Mapquest won't upload maps to 76CSx

Clothahump

Latest version of Mapquest, latest drivers, latest software from Garmin.

I build a mapset and start sending. It gets about 25% done and blows out with the "There was an error communicating with your device" error msg.

Anyone have a similar problem? Any suggestions?

Running out of space on the card?

I build a mapset and start sending. It gets about 25% done and blows out with the "There was an error communicating with your device" error msg.

Do you mean MapQuest, or is that a typo? If you really mean MapSource, I have better success with version 6.13.7. When transferring I disable the screensaver and close all other programs. When the latest version was released I installed it. After several attempts to load maps I gave up and reverted back to a previous version.

Mapquest doesn't send maps to your GPS, using the Send to GPS option will send routes or waypoints:

76ef7248-8cc3-4fbc-b9ab-3fb72d3a370f.jpg. If you are having problems with this, what internet browser (also platform/version) are you using?

My apologies for not updating sooner.

Yes, it is Mapsource, not Mapquest - my bad.

And apparently, Garmin has a very serious issue when trying to upload directly to the GPS unit. Nothing seems to work. The solution was to pop the 2mb memory card, put it in an interface and pop it into my laptop's slot, then upload to that device. Worked like a champ.

My apologies for not updating sooner.

Yes, it is Mapsource, not Mapquest - my bad.

And apparently, Garmin has a very serious issue when trying to upload directly to the GPS unit. Nothing seems to work. The solution was to pop the 2mb memory card, put it in an interface and pop it into my laptop's slot, then upload to that device. Worked like a champ.

Could be a problem with the USB cord or connection. Anyway. the USB port on the Garmin is v1.2, and is quite slow. You're almost always better off plugging in the card to the PC.

Yes, uploading directly to the card is always faster. Not being a patient person I learned that with my iQue 3600 about six years ago. Since then I've never bothered to load maps directly to the unit. Always direct to the card. The only thing I transfer direct to the unit is waypoints and routes.

...ken...

With my 76CSx I've done it both ways - direct to the unit and with the card in a reader. Yes, the reader is faster but I never had an issue sending directly to the unit from MapSource.

I have to send a route tonight to my new 78S. Hopefully that goes well as I need the route in place so I can leave this weekend on a 2 week camping and caching trip to Oregon and Washington. We're planning to hit Olympia National Park and Mount Rainier National Park as well as GeoWoodstock VIII.