The tiniest codes

power69

Before it gets moved by a mod to another forum, here's a tool that will help :

http://store.exploratorium.edu/browse.cfm/4,4222.html

What camera and/or what lens are you using for macro?

Thanks. I might have seen this if it had been moved as I don't read the coins forum, but I occassionally pick up coins and there have been some that I couldn't read the tracking number without a magnifying glass. That little microscope looks like it would work even better.

Thanks. I might have seen this if it had been moved as I don't read the coins forum, but I occassionally pick up coins and there have been some that I couldn't read the tracking number without a magnifying glass. That little microscope looks like it would work even better.

I found the microscope at the Exploratorium (in San Francisco). It looks identical to the one listed in the gifts section of the December issue of Wired, but at almost half the price (esp. since I'm a member and don't need to pay for shipping). Got one for the kids for Christmas, works pretty well for examining things when we're out hiking.

The one that Wired mentioned is a Carson MicroBrite MM-24.

I haven't seen the fantasy butterfly coin, but I think it would have to be pretty small to compete with the miniature tracking number on the Sou'Wester ACGA group coin. I have yet to meet someone who can read that code with the naked eye.

When handing out or trading one of these coins, I have to take a picture of the tracking number with my digital camera and use Photoshop to enlarge the image before I can make it out!!

I haven't seen the fantasy butterfly coin, but I think it would have to be pretty small to compete with the miniature tracking number on the Sou'Wester ACGA group coin. I have yet to meet someone who can read that code with the naked eye.

When handing out or trading one of these coins, I have to take a picture of the tracking number with my digital camera and use Photoshop to enlarge the image before I can make it out!!

The fantasy butterfly is a 2.5" coin.

todaystrademail.jpg

But it begs the question of how many coins may be getting lost in the wild due to illegible tracking numbers. Just sayin'.

Edited by Droo
But it begs the question of how many coins may be getting lost in the wild due to illegible tracking numbers. Just sayin'.

Good question. There is another coin I purchased recently that had 2 numbers on them - one (the incorrect one) is much more prominant on the center of the face of the coin and the real tracking number is etched on the edge of the coin and is quite hard to read. The manufacturer had indicated to me that this has caused confusion even when people tried to activate their coins. I can only imagine the confusion if one were to release one of them into the wild.

I have put the tracking number on my buddy tag and attached it to the coin when the code is very small and hard to read. I often wonder if an unscrupulous cacher might remove the tag and keep the coin, sending the tag out to travel alone in its place? I guess time will tell.

I understand sometimes it is hard to get the tracking number to fit in with a coin's design. But personally, I wish more consideration were given to people who like to release coins and manufacturers and designers would make those tracking codes more user-friendly.

My 2 cents. ;)

I definitely agree with this. It is TINY!!!!

Hey pretty Crystal :).... You made a very pretty coin!

I haven't seen it from close but I have seen the photos and.... WOW!!! :D

You do not have to apologize for making the tracking number so small! I am sure we all understand! this day is a day that should find us with a smile in our face and in our posts! :) I hope the small sad face in your post will change and a bright smile will enlight your face again! :lol:

Happy new year my friend!!! :) Happy new year to all!!! :D

I apologize for making the tracking number so small on the butterfly coin. Due to the detail of the design I could not find another way to get them into the coin. :)

Crystal this was only your second coin and you haven't really been around long enough to understand the problem with tiny tracking codes (besides you're young and your eyes probably function quite well without the use of extra optics). But your vendour has extensive experience and it'd have been nice if they caught it.

Maybe these should be sold at coin vendour sites as required tools of the trade.....

16993.jpg

I apologize for making the tracking number so small on the butterfly coin. Due to the detail of the design I could not find another way to get them into the coin. :)

Crystal this was only your second coin and you haven't really been around long enough to understand the problem with tiny tracking codes (besides you're young and your eyes probably function quite well without the use of extra optics). But your vendour has extensive experience and it'd have been nice if they caught it.

Maybe these should be sold at coin vendour sites as required tools of the trade.....

16993.jpg

:) I bought a microscope from a supermarket here for about 5 euros... not only it works great... Jesus... our hair is.... Oh boy!!! :lol:

What about magnifying glasses?? there are some quite good!!!

I'm the proud owner of a coin listing that I virtually stole from someone else! I can't get rid of it, I can't send it back, the vendor said he'd help me out, but that hasn't happened, and I don't know what to do about it! I used a good magnifying glass to read the number and double checked it because it was so darn small.

I read not one, but two Zs in the number as 2s. I then went to the vendor site, requested and received a code, then went on to activate the coin. Guess what? When you hit enter with the code in the box at GC, you own that bugger and there's no backing out. I've never seen the coin, but I own it's listing. :)

I'm trying real hard to pretend that I didn't do anything wrong and/or I just don't care, but some day the person that owns that coin is going to want that listing and I've got it!

Personally, I appreciate vendors that use Coin Codes or that type system where I have to identify the coin before I can enter a number.

Now, rant over, back on subject. My eyes have been bad for awhile, so I use a lighted, desktop magnifying glass to read most coin #s and the Fantasy Butterflies' numbers popped right up, but I've got several that were a stretch to figure out.

TINY NUMBERS SUCK!

I apologize for making the tracking number so small on the butterfly coin. Due to the detail of the design I could not find another way to get them into the coin. :anibad:

I bet a lot of these will be mistaken for swag because looking at it you cant tell theres a code there[at least its not on the sides, that would have been really tough]

its a gorgeous coin however.