Geocaching AND Turn-by-Turn in one unit

Most Garmin units that support geocaching also support auto-routing ("turn-by-turn). You just need to add the proper autorouting road maps.

My eTrex Legend HCx supports both, although it's not the best one for storing geocache info. The GPSMAP 60CSx and 76Csx do both. I'm pretty sure the Oregon's, Colorados and Dakotas all do both. The latter three model families support geocaching the best, I think.

P.S. Don't be surprised if you don't get a lot of replies to your email address. These forums are designed to have the discussion here, not through private email.

...ken...

If by "turn by turn" you mean spoken directions, the only unit that does that and works for geocaching is the Garmin Nuvi 500 or 550.

For any of Garmin's handheld units, you'll need to buy routable maps, such as City Navigator NT or the 24k maps. They do not speak the street name, but beeps at you when you are approaching a turn and when it is time to turn.

I'm looking for a GPS unit that is good for Geocaching as well as turn by turn navigation. It seems all of the units I've seen do one or the other.

Please contact me at TX_Slvreagl@yahoo.com with your suggestions. No spam, please.

I would have to say Garmin. I just got a Dakota 20 and I really like it. I have the 2010.30 street maps and a few different topo maps for the state of Ohio loaded up currently. I really like the fact that it has profiles. I have one profile for geocaching driving and one for geocaching walking. The geocaching driving automatically loads up the street maps and sets all the settings for street driving. It will route me to the geocache as close as it can then I use the geocache walking profile that is setup for topo maps and offroad routing to get me to the cache the rest of the way.

The reason I got the Dakota 20 was mainly for the 3 axis compass. It has helped nicely with finding the right spot. No more walking around in circles trying to get my bearing lol.

My GPSr, road navigator, will mute the Sirius satellite radio during the turn-by-turn voice guidance. :)

However, it will not mute the kids. :)

Mine only mutes the speaker on the driver's side, is yours a system wide mute? As far as the kids, they have the wireless headphones with the factory rear seat DVD system and it's uneffected.

My GPSr, road navigator, will mute the Sirius satellite radio during the turn-by-turn voice guidance. :)

However, it will not mute the kids. :)

Mine only mutes the speaker on the driver's side, is yours a system wide mute? As far as the kids, they have the wireless headphones with the factory rear seat DVD system and it's uneffected.

I'll have to check that next time I get somebody in the passenger seat.

No, I don't have a rear seat DVD player.

Actually, the kids are of the grand... type and they are never in my Jeep long enough to watch a movie,

even on their portable

DVD players.