FTF Geocacher

Team Idasam

I got mine today and also was very impressed- only skimmed it so far but articles look good and it's definitely high quality- much better paper and much less ads than something like Cosmo that you shell out $5 for! I'm really looking forward to sitting down and poring through it, but no matter what, I'd definitely say it's worth the $12 to me if the other two issues I signed up for are up to this one!

Really enjoying the magazine so far B) There are SO many varied and fun aspects of the magazine. Love the image of a geocacher on the back of the magazine, haha :D - I was especially impressed with how he managed to tuck in a tripod :) Read for quite a while and then was happily surprised to see I was only halfway through :D I love all the opportunities throughout for geocachers to share their experiences, stories, tips and photos B)

WOOHOO just saw these posts and ran out to my mailbox. My pathtag is SOOOO beeeauuuutiful, my magazine is sooooo pretty and glossy and my trackable golden seal is soooo shiny :D:D:( - off to snuggle up in bed w a squishy blankie and read :grin: Will report back later.

waaaaaa i didn't get mine yet! heh heh.. hopefully tomorrow...

Yes I feel your pain. Gosh Darn International Postal Service!! LOL Be lucky if I have it by the end of the week!

So far it sounds to have very positive feedback. Can't wait to read it.

(Feel like a kid on Christmas Eve...Can't sleep, can't eat, just want the present to arrive LOL)

Woohoo! My issue arrived today, complete with trackable gold seal and pathtag. I glanced through it and it looks pretty good. I think I'll enjoy reading through it. It also looks like there may be some opportunities to contribute photos, stories, and such. I usually have the digital rebel with me while caching, so perhaps I'll submit a thing or two.

I just received my FTF Geocacher Premier issue in the mail today...It's very nice, and my "What to bring Geocaching" article is published on page 27, a nice surprise! I also received one of the first FTF path tags (thanks). Call me old fashioned, but in this age of reading everything online, it's nice to be able to read a quality magazine about geocaching without having to stare at a monitor, or print lots of paper! I wish FTF Geocacher continued success! Old Navy.

how about a scan of the silly named, but apparantly cool magazine?

Regardless of what folks think of this magazine (it's name, etc., etc.) why don't we all agree that distributing scans of the magazine will do nothing more than destroy what appears to be a solid attempt at a nice publication.

If you aren't willing to toss out the $12, then enjoy the content on their website (if the mag's successful that will likely grow) and continue getting your daily Geocaching news and stories right here at the forums.

So disheartening to think that our society has grown to feel that illegal digital distribution is 'OK' while most folks would never walk into a store and stuff a copy of the magazine in their pants and walk out without paying. Not much difference really... but that's where we are unfortunately.

I agree that releasing a digital copy of the magazine would run counter to our interests, but do not think it is entirely unreasonable to request a sneak preview before subscribing. In fact, we will likely release a one-time-only condensed version of the magazine in PDF format once we have sold out of printed copies of the first issue.

FTF just screams negative. I won't be subscribing.

why is everyone so against FTFs and being competive? its kinda part of the fun seeing if you can get there first...

I think here in these forums there are some who would be against the name no matter what it was.

On to the magazine.

Got my copy. No gold trackable for me :lol: but.....

Pleasantly surprised. Enjoyed the articles very much. I do have some constructive criticisms that I would like to share with the publisher and some ideas. Ckpetrus, What would be the best way to do this?

I agree that releasing a digital copy of the magazine would run counter to our interests, but do not think it is entirely unreasonable to request a sneak preview before subscribing. In fact, we will likely release a one-time-only condensed version of the magazine in PDF format once we have sold out of printed copies of the first issue.

I have yet to receive a response in my advertising rate inquiry. As long as you mentioned things counter to your interests.

I have yet to receive a response in my advertising rate inquiry. As long as you mentioned things counter to your interests.

I just put the finishing touches on our Media Kit and am awaiting confirmation of a minor detail. You should receive it later this evening. I was surprised and a bit caught off guard to see so many advertising inquiries coming in so soon and unsolicited.

All the negativity about FTF. Have you read the benefits of a premium mermbership lately?" "Be Instantly Notified of Geocaches

Be the first to find a geocache when you receive Instant Notifications about newly published geocaches on your cell phone or other mobile device. "

By this selling point there seems to me to be a valid point for some people to enjoy the thrill of being the first one there. So says Groundspeak.

I just put the finishing touches on our Media Kit and am awaiting confirmation of a minor detail. You should receive it later this evening. I was surprised and a bit caught off guard to see so many advertising inquiries coming in so soon and unsolicited.

You may not need this reminder but remember to include the number of subscribers.

I thin I've counted about a dozen people who have said they got a copy. I hope there are many more subscribers than that.

You may not need this reminder but remember to include the number of subscribers.

I thin I've counted about a dozen people who have said they got a copy. I hope there are many more subscribers than that.

It is difficult to predict how many subscribers there will be by the next press date.

I added a subscriptions button to the ftfgeocacher.com website just before midnight on the day after Christmas. At 11:48 p.m. I was startled by my first subscriber. The next came about an hour later at 12:50 a.m. Since that time, subscriptions have trickled in at an average rate of 5 to 10 per day. On Wednesday of this week, I received 19 subscription requests. Thursday it was 25 and it looks to be a little less today unless there is a late evening rush. If this momentum holds until the next press date (about 5 weeks away), I should be pretty close to reaching my most immediate goal for minimum sustainability of the magazine.

Edited by ckpetrus

It is difficult to predict how many subscribers there will be by the next press date.

I added a subscriptions button to the ftfgeocacher.com website just before midnight on the day after Christmas. At 11:48 p.m. I was startled by my first subscriber. The next came about an hour later at 12:50 a.m. Since that time, subscriptions have trickled in at an average rate of 5 to 10 per day. On Wednesday of this week, I received 19 subscription requests. Thursday it was 25 and it looks to be a little less today unless there is a late evening rush. If this momentum holds until the next press date (about 5 weeks away), I should be pretty close to reaching my most immediate goal for minimum sustainability of the magazine.

Don't forget that The Online Geocacher supports your effort and eagerly awaits your article(s) which we'll publish right away. Hopefully that will help bump your subscriptions a bit.

We don't get a lot of traffic, mostly because I'm lazy and only promote it here, but last month we had 2,443 visits for 7,026 page views (articles read), an average of 2.88 pages/visit which averaged 3.1 minutes/visit, so somebody is reading it!

You can send us a hyperlinked banner and an article and use us to get that many more eyeballs on your magazine for free, not a bad deal! We don't sell ads (or anything else) but are happy to give them away to geocachers who help promote the game of geocaching.

See: http://www.onlinegeocacher.com

Send content to: TheAlabamaRambler@gmail.com

Good luck!

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

I haven't seen it, but the fact that you have actually shipped the first issue will probably help increase subscriptions.

Don't forget that The Online Geocacher supports your effort and eagerly awaits your article(s) which we'll publish right away. Hopefully that will help bump your subscriptions a bit.

Thanks TAR! This is the second time you've made the offer and I'll get around to taking you up on it eventually!

There was a commercial a few years back in which the members of a startup company were gathered around a computer monitor watching as orders rolled in after the launch of their new website. A cheer broke out among the executives as the orders on the screen quickly multiplied into the hundreds. The room fell silent however when the counter continued into the thousands and the executives realized demand was rapidly overtaking supply. I am finding myself in a similar situation as our first print run was limited to about double the number of pre-subscribers. I don't want to sell more magazines than I can deliver so am content with a take-it-slow approach. I guess as problems go, this isn't so bad.

Thanks for your support. I really appreciate the positive comments we are hearing in this forum.

I just activated the trackable seal from my copy. :o

Now, a nice icon shows up on my profile page, but I don't think the magazine is going to travel anywhere. :laughing:

Maybe I'll bring it to events so people can discover it if they want to. :surprise:

I'm considering printing an image of the cover at maybe 3"x5", laminating it, marking the tracking number on the back in larger type, and sending that out as a TB. It might help raise awareness of the magazine too, I dunno. Either that or I might use the tracking number for a personal TB, dipping in all caches and allowing people I meet on the trail to discover it.

I just activated the trackable seal from my copy. :D

Now, a nice icon shows up on my profile page, but I don't think the magazine is going to travel anywhere. :ph34r:

Maybe I'll bring it to events so people can discover it if they want to. :D

I'm considering printing an image of the cover at maybe 3"x5", laminating it, marking the tracking number on the back in larger type, and sending that out as a TB. It might help raise awareness of the magazine too, I dunno. Either that or I might use the tracking number for a personal TB, dipping in all caches and allowing people I meet on the trail to discover it.

That is a good idea. I might have to consider doing that as well.

I got my copy a few days ago. I wasn't particularly impressed - it seemed hastily edited and I spotted several typos. In a magazine with few pages and such light content, there's no excuse for so many errors to get through the proofreading stage. On top of that, the writing wasn't magazine quality. I hope that they're able to procure better content for future issues.

With my permission, they published an excerpt from my geocaching blog. While I was pleased to contribute, I was disappointed in the end result because the excerpt was clumsily selected and edited.

I got my copy a few days ago. I wasn't particularly impressed - it seemed hastily edited and I spotted several typos. In a magazine with few pages and such light content, there's no excuse for so many errors to get through the proofreading stage. On top of that, the writing wasn't magazine quality. I hope that they're able to procure better content for future issues.

With my permission, they published an excerpt from my geocaching blog. While I was pleased to contribute, I was disappointed in the end result because the excerpt was clumsily selected and edited.

I do hope in the future they exclude you.

A difference in opinion is not a reason to follow someone around the forums making nasty remarks.

Excuse me while I go cry myself to sleep.

one way to increase subscriber rates is to bring up the quality level. once they exhaust the list of those who are pretty much happy with anything that arrives, it's going to be a tougher battle gaining and retaining subscribers.

the specific criticisms of a subscriber/contributor are probably worth listening to.

one way to increase subscriber rates is to bring up the quality level. once they exhaust the list of those who are pretty much happy with anything that arrives, it's going to be a tougher battle gaining and retaining subscribers.

the specific criticisms of a subscriber/contributor are probably worth listening to.

He was simply taking an opportunity to make yet another unwarranted personal attack because I'm a woman from Ontario with the audacity to have opinions.

I received mine a week or so ago and just found the forum here. I was too a little skeptical about it, but I was absolutely thrilled and surprised at how captivated I was. I spent hours reading and even re-reading picking up on the things that I didn't catch the first time. I thought it had wonderful variety and loved all the little tips. Amazingly I think the one topic that I took the most out of was the short blurb about ticks!! I also loved the Caches near School Grounds article and took it very seriously. I liked the Discovered while Geocaching section as well, especially the pictures.

All in all I thought that the first issue was great. I learned several things I was not aware of, laughed, had a serious moment, and enjoyed viewing the success and pictures of others. I was not surprised when I didn't get a gold seal, but that wasn't why I was getting this magazine. As long as you all are printing this one, you have a lifetime subscriber. Best of luck!

I believe i read somewhere, that the article submissions were put into the magazine without any editing. These articles may be where you found some of your "errors". Personally however, i didn't expect to see this as being a top notch professional, mistake free magazine. To be honest, i'm glad it isnt. It's more personal and down to earth coming from regular folks (cachers) and not from a giant multi million dollar publishing company that probably wouldn't have an inkling of what caching really is. The content and layout of the magazine was right up my alley.

I believe i read somewhere, that the article submissions were put into the magazine without any editing. These articles may be where you found some of your "errors". Personally however, i didn't expect to see this as being a top notch professional, mistake free magazine. To be honest, i'm glad it isnt. It's more personal and down to earth coming from regular folks (cachers) and not from a giant multi million dollar publishing company that probably wouldn't have an inkling of what caching really is. The content and layout of the magazine was right up my alley.

You're creating a false dichotomy. The magazine could be better edited and still appeal to cachers. In fact, better editing would make the articles clearer and easier for "regular folks" to read. Poor spelling and punctuation makes writing less - not more - accessible to readers.

When I pay for written content, I expect that someone will take care to fix cringe-inducing errors. I realize that this isn't aspiring to rival the New Yorker. Part of the editorial process means making sure the writing level is appropriate to the audience, and some of the content could have been edited to be clearer.

how about a scan of the silly named, but apparantly cool magazine?

Regardless of what folks think of this magazine (it's name, etc., etc.) why don't we all agree that distributing scans of the magazine will do nothing more than destroy what appears to be a solid attempt at a nice publication.

If you aren't willing to toss out the $12, then enjoy the content on their website (if the mag's successful that will likely grow) and continue getting your daily Geocaching news and stories right here at the forums.

So disheartening to think that our society has grown to feel that illegal digital distribution is 'OK' while most folks would never walk into a store and stuff a copy of the magazine in their pants and walk out without paying. Not much difference really... but that's where we are unfortunately.

Dude,

I just wanted to see what it looked like, relax. for all some of us know, it is done on newspaper material. This is not PirateBay...I was curious if it was worth my $12 bucks or not. I asked for "a scan", not "scans" or a "scanned copy of all the pages magazine". :ph34r:

Your reply was ridiculously off base from my request.

Edited by WHO-DEY

well, I was seconds from ordering, until I saw it was 'auto-renew" deal. Therefore, I am out. if it ever changes, I and a few others I know will do it. But not as an auto renew subscrition.... :ph34r:

This has already been addressed in this thread. The auto-renew is something PayPal, and not the magazine, sets up automatically:

It is true that the Paypal subscription is set up to automatically renew. PayPal would not allow me to set up a nonrepeating "Subscriptions" button. If you are uncomfortable with an auto-renewing subscription you can simply subscribe, then immediately cancel the subscription. You will still receive your 3 issues but the subscription will not renew at the 6 month renewal date. From the PayPal Help Center: "Canceling a subscription cancels all future scheduled payments of that subscription. A subscription can be canceled up to the day of the next scheduled payment."

Detailed instructions for cancelling a subscription can be found at: https://www.paypal.com/helpcenter/main.jsp;...&isSrch=Yes

If you have a problem with PayPal doing this, complain to PayPal, not the magazine.

*shrug* Your choice, but your comments are still redundant to the thread.

If they didn't use PayPal, they'd likely be cutting themselves off from more subscribers than the small handful of people who are unable to follow simple instructions for immediately cancelling the auto-renew.

He was simply taking an opportunity to make yet another unwarranted personal attack because I'm a woman from Ontario with the audacity to have opinions.

oh. ontario. well, that's different, then. are you guys allowed to have opinions, let alone ones that cross international borders? that just sounds like a slippery slope to me.