Needs Archived

ItisTrue

GCY9MX

The above cache has had a needs archived tag on it for almost 2 months. The cache owner refuses to answer email or check on the cache.

What should be done in this circumstance? Thank you

Ignore it and move on.

Unless you want to place a cache and it's in the way, then you can nudge the reviewer a little to archive it.

GCY9MX

The above cache has had a needs archived tag on it for almost 2 months. The cache owner refuses to answer email or check on the cache.

instead of trying to be the cache police with a 146 finds under your belt.why don't you try finding out if you can help the co out first and try to save a cache thats been around since 2006.drop a new container out there and if the spiders scare you that bad take some bug spray with ya.you never know the co might be having some hard times right now and can't do it himself.

GCY9MX

instead of trying to be the cache police with a 146 finds under your belt.why don't you try finding out if you can help the co out first and try to save a cache thats been around since 2006.drop a new container out there and if the spiders scare you that bad take some bug spray with ya.you never know the co might be having some hard times right now and can't do it himself.

I don't see why their number of finds would be relevant. The purpose of archiving a cache isn't just about nabbing the spot, it's so people who don't have access to attributes or recent logs while out caching don't have a frustrating experience. This seems to be in a muggly spot as a quick look showed replacements in Sept 08 and May 09. Starting in July there are DNF only and very few whereas the norm was several finds a month. OP posted a needs maintenance in Sept - no note on page from CO, and they've logged in since then. I would try emailing the CO directly. If after that Id heard no word I would have done the same as you. If the CO is not responding at all to offers of help or to check to see if it's there, you have no way of knowing if the container is really missing, and have no way to edit description or coords if needed, remove needs maintenance attributes, etc.

GCY9MX

What?!?!?!? ;) Posting an SBA makes you the cache Police? Having 146 finds doesn't qualify you to post an SBA be the cache Police? Someone should try to "save" someone elses cache, and drop a throwdown?

No offense, but let me think here if I've ever saw a post on these forums that I disagreed more with. :blink:

The local reviewer is supposed to get an SBA posted for any cache in their territorry. Your reviewer obviously missed this one. Actually, with only two posted DNF's, I'm not so sure there is enough evidence for this one to be archived right now.

if it's like my area (lots of dnfs not posted) you have to read between the DNFs. Look how often the cache was found in previous months (multiple per month) versus over the past several months (zero).

GCY9MX

What?!?!?!? ;) Posting an SBA makes you the cache Police? Having 146 finds doesn't qualify you to post an SBA be the cache Police? Someone should try to "save" someone elses cache, and drop a throwdown?

No offense, but let me think here if I've ever saw a post on these forums that I disagreed more with. :blink:

The local reviewer is supposed to get an SBA posted for any cache in their territorry. Your reviewer obviously missed this one. Actually, with only two posted DNF's, I'm not so sure there is enough evidence for this one to be archived right now.

You seem to forget, he can't put down a new cache container if he hasn't found it and doesn't even know where it goes...

Oh yeah.

Also, the cache owner is the owner of the cache. If he wants to keep it going, it's his perogative.

Maybe the guy doesn't want to get maintenance e-mails for the rest of his life on this, who knows?

Although it may not be up for a finder to decide if it needs archiving after only two DNF's the facts are,

That it hasn't been found since May. Summer is the biggest geocaching time. No finds in summer and the fact that a great deal of people don't log their DNF's kinda suggests it's not there.

and putting a "Needs maintenance" on it draws the attention of the reviewer.

This thing needs to at least be disabled to not further frustrate cachers, and since the owner's not doing it, the only other person who CAN do it is the reviewer.

Why the reviewers not responding is a mystery.

Maybe the cache belongs to him. ;)

No offense, but let me think here if I've ever saw a post on these forums that was more inherently contradictory. ;)

Yes, one or more reviewers are notified when someone enters a "Needs Archived" log. But that does NOT mean that the cache will be archived right away. In the majority of cases, either the cache is disabled and the owner is asked to do maintenance, or no public action is taken at all. Even if you don't see a log from the reviewer on the cache page, that doesn't mean that he or she has "obviously missed" the archive request. The reviewer may have written a private e-mail, or placed the cache on their watchlist or a bookmark list to await further developments.

By way of example, I have eleven caches on a bookmark list right now where a "Needs Archive" was logged, but I haven't done anything except to monitor the listing. In most cases, the logs should have been "Needs Maintenance" ("the log is full so the cache should be archived") or "DNF" ("I couldn't find the cache so it should be archived"). One of those "missing" caches was found yesterday so I just deleted it from the bookmark list.

In the OP's example, with only two DNF's and an active owner, I would not have taken any action beyond bookmarking the cache after receiving the "Needs Archived" log. It's not even clear that the OP searched for the cache - there is no DNF log from their account. If there were five DNF's, I might think differently. That is one reason why it's important for everyone to log their DNF's.

This thing needs to at least be disabled to not further frustrate cachers, and since the owner's not doing it, the only other person who CAN do it is the reviewer.

Maybe the cache belongs to him. ;)

Maybe you should understand how the system functions before poking at the reviewer. A "Needs Maintenance" log does NOT draw the attention of the reviewer. There is no notice sent to reviewers when "Needs Maintenance" is logged. That is the entire reason why the log type was added. Only a "Needs Archived" log is sent automatically to a local reviewer.

I hope that my prior post helps you to clear up the "mystery" feelings you are having.

GCY9MX

like most noobs

when i started caching i wanted to do the same thing on some caches i looked for and didn't find or thought they were gone.i thought i was doing good for the game.But thankfully i had a old timer like your self explain to me on how i really should handle it.In my short time of caching i've found several caches right after someone with a low find count logged should be SBA or it's not there b/c they didn't find it.Thats why i brought up their find count.And second i said contact the co first to see if you can help or replace the cache.I just didn't word it right my bad.I would never suggest or do a throw down unless the co said it was ok.

GCY9MX

Calling into question a cacher's number of finds is not appropriate.

GCY9MX

If it's wrong then i'm sorry to the op.

No offense, but let me think here if I've ever saw a post on these forums that I disagreed more with. :laughing:

No offense, but let me think here if I've ever saw a post on these forums that was more inherently contradictory. :blink:

Ouch. That was a zinger. Thanks. ;)

I cut off most of your post for brevity, but I agree, there's no reason to suspect one or more reviewers did not see the SBA for this cache. I will say though, that I've called seemingly "missed" SBA's (not posted by me) to one or more reviewers attention in the past, and they pretty much admitted to missing it.

And Keystone and Opalblade's post made me look at that cache more closely. It does seem a classic case of people not logging their DNF's. The cache page also says the cache is within 2 feet of that City Benchmark pictured in the cache description. This baby probably is missing. And EEEEK!! Black Widow's in the hiding spot? Glad their ain't any of them in my neck of the woods.

GCY9MX

If it's wrong then i'm sorry to the op.

Yeah, that's kind of what made me strongly disagree with your post, along with the misunderstanding of dropping a "throw down". You made an apology to the OP, and it's all good. ;)

GCY9MX

After an NM was logged the reviewers get to see the cache and its their job to do something about it.

If the world won't come to a sudden end because of this, let the appropriate authorities (a.k.a. the reviewers, Groundspeak.com) sort it out. I'm actually surprised that nothing happens after 2 month, seems a little bit strange. Everybody knows now about the black widows (spiders?).

GermanSailor

After an NM was logged the reviewers get to see the cache and its their job to do something about it.

If the world won't come to a sudden end because of this, let the appropriate authorities (a.k.a. the reviewers, Groundspeak.com) sort it out. I'm actually surprised that nothing happens after 2 month, seems a little bit strange. Everybody knows now about the black widows (spiders?).

Please take note of what Keystone posted above about "Needs Maintenance" logs which are different from "Needs Archived" logs.

... snip ...

Maybe you should understand how the system functions before poking at the reviewer. A "Needs Maintenance" log does NOT draw the attention of the reviewer. There is no notice sent to reviewers when "Needs Maintenance" is logged. That is the entire reason why the log type was added. Only a "Needs Archived" log is sent automatically to a local reviewer.

I hope that my prior post helps you to clear up the "mystery" feelings you are having.

Maybe the cache belongs to him. :)

Reviewers DO NOT see MN logs

I wonder where Lil Devil is... he found the cache in question in 2006. JohnnyVegas has found it, too. I have a sneaking suspicion that this is like a cache I found several years ago. If true, the cache is very probably still there.

Hmmm, only 5 miles from my house. I don't think I ever looked for this one, though.

GCY9MX

I guess what bothers me about this one is that the OP came in with an attitude. OP did not log a DNF, so, of course, that means that he did not look for it. :) Logged an NM on a cache he didn't find. How does he know it needs maintenance??? Logged a 'needs archived' on a cache that he didn't find. Because "The cache owner refuses to answer email or check on the cache. " With an attitude like that I wouldn't answer his e-mails either!

I reject the propositon that all caches should get the same number of finds every months. These things can vary considerably.

But... Looking at the cache in question, it does seem strange that it only has two DNFs (none by OP), and no finds in quite a while. But, goodness, this does happen! I certainly do not rush out (as OP expects) every time a cacher logs a DNF. But to log an NM and a Needs Archived because he did not find it (if he even searchd for it) does seem a bit presumptuous. Entitlement!

I can think of a few caches that I DNFed six months or a year ago, that haven't had any finds since. But I would not presume that they Need Archived, or even Need Maintenance. I am quite capable of missing the obvious! But I lost that presumptuous attitude quite a long time ago.

Is the person who posts a "Needs Archive", public info?

I just ask, so that in case I ever post one on a cache, I don't want the cache owner or anyone else to get mad at me and talk smack about me in the forums! :)

That's why I like to say something like, "I don't know for sure, but it seems to me that a reviewer should be made aware of this cache" (or something to that effect) with the SBS log. Posting the log in no way is an automatic archive. All you are doing is asking for the reviewer's attention. Don't think for one second that the reviewer won't ignore your log if everything seems to be in order!

I just ask, so that in case I ever post one on a cache, I don't want the cache owner or anyone else to get mad at me and talk smack about me in the forums! :)

Hehe, seriously :) The only bad attitude I've seen with regards to needs archived is that from cachers who don't seem to think anyone should ever post a needs archived. Even if someone did post in error, and the cache owner was still on top of their cache, it would be no harm no foul. They would verify it was there, or fix it, or replace it, there would be disabling and enabling, removing of attributes that needed removing, and maybe even an archiving. What IS annoying is when (for whatever reason) a cache is MIA or no longer viable, DNF's and NM have been posted for several months and you go looking for it not realizing there are issues.

PS. Difficulty of the cache was a 1 and the two DNF's have a good bit of caches under their belts. Not to say high count cachers can't not find a cache but this one looks awfully suspicious. That poster that's 5 miles away needs to go scope it out and tell us what they found :lol: Are they going to be another cacher to not find the 1 difficulty hide? Has a reviewer note now.

Edited by Opalblade

That's why I like to say something like, "I don't know for sure, but it seems to me that a reviewer should be made aware of this cache" (or something to that effect) with the SBS log. Posting the log in no way is an automatic archive. All you are doing is asking for the reviewer's attention. Don't think for one second that the reviewer won't ignore your log if everything seems to be in order!

It's my opinion that 90% of the angst could be avoided if GC.com simply changed the title of the log from "Needs Archived" to "Needs Reviewer Attention". I understand exactly what happens when I post one, but I do also feel that the wording makes it look like I am being heavy handed in my actions. It looks like I am declaring that a cache should be removed from the website, when in fact, all I am doing is trying to notify a reviewer that the cache needs attention.

A good example is GC1H47P. A quick glance shows that it it should be a perfectly viable cache, yet a closer look at the last two find logs reveals that the cache has deteriorated to geo-trash. I would have no desire to go look for this cache unless I was on a mission to replace it for the absentee owner who participated in our sport for two weeks in late 2008. I have never been there and have no desire to do so with the cache in it's current condition, yet there are many here who are of the opinion that I do not have the right to bring the cache to the attention of the reviewer. I feel that I do.

Once you post a Needs Archived log it is up to the cache owner and the local reviewer to deal with it as they see fit. If it bothers you, put the cache on your Ignore list.

If you really want to help out the caching community, you should be sure to log your DNFs as well. Your interest in the cache carries much more credibility if you can actually show you have LOOKED for the thing. A string of DNFs is also more likely to show the cache owner and/or the reviewers that there is indeed a problem -- right now we can only infer that the Found It logs have dried up because the cache is missing and/or inaccessible.

All logs on the cache page are identified by the cacher who posted the log.

But there's nothing wrong with posting a "Need Archived" log if the cache indeed needs to be archived.

No one should "get mad" at you for posting a legitimate log.

There is nothing wrong with posting a NA log. Nobody should get mad.

However, what "should" happen is often very different to what "will" happen...

A cache where the owner is not active is usually safe...

After posting a NA log, a cacher should put it on their watchlist and forget about it for awhile and go out caching.

In some cases, what will happen is that they click on the page every few hours and wait for a response..

But there's nothing wrong with posting a "Need Archived" log if the cache indeed needs to be archived.
There is nothing wrong with posting a NA log.

I think a cacher who places a "Needs Archived" log should show courtesy with a private message to the cache owner first.

Edited by Pablo Mac

First off...

Thanks to everyone who posted their opinions on this inquiry. As a relatively new cacher, I still have a lot to learn about this sport.

Second...

I am shocked by how mad some people can get by asking a simple question. I, in no way, meant to offend anyone by asking my question.

Third...

I did look for this cache a few times and I am sorry for not posting a DNF. I thought by posting a DNF I was taking a mark of shame. I understand now that it is important for the Geocaching community to post DNFs so that other cachers, and cache owners, can be made aware.

Fourth..

I posted a Needs Archived Log because, in my understanding, (and with my previous visits to GZ) a difficulty 1/ terrain 1 cache should be easy to find. I posted a Needs Maintenance Log because I thought the cache owner should check on GZ. (There are nasty spiders there) I also sent a private message to the cache owner. When I received no response, I wanted to alert the reviewer of the cache. (I thought that was the responsible thing to do) After a few weeks of no response from the cache owner or the reviewer I wanted to alert someone at GC.com so I posted my question in this forum to direct attention to the cache.

GCY9MX

I guess what bothers me about this one is that the OP came in with an attitude. **snip**

Came in with attitude? Not sure where this statement comes from. :rolleyes:

To the OP, I think you were asking a legitimate question. I don't "see" any attitude in your post. You emailed the owner. No response. Maybe you emailed the owner a couple times. I don't know. Nevertheless, the CO never responded nor did he or she communicate via the cache page. It's not unreasonable to presume the CO is MIA.

About a year ago I found a cache that was a mess. Emailed the owner. No response. CO had not logged on in several months. Emailed the reviewer about adoption and was told that there are no adoptions anymore but I can surely help to maintain. Which I did. Last week I checked on the "last visit" by the owner and saw it was recent. Another email to the CO and he told me he was "back" and would like to keep the cache. No problem. I told him what I did and he was grateful.

BTW, at the time I "fixed" the cache, I think I had maybe 50 finds so I apologize if I wasn't "qualified" to be so presumptuous. And I only have 195 finds now so maybe I'm not even qualified to make the above statement.

[bows to the posters here with so much more experience]

Fourth..

I posted a Needs Archived Log because, in my understanding, (and with my previous visits to GZ) a difficulty 1/ terrain 1 cache should be easy to find. I posted a Needs Maintenance Log because I thought the cache owner should check on GZ. (There are nasty spiders there) I also sent a private message to the cache owner. When I received no response, I wanted to alert the reviewer of the cache. (I thought that was the responsible thing to do) After a few weeks of no response from the cache owner or the reviewer I wanted to alert someone at GC.com so I posted my question in this forum to direct attention to the cache.

:):huh::D:D

Yeah, you gotta log the DNFs. It's no shame at all. I've logged multiple DNFs on the same very difficult cache. :D:D:D:D Of course you probably didn't know that because, unlike the 1000+ finders here, you just don't have enough finds to know any better. :rolleyes: Keep caching. You'll be qualified in a couple years!!

I used the smilies so nobody thinks I have an attitude. :P

Each SBA log carries it's own set of circumstances.

I've left SBA logs for caches I've never even looked for. I did it based on logs only. If I see a string of logs that say "found container full of water and bugs" and then 3 months go by with no response from the CO and a couple DNF's after the NM log, I will post SBA because I know a reviewer will look at it.

I've also left a SBA log or two on caches I have looked for and found to be lacking in maintenance for a long time with NM logs.

Do I Email the CO? Nope. I won't leave SBA logs if the CO has logged in in a recent amount of time. If they haven't logged in in a recent amount of time it's a safe bet they won't be reading the logs anyhow.

And, if the CO is going to care for their cache, the SBA log doesn't mean squat because the reviewer gives them time (around here) to fix the cache before it's archived.

I think a cacher who places a "Needs Archived" log should show courtesy with a private message to the cache owner first.

Why?

The "Needs Archived" log functionality was provided by Groundspeak for exactly this purpose.

There's nothing wrong with posting a legitimate log if the cache indeed needs to be archived (for whatever reason).

Also, it's part of the cache history.

Why?

The "Needs Archived" log functionality was provided by Groundspeak for exactly this purpose.

There's nothing wrong with posting a legitimate log if the cache indeed needs to be archived (for whatever reason).

Also, it's part of the cache history.

A "Needs Archive" means that the owner is lacking in performance of their maintenance duties. Posting this without first contacting the owner is tantamount to call the cache owner a slackard. The polite thing to to would be to give the owner an opportunity to fix the problems before getting a reviewer involved - even though in most instance the reviewer is going to give the cache owner an opportunity to fix the problem. The "Needs Maintenace" log was added as a way cachers could point out problems to a cache owner before raising this to a call for reviewer intervention. I wouldn't use the Needs Archive except for the following.

1. The cache needs immediate attention, for example, the cache is on private property without permission and the property owner has asked that the cache be removed.
  2. A "Needs Maintenance" request has been ignored for an excessive period.
  3. There are several DNFs or Needs Maintenance requests and the cache owner appears to no longer be active.

I think the title of "Cache Police" is dead on. You fired off a Needs Archived log without even looking to see if it was there. It begs the question: How can you be certain it Needs Archiving, (or even needs maintenance), if you can't even be bothered with looking for it? It makes you look like someone who has nothing better to do than perusing cache pages, looking for DNF strings. If you feel compelled to post such logs, could you at least check to see if the cache is there first? It would certainly lend some credence to your complaint.

I think the title of "Cache Police" is dead on. You fired off a Needs Archived log without even looking to see if it was there. It begs the question: How can you be certain it Needs Archiving, (or even needs maintenance), if you can't even be bothered with looking for it? It makes you look like someone who has nothing better to do than perusing cache pages, looking for DNF strings. If you feel compelled to post such logs, could you at least check to see if the cache is there first? It would certainly lend some credence to your complaint.

Actually he said he searched for it multiple times. Just didn't post his DNFs,

unlike the 1000+ finders here, you just don't have enough finds to know any better.

I figured out the whole DNF thing before ever hunting a cache.

Never realised it was so complex... :anibad:

Can I join Bittsen and his ranks of uber geniuses? :P:D

No, You have yet to qualify for Uber Genius 1.0

:D

Wow....

Did you not read my earlier post? And are you that ignorant that you would assume I had not looked for the cache? Check your facts buddy before you spew your venom at someone. I live like 2 minutes from GZ and I DID look. Maybe you should do some looking at earlier posts?

Wow....

Did you not read my earlier post? And are you that ignorant that you would assume I had not looked for the cache? Check your facts buddy before you spew your venom at someone. I live like 2 minutes from GZ and I DID look. Maybe you should do some looking at earlier posts?

You never posted your DNF, and that's your punishment. Cache cop meet forum cop :P Calm down and put away your squirt guns. :anibad:

And are you that ignorant that you would assume I had not looked for the cache?

Yup. That's me. Just your everyday idiot. Could be your lack of DNFs led me to believe that you hadn't searched for it? :anibad:

How "ignorant" does someone have to be to believe that posting a DNF is taking a mark of shame?

Did you look for it? Supposedly you did. Did you find it? Supposedly you did not.

Sounds like a "Did Not Find" to me. Is this really that hard to comprehend?... :P

GCY9MX

What?!?!?!? :D Posting an SBA makes you the cache Police? Having 146 finds doesn't qualify you to post an SBA be the cache Police? Someone should try to "save" someone elses cache, and drop a throwdown?

make sure its NOT THERE before doing a throwdown. 3 of my harder ones had throwdowns and the original caches were still there. 3 free containers for me however :anibad::D:P

And are you that ignorant that you would assume I had not looked for the cache?

Yup. That's me. Just your everyday idiot. Could be your lack of DNFs led me to believe that you hadn't searched for it? :anibad:

How "ignorant" does someone have to be to believe that posting a DNF is taking a mark of shame?

Did you look for it? Supposedly you did. Did you find it? Supposedly you did not.

Sounds like a "Did Not Find" to me. Is this really that hard to comprehend?... :P

No it isn't. And I'd appreciate it if you would stop trying to insult me. Did I offend you in any way? If so, I apologize. If you keep up the "smack" talk I will report you. Do you comprehend this?