Mysterious cache

CharlieZulu

Maybe there should be a time constraint before someone is allowed to plant a cache. This cacher signed up on Christmas Day (5 days ago), planted a box the next day (Boxing Day) and found one cache yesterday. This is the 5th cacher in the area this year that I know of that followed similar patterns - sign up, plant a cache within a few days of sign up (usually within the first week), usually zero finds, sometimes 1-5 finds, place a bad cache (really bad coordinates, ignoring 'no trespassing/danger' signs, leaky containers, no response to finder complaints, caches end up archived by the reviewer). I'd like to see a cacher show some commitment to the game (maybe 3 months after sign up), some interest in it (in the form of actually pursuing caches of different types) and some understanding of it (maybe a short quiz about the guidelines) when someone plants their first cache.

One problem with putting restrictions on what cachers can do based on what they have logged or hold old their account is it can limit cachers that have been caching for a while and just hive not logged finds or are just getting around to getting an account.

If only a time constraint applied then those that have been caching without an account may consider getting one sooner if they think they may someday like to plant a cache.

I'll call this simply a hazard of going for FTF. Caches placed in poor locations, or hidden poorly, or hidden in poor containers will not last long. If you're seeking a new cache, and come up on a NO TRESPASSING sign - you have only yourself to blame if you decide to walk past that sign. The cache reviewers aren't idiots either -- enough WTF type notes and logs and the cache will be re-reviewed or retracted.

Most important, let's not jump all over this new cacher and drive them out of the game.

New cachers will always exist. No matter how long a person has been caching, their first placed cache will still be their first. When I placed my first cache, I'd been to about 30 caches over a few months. Sure enough I was silly enough to think I had to list it, then run out and place it. Cache-tech was most helpful setting me straight on that one.

Take the time to educate new cachers, and we'll see less caches that we'd rather not hunt. I would like to see Groundspeak put more emphasis on the local geocaching organizations and send new cachers off to these groups, but I can understand the reasons they have for not doing so. It would be great if all new cachers would attend the Geocaching 101 type offerings typically seen at COG's Spring Fling, and GHAGAFAP - but first they have to know such events exist, and this is difficult to expect of someone who's new to the site.

Here is another thought. What is worse? A cache that "appears" only accessible by crossing a no trespassing sign, or a cachers that logs crossing a no trespassing sign while trying to get to the cache?

It doesn't matter if it is a new cache or a well visited cache. Any cacher that comes across a no trespassing sign should walk away, find a way to get to the cache with out knowingly trespassing, or assume permission has been given. If the assumption is permission has been given, then the finder should not find the cache, get their smiley, and then complain about all the no trespassing signs.

People should also keep in mind before jumping all over a cache and or the placer that not all no trespassing signs are correct. There are people out there that don't want to share the public use land near their own property and run around and place signs to chase people away.

Looks like the container is back in place. Too bad it has been archived. If you are quick enough you may be able to run out, get it, and then get your smiley before the owner makes it there and removes it now that it has been archived.

No big whoop. Kliggins, if he's read the guidelines and Cache-Tech's message just needs to verify that the 'no trespassing' signs do not apply to where his catch is located and then the cache will be re-instated. Lesson learned. If there are 'no trespassing' signs find out if they are appropriately placed. I agree and I'm surprised that some people ignored the signs and jumped the fences anyway and then wrote about it. Maybe they thought the the CO knew something they didn't know about the area and that those signs were bogus.

I agree Ted. I was insulted by the "pathetic" remark. Gee that 1 cache he found must have been a good one to make him an expert. Of course under the "profile information" his comment is "I hate you and everything you represent"..............might be a clue where this guy is coming from. Remember a cacher in your area like that but he has faded away I believe. I hurt myself doing one of his caches on private property. Stubbed my toe or was it my knee.....can't quite recall now.

J&D

LOL John...I knew exactly who you were talking about even before I got to your hint.

I am going to try this one again on New Year' day. I am the only that found a way in without violating no trespassing signs. It was a fairly pleasant walk most of the way. I'd like to give someone the benefit of a doubt. It may or may not be there but he did give me another clue when I emailed him. If anyone wants to join me, let me know via my account profile.

Blue_eagle ;)

I couldn't believe him. Like everybody said. He is a new cacher and he placed one before he even found one. And there he is calling us pathetic. He should have taken time to get familiar with the site. And maybe read the rules and guidelines. He placed his cache and took it back without disabling it. Making our time and effort to find it go to waste. Even worse. He took it back to his house just to scribble out the coordinates. Lets just hope we don;t meet him on the trails ;)

I can believe them and can understand their frustration. They went through the effort to place a cache for others to find. Instead of looking at their profile and giving them the benefit of the doubt because they could be a new cacher, the first reply to this thread suggests that maybe they should not have been allowed to place a cache until they have earned the right by finding more. After reading the logs on the cache and this forum, I would get the impression that the local cachers are not grateful that a new for them to find has been placed.

If there are reasons why Groundspeak won't put more emphasis on the local geocaching organizations and send new cachers off to these groups, though I would love to see theses reasons, why don't local groups take the initiative and step in to help out new cachers when situations like this show up? I am sure if a reviewer saw an experienced cacher step in to help out, they would cut a new cacher a bit of slack.

As for the no trespassing signs, I wonder if those are being encountered because the directions to enter for the cache were for the original location and not the new location. If thids cache can be found without crossing any signs, then I think it should be unarchived.

I also remember the cacher that Ted is referring to. He also criticized his fellow cachers in his profile and on the cache pages. But the cache logs spoke for themselves... and he finally took the hint.

I've seen many 'one hit wonders' that jump in, hide a bunch of caches while finding only a handful themselves. Then the logs start coming in... bad coords, PP, poor location, bad container etc. They log on for about a month, without addressing any of the issues, then fade away leaving their unmaintained caches behind. Eventually the DNF's and/or NM logs pile up and are finally flagged by a reviewer who posts a note, and sits for another 2 months until it is finally archived. If the cache is still there, nobody picks it up and it becomes yet another piece of geotrash. Wouldn't some kind of waiting period weed these people out? If they just haven't logged or just created an account, then they'd just have to wait.

Wouldn't some kind of waiting period weed these people out? If they just haven't logged or just created an account, then they'd just have to wait.

Since I started this thread, I might as well chime in...... it's a subject that's been beaten to death, but knowing what we all know now, I think when the original game was set up there should have ben a rule set up on this. The experience and ideas one gets from finding various types of caches can only help the CO when he places his first one. Maybe something simple like at least 25 finds before you can place your first.

Anyway as I said, it's been beaten to death; oh, and one more thing -- I must be getting grumpy in my old age, but when I see cache listings that are full of speling misteaks ;) or are poorly written I begin to wonder how much effort has really been put in. I'm at the point where if it doesn't seem interesting, I won't bother.

Happy New Year to all,

Chris

(CZ)

I see the cache reviewer has un-archived the cache. Does anyone know why? J&D, B&B and others went this morning to find a new way in and they told me they couldn't find one. Just curious, I would love to take another stab at it.

I see you found it....were there keys to a brand new car in the cache?

Capjap, Buttons and I went this morning and circled looking for an area to get in. Came up Derry from Guelph line and the are signs posted for both "No Trespassing and "Danger" posted on the fence. Left onto Walkers Line between Derry and 12 Side road there are many "DANGER" signs posted and it is heavly fenced in. After 12 Sideroad is the Quarry entrance with a "No Tresspasing" sign. Went down to where the stream comes out as the cache is actually on it and yep "No Tresspassing". Hmmmmmmmmmmmm circle around to Guelph Line and all the while there is "Danger" or no "Tresspassing signs" Get to Guelph line and Derry and there is a church with a cemetary and no signs saying to keep out and Parking to boot. Kinda makes sence to us that if all 4 sides of the area have signs keeping you out, than they don't want you in there so looking for that little crack in the system where someone messed up and didn't put a sign seemed kinda dumb if you look at the big picture. Loved the FTF log where they both mentioned they "only had to jump 1 fence" man that is freakin hillarious. And to post a pic of the Danger sign. Guess if 50 yards to the right of you is a Danger sign and 50 yards to the left of you there is a Danger sign and if there is only 1 fence to climb............this must be the way in. Pretend all you want about there being a way in, if you circle the area all the signs say STAY OUT. Just my opinion though. Won't be back here again...................I have to wonder what the CO said to the reviewer to get it unarchived.

Edited by John&Deere

Hello everyone. Am I to understand that all you other cachers have never crossed a fence before? I have run into tuns of caches where the wire fence has been trampled down outside a woodlot and in order to get to the cache you had to walk over it, "off leash" (GC1HHND) and "mattamy west quest" (GCNJKN) just to mention two nearby. Both these caches have a suggested entry point and guess what the fences are there. If we were wrong to hop one fence and go between fences / property lines then I apologize. Also the CO did say to enter from Walkers line. :)

Edited by Mare & Care

Hello everyone. Am I to understand that all you other cachers have never crossed a fence before? I have run into tuns of caches where the wire fence has been trampled down outside a woodlot and in order to get to the cache you had to walk over it, "off leash" (GC1HHND) and "mattamy west quest" (GCNJKN) just to mention two nearby. Both these caches have a suggested entry point and guess what the fences are there. If we were wrong to hop one fence and go between fences / property lines then I apologize. Also the CO did say to enter from Walkers line. :)

Hi Mare & Care, perhaps you didn't see my question I left earlier. I'm really interested to know if there really were keys to a "brand new car" in the cache?

Hi Mare & Care, perhaps you didn't see my question I left earlier. I'm really interested to know if there really were keys to a "brand new car" in the cache?

Yes there was an old key to a car in there but we left it.

I have 2 dogs that when not doing drive bys that day are out with me and a hike this far I would most certainly like to take them along. So NOPE don't jump, climb, trample, over fences. My theory is the fence must be there for a reason, usually to mark private or non-public areas. I have a fence in my yard for a reason. Generally speaking the area is a quarry which may use explosives in warmer weather if it is still active hence the DANGER not just NO TRESPASSING. Bottom line is if I want to do this I will have to climb over a fence.....seems like a clue to me that I am not wanted in the area. As for the excuse that others do it I don't by it........if all your friends robbed banks would it make it OK. As Keith Watson mentioned at the start of this forum "What's worse the guy who puts the cache on private property or the guy who ignores the signs and goes in anyway." I'm resposible for my choices and not others. Flintstones log states you guys were "more determined than ever" to get it so it was more important to get the FTF than to wait and see how this plays out. Again just my opinion and just worth 2 cents like everyone elses. Still love your first DNF log as an all time fav. though

Edited by John&Deere

I have to say, I sure stop and think when I get to a fence. I have been to a couple caches near Orangeville that involved crossing a fenceline and that was only after talking to the locals who knew the land was common.

It's also true there are caches that are located in Conservation areas with old fencelines that don't apply (ie - crown land north of Hilton Falls). There have also been caches like one that popped up near Georgetown that was nearly a kilometer on private land. I've seen people misinterpret the red dots that mean "no trespassing" as trail markers. You need to take all the information, and it would be great if cache owners would post trailhead co-ordinates and explain cases where the permission to enter is questionable. For all we know, this cache owner owns the quarry ...

From the Geocaching Listing Guidelines:

"By submitting a cache listing, you assure us that you have adequate permission to hide your cache in the selected location. However, if we see a cache description that mentions ignoring "No Trespassing" signs (or any other obvious issues), your listing may be immediately archived. We also assume that your cache placement complies with all applicable laws. If an obvious legal issue is present, or is brought to our attention, your listing may be immediately archived."

So, yes there are caches that involve stepping over a crushed fence. Why? Is this public land that has an old fence, or are you trespassing? You as the cache seeker are responsible for the action to cross. Good luck getting off a trespassing charge (or break and enter in some cases) with "but it's listed on Geocaching.com so it must be allowed".

I hope I never read about a hiker with a GPS being shot by some guy sitting on his back veranda, after that hiker hops a couple fences and walks toward a spruce tree in the back lot.

Even if theres a way to get into the land without goig over the fences. It is still private land... I don't mean to be stereotypical here. But kliggins looks young in his profile pictures. And being young aswell. I know that mostr other teens are up to no good. I'm not saying that completely about him. But if he places a cache in the middle of s place that has "No trespassing" signs all around every side. My best guess is that you shouldn't be there. He wrote to me today after my comment about him possibly taking it back to his house to scratch out the coordinates. But he was pissed at me. He said this

"Hate to break it to you but the cache in question was never placed and removed....it was never approved... therefore never visible. Next time don't just look at a picture, take the time to read the coordinates off the web site, and maybe go and check it out for yourself and not rely on forum rumors. I have been geocaching for 7 years now, and have just recently began to log them online. I guess I didn't feel the need to feed my ego with meaningless stats. "

-Kliggins

Oh really kliggins? You've been caching for 7 years now? Then explain why you became a member on christmas and why the picture at your first cache said "my first cache"? This whole situation is still confusing to me.

Probably one big joke. The CO probably works at the dealership and wants to see if anyone would take the key and test it on the car by the giant gorilla.

Edited by Lone R

Probably one big joke. The CO probably works at the dealership and wants to see if anyone would take the key and test it on the car by the giant gorilla.

Keys to a brand new car aren't terribly useful without the ownership papers for said car. First you get the trespassing charge, followed by the grand theft auto charge.

I have to say, I sure stop and think when I get to a fence. I have been to a couple caches near Orangeville that involved crossing a fenceline and that was only after talking to the locals who knew the land was common.

It's also true there are caches that are located in Conservation areas with old fencelines that don't apply (ie - crown land north of Hilton Falls). There have also been caches like one that popped up near Georgetown that was nearly a kilometer on private land. I've seen people misinterpret the red dots that mean "no trespassing" as trail markers. You need to take all the information, and it would be great if cache owners would post trailhead co-ordinates and explain cases where the permission to enter is questionable. For all we know, this cache owner owns the quarry ...

From the Geocaching Listing Guidelines:

"By submitting a cache listing, you assure us that you have adequate permission to hide your cache in the selected location. However, if we see a cache description that mentions ignoring "No Trespassing" signs (or any other obvious issues), your listing may be immediately archived. We also assume that your cache placement complies with all applicable laws. If an obvious legal issue is present, or is brought to our attention, your listing may be immediately archived."

So, yes there are caches that involve stepping over a crushed fence. Why? Is this public land that has an old fence, or are you trespassing? You as the cache seeker are responsible for the action to cross. Good luck getting off a trespassing charge (or break and enter in some cases) with "but it's listed on Geocaching.com so it must be allowed".

I hope I never read about a hiker with a GPS being shot by some guy sitting on his back veranda, after that hiker hops a couple fences and walks toward a spruce tree in the back lot.

Well put NorthenPenguin. When an old fence or exsisting fence does come into play CO's always (or should) mention that permission has been granted, or the trail in, or in one case of a cache I did a waypoint to turn on the trail as there was no fence between the private property and the crown land the cache was on. I myself remember doing a cache although it was not far from the road it was definatley bordering a farmers field and also near some ones driveway. I left because it just felt uncomforable being there. A few weeks I met the owner and mentioned it and he laughed and said his mom and dad lived there. Had a talk and the next day he added that to his cache page. The cache got a lot more hits after that.

The problem here is the lack of info from the cache owner as to the trailhead entry point. First he mentioned Walkers Line but I see it is now Guelph line on the cache page. Think he may mean the Church as there are no signs but you will still be hiking into an area that people don't want you in you just taking a longer route in. Didn't realize till todays visit that the whole area is surronded by No Trespassing signs or the Danger signs. No trespassing I think represents private property but the huge amount of DANGER signs wel lets see now could it be because there is something dangerous going on in the area. As more than one person has mentioned there is a quarry in the inside area and sometime blasting is done at these sights I would assume. The no trespassing could cost you a few bucks in fines but what is the risk of the Danger signs. Some of these ridges that the CO wants you to walk could be next to the quarry and ready to collapse. Or mabe it's not your lucky day and the dynomite starts going off

To be honest I think the CO being a newbie is overwhelmed at the responce and in all honesty may have thought it was a good cache in a proper area. Not sure what he told the reviewer to get it back up but the reviewer is at the mercy of the info he is given. That is why it is up to the caching public to get info out there for the CO to claify himself and the reviewer to ask the right questions of the CO.

Happy New Year to all and may all your caches be smileys in the new year

Capjap, Buttons and I went this morning and circled looking for an area to get in. Came up Derry from Guelph line and the are signs posted for both "No Trespassing and "Danger" posted on the fence. Left onto Walkers Line between Derry and 12 Side road there are many "DANGER" signs posted and it is heavly fenced in. After 12 Sideroad is the Quarry entrance with a "No Tresspasing" sign. Went down to where the stream comes out as the cache is actually on it and yep "No Tresspassing". Hmmmmmmmmmmmm circle around to Guelph Line and all the while there is "Danger" or no "Tresspassing signs" Get to Guelph line and Derry and there is a church with a cemetary and no signs saying to keep out and Parking to boot. Kinda makes sence to us that if all 4 sides of the area have signs keeping you out, than they don't want you in there so looking for that little crack in the system where someone messed up and didn't put a sign seemed kinda dumb if you look at the big picture. Loved the FTF log where they both mentioned they "only had to jump 1 fence" man that is freakin hillarious. And to post a pic of the Danger sign. Guess if 50 yards to the right of you is a Danger sign and 50 yards to the left of you there is a Danger sign and if there is only 1 fence to climb............this must be the way in. Flintstones log of "just being more determined" to get the FTF made me think that if the cache page said there were guard dogs in the area these guys would bring guns along. Pretend all you want about there being a way in, if you circle the area all the signs say STAY OUT. Just my opinion though. Won't be back here again...................I have to wonder what the CO said to the reviewer to get it unarchived.

Man, I have heard some good thoughts on this subject and then I have heard some soapbox whining like this rubbish.

What makes you think that your asssumptions are any more truthful than that of the CO? Blue Eagle said that he found a wide open path to this cache location. Do you honestly want me to believe that the same people that spent thousands of dollars in putting double fences and signs around their property merely "forgot" to put some more after a certain point? This "little crack" that you are talking about is a wooded area that covers many acres, not some trail behind a house.

If you spent any time at all analyzing the situation you would see that the fences surrounding the quarry are new and well maintained, where as there appears to be a fence that is quite old and weathered at the point where I listed the coords! The reason I posted the pic was to reassure people that we never had to cross those signs. Another interesting thought is brought to mind regarding the sign locations. Why would they put these signs on fences that are supposedly already inside their property? When we had the quarry between us and Walkers Line there were signs on that side too, who were those signs for? Would they put those signs up to warn themselves to "Keep Out" of their own property? Or could it be that they were warning people that were not on their property to keep out?

Try to see things with a little more logic, do you think that we are children that are ruled by impulse? You have met us both, we are average people that have families of our own and we definitely aren't thrill seekers, we aren't looking for trouble. Despite the fact that you know this, you spout off that we would kill animals to get to a cache! That is offensive and uncalled for, and it really makes you sound like a jealous younger brother. Please don't use these forums to insult me and my fellow cachers. These forums are here to discuss issues, to help educate, not to try and sound like a tough guy when you know that several local Geo-Heavies are listening. Do you hear the respect in the tone of the cachers that you admire? Most of the people on this thread are asking questions and demonstrating a lot of patience, try to follow suit. I hope you realize that people have feelings and don't appreciate being belittled.

Moral of the story: If you feel uneasy about a cache that has been approved, don't do it!

Mare and I felt comfortable with the "risk" as it were, and so we chose to move forward. If you wouldn't I can respect that too. There are going to be many caches where I am either unable or unwilling to make the journey, but some will. This is a community game and as such we can't attack each other whenever we disagree, but we can always hash it out on the forums!! Sorry for any trouble that I have caused!!

Wow! Another epidsode of the long-time running soap opera, The Young and the Cacheless.

Did the new year bring out the grumpiness in everyone?

If I wasn't working and had free time, you can be dang sure I would be outside right now caching away...not bickering about this or that cache or how it was done wrong or who went where or someone's inexperience or experience.

What is the reason why any of us publishes a cache? I thought it was so fellow geocachers can go and enjoy finding it, if they choose to do so or not. If not, then why complain about it? Skip it and let others go find it if they choose to do so themselves.

If a cache placement bothers you so much, why not use your experience and help newer ones or those less experienced with some upbuilding guidance? There is no need to tear anyone down for trying to bring enjoyment to others.

If any have offered up some suggestions or help to the cache owner, then good for them. I have always appreciated any help I can get from my fellow cachers(as I consider myself new to this sport still) and hope I too can help newer ones with what I have learned in the time I have been caching.

If the cache owner is reading these forums, don't let all the negative crap get to you. Thanks for providing us with a challenging cache and updating it when needed.

Anyhow, let's all have a big e-grouphug and get back to logging some new caches in the new year!

Capjap, Buttons and I went this morning and circled looking for an area to get in. Came up Derry from Guelph line and the are signs posted for both "No Trespassing and "Danger" posted on the fence. Left onto Walkers Line between Derry and 12 Side road there are many "DANGER" signs posted and it is heavly fenced in. After 12 Sideroad is the Quarry entrance with a "No Tresspasing" sign. Went down to where the stream comes out as the cache is actually on it and yep "No Tresspassing". Hmmmmmmmmmmmm circle around to Guelph Line and all the while there is "Danger" or no "Tresspassing signs" Get to Guelph line and Derry and there is a church with a cemetary and no signs saying to keep out and Parking to boot. Kinda makes sence to us that if all 4 sides of the area have signs keeping you out, than they don't want you in there so looking for that little crack in the system where someone messed up and didn't put a sign seemed kinda dumb if you look at the big picture. Loved the FTF log where they both mentioned they "only had to jump 1 fence" man that is freakin hillarious. And to post a pic of the Danger sign. Guess if 50 yards to the right of you is a Danger sign and 50 yards to the left of you there is a Danger sign and if there is only 1 fence to climb............this must be the way in. Flintstones log of "just being more determined" to get the FTF made me think that if the cache page said there were guard dogs in the area these guys would bring guns along. Pretend all you want about there being a way in, if you circle the area all the signs say STAY OUT. Just my opinion though. Won't be back here again...................I have to wonder what the CO said to the reviewer to get it unarchived.

Man, I have heard some good thoughts on this subject and then I have heard some soapbox whining like this rubbish.

What makes you think that your asssumptions are any more truthful than that of the CO? Blue Eagle said that he found a wide open path to this cache location. Do you honestly want me to believe that the same people that spent thousands of dollars in putting double fences and signs around their property merely "forgot" to put some more after a certain point? This "little crack" that you are talking about is a wooded area that covers many acres, not some trail behind a house.

If you spent any time at all analyzing the situation you would see that the fences surrounding the quarry are new and well maintained, where as there appears to be a fence that is quite old and weathered at the point where I listed the coords! The reason I posted the pic was to reassure people that we never had to cross those signs. Another interesting thought is brought to mind regarding the sign locations. Why would they put these signs on fences that are supposedly already inside their property? When we had the quarry between us and Walkers Line there were signs on that side too, who were those signs for? Would they put those signs up to warn themselves to "Keep Out" of their own property? Or could it be that they were warning people that were not on their property to keep out?

Try to see things with a little more logic, do you think that we are children that are ruled by impulse? You have met us both, we are average people that have families of our own and we definitely aren't thrill seekers, we aren't looking for trouble. Despite the fact that you know this, you spout off that we would kill animals to get to a cache! That is offensive and uncalled for, and it really makes you sound like a jealous younger brother. Please don't use these forums to insult me and my fellow cachers. These forums are here to discuss issues, to help educate, not to try and sound like a tough guy when you know that several local Geo-Heavies are listening. Do you hear the respect in the tone of the cachers that you admire? Most of the people on this thread are asking questions and demonstrating a lot of patience, try to follow suit. I hope you realize that people have feelings and don't appreciate being belittled.

Moral of the story: If you feel uneasy about a cache that has been approved, don't do it!

Mare and I felt comfortable with the "risk" as it were, and so we chose to move forward. If you wouldn't I can respect that too. There are going to be many caches where I am either unable or unwilling to make the journey, but some will. This is a community game and as such we can't attack each other whenever we disagree, but we can always hash it out on the forums!! Sorry for any trouble that I have caused!!

Think that in the name of "public courtesy" I will reply to this rant with a personal email.

I went out this morning with my son and Blue_Eagle to find this cache and it is just like any other cache where you have to hike to. The cache is there, nicely hidden, nice walk (3km round trip), most of it on trails, nice area...isn't that what we all want? We see so many people complain about drivebys then when someone comes along, regardless if they are new to geocaching.com or not as it really should not matter at all as we were all new at one point. They make the effort to place a good cache and they receive grief for it. Sure maybe the cache owner made some mistakes in his cache description and is still learning, but instead of jumping all over him and his cache, why not make the effort to email and offer your help if you see that there might be a problem.

So access is not from the closest road and you have to figure out your approach to the cache. What is wrong with that? Isn't that part of the adventure sometimes? We don't need to have every cache handed to us, where would the fun be in that. If you feel uncomfortable about a certain approach or are unsure about how to approach the easiest thing to do would be to contact the cache owner or do some more research and come back another day.

Also, the way we approached, we saw only 1 No Tresspassing sign and that was a good 50m in the distance and never had to get any closer to that. There was never any need to cross any fences and never saw any danger signs.

Take an hour to enjoy this cache and the area, or just skip it if you can't figure out the approach. There's hundreds of other caches in the area to enjoy too that you don't need to do this one if you choose not to. I know I am glad we went this morning as we enjoyed it.

Sounds like a fun cache. As long as I can figure out how to get to it without trespassing, I will try it in the Spring. I say Spring because when I look at the terrain/satellite maps it looks like the kind of place I'd rather see in the warmer weather.

Based on res2100's note posted before mine, it sounds great for a group caching day. :rolleyes:

:P BQ

Also, the way we approached, we saw only 1 No Tresspassing sign and that was a good 50m in the distance and never had to get any closer to that. There was never any need to cross any fences and never saw any danger signs.

Take an hour to enjoy this cache and the area, or just skip it if you can't figure out the approach. There's hundreds of other caches in the area to enjoy too that you don't need to do this one if you choose not to. I know I am glad we went this morning as we enjoyed it.

Thanks res2100, especially for posting that track log on the cache page. I may explore this cache yet, now that I know it can be done without a fence crossing.

Sounds like a fun cache. As long as I can figure out how to get to it without trespassing, I will try it in the Spring. I say Spring because when I look at the terrain/satellite maps it looks like the kind of place I'd rather see in the warmer weather.

Based on res2100's note posted before mine, it sounds great for a group caching day. :rolleyes:

Looks like Blue Eagle was onto something and Res's track log and pics comfirm it. Being a decent hike the dogs would love this. I didn't know how I was gonna lift them over the fence as they both come in at over 100 lbs each. Think I may also wait for the warmer weather so when do you want to head out BQ.

Maybe there should be a time constraint before someone is allowed to plant a cache. This cacher signed up on Christmas Day (5 days ago), planted a box the next day (Boxing Day) and found one cache yesterday. This is the 5th cacher in the area this year that I know of that followed similar patterns - sign up, plant a cache within a few days of sign up (usually within the first week), usually zero finds, sometimes 1-5 finds, place a bad cache (really bad coordinates, ignoring 'no trespassing/danger' signs, leaky containers, no response to finder complaints, caches end up archived by the reviewer). I'd like to see a cacher show some commitment to the game (maybe 3 months after sign up), some interest in it (in the form of actually pursuing caches of different types) and some understanding of it (maybe a short quiz about the guidelines) when someone plants their first cache.

Hmmmm interesting theory Lone R... but I disagree with your assessment. The first ever cachers didn't need to hunt for 3 months...who would have placed the caches..? Remember this is a game and anyone is allowed (and encouraged) to play. I agree that everyone needs to read and play within the rules but a short quiz, a time commitment and proof of interest..? C'mon....do we need a special license to hide tupperware and then go find it...? People who aren't going to stick with it will soon have their caches disabled and archived anyway. It's a game and not everyone will play by the rules. Get out and enjoy the fresh air and scenery.

After reading Flintstones trashing of me and instead of repling in the forum I stated I was going to mail him personally. Well had to send him 2 mails cause Groundspeak limits your mail from the profile to 5000 letters. Have yet to hear a responce from him here or in my personal mail. Guess he got my point. Funny how the canary isn't chirping anymore now that no one has took his advice on how to get to this cache.

After reading Flintstones trashing of me and instead of repling in the forum I stated I was going to mail him personally. Well had to send him 2 mails cause Groundspeak limits your mail from the profile to 5000 letters. Have yet to hear a responce from him here or in my personal mail. Guess he got my point. Funny how the canary isn't chirping anymore now that no one has took his advice on how to get to this cache.

Take my silence as a hint. You were rude and childish and I knew that responding really wouldn't be productive. If anyone would like to read the email that "Mr.ToughGuyOnForums" sent me, you can contact me through my profile and I can send it to you for a good laugh.

Regarding the cache, remember, if I jump one fence from the road and get to a piece of land that is accepted as public, then we are either all correct or all wrong.

Take my silence as a hint. You were rude and childish and I knew that responding really wouldn't be productive. If anyone would like to read the email that "Mr.ToughGuyOnForums" sent me, you can contact me through my profile and I can send it to you for a good laugh.

Regarding the cache, remember, if I jump one fence from the road and get to a piece of land that is accepted as public, then we are either all correct or all wrong.

Feel free to send his e-mail over to me, please.

I thought this was all over with but if someone is going to continue to instigate for no apparent reason, then yes, I could really use a good laugh.

Thanks.

What I am gathering from the descriptions of the area is the quarry owns some of the land and has no concern for the section where res2100 walked in. If I walked into the woods without crossing a no trespassing sign but see them on either side of me, that would tell me that I am not trespassing. Like pointed out earlier, why would anyone put no trespassing sign inside the area that is blocked off.

As for being charged with trespassing, in Ontario you have to be told verbally to leave then fail to leave, or come back.

Looks like some posters here have some rage to take of. May I suggest you go for a long walk and maybe find some caches?

What I am gathering from the descriptions of the area is the quarry owns some of the land and has no concern for the section where res2100 walked in. If I walked into the woods without crossing a no trespassing sign but see them on either side of me, that would tell me that I am not trespassing. Like pointed out earlier, why would anyone put no trespassing sign inside the area that is blocked off.

I hope the CO will add something to the description that the entrance is behind the church on Guelph Line and that there's no need to jump a fence. The information in res2100's log will shortly disappear off the radar, so it's not sufficient to prevent others from entering from the wrong location or being frustrated because they don't know how to enter the area appropriately.

Edited by Lone R

Kinda reminds me of all those road allowance caches that I've visited. You end up walking between fences on property that very much looks like private property, but is in fact public land.

Putting a No Trespassing sign 500 metres from the nearest road wouldn't make much sense - unless, of course there are two property owners here instead of just one (and a hyperactive Health & Safety dept at the Quarry)

Based on res2100's note posted before mine, it sounds great for a group caching day. :(

Looks like Blue Eagle was onto something and Res's track log and pics comfirm it. Being a decent hike the dogs would love this. I didn't know how I was gonna lift them over the fence as they both come in at over 100 lbs each. Think I may also wait for the warmer weather so when do you want to head out BQ.

Hey John&Deere, that sounds great! How does a Saturday afternoon in April sound?

:D BQ

Based on res2100's note posted before mine, it sounds great for a group caching day. :(

Hey John&Deere, that sounds great! How does a Saturday afternoon in April sound?

:D BQ

Based on res2100's note posted before mine, it sounds great for a group caching day. ;)

;) BQ

:ph34r: BQ

Works for me.