FTF Geocacher

Team Idasam

Aight people, here we go again. This is another attempt at an actual geocaching magazine. First thing; I'm not involved with this magazine in any way. Second, I have been in contact with the publisher and they are very aware of what happened with the first magazine that was supposed to be in print and they don't want to repeat that incident. They are working hard to get this magazine up and running, but it's going take some people that are brave enough and willing, to get this thing going. Here's the link:

FTF Geocacher

Edited by Team Idasam

They already lost me with the name. "FTF Geocacher" just screams competitive caching. No thanks.

Oh gosh. I really don't want to be negative, but I have to admit, that crossed my mind about the title too. But seeing as I've already apparently crossed the line of negativity, the "other" magazine, which I believe did print a first issue, was not the first attempt at a printed Geocaching magazine.

I really wish them the best of luck. ;) I'm still debating plonking down the money.

FTF just screams negative. I won't be subscribing.

I'm pretty sure they were going for catchy and iconic to geocaching, not a magazine philosophy ;). The official logs you can buy all have a spot for FTF - it's not a niche concept. Someone has to be the FTF - and for most people I'm sure it adds to the fun to find a blank logsheet :laughing:. Anyhow I'm the eternal optimist and I'm fond of reading things I can hold and smell like paper :laughing:. Go check our the website and preview pages and then decide. Basing your opinion on the name is silly IMO. Old adage about the cover and all that :blink:

I'm pretty sure they were going for catchy and iconic to geocaching, not a magazine philosophy ;). The official logs you can buy all have a spot for FTF - it's not a niche concept. Someone has to be the FTF - and for most people I'm sure it adds to the fun to find a blank logsheet :laughing:. Anyhow I'm the eternal optimist and I'm fond of reading things I can hold and smell like paper :laughing:. Go check our the website and preview pages and then decide. Basing your opinion on the name is silly IMO. Old adage about the cover and all that :blink:

While your comments ring true, there is something to be said for testing the demographic prior to taking on a project. The demographic seems to support a change of name for the magazine though I would submit that these negative title opinions are from some who wouldn't buy the magazine even if it had a more favorable name.

Personally, if I had a more positive cash flow, I would presubscribe. I would do it just to see if it's worth it.

I do agree that the name didn't hit home with me. I would love to see a name with a more elegant spin on the content of the 'zine.

I do agree that the name didn't hit home with me. I would love to see a name with a more elegant spin on the content of the 'zine.

Me too. I think the name is unfortunate, but I feel their pain!

When I was trying to come up with a name for The Online Geocacher Magazine it took quite a while to find something with 'geocacher' or 'geocaching' in it that wasn't already in use. I was amazed to discover that just about any logical and/or attractive name using 'cacher', 'geocacher' or 'geocaching' has been snapped up, though mostly by domain name resellers and blogs that haven't been updated in years.

Even then our name was sometimes confused with a similarly-named print magazine that was trying to get off the ground at the same time. As a courtesy to them I dropped 'magazine' from our name and called TOG an 'e-zine'. Since the demise of that print magazine I have gone back to calling TOG 'The Online Geocacher Magazine'.

That just points out how hard it is to find a name that identifies you memorably with your audience. It would be my bet that they had to use "FTF" to modify the word 'geocacher' in order to use it at all.

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

I'm neutral about the name. As the Bard said, what's in a name? And it's not as if there's a multitude to choose from in the first place. If I'm to judge the magazine, it'll be by its contents, not by its title.

Still, I see little need to read a bi-monthly geocaching magazine. I don't even find the need to listen to Podcacher regularly (I do catch an episode or two here and there). I find that the forums here lets me know pretty much all I want to know about the geocaching community.

Maybe I'll feel differently later. But I won't be subscribing for now.

Edited by Chrysalides

I'm neutral about the name. As the Bard said, what's in a name? And it's not as if there's a multitude to choose from in the first place. If I'm to judge the magazine, it'll be by its contents, not by its title.

Still, I see little need to read a bi-monthly geocaching magazine. I don't even find the need to listen to Podcacher regularly (I do catch an episode or two here and there). I find that the forums here lets me know pretty much all I want to know about the geocaching community.

Maybe I'll feel differently later. But I won't be subscribing for now.

The forums are great for debate and information exchange, but what you won't find much of here is what is in the magazines... stories about cachers and their adventures, like the funny one I just published a few minutes ago at http://onlinegeocacher.com/issue/real_time...e-coochie-cache

Coming up with a good catchy name for a geocaching magazine is just not that hard. Here are a few off the top of my head that are better than "FTF:"

The Ammo Can

5/5

The Tupperware Times

Ground Zero

Satellite Stalker

The Hidey Hole

In Plain Sight

Terrain 5

etc. etc. etc.

The name "FTF" evokes the most unattractive aspects of the hobby.

Edited by fizzymagic

"FTF Geocacher" is pretty clunky as a title. I know that some abhor the principle, but I think "FTF" would be a great title for a magazine about geocaching. I don't view the FTF race as being a promotion of competition (you can always opt out), so those three letters don't bother me in the least.

That being said, I don't see much of a need for print media. A professionally run blog would serve the same audience without cutting down trees and adding to landfills....kind of like a Forum ;)

"FTF Geocacher" is pretty clunky as a title. I know that some abhor the principle, but I think "FTF" would be a great title for a magazine about geocaching. I don't view the FTF race as being a promotion of competition (you can always opt out), so those three letters don't bother me in the least.

That being said, I don't see much of a need for print media. A professionally run blog would serve the same audience without cutting down trees and adding to landfills....kind of like a Forum ;)

You just made me think of a great title for a geocaching magazine.

"TFTC!"

I swear, this one would fly!!

Those of you who love to hate on the FTF so much are the ones that don't have the dedication to chase the FTF and are jealous of those who do.

You do know Groundspeak has a policy against sock puppet accounts, right?

Bet they waive that rule for sock puppets that purchase a premium membership.

I don't love the name. I think it gives the connotation that the magazine will focus on the activity only in the competitive sense, which isn't going to appeal to the entire potential audience. So it seems like a poor choice. Why choose something that will likely eliminate some potential readers right off the bat, especially if the magazine isn't actually only about that subject?

Regardless, I will happily buy a well written geocaching magazine and certainly wish anyone making a go at it all the best. Based on the previous failures though, I am not likely to pre-subscribe. I hate to punish a new venture based on others' past failures, but I'm afraid that is simply the case here, based mainly on the last guy who tried, who came out of nowhere and made a lot of sincere sounding empty promises. But put out a good first issue and I'll likely sign up.

Just signed up. Most anything that promotes "MY" hobby, I am down.

TFTC is a great name. I have a lot of hides and unfortunately I see that a lot.

Why does this place hate the FTF so much?

For me it is not an issue of hating FTF. Although I personally am not at all into it, I don't hate people who seek to be FTF or hate that it is a part of the activity for some people. That really makes no difference to me. Instead, my concern is that people who seek to be FTF are only a small part of the activity, and some don't care for the activity being viewed as solely competitive. So, naming a magazine with FTF indicates that it is for only a portion of those involved and also has the potential to turn off some people. That seems like a rather bad idea from a marketing standpoint.

For me it is not an issue of hating FTF. Although I personally am not at all into it, I don't hate people who seek to be FTF or hate that it is a part of the activity for some people. That really makes no difference to me. Instead, my concern is that people who seek to be FTF are only a small part of the activity, and some don't care for the activity being viewed as solely competitive. So, naming a magazine with FTF indicates that it is for only a portion of those involved and also has the potential to turn off some people. That seems like a rather bad idea from a marketing standpoint.

My thoughts exactly! Thank you for letting me know I was not alone. It's just that I was like the 3rd person to reply to the OP. ;) Ultimately, I believe the competitive "FTF game" is played by only a teensy-weensy little minority of Geocachers.

If you want an example of how negatively the FTF game can be viewed by some outsiders to the hobby, namely some writers for Law and Order SVU, check out the first 6.5 minutes of this episode from a few months ago.

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel
Those of you who love to hate on the FTF so much are the ones that don't have the dedication to chase the FTF and are jealous of those who do.

Not if their other account is banned. Isn't that right Man in Stripes? ;)

Coming up with a good catchy name for a geocaching magazine is just not that hard. Here are a few off the top of my head that are better than "FTF:"

The Ammo Can

5/5

The Tupperware Times

Ground Zero

Satellite Stalker

The Hidey Hole

In Plain Sight

Terrain 5

etc. etc. etc.

The name "FTF" evokes the most unattractive aspects of the hobby.

I disagree these are better. My gut-at-a-glance reaction to these are:

Gun Magazine

CINCO DE MAYO!

Door to door sales zine

The twin towers attack on 9-11

CIA trade zine

Nudie Bar

Nudie Bar

District 9

I think FTF evokes a knee-jerk reaction to those that have decided to feel negatively about FTF. I'm kind of non-plussed about it.

Seems like kind of a limited focus. No mention of Waymarking or Wherigo. Too bad.

I can understand why no mention of Waymarking. I think in most people's minds, Waymarking is not any kind of cache (in the classical sense).

I don't see a specific mention of Virtuals, Traditionals, Multi-Caches, or Leterbox Hybrids either. Wherigo is a Geocaching type, so I wouldn't be surprised to see it come up at some point.

It's not that I hate FTF anymore than the numbers game or micros I am simply not obsessed by those aspects of geocaching. I would not be interested in a magazine that appears to focus in on the FTF aspect. this may or may not be the case with the proposed publication but the title certainly indicates it. there is a lot to be said about a name, a poorly thought out one is an indication of the contents.

I am definately not in FTF's and some of the fights and politics that go with it.

That being said if the title bothers some, take the cover off or hide it under the matress.

I am sure there will be some interesting articles NOT about leaving the dinner table, speeding down the road, sliding sideways into a parking lot, only to find that someone signed the log yesterday.

Subscribed.

As others on this thread have mentioned I hope it isn't just about the competitive nature of the hobby. Also not a huge fan of the name, but that can always be changed if the idea flies :blink:

Looking forward to being impressed by this.

Ah a fellow optimist :laughing:. You know, in the other thread talking about starting up a magazine, someone suggested FTF Geocacher as a name. Well as a presubscriber I'm going to be FTRead it ;)

Not if their other account is banned. Isn't that right Man in Stripes? :)

WOW been a long time since I heard that name "Man in Stripes" went to Soldotna Alaska to visit my Brother in Law, and do some caching, and he was the talk of the town pretty well hated guy in those parts. Stealing TBs you name it.

Scubasonic

If people don't lay down their coin it might not shake out :)

Very true but unfortunately I have been involved with one to many projects that have asked for money before they are proven, and I have bit and lost the money although it is not that much I believe they need to prove themselves FIRST and if they have not got the funding to start with to follow through with the project, well maybe it shouldn't have been started in the first place. JMO of course !!!

I'm waiting !!!

Scubasonic

Edited by Scubasonic

Perhaps.. do they waive forum rules for trolls with premium membership though? (referring to 49thStateCacher, not to you, just so there's no misunderstanding)

Who needs a magazine when the forums have just as much info and more interesting authors? :)

And I can always read logs to get stories about geocaching, if folks tell their stories in the logs...

I keep promising myself that I will send TAR something for his Online Magazine, just never can come up with something I think is send worthy.

I was wary of Today's Cacher- it seemed to be a big project that got in over it's head.

I subscribed to the Geocacher Magazine- figured I'd give him a chance to try his hand.

I read the Online Magazine whenever TAR posts about new articles and I have time.

But I'm not into FTFs and the name kinda threw me. If it lasts, I might subscribe.

At least this publisher actually seems to geocache a bit. :)

Jen

Like others have said, the term FTF gives off a vision of competition seen in a subset of the sport.

Perhaps a larger, more inclusive term is in order. Something that includes a word like "Location" so it not only include Geocaching, but Waymarking and Wherigo as well. They could also have articles about Letterboxing and other sites.

uh, wrong.

you'd like to think you know who we are and that we're jealous, but you're wrong.

it's always interesting to see who leaves the realm of discussing the idea at hand and moves on to making comments about the emotional or intellectual state of other people.

i don't care for the way the first find culture has gone? why, i must be jealous! that's it! o, super knower of other people's states of mind, please grace us with your other insightful pronouncements.

people who don't like micros? are they sensitive about the size of their genitalia?

those who don't like puzzles? they must be mental midgets!

don't care for parking lot caches? obviously people who are afraid to drive.

don't like paddle caches? you're just jealous of my boat.

don't like paddle caches? you're just jealous of my boat.

I am jealous of your boat, flask!

i have three boats: two kayaks and a two-man whitewater raft.

having an extra boat is very, very handy if you go with a friend who's boat-less. same thing for extra mountain bikes.

It's just a name. Like I said, I've spoken with the party that's going to produce this magazine, and they have every intention of making it a great all around geocaching magazine. So what if it's called "FTF Geocacher"? There's no reason why you can't contact them and suggest other names. I'm sure that they would appreciate it. After all, it's all of us as cachers that make this game what it is. If it weren't for us, geocaching wouldn't exist. As for the argument about finding what you need to find online in regards to caching, well it's a good argument, but you can say that about anything. I go into Hastings, or Barnes and Noble and see huge racks of magazines. Why is that? I guarantee you that the people who argue this point have books and magazines in their homes, but they can just as easily go online and get the same info. If you don't like the idea of this magazine, then don't subscribe to it. Don't judge a book by its cover. :)

It's just a name. Like I said, I've spoken with the party that's going to produce this magazine, and they have every intention of making it a great all around geocaching magazine. So what if it's called "FTF Geocacher"? There's no reason why you can't contact them and suggest other names. I'm sure that they would appreciate it. After all, it's all of us as cachers that make this game what it is. If it weren't for us, geocaching wouldn't exist. As for the argument about finding what you need to find online in regards to caching, well it's a good argument, but you can say that about anything. I go into Hastings, or Barnes and Noble and see huge racks of magazines. Why is that? I guarantee you that the people who argue this point have books and magazines in their homes, but they can just as easily go online and get the same info. If you don't like the idea of this magazine, then don't subscribe to it. Don't judge a book by its cover. :)

Unfortunately names can make or break a magazine.

An example would be if you changed the title of the magazine "Time" to "Whassup" the audience would change immediately and even if the content didn't change a single bit, the magazine would die.

TFTC eliminates the competetiveness of FTF but it's more than just that.

on every cache there is only ONE FTF but every cache has the ability to have hundreds of thousands of TFTC's (even though we would all love to see a longer post). TFTC also would be a way to draw people into the concept of "rights and wrongs" of geocaching. While TFTC would be perfectly acceptable, there is more to logging many caches and the magazine could do a few features to highlight that.

As I said in another thread on this subject, I have been in the printing industry for a VERY long time and have seen projects come and go. I've seen successes and failures and, unfortunately, with the name of "FTF Geocacher", it's a little doomed. Many people don't like the FTF competetion and for that reason alone people will hate the idea of the magazine without even opening the cover.

I hardly ever chase a FTF but I still brag a little when I get one.

I decided to pre-subscibe... its not the first or second geocaching magazine I have given a chance to. I do hope that one of them eventually catches on. Magazines are perhaps becoming a bit obsolete, but I do feel they have their place. I look at a computer screen all day... I like to sit in my easy chair and read something non-Electronic when I can.

I subscribe to another magazine with a total distribution of about 500 and it is printed monthly since 2001 so I know that even with a small number of subscribers a magazine can work.