp... or geocaching event, which is exactly what the magazine wants to do.

So, for now I will continue fence-sitting, but by doing very little editing I obviously am leaning to the side of 'less is better' when it comes to editing submitted work.

Fact-checking is a different horse, however, and I do check for factual accuracy and expect other editors to do the same, thus my issues with Great Days Outdoors remain, at least in that area.

Whatever geocaching publications you choose to read I hope that you will take some of this into consideration and grant us some flexibility and discretion in the editing process. Hopefully the content and meaning shine even through the errors.

I'm certainly not trying to stereotype geocachers but what you just stated above is what i think the magazine needs to go for. Everyday geocaching talk, with its diverse style, flare, and sometimes, little grammatical errors left in place. For the most part, articles submitted should stay in the writer's own words. Imo, big glaring mistakes can be fixed but it's just not a big deal to see "then, than, its, or it's" used in the wrong place.

Guessing here, but i would say that the majority of readers of the first issue didn't notice many, if any, of those mistakes. I'm also guessing that if they did notice one or some, that it didn't affect their overall opinion of the magazine or cause them to think the world was coming to an end! :lol:

I was already disinclined to subscribe because of the name; now that it is clear that the editor can't be bothered to correct misspellings and grammatical errors, any interest I had has vanished completely.

But I assume that it's a great product for those who think of peeling paint as part of the "character" of the Dodge Neon.

I was already disinclined to subscribe because of the name; now that it is clear that the editor can't be bothered to correct misspellings and grammatical errors, any interest I had has vanished completely.

But I assume that it's a great product for those who think of peeling paint as part of the "character" of the Dodge Neon.

It must be hard to be such a grammar nazi that one cannot enjoy what is in general a great product.

Yeap, I'm a johnny come lately...nice concept for a mag...yet why! I'd rather see a blog, which provides the creator a revenue stream via the traditional ad click/view results, which saves trees, allows viewers free access, as long as they tag-a-long via ad clicks...say like once a visit, if daily...if less frequently, they're locked out, until they've clicked sufficient different ads since their last visit! Which, depending the value of content from said rag, should be easy provided your users see a value to stay in touch. Otherwise, it would be a complete waste of time for everybody!

Ken

aka imyz1

P.S.-I make no bones about it, being a Life Mensa Member...either you're enthralled or repulsed, I don't care, that's your problem not mine, doesn't matter to me either way...I'll continue being whom I am no matter what you think. All I can say is that I test well, what can you say about your abilities!

Aight people, here we go again. This is another attempt at an actual geocaching magazine. First thing; I'm not involved with this magazine in any way. Second, I have been in contact with the publisher and they are very aware of what happened with the first magazine that was supposed to be in print and they don't want to repeat that incident. They are working hard to get this magazine up and running, but it's going take some people that are brave enough and willing, to get this thing going. Here's the link:

FTF Geocacher

P.S.-I make no bones about it, being a Life Mensa Member...either you're enthralled or repulsed, I don't care, that's your problem not mine, doesn't matter to me either way...I'll continue being whom I am no matter what you think. All I can say is that I test well, what can you say about your abilities!

:):laughing::laughing::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

huh? Where did THAT come from???

:laughing::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

he's proving the point that being intelligent doesn't make you smart. Having some tools doesn't make you a mechanic. Being a pedant is often more a curse than a blessing... and cetera :):laughing:

:laughing::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

he's proving the point that being intelligent doesn't make you smart. Having some tools doesn't make you a mechanic. Being a pedant is often more a curse than a blessing... and cetera :):laughing:

Yup, and that testing well does not make one intelligent, nor give one the ability to make a forum post that makes sense.
Yeap, I'm a johnny come lately...nice concept for a mag...yet why! I'd rather see a blog, which provides the creator a revenue stream via the traditional ad click/view results, which saves trees, allows viewers free access, as long as they tag-a-long via ad clicks...say like once a visit, if daily...if less frequently, they're locked out, until they've clicked sufficient different ads since their last visit! Which, depending the value of content from said rag, should be easy provided your users see a value to stay in touch. Otherwise, it would be a complete waste of time for everybody!

Hmmm... It doesn't seem like the above and the below go together. ...or is it just me?

Anyway, the reason for a magazine and not simply yet another blog is you open up an audience who likes to read away from the computer, like on the throne. Also, you can bring it to doctor's office for while you wait. You could, as a doctor or anyone with a waiting room, put it in your waiting room. A physical magazine is little different than a newspaper in this respect. Sissy and I have each our own computer in our own little hobby-room/offices complete with constant high speed connections. We can get on the internet on a whim. Yet, my desk is littered with magazines and catalogs. Sissy gets the daily paper. (...and continues to baffle me by doing most of the puzzles in her head and writes only the solutions, and generally finishes the Sunday NY crossword without any outside help.)

Personally, I'm not too impressed with a Mensa title. They would have taken me. 'Nuff said.

It must be hard to be such a grammar nazi that one cannot enjoy what is in general a great product.

Comparing people to a political regime that killed millions of people is a horrible thing to do, particularly over a minor difference of opinion.

A good editor brings out the writer's best while preserving the style and intent of the piece. Novels are the most popular form of creative writing out there, and they are rigorously edited before publication. Good writers know the value of a good editor.

Geocaching encompasses a wide variety of people with various levels of education, making the task of editing a print magazine more demanding. The writing can't be too high-brow and academic, nor can it be too simplistic.

Again, I'm not expecting a literary journal here. I think the articles could have been better edited to the benefit of all readers AND writers.

Also, I don't want to pick on anyone, but one of the pieces I felt was in need of editing was written by someone with considerable education. I felt that the article was too wordy and rambling, and would be very difficult for someone with a lower reading level to get into.

Comparing people to a political regime that killed millions of people is a horrible thing to do, particularly over a minor difference of opinion.

See definition #3: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Nazi

3. Sometimes Offensive. (often lowercasethinsp.png) a person who is fanatically dedicated to or seeks to control a specified activity, practice, etc.: a jazz nazi who disdains other forms of music; tobacco nazis trying to ban smoking.

Did you ever see the Soup Nazi episode of Seinfeld? Since then, calling somebody a "(fill in the blank) Nazi" has become more common. Or, using less in your face terminology, "No (fill in the blank) for you!" :laughing:

Not saying that it's good or bad, just sayin'. :)

The fact that it's commonly used does not make it less offensive and unnecessary in a civilized discussion. There's no reason to fling around names like that over a minor difference in opinion.
Perhaps it doesn't to you, but it does to most of us.

That's truly unfortunate.

Still, it's unnecessary to call people names over something like this.

If someone doesn't care about grammar or spelling, that's fine, but there's absolutely no need to attack people who do notice these things and take them seriously.

Let me interrupt the name calling and whinging to say this about that:

I haven't seen the magazine in question... I was put off by the name to start with. But any print magazine that doesn't have a professional editor to catch and correct grammar and spelling errors isn't going to get any of my money. Not more than once, anyway.

Spelling and grammar errors jar me even on the web, but at least I didn't have to pay for them.

Let me interrupt the name calling and whinging to say this about that:

I haven't seen the magazine in question... I was put off by the name to start with. But any print magazine that doesn't have a professional editor to catch and correct grammar and spelling errors isn't going to get any of my money. Not more than once, anyway.

Spelling and grammar errors jar me even on the web, but at least I didn't have to pay for them.

I was just about to call you on your misspelling of "whining" when I looked up "whinging". Darn it.

The fact that it's commonly used does not make it less offensive and unnecessary in a civilized discussion. There's no reason to fling around names like that over a minor difference in opinion.

OK, that does it!! :) No soup for you!!!

S7S06_The_Soup_Nazi.jpg

Edited by knowschad

OK, that does it!! :) No soup for you!!!

S7S06_The_Soup_Nazi.jpg

Heehee; I love that guy, but do avoid using the term outside of joking around with my hubby or family, just in case it might upset someone.