FTF Geocacher

Team Idasam

I am a little disappointed to see that people say they won't buy the magazine because of the title.

I'm also disappointed that people say they want to see the content before giving it a try.

And I'm disappointed that people say they want to see if it takes off before they are willing to give it a shot.

Where is the trust?

The automatic renewal is a reason why I would not subscribe. I don't like having to work to get someones hand out of my pocket.

I'm disappointed. Where's the trust? :anibad:

Edited by Chrysalides
i smell mc chicken, the worst of the worst

unpracticed, un-clever, and much un-rehearsed.

stinking and picking and out of condition

can't make the grade; no, can't take competition.

i'm smarter, i'm faster, i'm tougher than you

you can sit on the sidelines until you turn blue

but until you have come out to answer my call

you are still a dim halfwit, frightened and small.

Like someone else asked someone else in an unrelated thread, how come you can say all that in the forums and get away with it?

So, naming a magazine with FTF indicates that it is for only a portion of those involved and also has the potential to turn off some people. That seems like a rather bad idea from a marketing standpoint.

It makes sense. Start a magazine that targets a very small group of people, the name it so it would attract a tiny niche of that already small group

i smell mc chicken, the worst of the worst

unpracticed, un-clever, and much un-rehearsed.

stinking and picking and out of condition

can't make the grade; no, can't take competition.

i'm smarter, i'm faster, i'm tougher than you

you can sit on the sidelines until you turn blue

but until you have come out to answer my call

you are still a dim halfwit, frightened and small.

Like someone else asked someone else in an unrelated thread, how come you can say all that in the forums and get away with it?

I have started to come to the realization and/or opinion that flask is a sock puppet for a highly placed lackey. But you didn't hear this from me. Keep it on the QT. :anibad:

I clicked on the video - that gave me the warm fuzzies! I am not an FTFer (although I do have one) but have to say it was great fun seeing a friend of ours get a notification of a new cache and seeing she and her daughter head off into the night. That teenage daughter loves the FTF scene - if it keeps her on the straight and narrow - great!

By the title, I thought this new publication was for FTFers. Maybe I am wrong - I need to re-read more thoroughly.

I have started to come to the realization and/or opinion that flask is a sock puppet for a highly placed lackey. But you didn't hear this from me. Keep it on the QT. :unsure:

Too late. I hear the black (or very dark blue) helicopters circling my house. I don't think I'll be able to resist their interrogations. Sorry, wrastro. It's been nice knowing you. If they let me out eventually with my mind intact, I'll hide a cache in your honor.

I'm not going to excuse the strength of flask's responses, but I do know that she has health issues (which she has clearly stated many times) which make it difficult and physically painful for her to type. I wish people could accept that and leave her alone about it. The fact that she posts (both in her logs and in the forums) as much as she does, is an inspiration to me, and helps encourage me to post more through my own pain and difficulties.

I'm not going to excuse the strength of flask's responses, but I do know that she has health issues (which she has clearly stated many times) which make it difficult and physically painful for her to type. I wish people could accept that and leave her alone about it. The fact that she posts (both in her logs and in the forums) as much as she does, is an inspiration to me, and helps encourage me to post more through my own pain and difficulties.

It's never been about flask's inability to do things. It's always been about her attitude towards others.

For instance. Why is it OK for her to type with all lower case but not OK for someone else to type without perfect punctuation? I come from an education that expresses that punctuation and proper use of capital letters goes hand in hand.

Aside from a mental illness, there isn't an excuse for her being so edgy at others and their flaws or shortcomings.

It's never been about flask's inability to do things. It's always been about her attitude towards others.

For instance. Why is it OK for her to type with all lower case but not OK for someone else to type without perfect punctuation? I come from an education that expresses that punctuation and proper use of capital letters goes hand in hand.

Aside from a mental illness, there isn't an excuse for her being so edgy at others and their flaws or shortcomings.

Well, that's getting into personalities and how strong or opionated people are, and there is a lot of that in these forums. :D

I just don't like seeing her badgered about how she posts when she has a reason for it, regardless of how she's treating others about their grammar or punctuation. :D

edit: (argh, even I can't spell and I don't have a decent spell check on IE and I'm having a bad night and am not going to check it elsewhere because I'm tired and cranky. :unsure::D )

Edited by Ambrosia

Well, that's getting into personalities and how strong or opionated people are, and there is a lot of that in these forums. :D

I just don't like seeing her badgered about how she posts when she has a reason for it, regardless of how she's treating others about their grammar or punctuation. :D

edit: (argh, even I can't spell and I don't have a decent spell check on IE and I'm having a bad night and am not going to check it elsewhere because I'm tired and cranky. :unsure::D )

Sorry, but I disagree and I'm sure others do as well.

Attack someone and they will respond in kind. Praise someone and you might just find how nice they can be.

Sorry, but I disagree and I'm sure others do as well.

Attack someone and they will respond in kind. Praise someone and you might just find how nice they can be.

This is the natural reaction. But we can choose to rise above that and react nicely to someone who is treating us badly. This is one of the most basic things that you try to teach to a child. It's a hard thing to do, but we can do it. :D

This is the natural reaction. But we can choose to rise above that and react nicely to someone who is treating us badly. This is one of the most basic things that you try to teach to a child. It's a hard thing to do, but we can do it. :unsure:

True but why should one have to rise above a person who gets in their face. After a while, even Ghandi would want to smack someone who was always up in their face.

~L~

This is the natural reaction. But we can choose to rise above that and react nicely to someone who is treating us badly. This is one of the most basic things that you try to teach to a child. It's a hard thing to do, but we can do it. :D

True but why should one have to rise above a person who gets in their face. After a while, even Ghandi would want to smack someone who was always up in their face.

~L~

Jesus said to turn the other cheek. :unsure:

~L~

Jesus said to turn the other cheek. :D

Yeah, and look what happened to HIM!

:unsure:

~L~

Jesus said to turn the other cheek. :D

Yeah, and look what happened to HIM!

:unsure:

Yup! Pretty amazing, actually. :D

Ok, ok....we've gotten pretty off topic while the poor mods are sleeping away peacefully. :D

I didn't want to start an argument. Just want to say, to all of us, to try and be nice while we debate. :D I probably got a bit sensitive in this specific issue, in light of my own difficulties in typing. I know that flask can defend herself. :unsure:

Coming up with a good catchy name for a geocaching magazine is just not that hard. Here are a few off the top of my head that are better than "FTF:"

The Ammo Can

5/5

The Tupperware Times

Ground Zero

Satellite Stalker

The Hidey Hole

In Plain Sight

Terrain 5

etc. etc. etc.

The name "FTF" evokes the most unattractive aspects of the hobby.

5/5 is a great idea since it takes additional equipment to find. The magazine could get retailers to sell crap in the magazine for climbing, scuba, cycling, offroad vehicles.... possibilities are endless

Perhaps the publisher doesn't much care what we think about the name... in his explanation above of how he came to choose it I don't see any interest in changing it.

On the other hand, he may be re-thinking it in the face of some of the comments and suggestions in this thread.

If he is, maybe he should run a contest for geocachers to suggest a name, choose the one he likes best from the suggestion pool and give that cacher a free lifetime subscription.

Perhaps the publisher doesn't much care what we think about the name... in his explanation above of how he came to choose it I don't see any interest in changing it.

On the other hand, he may be re-thinking it in the face of some of the comments and suggestions in this thread.

If he is, maybe he should run a contest for geocachers to suggest a name, choose the one he likes best from the suggestion pool and give that cacher a free lifetime subscription.

There are two types of businesses. Those that listen to their customers and those that fail.

Your idea is a good one. Run a small contest, or even a poll. It might get an indication of what the target audience would like. Or am I just talking insanity here?

There are two types of businesses. Those that listen to their customers and those that fail.

Your idea is a good one. Run a small contest, or even a poll. It might get an indication of what the target audience would like. Or am I just talking insanity here?

Business executives doing something that makes sense??? that really IS insanity!!!

Aight people, here we go again. This is another attempt at an actual geocaching magazine. First thing; I'm not involved with this magazine in any way. Second, I have been in contact with the publisher and they are very aware of what happened with the first magazine that was supposed to be in print and they don't want to repeat that incident. They are working hard to get this magazine up and running, but it's going take some people that are brave enough and willing, to get this thing going. Here's the link:

FTF Geocacher

sorry dont like the name.

They could name it SkirtLifter and we could all wear cute outfits like this:

http://www.mywesttexas.com/content/article...demy_sports.jpg]http://www.mywesttexas.com/content/article...demy_sports.jpg

and have cool tools to make the grab for us like this one:

http://www.mywesttexas.com/content/article...emy_sports1.jpg]http://www.mywesttexas.com/content/article...emy_sports1.jpg

:P

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

i lYke Der ideaR of a game or polE to choose it's name if dat maker wanna too

i betcha if it was ta happen sumboty wil posting negatively cuz its well known dat yew KaInt please everyone at da same tyme

The bickering on this subject hAs gaven me a Few hours of amUSmant and I thank awl who gaved up deer tyme fer me.

so PoLEeSE KEEP IT UP

I'm even going to wager that I will get a negative comment about my punctuation, spelling, grammar and capitalization after this post. That doesn’t bother me at all because I know that it is horrendous, joking or serious.

On a serious note though, I respect everyone's right to speak their opinion weather it's negative or positive.

I read all posts and try to gain something from them all. Like the fact that my credit card will now be charged $12 automatically to renew my subscription (negative post) or that some believe that the magazine is a good thing and has a good chance at succeeding (positive post).

It's all in how you look at and deal with things. You know ..."Is your cup half full or half empty? I choose for mine to always be half full, but also understand that there are certain obstacles in the lives of others that make it difficult to be positive, so I can either choose to let it affect me in a negative way or choose to respond in a positive way and help them see that things can always get brighter if they choose.

It's all good!!!

I'll be following the thread on this subject as I'm waiting for my first issue.

Take Care & Be Safe

Aight people, here we go again. This is another attempt at an actual geocaching magazine. First thing; I'm not involved with this magazine in any way. Second, I have been in contact with the publisher and they are very aware of what happened with the first magazine that was supposed to be in print and they don't want to repeat that incident. They are working hard to get this magazine up and running, but it's going take some people that are brave enough and willing, to get this thing going. Here's the link:

FTF Geocacher

Awesome! Signed up for the first 3 issues and will decide after that. But, I have a great feeling about this and look forward to receiving the first issue.

I can't believe there is so much blah, blah, blah about this. Either subscribe or don't subscribe. $12 for 3 issues of a magazine is not going to hurt my pockets and I'm just a poor peasant.

On a side note, I like reading on the throne and now I'll be able to read about geocaching while on my throne!

FTF Geocacher

Awesome! Signed up for the first 3 issues and will decide after that. But, I have a great feeling about this and look forward to receiving the first issue.

I can't believe there is so much blah, blah, blah about this. Either subscribe or don't subscribe. $12 for 3 issues of a magazine is not going to hurt my pockets and I'm just a poor peasant.

On a side note, I like reading on the throne and now I'll be able to read about geocaching while on my throne!

Perhaps if you took the time to see that three other attempts at printed Geocaching magazines have failed miserably, rather than just trying to be incendiary in both this and the Canadian forum, you might see what the "blah blah, blah" is about.

And that's a little too much information about your throne. :P

Huray for the FTF !! :P I'm In.

I'm all for promotion of a little competition. those that don't chase the FTF don't know what they are missing.

As far as the rag, I am down for a subscription. I would like to see articals on different aspects of geocaching along with HOWTO's. Articals covering things like puzzle caches, solving them as well as creating them. Articals on incorporating HTML in your profile page or Cache page.

I'm all for promotion of a little competition. those that don't chase the FTF don't know what they are missing.

Generally speaking such generalizations are wrong, generally.

I used to race out after every FTF chance that came along. In time I figured out that it wasn't something that I wanted to continue to do. So yes, I do know exactly what I am missing.

FTF Geocacher

Perhaps if you took the time to see that three other attempts at printed Geocaching magazines have failed miserably, rather than just trying to be incendiary in both this and the Canadian forum, you might see what the "blah blah, blah" is about.

And that's a little too much information about your throne. :P

LOL, I am starting fires here and in the Canadian forum? I don't even know what that means.

I have read this whole thread and I do not base this new magazine's future(success or failure) on any failed attempts by any other magazine. Basing it on that is plain silly. It would be like avoiding a new restaurant because the last few restaurants you ate at had terrible food.

Again, blah, blah, blah. If the magazine doesn't work out, I'm out possibly $12(depending on if I get all 3 issues or not). And, if it doesn't work out, blah, blah, blah me all you want....and be more specific about any concerns you have about my posts here or any other forum.

I want to point out that the publisher of the newest geocaching magazine has said that, no matter what, there WILL be 3 issues (at least) so nobody would be out their $12. They WILL get what they pay for.

Please don't make statements that imply the publisher might take your money and run.

I want to point out that the publisher of the newest geocaching magazine has said that, no matter what, there WILL be 3 issues (at least) so nobody would be out their $12. They WILL get what they pay for.

Please don't make statements that imply the publisher might take your money and run.

Please don't make statements wrt what a publisher might or might not do unless you are in a position to cause it to be so.

Please don't make statements wrt what a publisher might or might not do unless you are in a position to cause it to be so.

Did I ever tell you how much I detest annoying little gnats?

Twelve dollars is chump change. Subscription ordered. I figure that if I enjoy the magazine, I won't have to be one of those guys that has to scramble to find back issues of it if it takes off. Then there's the possibility that when it goes to publication that there may NOT be any back issues available.

Ultimately, if I don't like it, so what. Twelve dollars isn't worth crying over.

And please don't make statements you don't have the authority to make. Read my posts again, I am all for this magazine and cannot wait to receive them.

If you want to tell me what to do, please make a new thread and we can discuss it there. This thread is about a new geocaching magazine and not about you.

And please don't make statements you don't have the authority to make. Read my posts again, I am all for this magazine and cannot wait to receive them.

If you want to tell me what to do, please make a new thread and we can discuss it there. This thread is about a new geocaching magazine and not about you.

~LOL~

It's done. The first issue has been sent to the printer and will mail out to subscribers in just under 2 weeks. We are printing a limited run of the first issue so, first come - first serve. There have also been a few new developments. Thanks to the great and supportive folks at Groundspeak, in addition to collectible pathtags for the first 200 subscribers, a random sampling of 100 issues will contain a special seal and be uniquely trackable on geocaching.com. Thanks to all who have subscribed to date. News and progress updates may be found at www.ftfgeocacher.com.

It's done. The first issue has been sent to the printer and will mail out to subscribers in just under 2 weeks. We are printing a limited run of the first issue so, first come - first serve. There have also been a few new developments. Thanks to the great and supportive folks at Groundspeak, in addition to collectible pathtags for the first 200 subscribers, a random sampling of 100 issues will contain a special seal and be uniquely trackable on geocaching.com. Thanks to all who have subscribed to date. News and progress updates may be found at www.ftfgeocacher.com.

I've been watching the web, newstands, book stores and everywhere else for a magzine on Geocaching for ever now...

I can't wait to see a copy and check it out...

Will this be avalible at any major newstands/book stores, any retail locations or just Subscription only?

Going down the row at Borders or Barnes and Noble looking at all the other goofy magazine titles, I can not beleive that there is not already a successful Geocaching magazine...

I mean, kniting, UFOs, withccraft, basket making, russion nesting dolls, etc..etc... I could come up with 20 or so more... If theres a market for those.....

Again can't wait to check one out!!! Good luck!

Yay can't wait :P Hope I was in the first 200 :) I could use a new pathtag for my current collection of two hehe.

Just wanted to say that i got my first issue today, and to be honest, was pleasantly surprised. Good quality and layout with fun to read articles and nice photos. I enjoyed reading the random tips and geo-notes throughout. Oh, and the X files story was interesting fer sure! The FTF pathtag looks great and on top of that, i ended up getting one of the trackable gold seals. Very cool,,, i'm already looking forward to the next issue! :)

Just wanted to say that i got my first issue today, and to be honest, was pleasantly surprised. Good quality and layout with fun to read articles and nice photos. I enjoyed reading the random tips and geo-notes throughout. Oh, and the X files story was interesting fer sure! The FTF pathtag looks great and on top of that, i ended up getting one of the trackable gold seals. Very cool,,, i'm already looking forward to the next issue! :)

Awesome! Can't wait for mine to arrive! (I live in Canada so may take an extra few days to get here) But am patiently awaiting its arrival in the mail!