Unusual stash by my cache

Opalblade

I'm not sure how many people have tried to find my latest cache b/c they are not big on logging DNF's around here. I gave it a difficultly of 2 but may have to up it. First person that I know of that went looking found it after a hint from me (she called)...but she also found a bag under a big rock about a foot from ground zero with a buddha and an empty urn inside. Hiding my cache did not involve lifting really big rocks so I had no idea that stuff was there. I've now had a second cacher email me to ask if the two small statues from an Eastern religion are my cache even though there was no logbook or marbles to be found. I really really really really don't want to move my cache. I found the cutest clearing behind a big sign for the park and the perfect little hidey spot for my little cache. But obviously there is now this issue. Thoughts? And why would Buddha statues be hidden in a bag under a big rock in a park? They couldn't be stolen valuables could they?

Edited by Opalblade

I'm not sure how many people have tried to find my latest cache b/c they are not big on logging DNF's around here. I gave it a difficultly of 2 but may have to up it. First person that I know of that went looking found it after a hint from me (she called)...but she also found a bag under a big rock about a foot from ground zero with a buddha and an urn inside. Hiding my cache did not involve lifting really big rocks so I had no idea that stuff was there. I've now had a second cacher email me to ask if the two small statues from an Eastern religion are my cache even though there was no logbook or marbles to be found. I really really really really don't want to move my cache. I found the cutest clearing behind a big sign for the park and the perfect little hidey spot for my little cache. But obviously there is now this issue. Thoughts? And why would Buddha statues be hidden in a bag under a big rock in a park? They couldn't be stolen valuables could they?

Presumably the urn would indicate that there are remains of a deceased loved one. If you move them you would be disturbing a grave and Buddha wouldn't look kindly on that, but since Buddha is a benevolent diety its not like you would be punished and sent to eternal damnation like some other dieties would do.

What would I do? I would move my cache.

What should you do? Well thats up to you and your conscience, and how much you worry about karma.

I was told it was an empty urn and a buddha, and the next person said it was two Eastern Religion statues. So probably noone's remains. I pretty much already know that I will be moving the cache, really just wanting to tell my sad (and unusual) story. My spot was very very awesome and sneaky, and barely over the 500 ft minimum to be able to be in the park.

Wouldn't it be illegal to put ashes in a park?

I'm not sure how many people have tried to find my latest cache b/c they are not big on logging DNF's around here. I gave it a difficultly of 2 but may have to up it. First person that I know of that went looking found it after a hint from me (she called)...but she also found a bag under a big rock about a foot from ground zero with a buddha and an urn inside. Hiding my cache did not involve lifting really big rocks so I had no idea that stuff was there. I've now had a second cacher email me to ask if the two small statues from an Eastern religion are my cache even though there was no logbook or marbles to be found. I really really really really don't want to move my cache. I found the cutest clearing behind a big sign for the park and the perfect little hidey spot for my little cache. But obviously there is now this issue. Thoughts? And why would Buddha statues be hidden in a bag under a big rock in a park? They couldn't be stolen valuables could they?

Presumably the urn would indicate that there are remains of a deceased loved one. If you move them you would be disturbing a grave and Buddha wouldn't look kindly on that, but since Buddha is a benevolent diety its not like you would be punished and sent to eternal damnation like some other dieties would do.

What would I do? I would move my cache.

What should you do? Well thats up to you and your conscience, and how much you worry about karma.

More information that you would possibly care to know about Buddhism

(no, I don't know how accurate it is. I'm not an expert in Buddhism. Not even close)

I'd probably move it, but if I don't want to do that, I'd add a note on the cache page (and the hint) saying it is not under any heavy rock. That should cut down the number of people finding the wrong object (which we don't really know what it is).

"Wouldn't it be illegal to put ashes in a park?"

Probably. What kind of a park is it? Most public parks that I have ever been to would not allow you to leave a random Buddah and urn lying around either. That is just plain weird. Makes you wonder what the owner of those items had in mind. I'd be worried that someone would steal the stuff, just plain odd.

Based on the possibility that the location is something spiritual to someone, I think I would move my cache. Obviously there is no way to know for sure, but I would hate to be a contributing factor to the disturbance of something that might have a lot of meaning to someone. Sure, nobody likes to give up a cache spot that they really like, but there are plenty of other great places to hide caches.

Based on the possibility that the location is something spiritual to someone, I think I would move my cache. Obviously there is no way to know for sure, but I would hate to be a contributing factor to the disturbance of something that might have a lot of meaning to someone. Sure, nobody likes to give up a cache spot that they really like, but there are plenty of other great places to hide caches.

While it may be religious in nature, i'm thinking it's something more criminal. I really have no idea how or why, but is it possible that this is somehow drug related? A "get high with Buddha" idea that someone came up with? Why hide this stuff under a rock? ;)

I might move my cache but, until i found out for sure, it wouldn't be because of religion... :blink:

Imaginary posting to a Buddhist message board that probably doesn't exist:

-----------------------------------------

Subject: Unusual stash by my shrine

I placed an urn and Buddha under a rock in my late husband's favorite park, to honor his memory. Last week I went there to meditate and saw two scruffy-looking guys leaving the area carrying a small backpack and something that looked like a bright yellow cell phone. I was curious about why they were in my special spot, so I looked around and found a container full of Happy Meal toys.

Why on earth would anyone place a container full of McCrap in my beautiful spot? Could this have something to do with drug dealing? Maybe the toys are stolen? Should I call the police?

------------------------------------------

People do strange things. Or at least, things that seem strange to those who don't know the reasons for them. I wouldn't worry about the Buddha under the rock, just edit your cache description to say that the cache is not under a rock, and the Buddha isn't the cache.

We tend to think of a cache in our terms, and forget that folks have been caching things in hidden places for safekeeping since the dawn of time. Somebody left it there for whatever reason, ignore it and move on!

As far as the assumption 'I don't know what it is so it must be criminal, probably drug related' goes, some folks need to turn off the 24/7 news channels that are scaring them so badly. ;)

While it may be religious in nature, i'm thinking it's something more criminal. I really have no idea how or why, but is it possible that this is somehow drug related? A "get high with Buddha" idea that someone came up with? Why hide this stuff under a rock? ;)

I might move my cache but, until i found out for sure, it wouldn't be because of religion... :blink:

I really doubt it is criminal in nature. I have dealt with a lot of criminal cases in my employment, some of them rather bizarre, and I have never heard of such a thing being related to criminal activity. All signs point to it being something religious.

If I didn't know what it was, I would be more suspicious of a geocache found in the woods than a Budda and an urn!

While it may be religious in nature, i'm thinking it's something more criminal. I really have no idea how or why, but is it possible that this is somehow drug related? A "get high with Buddha" idea that someone came up with? Why hide this stuff under a rock? :rolleyes:

I might move my cache but, until i found out for sure, it wouldn't be because of religion... :P

That's a terrible assumption to make, especially with what few and unrelated clues you were given.

If the contents were Judeo-Christian in nature, would all of you jest as you are doing?

Either way, I find it distasteful.

Opalblade, its best to move the cache, this place has some type of spiritual significance to Buddhists in your area.

It's best that you do not bring others to the area that may disturb prayers or whatever these people are doing here.

Edited by buttaskotch

If the contents were Judeo-Christian in nature, would all of you jest as you are doing?

I would. Jesus has a sense of humor, even if many of His followers seem to have misplaced theirs.

Opalblade, its best to move the cache, this place has some type of spiritual significance to Buddhists in your area.

It's best that you do not bring others to the area that may disturb prayers or whatever these people are doing here.

You're making an assumption. We know that at least ONE person has placed some items under a rock. All the rest of this -- that it has spiritual significance, that Buddhists are visiting the area to pray -- is a story you have made up in your head. It may be true, but we don't really know that.

Assuming that this is a public area, the cache has as much right to be there as the other stuff does.

I found the cutest clearing behind a big sign for the park and the perfect little hidey spot for my little cache.

Looks like someone else found it first.

Okay, here's the thing. Geocaching is just a tiny little hobby in a huge world of other activities that folks do. There is bound to be collisions. Don't worry about interfering with the activities of another person--in general.

You mentioned your cache is about a foot from this other spot. What would you do if you weren't the interloper and that was "your" spot? What would you want to happen?

Me, I'd move the cache a little ways away. If the purpose of the cache is to highlight the clearing, then post a spoiler picture to the cache page--either in the open or as link. I'd do it in the open so it shows up in the description. That way the finders get the benefit of seeing the clearing with a less of a chance of finding the other objects.

You can move the cache less than 528' as part of your maintenance of the cache.

I sincerely doubt the clearing has any spiritual significance for anyone. The park sign is right next to a residential sidewalk. The tiny park is surrounded by houses. Within sight of the tiny clearing behind the sign is a playground and a communal residential mailbox. The items - a hand painted statue with a big belly and a small black empty ceramic vase - were wrapped in multiple grocery bags from an Asian food supermarket. If they were treasured items why would they wrap them in grocery bags? It's possible the clearing has personal significance I suppose. Maybe it's just the closest rock pile to someone's house. I can possibly move it sideways a bit but it is barely over 500 ft from the next closest cache in the park and this is the outlying one.

Edited by Opalblade

As far as the assumption 'I don't know what it is so it must be criminal, probably drug related' goes, some folks need to turn off the 24/7 news channels that are scaring them so badly. :D

Absolutely. Picture this:

Fat 40+ woman in jeans and a purple silk shirt, purse over one shoulder, standing in a public park while consulting a BlackBerry with a confused look on her face. This park shares a chainlink fence with a house, and out of the house comes a 60-something guy who wants to know what I'm doing. I explain I'm geocaching, and he launches into a ten minute angry monologue about how "You people really need to be careful because people think you're terrorists and drug dealers."

I just blinked at him. He thought *I* looked like a terrorist or a drug dealer? That tells me immediately that the terrorists have already won. And this guy kept on going, saying how they nearly called the cops on another cacher. Well gee, since I'm doing nothing illegal you can call the cops all you want, you're just wasting their time and it won't phase me one bit.

Anyways, I was pleasant and helpful, and he very grudgingly gave me a useless hint (I found the cache about thirty seconds after he left), but I found it highly suspicious that the cache got muggled shortly thereafter, as it was not in a place easily 'muggled'.

I would leave a note and disable the cache for a few weeks, or move it temporarily and come back later to see if there was a response or if anyone was visiting it. Perhaps someone emptied the urn at the site. Buddhism is a really interesting religion with parallels to many other faiths. The idea of "karma" originates directly from Buddhism. If the items eventually seem to be abandoned, then perhaps the cache would be ok there.

Ignorance (avijja), or not knowing things as they truly are, is the chief cause of Karma. Dependent on ignorance arise activities (avijja paccaya samkhara) states the Buddha in the Paticca Samuppada (Dependent Origination).

Associated with ignorance is the ally craving (tanha), the other root of Karma. Evil actions are conditioned by these two causes. All good deeds of a worldling (putthujana), though associated with the three wholesome roots of generosity (alobha), goodwill (adosa) and knowledge (amoha), are nevertheless regarded as Karma because the two roots of ignorance and craving are dormant in him. The moral types of Supramundane Path Consciousness (magga citta) are not regarded as Karma because they tend to eradicate the two root causes.

Who is the doer of Karma?

Who reaps the fruit of Karma?

Does Karma mould a soul?

In answering these subtle questions, the Venerable Buddhaghosa writes in the Visuddhi Magga:

"No doer is there who does the deed;

Nor is there one who feels the fruit;

Constituent parts alone roll on;

This indeed! Is right discernment."

For instance, the table we see is apparent reality. In an ultimate sense the so-called table consists of forces and qualities.

For ordinary purposes a scientist would use the term water, but in the laboratory he would say H 2 0.

In this same way, for conventional purposes, such terms as man, woman, being, self, and so forth are used. The so-called fleeting forms consist of psychophysical phenomena, which are constantly changing not remaining the same for two consecutive moments.

Buddhists, therefore, do not believe in an unchanging entity, in an actor apart from action, in a perceiver apart from perception, in a conscious subject behind consciousness.

Who then, is the doer of Karma? Who experiences the effect?

Volition, or Will (tetana), is itself the doer, Feeling (vedana) is itself the reaper of the fruits of actions. Apart from these pure mental states (suddhadhamma) there is no-one to sow and no-one to reap.

The Christian heaven and hell seems to be a simplified explanation of karma.

As far as the assumption 'I don't know what it is so it must be criminal, probably drug related' goes, some folks need to turn off the 24/7 news channels that are scaring them so badly. :D

Absolutely. Picture this:

Fat 40+ woman in jeans and a purple silk shirt, purse over one shoulder, standing in a public park while consulting a BlackBerry with a confused look on her face. This park shares a chainlink fence with a house, and out of the house comes a 60-something guy who wants to know what I'm doing. I explain I'm geocaching, and he launches into a ten minute angry monologue about how "You people really need to be careful because people think you're terrorists and drug dealers."

I just blinked at him. He thought *I* looked like a terrorist or a drug dealer? That tells me immediately that the terrorists have already won. And this guy kept on going, saying how they nearly called the cops on another cacher. Well gee, since I'm doing nothing illegal you can call the cops all you want, you're just wasting their time and it won't phase me one bit.

Anyways, I was pleasant and helpful, and he very grudgingly gave me a useless hint (I found the cache about thirty seconds after he left), but I found it highly suspicious that the cache got muggled shortly thereafter, as it was not in a place easily 'muggled'.

He really rolled out the red carpet for an ordinary, honest citizen, didn't he? Ever wonder how parks become targets for the sort of people he ranted about? It's easy, first you drive out all the ordinary, honest citizens. When they won't go to the park anymore it's open season for trouble makers.

The dude is a self-fulfilling prophecy if ever there was one. :D

While it may be religious in nature, i'm thinking it's something more criminal. I really have no idea how or why, but is it possible that this is somehow drug related? A "get high with Buddha" idea that someone came up with? Why hide this stuff under a rock? :D

I might move my cache but, until i found out for sure, it wouldn't be because of religion... :D

That's a terrible assumption to make, especially with what few and unrelated clues you were given.

I know we don't have all the facts, but i stand by my "opinion". There's nothing terrible here. Believe me, i really do strive to look for the good in the world but from what we were given, this just doesn't look kosher to me. It may indeed be harmless,,, still, i can't imagine why anyone would hide a Buddha and ceramic vase in plastic grocery bags under a rock.

It may indeed be harmless,,, still, i can't imagine why anyone would hide a Buddha and ceramic vase in plastic grocery bags under a rock.

And whoever hid it can't imagine why anyone would hide a sandwich container full of Happy Meal toys under s bush. Just because it's outside of your comprehension, doesn't mean that it must be evil.

It may indeed be harmless,,, still, i can't imagine why anyone would hide a Buddha and ceramic vase in plastic grocery bags under a rock.

And whoever hid it can't imagine why anyone would hide a sandwich container full of Happy Meal toys under s bush. Just because it's outside of your comprehension, doesn't mean that it must be evil.

Sounds like you just want to argue but i'm not going there. These forums sometimes ask for opinions and i have given mine. I'm not saying with absolute certainty that this is some evil doing. Just like you, i don't know. But with the info given, i lean towards the "something ain't right with this" side. :rolleyes:

I know we don't have all the facts, but i stand by my "opinion". There's nothing terrible here. Believe me, i really do strive to look for the good in the world but from what we were given, this just doesn't look kosher to me.

I don't think anybody has suggested that this is kosher. :D

Oooops, :rolleyes: