Garmin Advice

whinger

Hello,

I currently own a Garmin Colorado 400t, which I have never been fully satisfied with. I have returned it before and been shipped a newer model, but it's still buggy enough that I use my iPhone for clarification quite a bit. I figured that would be it for me and I'd just carry the two around when I go geocaching. I've been reading about the Oregon 450t and that sounds (on paper) like a nice upgrade from my current GPS. Is it worth it?

My issues with the Colorado are -

GPS bounce happens all the time (my main gripe).

Not water or dust proof, and needs the scroll wheel to be cleaned regularly or it stops working.

Introduced as the flagship GPS and less than a year later is replaced by the Oregon series. From that point forward the updates have become more infrequent. Appears to be abandoned by Garmin.

The compass caused more confusion than clarity and had to be turned off as it regularly pointed the wrong direction.

SLOW startup.

What I like about the Colorado -

Basemaps, and elevation maps.

Paperless geocaching.

Ability to communicte to my Mac.

The Oregon 450t looks quite nice at first blush, but I wonder if I'm being lead down the same path. or if it's even worth upgrading from what I currently have. Ditching the scroll wheel will be nice, holding more geocaches is nice, having a product that is fully supported and still worked on by Garmin would be a benefit. Are there any other things that I'm missing here? Is the reception any better? I imagine the 3-axis compass would be nice if it functions like the one in my iPhone and not how the electronic compass in my Colorado works.

Basically, am I throwing away my money by buying from Garmin again, or is this enough of an upgrade to warrant another try? I have owned several GPSs before, all Garmins and have loved them all until the Colorado.

I have an Oregon that I have converted to a paperweight. The signal reception is horrible. It never gets WAAS especially if I walk by a tree. The arrow stick problem has never gone away. I bought a Colorado. if you want to buy my Oregon 400t send me a PM. The base problem is the antenna. The helix is the best antenna they ever had.

Although I don't NEED the paperless features, it's something that I am hesitant to leave behind. Technically I could DL everything to my iPhone and use that for the paperless aspects. But what I'm hearing so far is that I shouldn't bother with an upgrade as the issues I have still seem to be issues. That's what I was looking for.

Thank you very much all who have responded, I appreciate it.

Edited by whinger

I would go with a Colorado 300 and not the 60. The 300 gieves you all the paperless features and the helix antenna. I do miss the touchscreen but not enough to go back. The 300 and 60 are the same price in several places. Then get the 24K maps for your area on the DVD. The maps are routable and have all the POI's of the CN series.

Hello,

I currently own a Garmin Colorado 400t, which I have never been fully satisfied with. I have returned it before and been shipped a newer model, but it's still buggy enough that I use my iPhone for clarification quite a bit. I figured that would be it for me and I'd just carry the two around when I go geocaching. I've been reading about the Oregon 450t and that sounds (on paper) like a nice upgrade from my current GPS. Is it worth it?

My issues with the Colorado are -

GPS bounce happens all the time (my main gripe).

Not water or dust proof, and needs the scroll wheel to be cleaned regularly or it stops working.

Introduced as the flagship GPS and less than a year later is replaced by the Oregon series. From that point forward the updates have become more infrequent. Appears to be abandoned by Garmin.

The compass caused more confusion than clarity and had to be turned off as it regularly pointed the wrong direction.

SLOW startup.

What I like about the Colorado -

Basemaps, and elevation maps.

Paperless geocaching.

Ability to communicte to my Mac.

The Oregon 450t looks quite nice at first blush, but I wonder if I'm being lead down the same path. or if it's even worth upgrading from what I currently have. Ditching the scroll wheel will be nice, holding more geocaches is nice, having a product that is fully supported and still worked on by Garmin would be a benefit. Are there any other things that I'm missing here? Is the reception any better? I imagine the 3-axis compass would be nice if it functions like the one in my iPhone and not how the electronic compass in my Colorado works.

Basically, am I throwing away my money by buying from Garmin again, or is this enough of an upgrade to warrant another try? I have owned several GPSs before, all Garmins and have loved them all until the Colorado.

I recently upgraded to an Oregon 300 ( I already have the topo maps, so no need to buy the 400t). So far I really like it. The touch screen is great (althought I do wish it were a bit brighter - but not a deal killer). It is very easy to use, and extremely geocaching friendly. The screen is large enough so that I can actually read it and distinguish the nuances of the topo map. The ability to scan a map by dragging your finger across the screen is very handy. Overall I really like the unit. I suggest that you go to a retail store and compare it to others. REI is a great place because they will let you turn on the various units and take them outside.

Happy New Year

OldA'sFan