delorme pn-30 and maps

JZKA

with the delorme i bought i can download some maps to layer. now ive found almost 30 caches of different types without using any sort of map (well i did a couple with google maps - pre GPSr).

im thinking of getting some maps but dont know which ones (if any ) would be worth getting. the USGS high res look great but im sure that wont help me find anything quicker.

Plus, im sure any caches in the woods - i would only see tree tops on the maps - so what are your experiences with maps? thoughts?

thanks in advance

You pretty much already have your answer. If you're doing urban caches and have the Hi Res available for your area, they can be very useful. If your caching in the woods, the color aerial are hit & miss. You will primarily see the tops of trees but if you're in a clearing and the cache is hidden by one of just a few trees it may help, not that imagery is really needed in a case like that. You might check out the black & white aerials. Since they are taken during winter months when the trees are bare you might see better detail in wooded areas.

You pretty much already have your answer. If you're doing urban caches and have the Hi Res available for your area, they can be very useful. If your caching in the woods, the color aerial are hit & miss. You will primarily see the tops of trees but if you're in a clearing and the cache is hidden by one of just a few trees it may help, not that imagery is really needed in a case like that. You might check out the black & white aerials. Since they are taken during winter months when the trees are bare you might see better detail in wooded areas.

being in FLORIDA - no many bare trees around any time of the year ;)

heck - it was over 70 today. ill go hide while everyone in the snow hunts me down :blink:

being in FLORIDA - no many bare trees around any time of the year :blink:

heck - it was over 70 today. ill go hide while everyone in the snow hunts me down :laughing:

Good point. I usually catch where someone is from before I make the comment about trees in winter but missed it this time ;) .

Imagery is as useful as you make it. For me, having the color aerials will be about the same as the B&W with the evergreens around here. The color aerial at least let's me know where the clearing is where I might want to land my butt if I'm in trouble (and frankly if I am, I didn't use my GPS correctly). I can also see a break in the trees where service roads, trails and streams or creeks may be. Knowing how to read the lay of the land helps. With the topo overlay in hybrid mode, I can make and have made more intelligent decisions with the imagery.

In the case of Florida, having views of the everglades and the waterways may be handy if you're finding yourself near these areas.

I agree, around water the aerial imagery is very useful. Knowing which side of the water the cache is on is pretty important ... you don't want to wind up 30 feet from the cache, on the wrong side of the water. ;)

But I have to say ... I use the aerial imagery on my PN-40 a LOT less than I thought I would. It's cool to have, but I use it every few months, not every few days.

...Sam